AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Guilty Crown

Old 2011-12-01, 21:11   Link #2841
Guido

Courtship Behavior

I'm going first with the details about the mission, and then after the Shu drama with Inori.

For starters, I thought of a wide array of reasons for Gai finding and knowing in specific the whereabouts of each GHQ facilities, or at least the secret ones.
But, I realized the real reason over my presumed choices is due to Tsugumi; that girl being an ace hacker and philantropist for computers, wearing that space jumpsuit.

Anyways, my point is that it has started to make noise on me that everytime Gai briefs about the mission or steps in the front lines when the time is ripe to start the execution of said mission it feels to me that Gai possess an almost omniscient knowledge.
I'm not talking about finding and attacking the GHQ facilities' locations, because he has Tsugumi and his other comrade in arms to do reconaissance and spying for the facilities.

I'm addressing the fact that he looks to have an encyclopedic knowledge about each particular void for each person, or at least those Void types that'll serve a purpose to make the mission either run smoothly or needed in order to complete them, and the fact he knew the identity of the perpetrator that got before him.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 21:19   Link #2842
Johnny
Working the bags...

Wasn't bad, but wasn't great. Not sure when they'll give Inori a personality. It's like watching the early episodes of Chi from Chobits...

Had to laugh at the one part when Gai said you use something the other person is interested in to bring him in. Duh Shu, it worked on you didn't it...?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 21:50   Link #2843
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Argh, another bad ep. I was face-palming at two-thirds of the episode where it was your usual anime beach shenanigans involving swimsuits, maid outfits, censored nudity and other fanservice. When will anime ever get human anatomy right? It's either flat or over-sized. in this case, Hare's boobs were oversized.

Another thing that annoyed me was the whole Shu, Souta and Inori relationship debacle. I. Just. Didn't. Care. Shu getting angry at Souta for liking Inori was particularly face-palm worthy to. Hey mister, you just sit there being oblivious and only act when you think she's about to taken away. Good job bro considering you don't own her.

The last third was a bit better, but as I have been saying in past eps, the plot is tolerable but nothing special. I wouldn't at all surprised if Shu's dad faked his death or something or if he's like the lead scientist (and thus a villian) of the geronome project. Of if Keido is Shu's dad's alternate name or is somehow other related.

As the majority of the ep was awfully painful to watch, I cannot give it more than a 4/10, which is slightly better than last week's completely over-the-top display. I'm losing interest in this series fast... and that interview with Yamamoto, Ohyama and Wado did not help one bit.
Old 2011-12-01, 21:52   Link #2844
blakstealth
µ's Gang or Die

I kinda forgot to mention how I kinda felt bad for Daryl. No one attended his(?) birthday. I guess his dad decided to do work on the lady with the nice ass in the elevator.
Old 2011-12-01, 22:08   Link #2845
miketyson

I actually wonder if running the Daryl scene right before or right after (I forget) the weird scene with that blond girl is supposed to hint that they're actually related somehow. So Daryl's dad is like "you're not my son" and Daryl becomes a good guy.

I'm actually loving the comic possibilities this show's premise has. Maybe they can recoup their costs a bit with some comedy OVAs?

Take refrigerator-kun: what'd happen if Shu pulled his void and opened it up? Would there be food to eat inside? What kind of food? How would it change as Shu and refrigerator-kun became best buds? There's a gold mine right there, and it's just one void.

Throw in Inori's sword/gun void(s) and you've got a whole new set of jokes you can make.

Why so serious, GC? You could've been the comedy-action series of the decade with this premise.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 22:21   Link #2846
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Argh, another bad ep. I was face-palming at two-thirds of the episode where it was your usual anime beach shenanigans involving swimsuits, maid outfits, censored nudity and other fanservice. When will anime ever get human anatomy right? It's either flat or over-sized. in this case, Hare's boobs were oversized.

As the majority of the ep was awfully painful to watch, I cannot give it more than a 4/10, which is slightly better than last week's completely over-the-top display. I'm losing interest in this series fast... and that interview with Yamamoto, Ohyama and Wado did not help one bit.
I find it funny that the part where you start hating the series is the part where most people are starting to think it's watchable (not great, but nothing to complain about either). Although to be fair, the main reason I'm starting to like the series more is because Shu FREAKING SMILES OR GETS MAD instead of that sad face he does constantly throughout the first few episodes.

