AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-24, 11:42   Link #3461
Hollowgolem
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas, USA
I'm glad I came to this thread on the day of Thanksgiving in America.

Just like in real life, I get to witness a dysfunctional but beloved family goofing around.

Also, I hope all that Brera/Ranka stuff is just supposed to be about the acquisition of the sibling relationship of which they were both robbed. Otherwise, squick.
Hollowgolem is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 12:10   Link #3462
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
All I did was shatter LMK's fervent illusions that not a lot of fans support any incestuous subtext between Ranka and Brera, and that it's only looked at with platonic family love.

Is that so wrong?

(No, not to me.)
Even that seems to be a pretty unsafe conclusion. Surely, there are some people out there who are Ranka/Brera fans. But none of us know if it's a lot or a few.

Stating unsupportable assumptions is not the way to go here...fighting fire with fire doesn't work.
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 12:51   Link #3463
darkplataform
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 26
Outside the fans realm, I fail to see the loop-side against Ranka.

Also,

http://p-bandai.jp/fashion-net/chara...em-1000014063/
__________________
.
darkplataform is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 13:34   Link #3464
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Wow. What are those other things, besides the earring?
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 14:23   Link #3465
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
An interesting revelation from one of Yoshino's interviews (I can't quite remember which one - might be the one in the Complete Book, or perhaps the one in the fanbook, as those are the two I've skimmed recently...), however, reveals that Kawamori might be the one that everyone has to rein in. IIRC (don't quote me on this yet!), the advice/encouragement that Ohnogi apparently gave to Yoshino upon the latter's induction into Macross at the planning stage of Frontier was something like 'good luck reining Kawamori in'!
So that's where the Ohnogi connection came from!

If we take Kawamori's word, then the second movie is closer to his original scenario? So yeah, Yoshino did reign in a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
Outside the fans realm, I fail to see the loop-side against Ranka.

Also,

http://p-bandai.jp/fashion-net/chara...em-1000014063/
Pretty! And probably expensive.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 16:14   Link #3466
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
Outside the fans realm, I fail to see the loop-side against Ranka.
What exactly is a "loop-side"?
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 18:20   Link #3467
darkplataform
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 26
@magnusk: i really should double-check online translators, uh?

It was nothing special, just about LMK theory that creators had a bias against Ranka in the movies, something that most of us dont agree.
darkplataform is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 18:26   Link #3468
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
@magnusk: i really should double-check online translators, uh?

It was nothing special, just about LMK theory that creators had a bias against Ranka in the movies, something that most of us dont agree.
Well, if you say "bias" in the term of "will lose in the romance", they had a bias against her. If you say "bias" meaning "got a super-improvement over her series self, to the point that she was completely without any sorts of personality flaws", that's also true.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 18:59   Link #3469
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
I'm glad I came to this thread on the day of Thanksgiving in America.

Just like in real life, I get to witness a dysfunctional but beloved family goofing around.
BTW, that really warmed my heart. Thanks! I, too, am quite happy with our forum community and the people who make it up.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 19:49   Link #3470
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
@magnusk: i really should double-check online translators, uh?

It was nothing special, just about LMK theory that creators had a bias against Ranka in the movies, something that most of us dont agree.
I for one, never understood how come someone earnestly believed Ranka was going to officially 'win' the triangle since the beginning. I took a look a characters design and knew the pink haired one was going to get "chosen". This isn't the same as liking Ranka/Alto (I admit I've enjoyed the pairing potential a lot in movieverse), I can understand how someone would ship the pairing (or any pairing for that matter).
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-11-24, 23:55   Link #3471
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
All I did was shatter LMK's fervent illusions that not a lot of fans support any incestuous subtext between Ranka and Brera, and that it's only looked at with platonic family love.
Shatter? Hardly.

I see more fanarts for Brera/Sheryl than Brera/Ranka that are otherwise romantic or even go to so far as sexual. Most people just like Brera and Ranka together because siblings are usually very happy (unless they have a bad relationship with each other).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivitoru View Post
But when doujin circles aren't drawing Alto/Ranka either because the couple isn't that appealing to them or they don't think it'll sell enough, and yet they take the time to draw a Brera/Ranka anthology (or yet another Brera/Ranka doujin), I think there is some truth in that statement.
Actually, it's more about the money. And unless you have proof, I don't think Alto/Ranka fans drew that Brera/Ranka anthology. That's something that is unproven. I've kept up with all the Alto/Ranka circles or artists and haven't seen any of them show interest in the anthology (nor participate in it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplataform View Post
It was nothing special, just about LMK theory that creators had a bias against Ranka in the movies, something that most of us dont agree.
It is true. It is like saying she's the main character but playings a supporting role instead. That is what Ranka is in the movies. She has little scenes where she actually is a character (gives background history or shows growth) and barely is allowed to play the heroine. Meanwhile, Sheryl steals the spotlight and becomes the "messiah." That being said, both girls are supposed to be the main characters (along with Alto) but one overshadowing the other was obvious from the get-go which is why I'm disgusted with the movies. Even Alto was overshadowed by Sheryl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, if you say "bias" in the term of "will lose in the romance", they had a bias against her. If you say "bias" meaning "got a super-improvement over her series self, to the point that she was completely without any sorts of personality flaws", that's also true.
You fail to even prove a point when I'm not only talking about romance but character in general.

