AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-12-09, 20:20   Link #1
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Howl's Moving Castle

Let me begin simply:

Honestly, this soundtrack is superb, amazing, spectacular, beautiful, whatever you want to call it. This is not a surprise, since this is a Joe Hisaishi score, but after the wait between his last soundtrack for Ghibli, Spirited Away, I forgot just how amazing he is at composing music and keeping the quality high. For those of you who do not know, Joe Hisaishi composed the scores for all the Studio Ghibli movies directed by Hayao Miyazaki, namely Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro, Kiki, Porco, Mononoke, and Spirited Away. Hisaishi has also composed scores for some live-action Asian movies such as Kikujiro no Natsu and Brother.

On to a closer analysis of the soundtrack. The twenty-six tracks contained within are all beautiful, although some are a minute or less than a minute long. If I had to pick one of Joe Hisaishi's past works to which this Howl soundtrack is the most similar, it would probably be Spirited Away. Maybe five or six tracks gave me Spirited Away vibes. One or two had a slight Kiki's Delivery Service feel, albeit less playful and therefore slightly more dramatic. Another one or two, including the seventeenth track, Moving, gave me Laputa vibes. The rest, however, were really a style all of their own. The main theme, repeated many times in different forms throughout the soundtrack as is Hisaishi's style, is particularly beautiful. The final ending theme (combined with the main theme at the end) sounds like a mix of the Spirited Away ending theme and the Only Yesterday ending theme, the voice of the woman singing certainly being the highlight. For those of you who've watched the promos, the song played during the background of the 2:17 one (with Howl and his three different hair colors) is Wandering Sophie, a rendition of the main theme. The other promo, with more dialogue, has the final ending theme for background music.

This soundtrack hasn't left my CD player since I got it, so I just felt like I really wanted to talk to someone about it. The music is so magnificent, that it's just made the waiting five times as hard, because I know I'll love the soundtr

Oh, and one more thing... I've been wondering what exactly an image album is. There is one for Howl, with ten tracks, and one for practically every Ghibli film released. In the case of Hisaishi/Miyazaki films, are the image albums also composed by Hisaishi? Or is it one of those 'music inspired by x' things? Thanks.

Last edited by Fighter Volk; 2004-12-09 at 20:33.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote