AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Chapter 121 Rating
Perfect 10 9 15.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 13.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 22.41%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 31.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 10.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 3.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-03, 11:09   Link #261
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

*shrug, it figures.....the Awakening probably did that to them - and it wouldn't surprise me to see Hysteria and Roxanne talking like that, whether they were even Awakened or not.

Cassie wouldn't normally talk like that, but again, the awakening is responsible - and it's not like she still isn't the same girl underneath regardless.

Yeah, it's weird seeing them talking like that, but considering the situation, it's not shocking - it's actually a nice contrast from the previous Big Three which were very aristocratic and would never talk like that; that's probably why it's such a shock to people.

Teresa however probably had the same language as well.
Old 2011-12-03, 11:22   Link #262
Claymore!
Puff The Magic Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Yeah, it's weird seeing them talking like that, but considering the situation, it's not shocking - it's actually a nice contrast from the previous Big Three which were very aristocratic and would never talk like that; that's probably why it's such a shock to people.
I really liked how the old AOs acted. Especially Riful. She was always so calm and humorous. I really liked her attitude towards others. It was always sort of "friendly" if you know what i mean. Eventhough she tortured claymores into awakening, she was so calm about it.
I also liked how Isley had a little honor and was usually pretty cool. I also liked his AB form the most out of any AB we have seen so far.

Quote:
And what is that supposed to mean ()

"King's to you, Fernand"
Old 2011-12-03, 11:35   Link #263
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore! View Post
Just venturing a guess but I'd say that she always had a witty attitude, ith her newly awakened and her inhabitions gone she might go for pure insults over witty lines. However I dont see it, I just think she'd always be witty rather as an ab then a crude one like Cassandra.

Last edited by Ryus; 2011-12-03 at 14:01.
Old 2011-12-03, 11:37   Link #264
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic

Quote:
lol
We've seen more words coming from Teresa's mouth (or head) than from Galatea's for example and there is nothing to support what you're saying. Teresa was a person who never beat around the bush but she never used foul language. Even against the bandits she used the word "filth" only even though she should have called them "motherfathers" or worse.
Old 2011-12-03, 12:23   Link #265
Dark Night

Mmm, Teresa was not really the type to curse. She was blunt, and had what I would call a sarcastic streak, though I've seen it called arrogance.

Someone mentioned that Yagi might have been intentionally going for these designs. It occurs to me that this might be true, and that he was aiming for something.

This is just speculation, but people seem to agree that the ZAOs' designs are...unusual, to say the least, when compared to pretty much every other awakened being we've seen (or at least the really powerful ones). Could this be a result of being dead? Other ABs went from being alive to awakening, while these three had died before being brought back. Perhaps being dead somehow twisted their entire being, and the weird awakenings we're seeing are the results of that.

The other possible explanation (mostly for Hysteria) is that if indeed who you were affects what you awaken into, Hysteria is like this because she can't remember much of what she was, thus the missmatched look.
Old 2011-12-03, 13:49   Link #266
Claymore!
Puff The Magic Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Night View Post
This is just speculation, but people seem to agree that the ZAOs' designs are...unusual, to say the least, when compared to pretty much every other awakened being we've seen (or at least the really powerful ones). Could this be a result of being dead? Other ABs went from being alive to awakening, while these three had died before being brought back. Perhaps being dead somehow twisted their entire being, and the weird awakenings we're seeing are the results of that.
Actually that could be it. Maybe because they were already dead (and possibly the yoki they received from priscilla) it affected what they looked like when awakened.
But i actually like Roxanne's new form. IMO for some reason I see an Egyptian type thing when i look at Roxanne. I don't know why, but to me she looks sort of Egyptian.

"King's to you, Fernand"
Old 2011-12-03, 15:16   Link #267
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Just read gernot's translations. It seems there's no much difference from what I've been told so I'll make a brief overall impression.

Spoiler for :
Old 2011-12-03, 15:42   Link #268
Nixl

Nice, finished my LSAT just in time for the translation release.
Old 2011-12-03, 16:58   Link #269
White Silver King
The Isley

Quote:
*shrug, it figures.....the Awakening probably did that to them - and it wouldn't surprise me to see Hysteria and Roxanne talking like that, whether they were even Awakened or not.
I would normally agree but it didn't do so to the original AOs. They all kept their intelligence while Cassandra's just seemed to go out the window.
Old 2011-12-03, 17:03   Link #270
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Claymore View Post
Just read gernot's translations. It seems there's no much difference from what I've been told so I'll make a brief overall impression.

Spoiler for :
I think that proper descriptions of chapter evaluation instead of going from painful to perfect should go like this:

Spoiler for shit:

Still I found this chapter much better than the last one. And lol @ Rimuto.
Old 2011-12-03, 18:15   Link #271
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore!
I really liked how the old AOs acted. Especially Riful. She was always so calm and humorous. I really liked her attitude towards others. It was always sort of "friendly" if you know what i mean. Eventhough she tortured claymores into awakening, she was so calm about it.
I also liked how Isley had a little honor and was usually pretty cool. I also liked his AB form the most out of any AB we have seen so far.
Yeah, I get what you're saying -- they were formal; cool, and collected....and weren't vulger and crude; that's the contrast from the old, to the new, that, in my opinion, I actually like.

Believe me, I can get why it's distasteful to people, since we never really hear this type of language from anyone, but it personally doesn't bother me.

Quote:
It means what it means - Teresa is also a No.1 and, though we never actually heard her using any such language, her personality and arrogance perfectly fits her using such talk -- the irony is, is that we may have never heard her actually talking like that because she's "too above it" - in other words, her ego is the reason we never saw her talk like that .

Hysteria now that I give some more thought, may be the same thing -- her focus on elegence may have been the reason we, in the very short time we've known her, never talked like that; she saw herself as "above" such talk -- again, arrogance is the reason. Now that she's become an Awakened Being however, she's lost those self-inhibitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus
Just venturing a guess but I'd say that she always had a witty attitude, ith her newly awakened and her inhabitions gone she might go for pure insults over witty lines. However I dont see it, I just think she'd always be witty rather as an ab then a crude one like Cassandra.
Basically my line of thinking except for that last bit -- naturally, it's not like every No.1 Awakened, or any Awakened in general, talks like that; it boils down to personality and, even in the case of arrogant people, they still might not talk like that -- that was the thing with Isley/Riful/Luciella; they were brutal with their methods, but not with their words.

Really, it all boils down to personality then power -- with more power, the likelihood of being more arrogant increases and, the likelihood of using crude language; this goes even further when the person Awakens, but of course, none of these are set-in-stone rules.

It could very well just be a thing Yagi prefers not to include to be perfectly honest - again, we've gotten plenty of characters, like Helen, Ophelia, Deneve, Teresa etc... who's personality begs them to use such language, but they don't -- maybe it's just something in him that prefers not to include such language, with the occasional exception (Agatha screaming "bitches" come to mind). Maybe he's merely making Cassie talk like this to shock the audience as her personality would never typically fit such language, but now that she's awaken, she now does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral
lol
We've seen more words coming from Teresa's mouth (or head) than from Galatea's for example and there is nothing to support what you're saying. Teresa was a person who never beat around the bush but she never used foul language. Even against the bandits she used the word "filth" only even though she should have called them "motherfathers" or worse.
You don't think she would talk like that? I do

Naturally, just to remind, we're talking if they awakened, would they talk like this -- personally, I say yes, or at least the likelihood in my opinion goes up. But like I said, their's alot of things on this issue, and it could easily boil down to Yagi not wanting to include such talk -- that Teresa and all these characters are "too cool" to talk like this.

That's probably it, and why we never see such talk really, despite many characters seemingly fitting this behavior to a T -- and really, given the darkness and brutality of the Claymore world, it's a wonder that most, if not all warriors, talk crudely in general; again, it seems a deliberate thing on Yagi's part -- sweet insecure Cassandra is one of the exceptions, in her case, for the sake of shock-value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Silver King
I would normally agree but it didn't do so to the original AOs. They all kept their intelligence while Cassandra's just seemed to go out the window.
Cassandra's intelligence didn't go anywhere -- Awakening has simply now changed her from a shy antisocial girl to a crazed "I'm the Boss" Abyssal; trust me, she's the same person underneath, as is them all.

