AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-20, 18:53   Link #1
Fuyuno

Some good seinen shows for my wife

Yes don't laugh at me because I'm married and still being as anime fan. Right now she caught me watching some of my favorite shows and she wants to see some anime with me. My idea is I want her to see some seinen(and little bit shounen) shows because I don't want her to become a shoujo or yaoi fangirl. Call me undemocratic but I don't want a yaoi fangirl as a wife. I bet some of you also don't want that too.
Old 2011-10-20, 18:58   Link #2
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

1. Yosuga no Sora
A good seinen romance show with some sex and nudity(and incest too) and hope your kids won't be like them.

2. Clannad
Results may vary but lots of people(male and female) saw and loved it.

3. Amagami SS
Much like YnS but without sex and actual nudity. Turn off your brains bit when watching it.

Must avoid:

School Days: Annoying fiasco and loved for very bad reason.
Old 2011-10-20, 18:58   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I cannot recommend Cross Game highly enough. Now that's a great couples show.
Old 2011-10-20, 20:14   Link #4
Undertaker

when you said seinen, are you implying it as a genre that strictly include seinen manga adaptions, if so those are few and far between.

If you mean seinen in a more general "young adults" term, it's better if you list a few series that you consider as "seinen" and what genre you are looking for (romance, action, slice of life, etc), since nonw of the series Kameruka mentions are seinen titles, they are eroge (hentai games) adaptions with exception of Amagami SS with base on it's CERO rating of the game is more of a shonen title than seinen in general speaking term. And Cross Game is shonen.
Old 2011-10-20, 22:35   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
For watching with a wife?

Depends a lot on her tastes.

I'd suggest the following:

Crest of the Stars is probably the number one suggestion I'd give. It has a bit of everything. Strong character development, adventure, action, plot, a small bit of romance. It's Sci-Fi so if she has strong feeling either way about Sci-Fi you'll need to take that into account.

Clannad for the comedy/melodrama, Clannad: Afterstory for the Melodrama. If she likes that kind of stuff.

Cross Game if she likes heartwarming stories. Or if she likes baseball. Think For The Love Of The Game crossed with The Wonder Years.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood if she likes adventure/action shows.

Madoka Magica if she has any childhood memories of Sailor Moon or any other magical girl anime this might be a huge hit with her. Some rather intense and traumatic scenes. Also, this one is actually seinen, the others listed above are shounen.

Maison Ikkoku for romantic comedy. Be warned there is some nudity in the first season (mainly in the first episode). Another seinen.

Neon Genesis Evangelion if she likes Mind Screws.

Read or Die (the OVAs) if you want something shorter, so not as big a time investment. Shows some of the truly zany ideas that can be shown in anime. Think if James Bond was crossed with X-Men and embodied in a mousy librarian.

Shiki if she likes horror.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2011-10-20 at 22:47.
Old 2011-10-20, 22:45   Link #6
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Toradora! for romantic comedy and drama in the second half. It's technically shounen romance but has good rounded characters.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for laughs and for a strong but eccentric female character and a witty, sarcastic male protagonist.

Ah! My Goddess is also a nice, heartwarming and somewhat funny show.

Aria: The Animation because it's so relaxing.
Old 2011-10-21, 04:12   Link #7
Ermes Marana

Fullmetal Alchemist (the first one). I can recommend it confidently for your situation.

I'm not saying it's better, but in terms of early character development and getting emotionally attached to the characters, yeah, it is better. You could always watch Brotherhood afterward.
Old 2011-10-21, 04:17   Link #8
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Your wife may like Hataraki Man and Ryoko's Case Files, though these are not seinen or shounen (so I'm not sure if you will like them). Both have adult female protagonists. No yaoi.
Old 2011-10-21, 06:42   Link #9
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Cross Game is indeed great family entertainment,you can watch it with your kids if you have any.

I'd recomend Steins Gate , she might have trouble understanding some of the humour but it'd be a nice way to introduce her to otaku culture.

True tears is a nice romance anime

phantom:requiem for the phantom is a story about assassins

Shiki is a nice horror anime

shigofumi is a nice dark story as well

Kaiji is a seinen anime on gambling

If you want to play a prank on her you can make her think madoka magica is a standard shoujo show (which isn't the case)

I can't resist asking,what's so bad about shoujo?Despite your remark I'll still suggest to check out the recent Usagi drop and the currently airing Chihayafuru
Old 2011-10-21, 08:41   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Another vote for Hataraki Man, though it can a bit hard to track down (try Google). It was serialized in a seinen magazine, so I think we classify it as such. Yakushiji Ryoko also qualifies as seinen for the same reason. It's not as compelling as Hataraki Man, but it has a witty script with excellent performances by the main couple.

