AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-09, 13:16   Link #17541
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Population counts suggest there are nearly 6 million (more like 5.7 million really) Jews in Israel. There are a little over 5 million (about 5.3 million) Jews in the United States (as it was by far the safest place to go from all the various purges over the last two centuries). No other country can boast a Jewish population of over a million. France is offically the closest with nearly a half million Jews. The total world population is estimated to be about 13.4 million Jews across the entire planet. That's not really all that many people compared to the other 7 BILLION people.

I respect the jew (to a point, I have worked for them and have found some friendly and some to be assholes). I can get along with them in some things. I've found that Israeli born Jews and Arabs do have one thing in common in terms of personality. They love to haggle and argue. Mostly argue. Once you are on their good side, they treat you almost like family, and won't argue with you as much. However the Israeli governement as simpyl worn away the respect they earned due to their back and forth over Palestine. I use to think it was just settlements encroaching in form the Israeli side of the border into the West Bank. That was annoying, but somewhat expected. What I didn't know about was the settlements being built along the Jordan River along the West Bank's border to Jordan. Why would you have settlements away over there? The Israeli border is no were near that place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Settlements2006.jpg

The method is probably the problem. The question becomes, "what does Israel hope to accomplish with this tactic?" They just constrict more and more, and yet claim they want not just peace but also the establishment of a Palestinian state. Just under what terms though. That has been the question. How far can this drag out before such a State is no longer sustainable? How long until Israel is forced to take it from the Palestinians forever?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-11-09 at 15:58.
Old 2011-11-09, 13:30   Link #17542
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post

I am not surprised you are calling this racist, but you certainly can't deny the great influence of Israel in US foreign policy.
another lobby considered almost as powerful in the U.S is the Armenian lobby (believe it or not).
is anyone going to claim that the Armenians are secretly running U.S politics ?

events in the middle east have very little to do with U.S politics.
especially during this particular presidents term.
Old 2011-11-09, 13:31   Link #17543
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The question becomes, "what does Israel hope to accomplish with this tactic?"
Expanding their territory, by creating faits accomplis. If a Palestinian state is ever to be created and borders are to be defined, they can say "Israelis live here, so this is part of Israel".

When Germans were expelled from eastern Europe after World War 2, Poles, Russians etc. (were) settled there. After the German reunification and the regain of its sovereignty, decades after World War 2, there was no way that Germany was gonna get its land back. It will be the same for Palestine one day.
Old 2011-11-09, 13:39   Link #17544
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I respect the jew (to a point, I have worked for them and have found some friendly and some to be assholes). I can get along with them in some things. I've found that Israeli born Jews and Arabs do have one thing in common in terms of personality. They love to haggle and argue. Mostly argue. Once you are on their good side, they treat you almost like family, and won't argue with you as much. However the Israeli governement as simpyl worn away the respect they earned due to their back and forth over Palestine. I use to think it was just settlements encroaching in form the Israeli side of the border into the West Bank. That was annoying, but somewhat expected. What I didn't know about was the settlements being built along the Jordan River along the West Bank's border to Jordan. Why would you have settlements away over there? The Israeli border is no were near that place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Settlements2006.jpg

The method is probably the problem. The question becomes, "what does Israel hope to accomplish with this tactic?" They just constrict more and more, and yet claim they want not just peace but also the establishment of a Palestinian state. Just under what terms though. That has been the question. How far can this drag out before such a State is no longer sustainable? How long until Israel is forced to take it from the Palestinians forever?
You seem to believe the state of Israel uses settlements as some kind of enterprise. Indeed, perhaps originally this was so as after Israel gave back the Sinai to Egypt, Menachem Begin was quite keen to promote Jews returning to the wider parts of their ancestral homeland that Israel won in the defensive 6 day war.

Now is an entirely different story. Settlements continue to grow because that's life. There's 500,000 Israeli Jews over the green line and many Israeli arabs there also. These people will continue to get married, have children and live their lives in the place they were brought up. You can't stop that.

Now the Palestinian Authority has gone on record as saying that any future PA state would be Jew-free. That's both racist and quite frankly impossible. It's one thing to complain about the settlements, but the facts on the ground are that they are there and they aren't going anywhere.
Old 2011-11-09, 13:55   Link #17545
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Expanding their territory, by creating faits accomplis. If a Palestinian state is ever to be created and borders are to be defined, they can say "Israelis live here, so this is part of Israel".

When Germans were expelled from eastern Europe after World War 2, Poles, Russians etc. (were) settled there. After the German reunification and the regain of its sovereignty, decades after World War 2, there was no way that Germany was gonna get its land back. It will be the same for Palestine one day.
You hit the nail on the head, or at least it looks like this is the final aim. Please watch this video and skip to minute 22:00 which goes into deep detail of the Israeli settlements.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26245072381061
Old 2011-11-09, 14:12   Link #17546
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:

To be fair, Germany is/was a country. The West Bank was settled (illegally!) prior to 1967 by Jordan but has never had any Palestian state and no pre-determined borders of Palestine exist.

Either which way, it's all history now. The settlers (read: Jews) are there, what now?
Old 2011-11-09, 14:13   Link #17547
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
You seem to believe the state of Israel uses settlements as some kind of enterprise. Indeed, perhaps originally this was so as after Israel gave back the Sinai to Egypt, Menachem Begin was quite keen to promote Jews returning to the wider parts of their ancestral homeland that Israel won in the defensive 6 day war.

Now is an entirely different story. Settlements continue to grow because that's life. There's 500,000 Israeli Jews over the green line and many Israeli arabs there also. These people will continue to get married, have children and live their lives in the place they were brought up. You can't stop that.

Now the Palestinian Authority has gone on record as saying that any future PA state would be Jew-free. That's both racist and quite frankly impossible. It's one thing to complain about the settlements, but the facts on the ground are that they are there and they aren't going anywhere.
I think that's why Mahmoud Abbas agreed to the principles of land swaps:
http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=176148
Old 2011-11-09, 14:26   Link #17548
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Land swaps are fine, but you still can't insist there be a total cessation of building (even in areas you have absolutely no interest in obtaining) in the meantime. Settlements account for a tiny portion of the west bank, between 1-3%, it's really not the big issue some people seem hell bent on painting it as.
Old 2011-11-09, 14:32   Link #17549
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Land swaps are fine, but you still can't insist there be a total cessation of building (even in areas you have absolutely no interest in obtaining) in the meantime. Settlements account for a tiny portion of the west bank, between 1-3%, it's really not the big issue some people seem hell bent on painting it as.
Not a big issue??? Did you check my post above?
Old 2011-11-09, 14:38   Link #17550
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

the settlements are NOT a big deal.
as proven when, after they were REMOVED from Gaza, violence only increased by a very large amount.
Old 2011-11-09, 14:39   Link #17551
sneaker

Quote:
Either which way, it's all history now. The settlers (read: Jews) are there, what now?
That was my point, entirely. Israel wants to create this exact situation.
Old 2011-11-09, 14:41   Link #17552
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
That was my point, entirely. Israel wants to create this exact situation.
that IS the exact situation.
its not that Israeli WANTS to create it, but that its already on the ground, and has BEEN the way since before you or I were born.
what are you going to do about it.
Old 2011-11-09, 14:45   Link #17553
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
the settlements are NOT a big deal.
as proven when, after they were REMOVED from Gaza, violence only increased by a very large amount.
They are a big deal. It is simple math: Occupation = War. The American media downplays the Palestinian suffering and Jews and Arabs who are against the occupation.
Old 2011-11-09, 14:47   Link #17554
sneaker

Quote:
that IS the exact situation.
its not that Israeli WANTS to create it, but that its already on the ground, and has BEEN the way since before you or I were born.
But they are continuing to expand, right? It's not just the past, but also the present and the future.

Quote:
what are you going to do about it.
Nothing, of course. Israel has created and is creating even more facts while the world still discusses the matter over and over again. (fait accompli) That's the point.
Old 2011-11-09, 14:50   Link #17555
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
They are a big deal. It is simple math: Occupation = War.
you've got it backwards, because its War that led to occupation in this case.
and in the case of Gaza, removing them led to War.

Quote:
The American media downplays the Palestinian suffering and Jews and Arabs who are against the occupation
and i don't know what its like in the American media, but in the Israeli media, the voices that oppose the occupation are OVER-played.
its just that most just ignore them as the delusional children that they are.

Quote:
But they are continuing to expand, right? It's not just the past, but also the present and the future.
whats the difference.
once its on the ground, what does it matter how many buildings there are.

Quote:
Nothing, of course. Israel has created and is creating even more facts while the world still discusses the matter over and over again. (fait accompli) That's the point
and ... ?
Old 2011-11-09, 15:09   Link #17556
sneaker

Quote:
whats the difference.
once its on the ground, what does it matter how many buildings there are.
More buildings, more people = even stronger arguments for Israel.

Quote:
and ... ?
No "ands".
Old 2011-11-09, 15:11   Link #17557
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
More buildings, more people = even stronger arguments for Israel.
again.
more buildings does NOT lead to more people.
its exactly the other way around.
more people require more buildings.

and this is NOT a stronger argument for Israel so much as a strong argument for birth control.
Old 2011-11-09, 15:17   Link #17558
sneaker

Quote:
again.
more buildings does NOT lead to more people.
its exactly the other way around.
more people require more buildings.
Really? So if I don't build more buildings, people will just start living in the desert? Or will they move to other cities? There is no strict serial order in that, number of buildings and number of people are connected in some way or the other. Not that it matters....

We should drop this, I don't even know why you quoted me in the first place. My whole argument is in my very first post on this matter, there is nothing more I can add.
Old 2011-11-09, 15:22   Link #17559
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Really? So if I don't build more buildings, people will just start living in the desert? Or will they move to other cities? There is no strict serial order in that, number of buildings and number of people are connected in some way or the other. Not that it matters....
my point was that the settlements grow as all cities grow.
not as a result of mass migration of people to them, but as a result of people living their lives there.
couples get married, children are born, towns grow.

like Darkbeat pointed out, its not a result of some government conspiracy to annex territories, but a simple fact of life.
Old 2011-11-09, 15:30   Link #17560
sneaker

Aaah, now I get your point. I was wondering, what you got so hung up about.
I must admit, that I don't know the settlement situation to an extend where I could specify how much is mere natural growth by birth surplus and what is political expansion. Though I still adhere to my initial point, even if that policy is not followed to this day.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international