AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 29.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 11.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 17.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 15.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 12.12%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 5.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 2.27%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.27%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-04, 05:00   Link #101
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Feels sort of like a meta-preview of F/SN and just how powerful Rin really is, though I can't shake off the feeling that the entire episode exists as sort of fan service for those who have watched or played F/SN...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:01   Link #102
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

I like rin and all but....

they just totally changed the dynamics of her character from fate zero, she is NOT supposed to be the strong girl from f/sn

Last edited by JPZ; 2011-12-04 at 05:15.
JPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:03   Link #103
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Feels sort of like a meta-preview of F/SN and just how powerful Rin really is, though I can't shake off the feeling that the entire episode exists as sort of fan service for those who have watched or played F/SN...
EXACTLY what i was thinking
Old 2011-12-04, 05:04   Link #104
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Even if we disregard the possibility of it resulting in a rushed episode 11, this episode was still rather flawed on its own merits, so I can "hate on it" all I want (which isn't the case either way, since I still thought it was decent overall). But yes, I'll only possibly blame it for the quality of the next episode's pacing when I actually see that one, which is why neither me nor anyone else was blaming it for that just yet, but merely discussing the possibility of it coming to happen. And in my case, discussing having a little more hope in ufotable than that (even if they disappointed me with their resorting to needless pandering for this one episode).
I don't have an issue with people saying they'll blame this episode in its entirety if next week's is rushed. I do have issues with people saying they'll blame the anime original portion. That portion is approximately five and a half minutes. The time UFOTable would save by cutting it seems just a tad short to kick off a new arc, so I'm not seeing how the anime original portion of this episode could have come at the loss of material in the next arc.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:06   Link #105
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

Archer makes everything more entertaining for the mongrels soon, don't fret.
Old 2011-12-04, 05:11   Link #106
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Because the episode didn't make sense, that's why?
Now that's getting a bit ridiculous: Caster wasn't around Ryonusuke either when the former met Saber the first time and attacked the Einsbern Castle either.

The relationship between the two is simple: they are enthusiast psychopath killers, and share a few "hobbies", but they have their own agenda. Ultimately, Caster care much more about his "Jeanne", while Ryonusuke just does anything he wants.
Both in the anime and LN, Caster is -not- monitoring Ryonusuke at all, and while Ryonusuke is a fanboy of the former, the latter doesn't stay around like a dog either.

Faulting this episode for the shift of mood and conclusion is one thing, but throwing stuff like that is nothing close to pertinent.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:12   Link #107
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
why is Caster so far away from his master in this episode.
I think he was right there watching in amusment, waiting for the right moment to come down on little Rin. Remember what Caster said in ep2 about feeding them some hope before devouring them makes the fear all the sweeter?
Look at Rin's reaction to saving her friend, "mission accomplished, I can do anything!"
Her hopes are at their highest, it's the perfect time to strike...
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:15   Link #108
Belial13

ah well if all episodes were good / awesome it would set too big of a standard i guess
Belial13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:24   Link #109
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I don't have an issue with people saying they'll blame this episode in its entirety if next week's is rushed. I do have issues with people saying they'll blame the anime original portion. That portion is approximately five and a half minutes. The time UFOTable would save by cutting it seems just a tad short to kick off a new arc, so I'm not seeing how the anime original portion of this episode could have come at the loss of material in the next arc.
Agreed, they seem to be very careful about their timings. If there is any filler content, I'm sure it was simply a necessity for their script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5
I can't shake off the feeling that the entire episode exists as sort of fan service for those who have watched or played F/SN...
I feel like F/Z was written with some fan service in mind to begin with. This is going to be concentrated in an anime adaption, because such things are made for fan service primarily. It's not as blatant as say, the UBW movie, and the studio is crafting this anime very well.

If I try to put myself in the shoes of a viewer without any clue or prejudice...besides it being nice to look at due to the cut-above quality, I don't think the anime is a great entry point for a new audience. Could be wrong though.
Old 2011-12-04, 05:34   Link #110
GeostigmataShi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Or, he could just be away planning to convince 'Jeanne', like what he's been doing ever since he saw Saber, while Uryuu (who has no vested interest in her) was off doing what he normally does.
Or he gather his own children... it's quicker if they move seperatly anyway
GeostigmataShi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:45   Link #111
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The only problem I have with Rin causing so much trouble for Ryonusuke is this: If Rin can do this, why can't her father? Or any other Master for that matter?

I mean, this guy is supposed to have a bounty out on his head, IIRC. Free command seals for getting him and/or Caster, right? And yet Ryonusuke can casually go around playing pied piper, and a kid Rin is enough to cause him problems, but none of the other Masters can get to him even with free command seals on the line.

It paints a rather strange picture, imo.
It just shows that Tokiomi is extremely cautious ( or "boring", as Gilgamesh would say ), while Rin is a risk-taker ( and very unexperienced ). Tokiomi would probably defer action because "it looks too easy, it must be a trap".
Old 2011-12-04, 06:17   Link #112
calorie

Excellent episode. Don't know why anyone would consider this a filler; a detour in the storyline yes, but it was too much fun for me to even consider it being unsatisfactory.

One of the highlights of the episode for me was the eerie music that played when Rin learned about the death of her classmate. It sort of re-established the notion of Caster as a truly perfect psychopath, we've had enough of his "unrequited love" talk.

The visuals were again outstandingly crisp, a joy to watch.

And I'm glad Kariya reappeared after some time, he seems like a cool character and I'd like to see more of him.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 06:26   Link #113
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was totally a fanservice episode for Rin fans. Needless to say, I loved it. Besides, it did have some merits beyond fanservice. Tokiomi is a character that desperately needed to be fleshed out, and this episode provided that. We've been shown he isn't a mere dick and that even he has a fatherly side. He seemed to genuinely care for Rin, which makes me wonder why he gave Sakura up to a walking penis worm. I suppose he might simply care for Rin as a heir rather than a daughter. I hope future episode will give us more insight about the man.

I wasn't too surprised to find out Ufotable altered the story, as I expected Rin to fail in her endeavor in the first place. I could hardly believe Rin actually manage to save those kids. It just doesn't fit the mood the story. In the end, my joke speculation about Rin accomplishing more than her father turned out to be right
Then again, it's not exactly hard to do more than a guy who spends his days sipping wine in his basement.
Old 2011-12-04, 06:36   Link #114
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Indeed. Anyone new to the Fateverse watching this episode must've been truly baffled as to why they would waste so much time on the mostly inconsequential actions of a minor character who had only appeared for like 3 minutes back in episode 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Um, really? Five and a half minutes is 25% of an episode. You don't think that's a fairly valuable amount of time to be added to any canon story arc? Maybe not enough to make it or break it, but it could certainly improve the pacing somewhat. The reason why I worry about this even though there's no way to know for sure until next week is that I've seen it happen all too often in anime adaptations, be it due to anime original episodes or even recap episodes, which end up taking up time that later down the line could've been used to better convey the much more rushed later portions of a series. It's not really an issue when an anime will go on for as long as required, but I think Fate/Zero has been slated for 25 episodes from the start, and as such I really hope that ufotable planned the pace at which to cover the novels well, so that the time wasted on this episode's filler doesn't end up biting them in the ass later on (well, there's always the Blu-ray versions for additional scenes, but if anything Rin's extended adventure should have been one of those extra scenes since it's a lot less relevant to the plot than mostly anything that's transpired so far).

But again, this is all mere conjecture and we should know for sure next week, so it's not really worth giving it too much thought for now. And if episode 11 is still handled properly, then I won't have any problems with this heavily anime original episode outside of the questionable quality of its own contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calorie View Post
One of the highlights of the episode for me was the eerie music that played when Rin learned about the death of her classmate. It sort of re-established the notion of Caster as a truly perfect psychopath, we've had enough of his "unrequited love" talk.
We have? Personally I feel Caster's at his most entertaining when going nuts over "Jeanne".
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 06:49   Link #115
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
But again, this is all mere conjecture and we should know for sure next week, so it's not really worth giving it too much thought for now. And if episode 11 is still handled properly, then I won't have any problems with this heavily anime original episode outside of the questionable quality of its own contents
Such conjuncture are hardly even in equation for the moment, especially if you don't have the whole scope of the pacing without the original material in mind.

I think the pacing would have been much more atrocious if they shortened Rin's little adventure. I agree it might be a bit too longwinded, but shortening it would force them to put the next portion in the same episode, which would make things even more disjointed. In fact, it would almost be meaningless to put Rin's portion and flat out remove it from the start if they wanted to keep the flow right with the next events.

Instead of having a "faithful" event and a half baked subsequent event, they prefered to extend it to a full episode, for just 5 minutes, so next episode wouldn't be cut midway because the early part was in an "half episode".
Old 2011-12-04, 07:14   Link #116
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Such conjuncture are hardly even in equation for the moment, especially if you don't have the whole scope of the pacing without the original material in mind.

I think the pacing would have been much more atrocious if they shortened Rin's little adventure. I agree it might be a bit too longwinded, but shortening it would force them to put the next portion in the same episode, which would make things even more disjointed. In fact, it would almost be meaningless to put Rin's portion and flat out remove it from the start if they wanted to keep the flow right with the next events.

Instead of having a "faithful" event and a half baked subsequent event, they prefered to extend it to a full episode, for just 5 minutes, so next episode wouldn't be cut midway because the early part was in an "half episode".
Well, you give them more credit than I do if you believe the extension of Rin's adventure should be attributed to them wanting to organise the events better considering the length of each episode and not just them making the most out of a rare opportunity for fanservice to fans of the character in F/SN, as well as fans of loli fans period.

And though I admit to be mostly in the dark when it comes to how well the novel's content per episode has been handled without having read the former myself, I find the idea that you can't have a new arc begin halfway through an episode extremely exaggerated. Why does Rin's adventure in particular need to have an entire episode for itself? Last week we had two completely different events and dynamics in the Lancer's team love triangle antics and then halfway through the episode the focus shifted to a completely different event with a completely different tone in Waver and Rider's trip to Caster's lair. And you didn't see them extending the Lancer team's story just so they wouldn't have to cut midway, did you? Of course not, because it's fairly natural to do so. We've had many more episodes with different events in different locations taking place one after another, as well as episodes that began new stories near the end and concluded in cliffhangers.

So, again, the notion that an episode absolutely needs to be a self-contained story so as to not feel is disjointed is rather exaggerated. Rin's adventure was a little different from most other acts so far, but I really don't see why it couldn't have shared the episode with a different event like so many other episodes have done. As I see it, it was a lot more about extending an opportunity for fanservice than the extreme concern for the episode's structure you make of it.
Old 2011-12-04, 07:18   Link #117
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
now that explains how Rin also became a mahou shoujo
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 07:19   Link #118
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
So, again, the notion that an episode absolutely needs to be a self-contained story so as to not feel is disjointed is rather exaggerated. Rin's adventure was a little different from most other acts so far, but I really don't see why it couldn't have shared the episode with a different event like so many other episodes have done. As I see it, it was a lot more about extending an opportunity for fanservice than the extreme concern for the episode's structure you make of it.
The general purpose was obviously for fanservice, and I'm not too happy with it either. But concern about the pacing is pretty much baseless so far. What I mentioned what would have happened if the episode was actually centred only with the original material: half of an episode which would has little proper transition with the next events, especially how they are.
And really, the next events after Rin's are pretty much way too meaty to pull a portion of it in half of an episode.
That would have been similar to cut Lancer and Saber first encounter before their last charge or cutting an episode right before a boring Tokiomi's monologue (turning the next episode into a very cold opener).

The thing is that the subsequent events wouldn't work if it is split right in the middle. They are nowhere close to Rider and waver little trip or the triangle exposure / flashback.
Old 2011-12-04, 07:31   Link #119
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
What I mentioned what would have happened if the episode was actually centred only with the original material: half of an episode which would has little proper transition with the next events, especially how they are.
And really, the next events after Rin's are pretty much way too meaty to pull a portion of it in half of an episode.
That would have been similar to cut Lancer and Saber first encounter before their last charge or cutting an episode right before a boring Tokiomi's monologue (turning the next episode into a very cold opener).

The thing is that the subsequent events wouldn't work if it is split right in the middle. They are nowhere close to Rider and waver little trip or the triangle exposure / flashback.
You may be right about that, I suppose. It's not really something I can concede or dispute without having read the novels myself. I guess I'll see for myself next week then. I actually do hope the subsequent events are as different from Rin's adventure as possible.
Old 2011-12-04, 08:58   Link #120
blue_sora

Well if you think about it since when an episode adapted from a Gen Urobuchi's novel and the script under his supervision (if I'm not mistaken) has a happy ending? I agree this episode thematically different than the rest of Fate/Zero and to keep in line with it they should have made the children dead or something. Either Urobuchi-san has a soft place for Rin or he really has gone soft after Madoka and allowed ufotable to turn it into a happy ending .

But I guess if they made it too dark or too vastly different maybe it will contradict events in F/SN so maybe they thought this is the only way to keep it safe. The Rin scene with Uryuu is entirely plausible for me to accept, so it was okay for me.

P.S. We really put ufotable in a high standard, don't we? If it was an another anime with another studio I think most will pass it as meh instead of rage. Not that I find the rage is unacceptable, of course
blue_sora is offline   Reply With Quote