AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-03, 15:56   Link #1
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Problems with a Coalgirls' encode (1080p FLAC)

I've run across a weird issue. I'm trying to watch a series from Coalgirls, 1920x1080 H.264 with "XiFL stereo" (according to Quicktime 7; FLAC according to VLC and Coalgirls). Quicktime with Perian won't play sound; VLC 1.1.12 plays it perfectly, but it restarts the video after the first minute or two. Skipping past the restart point results in fine play for 5-10 minutes, but then the video restarts again. This seems to consistently happen across multiple episodes (I tested it and found it reproducible on three; didn't test beyond that). Processor usage is around 25%-45% per core with VLC, and slightly above 50% per core with Quicktime (dual-core processor). Operating system is OS X 10.7.2 - the mPlayer binary that I have was apparently a PPC program and 10.7 removed Rosetta support, so I can't test that.

Any suggestions?
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 16:48   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Resolved - there's a new incarnation of MPLayer OSX available in the Mac App Store called MPLayerX, available for free. It takes my cores to 60's to 70's during playback, but it's able to play the episodes without problems.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 03:14   Link #3
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 28
I strongly recommend you use MPlayer OS X Extended instead.
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2011-12-04 at 04:02.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 21:57   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I strongly recommend you use MPlayer OS X Extended instead.
Downloaded, it plays the videos just fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm wondering about one other thing, though. Perhaps to save on encode time and file size, Coalgirls encodes the openings and endings separately. My understanding is that the encode is made such that the video player will open the opening and ending at the specified place in the video and play it all seamlessly, returning to the main video file at the appropriate points (ordered chapters?). None of these video players seem to do that, though. Any thoughts?
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 03:28   Link #5
pigoz
YUKI.N>
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Milan, Italy
Send a message via MSN to pigoz Send a message via Skype™ to pigoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'm wondering about one other thing, though. Perhaps to save on encode time and file size, Coalgirls encodes the openings and endings separately. My understanding is that the encode is made such that the video player will open the opening and ending at the specified place in the video and play it all seamlessly, returning to the main video file at the appropriate points (ordered chapters?). None of these video players seem to do that, though. Any thoughts?
They have a playback FAQ: http://coalgirls.wakku.to/?page_id=4635

Anyway at the moment the only way to play stuff with ordered chapters on OSX is using mplayer2. This is probably going to change with the release of VLC 1.2.
pigoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 23:30   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
They have a playback FAQ: http://coalgirls.wakku.to/?page_id=4635

Anyway at the moment the only way to play stuff with ordered chapters on OSX is using mplayer2. This is probably going to change with the release of VLC 1.2.
I had looked at their guide before, but figured that mplayer OSX was good enough. Apparently the program has different binaries that can be used... I swapped over to the mplayer 2 binary and ordered chapters are now working fine. Snazzy stuff. Thanks for the help.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.