Last edited by Shiek927; 2011-12-05 at 13:43.
Old 2011-12-03, 18:26   Link #272
Claymore!
Puff The Magic Dragon

Quote:
though we never actually heard her using any such language, her personality and arrogance perfectly fits her using such talk
I definitely do not think that Teresa would use foul language in an AB form. She really was above that, but i don't see how it would fit her personality. Teresa doesn't care about belittling her opponents. she would just kill them. So i highly doubt Teresa would use such language.
Cassandra wasn't very arrogant or pride-driven and she still used foul language.
I don't see what would make you think Teresa would do that, unless you just don't like her and are hating on her .

Quote:
Really, it all boils down to personality then power -- with more power, the likelihood of being more arrogant increases and, the likelihood of using crude language; this goes even further when the person Awakens, but of course, none of these are set-in-stone rules.
So that explains why priscilla is such an arrogant bitch. But she still doesn't use foul language.

"King's to you, Fernand"
Old 2011-12-03, 18:47   Link #273
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
I definitely do not think that Teresa would use foul language in an AB form. She really was above that, but i don't see how it would fit her personality. Teresa doesn't care about belittling her opponents. she would just kill them. So i highly doubt Teresa would use such language.
Cassandra wasn't very arrogant or pride-driven and she still used foul language.
I don't see what would make you think Teresa would do that, unless you just don't like her and are hating on her .
>_> You're making it more complicated then it is -- though if you think I'm hating on her after saying she wouldn't use rude language even after she awoke because she's above it, you're strongly defending her and her ego

Though really, you don't think she belittles her opponents? She spent the whole time doing that to Rosemary and the Slayers -- Just because she doesn't bluff about her power, because she really is as powerful as all that, doesn't make her any less arrogant or aggressive.

I don't want to make this all about Teresa (even worse then debating her power, is debating her ability to curse -__-; I singled her out initially because people were originally talking about No.1's cussing and not people in general), but if we're talking foul language just in general, their are a ton of people who have the kind of personality that fit them using such language and they still don't -- again, when you take into account the world itself and what every warrior has been through, It wouldn't surprise me if just about every warrior talked crudely, and it would be a rarity to see someone not talk crudely.

Again, I think it fits more Yagi prefering not to have this kind of language become a regular thing though then anything else.

Quote:
So that explains why priscilla is such an arrogant bitch. But she still doesn't use foul language.
So what you're saying is, she's just like Teresa
Old 2011-12-03, 18:58   Link #274
Guido

Really?

I thought I had this impression that Awakening turns the subject into this nasty giant of a monster with such Godhood complex?

Or at least this disgusting arrogance that says: "I cannot be touched by insects, because I'm just power incarnated".
Old 2011-12-03, 19:06   Link #275
Claymore!
Puff The Magic Dragon

Quote:
Though really, you don't think she belittles her opponents? She spent the whole time doing that to Rosemary and the Slayers -- Just because she doesn't bluff about her power, because she really is as powerful as all that, doesn't make her any less arrogant or aggressive.
No i don't think she was very arrogant. Maybe a little but not as much as you are implying. And she was not agressive.

If Teresa had a specific awakened personality i would say that she would act most like Isley, cool, calm, and honorable. I don't see why she would need to use foul language.

Quote:
So what you're saying is, she's just like Teresa
Not at all.
Teresa was neither Awakened nor an evil bitch.
And neither of them used foul language.
I also think that priscilla is above using foul language. Teresa and Priscilla are both above that sort of thing.

Quote:
again, when you take into account the world itself and what every warrior has been through, It wouldn't surprise me if just about every warrior talked crudely, and it would be a rarity to see someone not talk crudely.
Yeah it is actually surprising that we don't have more rude language. It probably is because Yagi doesn't want that or doesn't feel the need to write that sort of thing.

