AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-14, 09:11   Link #901
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
blaze0041 and TinyRedLeaf

Spoiler for Stuff!:
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:22   Link #902
pewpewpew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I haven't seen this brought up yet, but this series is continuing the Guild tradition of naming people after animal genera: Luscinia and Alauda are both named after bird genera. Luscinia includes the nightingales, while Alauda are larks. You might mentally translate their first names as Nightingale and Skylark.
pewpewpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:37   Link #903
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Personally, I'm reminded heavily of the second season of the original Battlestar Galactica, in which the colonial fleet finally reached Earth after a long exodus and decided to covertly explore and protect the planet. Whether or not the Prester immigrants face a potential conflict with Ades remains to be seen.
Tatiana, Alister and Dio seems to think that they will enter in conflict with Ades at some point or the other. Although, when you are stealing other people ships you are looking for trouble. Not sure if this include the "Prester immigrants" or not though.

Also, Tatiana and Alister seemed to believe "peace" was possible too, until they learned that Ades used an Exile as weapon. Tatiana made some strange comments here as well. Her, Dio and Alister know things we don't about what is going on. Also, I find it a bit strange that the entire crew of the Silvius is divided in combat unit, like if they expect to be boarded...
azarhal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:47   Link #904
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Episode 6 was not exactly what I expected (I thought it'd be a bit more on the serious side) but it was enjoyable nevertheless. Good fun all around, with a good amount of plot mixed in.

I'm liking Millia more with every episode. The sheltered and arrogant princess from the first episode seems so far away now. She has a lot of guts and tons of energy. Fam has been a very positive influence on her. She still has a long way to go before she can become a competent ruler though; putting on a maid outfit to negotiate was quite a silly idea, especially when the one she was attempting to negotiate with is a woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Spoiler for Misc. questions and thoughts (original series spoilers):
Logically they should only be in danger if the lands they settled on (and which seemed devoid of peole) were other people's property since Ades' goal is to reclaim the territories that were stolen by Presters. Luskiania is a bit on the extremist side however, and seems to think Presters have no right to even set foot on Earth so there is a good chance they will be in danger at some point.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 10:59   Link #905
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Spoiler for Stuff!:
Spoiler for the third point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I find it a bit strange that the entire crew of the Silvius is divided in combat unit, like if they expect to be boarded...
I don't know why that would be strange. All hands on a naval vessel are trained combatants, even today, in the real world. The "surprise", if it can be called that, is that weapons are readily at hand. In real-world navies, firearms are usually kept under lock and key in an armoury, both for safety reasons as well as command-and-control concerns (you wouldn't want to give potential mutineers easy access to weapons, would you?).

But it would appear that morale and discipline remain top notch on the Silvius as it was on the Sylvana. The same ethos of egalitarianism seems to apply as well, with no tiers to distinguish officers from the ratings. That being the case, mutiny is hardly something Tatiana would lose sleep over.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 13:07   Link #906
TheKage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Spoiler for Guild/Prester:


Lusciana seems to not like anyone from any of the Presters being on Earth, seeing them as people who abandoned Earth and have no right coming back to it. Especially since people have been there for awhile (though I was under the assumption that everyone left Earth?) are being driven off from their lands where newer Prester expatriates are coming in, taking resources that can't sustain everyone.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 13:39   Link #907
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I don't know why that would be strange. All hands on a naval vessel are trained combatants, even today, in the real world. The "surprise", if it can be called that, is that weapons are readily at hand. In real-world navies, firearms are usually kept under lock and key in an armoury, both for safety reasons as well as command-and-control concerns (you wouldn't want to give potential mutineers easy access to weapons, would you?).

But it would appear that morale and discipline remain top notch on the Silvius as it was on the Sylvana. The same ethos of egalitarianism seems to apply as well, with no tiers to distinguish officers from the ratings. That being the case, mutiny is hardly something Tatiana would lose sleep over.
It's strange in the context of "Last Exile" and anime in general. It felt more military-like than the Silvana did. Also, Tatiana take the ship security seriously: two guards posted on the bridge, one guard watching over her quarters, everybody with his own big gun (including the "teenage" grease monkeys).
azarhal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 13:47   Link #908
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
It's strange in the context of "Last Exile" and anime in general. It felt more military-like than the Silvana did. Also, Tatiana take the ship security seriously: two guards posted on the bridge, one guard watching over her quarters, everybody with his own big gun (including the "teenage" grease monkeys).
Spoiler for thoughts from the original series:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 14:38   Link #909
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler for thoughts from the original series:
Spoiler for Big difference in security measures actually.:
azarhal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 15:06   Link #910
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
(╯□)╯︵ ʎɹɐʇılıW sǝp∀

The Ades has total wuss for soldiers. I mean who the hell would fall for a con so obvious?

(╯□)╯︵ ︵ Millia

I wonder if the cosplay was for as Millia said it was for, or she just wanted to try making Fam all buttery down there. And how did that even get there?
It was just the same dude who got conned in the first ep, I don't think we should judge the soldiers based on this guy lol. They even have a different uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Spoiler for Big difference in security measures actually.:
Yeah, the moment they were warned a possible hostile was approaching they were at the ready. Both crews were heavily armed though. I think this is pretty fitting given Tatiana's style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
It's strange in the context of "Last Exile" and anime in general. It felt more military-like than the Silvana did. Also, Tatiana take the ship security seriously: two guards posted on the bridge, one guard watching over her quarters, everybody with his own big gun (including the "teenage" grease monkeys).
I think TinyRedLeaf is right here in that it's not all that strange especially for the Silvius/Silvana line, also given Alex and Tatiana I'm not really surprised at this somewhat subtle change in style. Also, Alex's ship was even more a solo operation than the Silvius likely is since I'd imagine this time Tatiana's operating with the full consent and support of Sophia and given Tatiana's stricter background and her experiences on the Silvana and the likely relationship of her though still solo-operating ship to Anatoray's military I'm not surprised she'd have her crew a bit more military like, I mean it's Tatiana.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-11-14 at 15:32.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 15:11   Link #911
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 15:11   Link #912
TheKage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
So much spoiler tag. Anyway, per current discussion
Spoiler for Silvana security:
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 15:15   Link #913
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

Logically they should only be in danger if the lands they settled on (and which seemed devoid of peole) were other people's property since Ades' goal is to reclaim the territories that were stolen by Presters. Luskiania is a bit on the extremist side however, and seems to think Presters have no right to even set foot on Earth so there is a good chance they will be in danger at some point.
Turan's territory is owned by another tribe not Ades.

There are uncharted territories labels in the shown map i.e. Ades' doesn't own the planet.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 15:18   Link #914
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post


Personally, I'm reminded heavily of the second season of the original Battlestar Galactica, in which the colonial fleet finally reached Earth after a long exodus and decided to covertly explore and protect the planet. Whether or not the Prester immigrants face a potential conflict with Ades remains to be seen.
Last Exile reminds me of the PC game Homeworld i.e. the exiles fights for thier homeworld.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 15:43   Link #915
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Turan's territory is owned by another tribe not Ades.

There are uncharted territories labels in the shown map i.e. Ades' doesn't own the planet.
Unfortunately, the Ades rulers think they own the planet.


I'm wondering if the show started with an upbeat mood so it could end with a dark one.
azarhal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 16:26   Link #916
stormwaltzing
Little Master
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Spoiler for the third point:
There had to be planning, though, for both the Presters and the Guild considering the existence of both are for one reason: leave Earth for a while, let it heal, return. So it makes sense that technology like Claudia existed beforehand, so the Presters were properly equipped to sustain itself. As for the Guild, they could very well be 'groups' set up for each Prester to keep watch over them, but how they were chosen originally (before humanity left Earth) could point to a group much like the Guild we know who oversaw everything similarly (since setting up the whole Prester/Exile thing probably did need an organization to set it all up).


Quote:
(though I was under the assumption that everyone left Earth?)
Someone had to make sure it was the right time to signal the Presters to prepare for their return, and send that signal in the first place. So it's not surprising that a small enough group (one that wouldn't bother Earth like a whole human race and cause the damage it did) stayed behind to keep an eye on things.
__________________
stormwaltzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 16:29   Link #917
pewpewpew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Unfortunately, the Ades rulers think they own the planet.
"One world, one people" indeed.

I wonder if there'll be any further role played by the Gonians, who've been given their land back by the Ades Federation. It wouldn't be surprising if they fought against any efforts to reestablish Turan.
pewpewpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 16:40   Link #918
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Spoiler for animation error?:

It would be along the lines of when they are in flight, she puts on the jacket to keep herself warm, and she takes it off as not to create suspicion when she lands.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 16:42   Link #919
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
When I was reading the timeline on the Last Exile wiki it sounded like a good number of people stayed behind on Earth, all the people who didn't want to go on the Prestars and there probably wasn't enough room for however many billion people were still on Earth by that point. The info on the wiki also seemed to suggest (if not outright say) that there was a guild on each Prestar whose job was to keep the Prestars in working order, which ended up working not so well for the Anatoray/Disith one.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 16:51   Link #920
TheKage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
The timeline of the wiki said that the Guild would receive a signal. I assumed the signal was sent from the nanomachines that were covering the Earth to help speed the process for the Earth to heal itself. The word "evacuate" came to my mind as actually evacuating everyone. With such sophisticated technology I assumed the nanomachines helping the Earth were able to send the signal.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.