AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 04
10: Amazing... 33 37.50%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 23 26.14%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 17 19.32%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 11.36%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 1.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 4 4.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-15, 03:29   Link #41
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
That and Banagher's emo was hard to swallow.

It's like, "Ok kid, you want to save her fine...but your in no fact concerned about the people that will get caught in the crossfire?" I know I'll get flamed for that comment but I just find it hard to take in whenever gundam shows these scenes.
That's the problem I have with a lot of the UC side stories and the recent Gundam shows in general - the protagonists are nearly always more concern about saving that one person they know and ignore the collateral damage. I think it has a lot to do with that recent authors had taken a liking to the pesudo-moral question of "if I can't save one person how can I save many?", preferring to not make any sacrifices in depicting a Jesus-like-save-everyone type protagonist, I find this question down right stupid and these sort saint-like protagonists gets in the way of supposedly "realistic" Gundam stories, since in the end it inevitably turns the protagonist into having God-like power where they can just disable their enemies without killing anyone, and that's just not right.

People used to laugh at Tomino protagonists yelling/crying that they don't want to kill anyone but shoots down enemies like killing flies, that to me is actually way more realistic, I want to see more of those types of protagonists but sadly I haven't seen any recently.
__________________
My twitter - not really seiyuu-centred so follow at your own risk
Celebrities I've talked to in person
Mizuki Nana, Chiba Saeko, Shimizu Ai, Shimokawa Mikuni, Chihara Minori, Tamura Yukari, Nakahara Mai, Sakai Kanako
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 03:58   Link #42
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
That's the problem I have with a lot of the UC side stories and the recent Gundam shows in general - the protagonists are nearly always more concern about saving that one person they know and ignore the collateral damage. I think it has a lot to do with that recent authors had taken a liking to the pesudo-moral question of "if I can't save one person how can I save many?", preferring to not make any sacrifices in depicting a Jesus-like-save-everyone type protagonist, I find this question down right stupid and these sort saint-like protagonists gets in the way of supposedly "realistic" Gundam stories, since in the end it inevitably turns the protagonist into having God-like power where they can just disable their enemies without killing anyone, and that's just not right.

People used to laugh at Tomino protagonists yelling/crying that they don't want to kill anyone but shoots down enemies like killing flies, that to me is actually way more realistic, I want to see more of those types of protagonists but sadly I haven't seen any recently.

I agree. The writers want to have their cake and eat it too. They don't want their characters to have to make hard choices and sacrifices.

The war is already underway. "How do we go from here." Instead, "This shouldn't have happened, I don't want people to kill each other."

the question the characters should be asking themselves is: "How do we bring this war to quick and just end?"

I also don't see what Char's game plan is. Sending his Earth Neo-Zeon remnants on a Kamikaze mission.

I kinda hate how these series never having man-power, supply or logistical problems. You just know there's just going to be more Federation and Neo-Zeon armies next episode as if nothing happened.

Man, the UC timeline has just become too convoluted. I would probably like to see a remake of the One Year War at this point. A reboot of the timeline, if you will.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 04:06   Link #43
rakusukira
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
That's the problem I have with a lot of the UC side stories and the recent Gundam shows in general - the protagonists are nearly always more concern about saving that one person they know and ignore the collateral damage. I think it has a lot to do with that recent authors had taken a liking to the pesudo-moral question of "if I can't save one person how can I save many?", preferring to not make any sacrifices in depicting a Jesus-like-save-everyone type protagonist, I find this question down right stupid and these sort saint-like protagonists gets in the way of supposedly "realistic" Gundam stories, since in the end it inevitably turns the protagonist into having God-like power where they can just disable their enemies without killing anyone, and that's just not right.