"King's to you, Fernand"
Old 2011-12-03, 19:26   Link #276
Fermat

Yup, I think awakening likely causes one to lose almost (if not all) inhibitions. I theorize that such crude language (because of superiority complex/arrogance or some other reason) from abrupt disinhibition is seen in the recently awakened. And then, if they wish so because of their original preference for etiquette and such, the ABs manage to control themselves as they age. All the relatively old ABs seem to have that degree of control in terms of language save when they're very angry (Isley, Riful, Luciela, Agatha) while those recently awakened seem to lack that control despite appearing to be unable of speaking such language (Rosemary, Cassandra). Rosemary seemed like a prideful but well-mannered warrior, but quickly changed upon shifting to awakened form. She even says "shit" as well. It makes one wonder, is "shit" the favorite word of ABs?

Oh, and Priscilla seems to be an exception. She always is... She was relatively well-mannered even while killing Nos. 3-5, if I remember correctly.
Old 2011-12-03, 20:16   Link #277
Demon6666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermat View Post

Oh, and Priscilla seems to be an exception. She always is... She was relatively well-mannered even while killing Nos. 3-5, if I remember correctly.
i agree. I read all these people calling Priscilla 'evil' and 'bitch' but from the very beginning she was actually a good person. She just couldn't stand it that Teresa the 'evil' one was stronger than herself and that's what caused her fall from grace. in her mind she was the ultimate good guy and teresa the ultimate bad guy. the awakening changed her mind and ambitions just like everyone else. Now poor priscilla is awakened and she doesn't even remember why so i'm not surprised if she's a little pissed at the moment. especial after not eating for seven years, that would make anyone a little grumpy.
Old 2011-12-03, 20:21   Link #278
Claymore!
Puff The Magic Dragon

Well of course priscilla was a good person before she awakened. But now she is not. She is an evil monster who killed Teresa, Riful, Alicia, Beth, Dauf, and countless human beings. Teresa and Riful (and even Dauf, but only when he was with Riful) being some of my favorite characters and important in the story.
Human Priscilla = good
AB priscilla = bad
It's pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon6666 View Post
Now poor priscilla is awakened and she doesn't even remember why so i'm not surprised if she's a little pissed at the moment. especial after not eating for seven years, that would make anyone a little grumpy.
No she remembers why she awoke. Teresa. Thats why she wanted to kill Clare so badly.
And i wouldn't call her "poor".

"King's to you, Fernand"
Old 2011-12-03, 20:30   Link #279
Demon6666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore! View Post
Well of course priscilla was a good person before she awakened. But now she is not. She is an evil monster who killed Teresa, Riful, Alicia, Beth, Dauf, and countless human beings. Teresa and Riful (and even Dauf, but only when he was with Riful) being some of my favorite characters and important in the story.
Human Priscilla = good
AB priscilla = bad
It's pretty simple.

No she remembers why she awoke. Teresa. Thats why she wanted to kill Clare so badly.
And i wouldn't call her "poor".
exactly. Teresa was evil in her mind. So its no wonder she wants to kill her again. and of course she ate humans and killed other characters. She didn't even know who she was when she first awakened due her amnesia and only acted on instinct. Priscilla seemed pretty remorseful even for a new awakened being imo. it was as if something deep in her was telling her that something was wrong. Her encounter with raki and isley made her seem more human than even Clare in many ways imo.
Old 2011-12-03, 20:39   Link #280
Claymore!
Puff The Magic Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon6666 View Post
exactly. Teresa was evil in her mind. So its no wonder she wants to kill her again.
No she wants to kill "Teresa" again to feel the enjoyment from it. She doesn't care about good or evil anymore.

Quote:
and of course she ate humans and killed other characters. She didn't even know who she was when she first awakened due her amnesia and only acted on instinct.
No she remembered just fine. It wasn't until her fight with Isley that she lost her memory.

Quote:
Priscilla seemed pretty remorseful even for a new awakened being imo. it was as if something deep in her was telling her that something was wrong. Her encounter with raki and isley made her seem more human than even Clare in many ways imo.
yeah when she met Raki she wanted to find the source of the scent on him. The scent intrigued her because it was somehow familar. So she had to gain his trust by not eating any humans in hope that one day Raki would lead her to the souce of the scent. But when she found it she didn't need him anymore. She destroyed the town they were in and ate all the humans.

"King's to you, Fernand"
Closed Thread