AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-24, 03:03   Link #21
Morisato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Which edit did you mean thar? The first or second?
The second with most of her eyes covered.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 05:27   Link #22
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Avoid it? I'm sorry my friend but with a character who has REALLY long bangs, it's just not possible!

See, I took our little friend Merry here from the screencaps Morisato posted and edited her hair.
Spoiler for image:

Now this looks fine. The hair is covering her eyes in a realistic fashion and it doesn't really take away anything from her face.

BUT if I do the same thing in a shot where her hair is covering most of her face?
Spoiler for image:

This doesn't work so well. As you can see (or not see) her pout face is no longer visible. We can't really tell what she's feeling here.

So.......what option is left over to fix this problem?
Spoiler for image:

This. What I did is use the eyedropper tool to get the color of her hair, paint over the black parts of her eyes and lower the opacity of the layer.
The hair now looks like it's in front of her face but you can still see her face. This looks better than either option, yes?

(yes, I know the editing in the second one is somewhat obvious but F*CK LIGHT GRADIENTS!! ) That's not the point anyway.
While I do appreciate the effort you spent on editing the images and while the difference is noticeable, I actually don't mind it in Merry's case since it's not completely off-putting and realistically justifiable. Infact I'd much prefer it if animators would opt for this method instead.

What i don't like however is when the eye just magically overlaps stuff. It doesn't make any proper sense and is rather jarring to look at to say the least.

At least now I know why they do it so I can let it slide somewhat (although i still think there's a little bit of laziness/poor QC to thank as well ).

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 06:54   Link #23
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
The hair/eye thing doesn't bug me that much. However if a character is wearing glasses where parts of the frame disappear so you can see the eyes, that bugs me a bit. I've seen a few examples but the most obvious one I can think of is Tsuruko from Ano Hana:

Spoiler for Picture:
I think that's fairly excusable since
1) I doubt its because of prduction budget
2) Makes Tsuruko a bit more expressive
3) It doesn't look that much out of place.
Old 2011-11-24, 17:15   Link #24
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
While I do appreciate the effort you spent on editing the images and while the difference is noticeable I actually don't mind it in Merry's case since it's not completely off-putting and realistically justifiable.
I have no life

Actually I was curious to see how it'd look edited, myself. XD
Old 2011-11-26, 10:17   Link #25
brocko

Er... so I've run into another case, where there's just all sorts of anime trickery going on here lol
You'll have to click on the thumbnail for the larger image to clearly see it though, but when you do you'll notice that the hair and eye interactions are incredibly inconsistent.

- Eyelash completely overlaps hair
- Hair overlaps the sclera (white part of the eye) and the Iris as per normal
- Yet the hair still loses priority against the outline for the Iris... okay...

I think this would probably be an ideal case resulting from poor QC. What probably happend was during the colouring stages, they did the eyes first, followed by the hair second, and finally the outlines in the final top layer. However because they didn't have enough time or whatever, they couldn't manage to go back and fix the inconsistencies created resulting in what we see above (hair weaves its way under the eyelashes, over the eye whites, under the outlines of the Iris and back over the Iris as per normal again )

Bonus points if people manage to guess where the image is from

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-11-26 at 10:30.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 13:14   Link #26
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Er... so I've run into another case, where there's just all sorts of anime trickery going on here lol
You'll have to click on the thumbnail for the larger image to clearly see it though, but when you do you'll notice that the hair and eye interactions are incredibly inconsistent.

- Eyelash completely overlaps hair
- Hair overlaps the sclera (white part of the eye) and the Iris as per normal
- Yet the hair still loses priority against the outline for the Iris... okay...

I think this would probably be an ideal case resulting from poor QC. What probably happend was during the colouring stages, they did the eyes first, followed by the hair second, and finally the outlines in the final top layer. However because they didn't have enough time or whatever, they couldn't manage to go back and fix the inconsistencies created resulting in what we see above (hair weaves its way under the eyelashes, over the eye whites, under the outlines of the Iris and back over the Iris as per normal again )

Bonus points if people manage to guess where the image is from
*facepalm*

PUT THE HAIR ON TOP OF THE EYES AND MAKE IT SEMI-TRANSPARENT!!

..........silly animators.....
Old 2011-11-26, 23:37   Link #27
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Spoiler for tidiness:

Yeah... that's just outright laziness there. There's no other explanation.