People used to laugh at Tomino protagonists yelling/crying that they don't want to kill anyone but shoots down enemies like killing flies, that to me is actually way more realistic, I want to see more of those types of protagonists but sadly I haven't seen any recently.
Banagher was already traumatized by killing Gilboa so I understand his hesitation in killing Loni. He's just a teenager who isn't even a professional soldier, he can't just pull the trigger like that. He can't even justify his being involved in this whole Laplace incident. If i'm not mistaken, 70% of his determination to pilot the Unicorn in episode 1 was to save a girl he just met (and fallen for). Like what he said to Daguza in ep.3 , he doesn't know who his true enemies and allies are so he shouldn't be tasked to use a weapon as powerful and destructive as the Unicorn.

If you ask someone who has NEVER killed anyone to shoot someone they wouldn't shoot even if they are somewhat "bad" .

Spoiler for HP:


don't worry, Banagher just lost confidence in himself.. once he is reunited with Audrey he'll be back to being that hot-blooded, impulsive pilot.
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 04:38   Link #44
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
i just feel that this episode is kinda rushed with a lot of timeline skipped

Audrey in the bar scene is nice portray of escaping the mansion & talk to the owner about politics. I like the scene when she left with the officials surrounding the bar

Banagher is too emo in this episode

mecha scene fight is nice & so the scene of Banshee
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 05:24   Link #45
rakusukira
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
i just feel that this episode is kinda rushed with a lot of timeline skipped

Audrey in the bar scene is nice portray of escaping the mansion & talk to the owner about politics. I like the scene when she left with the officials surrounding the bar

Banagher is too emo in this episode

mecha scene fight is nice & so the scene of Banshee
the expression on the man's face when he knew she was Mineva Zabi is priceless..
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 05:28   Link #46
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
I still don't get what Neo-Zeon is trying to accomplish? Are they trying to defeat the Federation government militarily? Why don't they just Secede and be done with it?
They want to attain legitimate independence, one respected by the Federation and acknowledging the freedom and suffrage of Spacenoids. Seceding doesn't rule out the possibility that the Federation would attack them, which was precisely what happened when they declared independence unilaterally under Zeon Deikun.

They are vying for the Laplace Box, which is rumoured to be able to destroy the Federation and hence, liberate the Spacenoids. So in this episode the formal Neo Zeon group under Full Frontal just sit back and let their comrades, remnants of Zeon forces left in previous conflicts, attack the Federation while they wait for the Unicorn to unlock the next seal and probably bring them a step closer to acquiring the box.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 05:47   Link #47
rakusukira
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
They want to attain legitimate independence, one respected by the Federation and acknowledging the freedom and suffrage of Spacenoids. Seceding doesn't rule out the possibility that the Federation would attack them, which was precisely what happened when they declared independence unilaterally under Zeon Deikun.

They are vying for the Laplace Box, which is rumoured to be able to destroy the Federation and hence, liberate the Spacenoids. So in this episode the formal Neo Zeon group under Full Frontal just sit back and let their comrades, remnants of Zeon forces left in previous conflicts, attack the Federation while they wait for the Unicorn to unlock the next seal and probably bring them a step closer to acquiring the box.
in short, Full Frontal is a treacherous leader. they let Laplace box be the banner of reason for those Zeon remnants to fight and.. obviously , Frontal expected them to die in that battle .
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 06:28   Link #48
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
after seeing both the sub and the dub, i have to admit that Loni's english dubber really performed well, even better than the japanese counterpart at some parts

edit: torrent is out
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 08:11   Link #49
rakusukira
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
after seeing both the sub and the dub, i have to admit that Loni's english dubber really performed well, even better than the japanese counterpart at some parts

edit: torrent is out
i totally loved the ..

Spoiler for O.O:
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 08:17   Link #50
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
i totally loved the ..

Spoiler for O.O:
Spoiler for Dub:
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 08:32   Link #51
Golos
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Eurasia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk;3857968I
also don't see what Char's game plan is. Sending his Earth Neo-Zeon remnants on a Kamikaze mission.
Death to those whose soul is held down by gravity, of course.
Char has not changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
They want to attain legitimate independence, one respected by the Federation and acknowledging the freedom and suffrage of Spacenoids. Seceding doesn't rule out the possibility that the Federation would attack them, which was precisely what happened when they declared independence unilaterally under Zeon Deikun.
No, that is not what happened. Zeon was always the aggressor against the relatively passive EF.
Golos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 08:44   Link #52
casval cehack
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Totally worth the wait. It finally cleared who are the Zeon Remnants in relation to the Sleeves. Had to watch it twice; first for catching up to war started by the Laplace box, second for the U.C. mobile suits grand reunion.

Whois the pilot of the Byalant Custom? He or she just earned the Unicorn.
__________________
casval cehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 08:55   Link #53
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Totally worth the wait. It finally cleared who are the Zeon Remnants in relation to the Sleeves. Had to watch it twice; first for catching up to war started by the Laplace box, second for the U.C. mobile suits grand reunion.

Whois the pilot of the Byalant Custom? He or she just earned the Unicorn.
the pilot is Unknown.

People want it to be Kou Uraki though, since he was stationed at the torrington base.

No official name has been given though
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 09:11   Link #54
bio9205
Reborn
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 20
Just saw the episode. Enjoyable overall, though I felt the Dakar arc was too short.

Over Banagher's emoing throughout most of the episode - while it did get kind of annoying, I guess a kid suddenly embroiled in this mess would behave like that. Oh well. Poor Loni, but I'm glad she died because Banagher sparing her (okay, technically he did, but still) would have been really lame.

Love the battle scenes between the age-old UC suits. Really well done, kudos to the animators here. The Byalant Custom kicked ass! Here's hoping it gets a HGUC kit.

On a whole, I liked it better than the first 3, probably because of the Earth setting and the awesome battles. (And the fact I actually anticipated this episode, I was too busy with other stuff for the other 3 episodes.) Except for the Dakar arc, it didn't really feel very rushed to me, maybe because I haven't read the novels.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 11:40   Link #55
Kikuchi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paris
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Zeon is as bad as the EF. Zeon took a more extreme case of action while the federation kept being passive aggressive through out the UC timeline.

NOVEL SPOILERS
We're not supposed to know what is in your spoiler and I burned my eyes reading only half of it before looking away.

I'm pretty sure novel spoilers are forbidden outside of the novel thread, please edit.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 12:11   Link #56
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
We're not supposed to know what is in your spoiler and I burned my eyes reading only half of it before looking away.

I'm pretty sure novel spoilers are forbidden outside of the novel thread, please edit.
You click the spoiler tag at your own risk, i edited the tag to make a more clear point about it being a major spoiler.

Why did you read the spoiler to begin with if you didnt want to know what was in it? it defeats the entire point of the spoilertag "read at your own risk".

The part about the EF being passive aggressive while zeon took a more extreme approach isn't really a spoiler, it's said throughout all of UC what the EF has been doing to the colonies, both in episode 1, 2 & 3 of unicorn and previous UC related works like MSG, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, 0083 and 0080, don't blame me for your own curiousity.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 12:13   Link #57
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
double posted somehow, lol
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 12:15   Link #58
Golos
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Eurasia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Zeon is as bad as the EF. Zeon took a more extreme case of action while the federation kept being passive aggressive through out the UC timeline.
No, Zeon is much worse.
It is a force of destruction, while the Earth Federation was a force of creation which is responsible for constructing the Sides, the home of most of humanity in the UC.
Golos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 12:19   Link #59
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golos View Post
No, Zeon is much worse.
It is a force of destruction, while the Earth Federation was a force of creation which is responsible for constructing the Sides, the home of most of humanity in the UC.
oh, i'm not saying Zeon is good in any way.

what i'm trying to say is that the EF provoked the colonies to retaliate with the way they handled politics, etc (see CCA) from Earth.

Spoiler for Gundam ZZ spoiler:


Just because you create something doesn't give you the right to abuse it and treat it like garbage.

see SGA: Replicators and Alterans/Ancients

who are to be blamed, the provokers or the provoked?
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 13:16   Link #60
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
I highly enjoyed this episode. Great to see yet again the drama we all know and love (some people hate ) that's quite popular from this side of the franchise. I was totally wrapped up in the situation, and what the outcome would be. Must say, i certainly didn't expect that cliffhanger!
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.