By the way, I notice that Gai had some kind of database on the voids inside people. How he got that...I have no idea. Oh well.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 22:44   Link #2847
Allium
Binding flower wreaths

The show's lack of clarity on certain points is starting to ruin my enjoyment of the series. I hope some development arises soon, 'cause the whole thing is beginning to get stagnant (the current Funeral Parlor missions, and the females are just around for fanservice, aren't they? ). The first few episodes caught my eye but by now I realize that I'm just watching it for hope that the show will redeem itself, in a way or another.
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 22:45   Link #2848
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I find it funny that the part where you start hating the series is the part where most people are starting to think it's watchable (not great, but nothing to complain about either).
I very much dislike what I call "anime comedy". It's everywhere in modern anime and I'm frankly sick of it, in particular outside of the slice of life/comedy genre. Too many action, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy, pretty much anything non slice of life related have these moe, comedy or tasteless fanservice elements which I could really go without. I recall earlier GC eps (except episode 3, which had substantial amounts of it, and I disliked that ep too btw) being relatively sparing with these "unnecessary fanservice" elements. Plot wise, quality has been pretty consistent - i.e. nothing special at all but it isn't far-fetched or completely bonkers like say Horizon is.

So GC is becoming more lighthearted and comedy/fanservice centric and people (including Japanese otaku) are starting to like it more. Cool beans. If it continues to like that, then I guess I should drop it myself, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say it will pick up by the end of the 1st cour. A lot of shows tend to end the half-way with a bang so I'll wait for that. If that dissappoints, well there is nothing in this show for me since I am completely uninterested in this juvenile form of comedy and fanservice that I see in pretty much 90% of other anime. There's also series that do comedy/fanservice better like Boku wa Tomodachi.

I am hoping GC gets back to what its initial eps were, and call it rare but I was actually one of the few people that legitimately enjoyed it back then.
Old 2011-12-01, 22:48   Link #2849
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Just ...wow. Before many are angry how GC is. Now those same people think it's getting better. In contrast, those who liked GC before now thinks it's getting boring.

Although this episode is fine, I still want a permanent angsty broken shounen who is also a "woobie destroyer of worlds".

Meh, at least more character & plot development. And Shu finally learns to get angry. But for me, it's not enough.

7/10 and that's being gracious.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 23:00   Link #2850
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Guilty Crown Episode 8 had better character drama in it than what I had expected. Perhaps it's because the series had lowered my expectations considerably in that particular area (as well as a couple others), but I was still kind of impressed that there was actually pretty good character drama moments in this. Alas, they were good character drama moments for everybody but Inori, who is probably the character who needs a personality transfusion the most.

Inori is hot, and she's inoffensive, but she's inoffensive for the wrong reason: Hard to find offense with an almost entirely blank slate. I can't help but wonder if she's a bit of a satirical commentary on the superficiality of what some Japanese otakus go for. Imagine Hatsune Miku as a nearly emotionless android... she wouldn't be that far off from Inori I think.

So I find it both funny, and a bit sad, that Shu and Souta are competing over the famous Egoist singer, when in my mind Hare is a much more well-rounded girl, particularly as a potential love interest.

I kind of have to wonder if this is Guilty Crown's way of saying to its own male viewers, "Stop obsessing over the 2D idols of the otaku world, and find real girls to have meaningful relationships with; real girls like the character Hare!" You could call it the anti-Keima campaign.

Hare is pretty normal, but for the right reasons: She's not excessively weird, she's reasonably assertive and responsive, she's friendly but willing to be critical if it's called for (back in Episode 1), she's pretty attractive, she's just an altogether solid friend and decent love interest for a Japanese guy her age. Well-balanced and well-rounded (and unlike Demi Soda, I don't find her chest area too well-rounded, but rather just about the perfect size ).

Man, if Hare was the female lead in this show, I can't help but think it would be a fair bit better, at least on the character drama side of things. I can get the appeal of the colorful idol singer heavily shrouded in mystery who happens to be a major part of a terrorist organization... for two or three episodes. But to go this long with her having so little personality makes it increasingly hard for me to care about her.

All of the above being said, I'm starting to see some specific character development for Shu, tied into his "friendship" with Souta, and that's great to see. I think this episode is strongly hinting that Shu needs to get a spine, not just on the battlefield, but also in his relationships with other people. Shu needs to be more honest about his feelings, and less pretentious about a lot of things. Maybe that's another message this anime is trying to impart on Japanese otaku: Be honest and expressive about your feelings, and don't hide the real you or be ashamed of who you are.

I do get a sense that the show might in fact be leaning towards the idea of Shu being too self-conscious, too self-loathing, too worried about all of that. And certainly too passive-aggressive. So it's good to see him start to work out these downsides to his characters, and hopefully the narrative will continue to push him in that direction.

So, all-told, I liked Episode 8. As a slower-paced episode, it was very well-executed, and did a nice job of showcasing some of the less utilized cast members. The fanservice in this show continues to be something that I largely like, because it continues to be largely seamless to me (the cute and well-endowed Hare trying to win over Shu while dragging him off by the arm to go swimming with her probably should look hot, for legit plot reasons).

I'll give this episode 8/10. I'm admittedly being a bit generous here, but that's because Hare's character has won me over (which should be abundantly clear by now for anybody who's read this far, lol ).
Old 2011-12-01, 23:03   Link #2851
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
I am hoping GC gets back to what its initial eps were, and call it rare but I was actually one of the few people that legitimately enjoyed it back then.
I would have liked those episodes more if Shu stopped looking sad and the tone wasn't all over the place. Or just the first one.