I'll suggest two other seinen shows with female protagonists: Nijuu Mensou no Musume and Shion no Ou. The first concerns a young heiress who becomes involved with a mysterious master thief. It's loosely derived from the novels of Edogawa Rampo, perhaps Japan's most famous mystery author. Shion witnesses the horrible murder of her parents when she was four. The show begins as she enters middle school, but her lifelong goal is to become a professional Shougi ("Japanese chess") player. The anime follows her trek through the Shougi ranks while a detective tries to find her parents' murderer.

If she doesn't mind occasional violence, she might like Kure-nai. The titular character is a teen-aged boy who is tasked with protecting a seven-year-old girl whose family hides a dark secret.

I'll suggest one josei story, Saiunkoku Monongatari, about a young woman living in a fictitious Asian empire similar to T'ang China. She wants to become her country's first female government official. Great performance by Kuwashima Houko in the starring role and lots of male and female eye-candy for you both. (This show is in licensing limbo, so it's a bit hard to track down at the moment.)

I'll close with two other fictitious Asian dramas, Seirei no Moribito and Twelve Kingdoms. The first stars one of the greatest heroines in all of anime; the second portrays perhaps the most profound character development in anime.
Old 2011-10-23, 12:21   Link #11
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

I think it's great that you and your wife are watching anime together

I'd suggest you watch Samurai Champloo, some Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for the shounen experience. Some Texhnolyze for the dystopian cyberpunk.

Alternatively, turn her in to a space wars/gundam maniac by letting her watch Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu All of the Macross series, and all of the Gundam series. I am sure these will take several months of watching, but she will love what I love afterwards... Now that I think about this, it may not be such a good idea, but I'll leave it there just in case.

Oh, let her watch Angel Beats, it is waaaay toooo funny, and let her watch Full Metal Panic as well. You can't go wrong with these

Edit:
I'd also second Kure-Nai as listed above. I loved it!! Also, in the same timeline is the Denpa Teki na Kanojo OVAs, a two episode series. Also a great watch!
And, on a similar note to Kure-Nai is Usagi Drop. All women should love Usagi drop.

That is all.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-10-23, 14:20   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
If you would, please come back here later and let us know how it goes.

I for one would love some empirical evidence on how to best introduce a woman to anime.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-10-23, 15:39   Link #13
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

I for one would love some empirical evidence on how to best introduce a woman to anime.
+1
me too, I'd love to see if you succeed. And tell us in detail how you did it :O

Old 2011-10-23, 15:47   Link #14
Kirito
Tease to Please!♥

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
World That God Only Knows - You can't go wrong with that. Hilarious main lead and he has an adorable partner to boot.

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners - If you like murder mystery and the supernatural this is for you.

Baccano! - Really gory, but there were some funny and eyebrow raising moments.
Old 2011-11-03, 21:48   Link #15
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

I saw you said it turned out well.

Which ones did you end up watching?

Old 2011-11-08, 00:11   Link #16
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Hey i'm married.. and have been for almost 3 years now and my wife really liked the following anime... I'm sorry if they do not fit exactly what you are looking for..

Claymore

Clannad -- and Clannad After Story

Eden of the East (and its movies)

Heroic Age (I'm not sure this fits..)

Glass Fleet (again not sure this fits)

Utawarerumono (I think she watched this one a few times..)

Those are the only anime she has seen so far.. but she enjoyed them...

Old 2011-11-08, 11:19   Link #17
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

Well I am a woman and I love anime we do exist you know.

But I don't like this attitude Fuyuno of not wanting to show your wife shoujo. Hmmph. It should be about a good story with good characters not about the target demographic. However I will stick to my personal favorite Seinen titles just to not make this list too long.

Maison Ikkoku

Mononoke (the TV series that is)

Mushishi

Kino's Journey

Porco Rosso (I think this was aimed at an adult male audience)

Now and Then Here and There (but warning this is a bit dark and might not be the best thing to introduce your wife to anime..unless she likes dark)

And also the recent

Tiger and Bunny
(although this might turn your wife into a Yaoi fangirl lol)

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-11-08 at 11:38.
Old 2011-11-08, 23:25   Link #18
dark_ogamiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno
I don't want her to become a shoujo or yaoi fangirl.
I can understand your feelings =).

The recommendations depend on her tastes.
Maybe she'll be fond of Usagi Drop, Hataraki Man, Honey and Clover or Nodame Cantabile.
Old 2011-11-10, 07:21   Link #19
Ninjatroxx

Bakuretsu Tenshi - action series with all babes, it's a breeze and it's awesome
it even have a robot in it, so u can relax

FLCL - fooly kooly, the funniest anime u will ever watch

neon genesis evangelion - have 3x 300m tall robots

if u see a car, everything is taken care of for the next 20 mins
if u see 3x cars, you will be taken care of
if u have the luxuary of haveing 3x 300 meter tall robots... your life will change after a few eps
Closed Thread

Tags
adult_characters