She's a strong character in the movies but you don't get to see that growth much due to her small screen time. They should've given her more scenes to show that growth they gave her. Sure, they gave her some scenes, but as usual in the movies, Sheryl was shown the most and dominated the screen, story, and plot, even the ending (not to mention the Nyan Nyan Final Attack and Sayonara no Tsubasa had more vocals by May'n than Nakajima as proof).

Really now... no proof? I think not.

It was obvious point blank from the beginning 30mins of the 1st movie that Sheryl was going to be the point of interest. Hell, she even arrives at a scene that was just Alto and Ranka (GRIFFITH PARK).

The roles went like such:
Alto = main character
Sheryl = main character
Ranka = main character but plays supporting role

Honestly, it was obvious, even to those who weren't interested in the romance section. Just look at how many reviews there are for both movies. They stated it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I for one, never understood how come someone earnestly believed Ranka was going to officially 'win' the triangle since the beginning. I took a look a characters design and knew the pink haired one was going to get "chosen". This isn't the same as liking Ranka/Alto (I admit I've enjoyed the pairing potential a lot in movieverse), I can understand how someone would ship the pairing (or any pairing for that matter).
First, all you did was look at a character and decide they were going to win?

Now I understand why you ship the two girls over any with Alto. It's not about their personality, it's about sexuality.

I looked at Ranka's design, then I watched her, I watched the first episode before deciding who I'd support to the end. After her first impression with Alto, I was hooked on her because her personality was open and embracing, something I like in characters. So I picked her.

It's not about "design" but rather "personality" that I looked at.

And whether or not Ranka was going to "win," I didn't really follow that "watch weekly" thing if you recall. I watched all the episodes in one lump. And I still saw Alto and Ranka as a viable pairing in the end. From the way they communicated in the scenes they did get and to the way Alto was happy and content with her over others, really showed how close net they were. I honestly enjoyed all the good and bad times and cared less that she was always the damsel in distress because at least she was a better one than past characters (she didn't get killed or injured). I also enjoyed the cute moments and implied romantic moments, especially the date in the movie. But also, most of all, I enjoyed her personality over any character in the show. She has a way to show up on screen (especially in the early episodes) and screw up to make you laugh. Sometimes, I think she even does it on purpose. There are endearing things about her personality that people often fail to see, but most of all, her smile has a tendency to make you forget why you were mad at all in the first place.

And that's why I picked her as the love triangle winner.

Why'd you pick Sheryl? Because you thought she looked good from the designs? Because you overlooked she had a harsh attitude and was as closed off as a girl's locked diary? Because you thought she was hot?

That's the most shallow way to pick a character.

I usually watch at least three episodes before picking a character and I watch their personalities. You state you did not do this. Therefore, a shallow decision was made.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 00:35   Link #3472
teelatsuki
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post

First, all you did was look at a character and decide they were going to win?
It's just how anime rolls, you pretty much can tell this things at first glance, if they both looked the same age or "legal" if you prefer, it would have been harder.

Quote:
Now I understand why you ship the two girls over any with Alto. It's not about their personality, it's about sexuality.


I looked at Ranka's design, then I watched her, I watched the first episode before deciding who I'd support to the end. After her first impression with Alto, I was hooked on her because her personality was open and embracing, something I like in characters. So I picked her.
Since the damn first episode? really? you decided, since episode one, who to support to the bloody end? I will not talk about your personal tastes because Ranka does gives a really good first impression but...

Quote:
It's not about "design" but rather "personality" that I looked at.

And whether or not Ranka was going to "win," I didn't really follow that "watch weekly" thing if you recall. I watched all the episodes in one lump. And I still saw Alto and Ranka as a viable pairing in the end. From the way they communicated in the scenes they did get and to the way Alto was happy and content with her over others, really showed how close net they were. I honestly enjoyed all the good and bad times and cared less that she was always the damsel in distress because at least she was a better one than past characters (she didn't get killed or injured). I also enjoyed the cute moments and implied romantic moments, especially the date in the movie. But also, most of all, I enjoyed her personality over any character in the show. She has a way to show up on screen (especially in the early episodes) and screw up to make you laugh. Sometimes, I think she even does it on purpose. There are endearing things about her personality that people often fail to see, but most of all, her smile has a tendency to make you forget why you were mad at all in the first place.
Now she didn't get hurt but other people DID, and because they were protecting her, some even DIED, also series Ranka never tryed to help herself when in danger no matter how pointless or sucessful her attemps could be, she only screamed for help (movieRanka actually tries to rescue herself or help); Whenever Ranka screwed up i felt embarassed, it really was dumb.

Quote:
And that's why I picked her as the love triangle winner.
And then proceded to ignore that your view was fanon.

Quote:
Why'd you pick Sheryl? Because you thought she looked good from the designs? Because you overlooked she had a harsh attitude and was as closed off as a girl's locked diary? Because you thought she was hot?

That's the most shallow way to pick a character.
Now I picked Sheryl because she didn't want to be a damsel in distress, she wanted to keep herself strong and her motto was to do whatever was in her hands to help; I found that pretty damn impresive because that doesn't happen a lot in anime, most girls that say that tend to be a damsel in distress to the very end but sheryl actually lived to that words ,I liked Sheryl since episode 7 but after Galia 4, She became my absolute favorite character.

I don't think my reasons are shallow.

Also you probably want to check what character development is.

Quote:
I usually watch at least three episodes before picking a character and I watch their personalities. You state you did not do this. Therefore, a shallow decision was made.
But just 7 paragraphs above you said that you picked since the first episode, I did wait a lot and I watched it weekly.
teelatsuki is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:07   Link #3473
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
It's just how anime rolls, you pretty much can tell this things at first glance, if they both looked the same age or "legal" if you prefer, it would have been harder.
First, wasn't talking to you, see that the quotes were for Thess, not you; so honestly, I could care less.

Spoiler for *sigh*:
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:14   Link #3474
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Wow, self-esteem issues..?

This coming from a teenager throwing a tantrum just because the FICTIONAL underdog character she supported didn't win the guy in the end.

My mind is blown.

And LMK, as Tak stated time and again. THIS is a PUBLIC FORUM. Anyone can reply or call out on your tantrum posts.
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:16   Link #3475
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Wow, self-esteem issues..?

This coming from a teenager throwing a tantrum just because the FICTIONAL underdog character she supported didn't win the guy in the end.

My mind is blown.
Just proves I have no problems stating I'm human, unlike Sheryl fans. I can easily state "yes, I have problems, I have issues." But I'm not gonna stand here and say "I'm perfect and that's how you should always remember me" like Sheryl.

I am a Ranka fan and proud to say "I'm human, deal with it. I make mistakes and learn from them. It doesn't all happen overnight or in a year, but gradually. So don't judge what you see today because tomorrow might be when I shine."
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:22   Link #3476
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
LMK.

We all know you HATE Sheryl and you're still sore and can't let go or accept the fact that your princess didn't win the triangle.

But if you're going to continue this nonsense, put it in a relevant character thread or something.

---

So guys, what did you think of Leon's balls in this movie?
__________________
raile is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:25   Link #3477
Darthtabby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I'm pretty sure what Thess was saying is that he could tell Sheryl was going to win the love triangle based on her character design...

Also LMK quite frankly I think you're letting your rage dominate and distort your view of events. I've seen it happen before in anime fandom and I do not think it makes for good analysis.
Darthtabby is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:27   Link #3478
Yunbo
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
It was obvious point blank from the beginning 30mins of the 1st movie that Sheryl was going to be the point of interest. Hell, she even arrives at a scene that was just Alto and Ranka (GRIFFITH PARK).

The roles went like such:
Alto = main character
Sheryl = main character
Ranka = main character but plays supporting role
But aren't like 99% of the anime love triangles always like this? You always can tell which 2 are the main characters and which isn't.


I always thought that Ranka had the upper hand in the triangle in the first movie. :/
Yunbo is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:29   Link #3479
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
So guys, what did you think of Leon's balls in this movie?
They dropped... literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm pretty sure what Thess was saying is that he could tell Sheryl was going to win the love triangle based on her character design...
What I do know, is that when I saw her wardrobe... it was obvious to me a lot of care and attention had been paid to the character. The rest... well, its history.

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:41   Link #3480
raile
<3
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lala rainbow land~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
They dropped... literally.


- Tak
I'm not surprised with the way he was always holding and rubbing them.
__________________
raile is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, military, movie, romance, science fiction, song

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.