And if Inori is supposed to be a warning to what happens when you fall for emotionless girls, that would be awesome, although I don't think the boring and nonsensical relationship has been worth it so far. You need interesting buildup for it to work successfully, and the two haven't really interacted all that much.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 23:06   Link #2852
rakusukira

i think this episode was sorta light hearted.. but it was a great ep for character development.. and for those complaining about Inori not having a personality........... She is distant and unattached. the person she probably only trusts is Gai (and maybe Shu) and maybe she is also starting to see Shu in a different light and learning to trust him. looking at Inori, she seems deprived and so only looks blankly at the people as they express millions of expressions and feelings she never felt or experienced before...i think that's her personality

you can see it in this episode how Inori looks at Shu . i'm guessing her void would become a huge BUSTER sword that could transform into a gun.. then you can have a gun blade )
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 23:16   Link #2853
justsomeguy

Another interesting episode of GC:

* The Undertakers finally fail a mission, because a new baddie beats them to the virus. Priest obviously works for GHQ, yet he kills his way into the facility for some reason. Maybe he's carrying out something planned with Shu's dad. For that matter, what did Gai want with the virus, trying to get another Power of Kings for himself?
* Nobody likes crazy blond guy. Even his old man is off banging some secretary chick (though being a womanizer is a huge personality flaw that can be exploited).
* Shouta is a bro, and Hare is damn cute (but everybody ignores her for some reason, and she doesn't push the issue when Shouta reveals Shu and Inori's living together).
* Shu learns about the power of Social Links.
* Whoever drew the endpic knew exactly what we wanted: Tsugumi in a striped bikini.

Currently playing: The Last Story, Knights in the Nightmare
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 23:22   Link #2854
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I would have liked those episodes more if Shu stopped looking sad and the tone wasn't all over the place. Or just the first one.

And if Inori is supposed to be a warning to what happens when you fall for emotionless girls, that would be awesome, although I don't think the boring and nonsensical relationship has been worth it so far.
Honestly, that's probably just me being overly optimistic, lol.

I really really hate to say it, but Hare/Shu/Inori is starting to make me think just a little bit of Yoshida Kazumi/Yuji/Shana from Shakugan no Shana. In other words, normal cute girl who seems like a nice enough girlfriend/brooding Yuji Everyman/superpowered mysterious girl!

The normal cute girl almost never fares well in these sorts of love triangles...
Old 2011-12-01, 23:29   Link #2855
TheEroKing
Version 2

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Having been a fan of Gintama for so long and being used to Shinpachi's voice I found Shouta's "confession" scene pretty lolworthy

Already upped on danbooru
Give up on Inori already Shu, Hare is/has so much more
Old 2011-12-01, 23:36   Link #2856
totoum
Backstop

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I kind of have to wonder if this is Guilty Crown's way of saying to its own male viewers, "Stop obsessing over the 2D idols of the otaku world, and find real girls to have meaningful relationships with; real girls like the character Hare!" You could call it the anti-Keima campaign.
That scene in episode 3 where Shu says Inori is like a 2d girl and his friends tells him to take that back comes to mind,still can't but think that odds are Inori isn't quite human.

Quote:
Maybe that's another message this anime is trying to impart on Japanese otaku: Be honest and expressive about your feelings, and don't hide the real you or be ashamed of who you are.
Isn't that persona 4

Quote:
I'm starting to see some specific character development for Shu, tied into his "friendship" with Souta, and that's great to see. I think this episode is strongly hinting that Shu needs to get a spine, not just on the battlefield, but also in his relationships with other people.
I guess this comment from the staff in the ANN interview kind of mentions this:

Quote:
He has friends, but he doesn't have connections with them yet. The relationships are skin-deep. That's more of a 2011 type, nowadays, of a 17-year-old boy.
Old 2011-12-01, 23:37   Link #2857
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, that's probably just me being overly optimistic, lol.

I really really hate to say it, but Hare/Shu/Inori is starting to make me think just a little bit of Yoshida Kazumi/Yuji/Shana from Shakugan no Shana. In other words, normal cute girl who seems like a nice enough girlfriend/brooding Yuji Everyman/superpowered mysterious girl!

The normal cute girl almost never fares well in these sorts of love triangles...
Err... Triple. Why did you have to make this comparison? WHY?

GG

(And I was starting to move on with the Kazumi thing)

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 23:39   Link #2858
TheEroKing
Version 2

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Hold on guys, I think we forgot we talk about someone...

She wants to fuck.
Old 2011-12-01, 23:49   Link #2859
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

she looks hypnotize
Old 2011-12-01, 23:58   Link #2860
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Hold on guys, I think we forgot we talk about someone...

She wants to fuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
she looks hypnotize
Gai's harem + 1
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig