AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 23 46.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 24.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 12.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-11, 07:54   Link #41
Senshigeia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lusitania
Age: 26
Vuvuzela power!

I thought it was hilarious!
__________________


Sig credit to Bila / Avatar credit to SweetHoney

Check out my anime and manga lists!
Senshigeia is offline  
Old 2011-12-11, 10:06   Link #42
taichi-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
@alvinkhorfire ,@ Cosmic Eagle ,@ Marcus H.

Thanks,yes I'll watch of course,I want to see decarabia fight and more margery


and yeah that Purson came from South africa
taichi-kun is offline  
Old 2011-12-11, 10:55   Link #43
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
quite pity that lion guy, was winning and then suddenly... just like those villains in Jame Bond

looks like the fight in the next eps will be one-sided unless Yuji and team appear
__________________
klare is offline  
Old 2011-12-11, 12:31   Link #44
Ec1ge
A true 灼眼のシャナ Shanite. :D
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ... DON'T BE A STALKER! ... ⊂((・⊥・))⊃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
How can you tell....It sounds more asexual...
Well I'm pretty sure that the creator(s) wouldn't let a guy get raped by some Prof. dude. I guess the "asexual" part would make sense though LOL

Idk. I just think that Domino is a girl.
__________________
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
Ec1ge is offline  
Old 2011-12-11, 14:40   Link #45
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Given that Domino's a Rinne, I'm not sure genders really apply to it.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline  
Old 2011-12-11, 14:46   Link #46
Ec1ge
A true 灼眼のシャナ Shanite. :D
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ... DON'T BE A STALKER! ... ⊂((・⊥・))⊃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Given that Domino's a Rinne, I'm not sure genders really apply to it.
True. And they kinda can change into anything or person they want to too. lol
__________________
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
Ec1ge is offline  
Old 2011-12-12, 00:03   Link #47
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I haven't been posting much on Shana III lately, but I have been enjoying it a lot. I've been waiting for these new (or reintroduced after a long absence) major characters to grow on me a bit before trying to make a full assessment of them. Also, Shana III's overarching war narrative is a bit unlike anything I've seen in the Shana anime before. So much so that it almost feels like I'm watching an entirely different anime, and hence I've been trying to square in my mind how this new identity that the Shana anime has crafted for itself ties into what came before.

I'm still having a hard time squaring that, and this still feels like an almost entirely different anime to me than the previous Shana anime shows, but I know this much: I like this anime, and it's worth talking about.


Rebecca Reed has done a superb job of taking up where Margery Daw left off. She's a great high-energy, high-octane protagonist. That being said, I hope we do see Margery again at some point.

Khamsin's personality makes for a nice contrast with Rebecca's, and his Super Robot-esque big giant weapon of mass destruction is simply loads of fun.

This brings me to one area where Shana III does a good job of tying into what came before: The action scenes.

I truly love how the Shana series/trilogy handles action scenes. Very explosive, typically fast, often unpredictable, and sometimes pretty creative.

I do like how one-on-one standoffs in Shana don't go on endlessly, but rather progress simultaneously with other exciting showcased conflicts and/or end after a quick and impressive fight. This variety of combat helps to ensure that the action scenes always come across as dynamic, engaging, and exciting. Shana's action scenes, and their quality/consistency, has become a real trademark for the series, and a major part of its overall appeal.

Now, going back to the overarching war a bit, I'm relieved to see the Flame Hazes mount an impressive counterattack. A few episodes back, I felt that Bal Masque's domination was becoming a bit excessive, and hence draining a bit of drama and suspense form the conflict. As such, it's great to see the advantage in this war shift back-and-forth, making it more interesting for me.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Sophie Sawallisch and her immediate allies, but their scenes are good ones, starting to match (if not surpass) the Bal Masque scenes in this episode and the last. Bal Masque really was carrying this show for awhile, I felt, so it's good to see the Flame Haze side gain greater prominence and appreciable characterization in recent episodes.

All-told, it certainly makes for a fun-filled and often thrilling viewing experience. I continue to hope, though, that the more human side of the players involved come a bit more to the forefront soon. In particular, I hope that we don't have to wait too much longer for Yuji to reveal his grand plan (whatever it is), and I hope that we see Shana (and other former allies/friends of Yuji) truly reflect deeply on whatever it is, and not make a knee-jerk response to it (one way or the other).


In any event, 9/10 for this episode, which was my rating for Episode 9 as well. For simply providing a pleasing half-hour of entertainment, Shana continues to be one of the very best anime shows for me.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2011-12-12, 01:17   Link #48
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Haze gets hit, takes 10 damage
Crimson Lord gets hit, explodes

Thing is its leaving the impression these bad guys are all weak pushovers while the flame hazes are invincible. I should at least feel like they are a potential threat. The fighting feels hollow to me, the bad guys feel SO pointless when I new fight starts I am already tired of it because I know the outcome. he's gonna blow up after venting hot air. I don't want drawn out pointless fights ala bleach, but I would like this "war" to feel like one.

It just feels like its trying to take all this fighting very seriously, but its so nice to the good guys, it can't.

edit: basically if this war is to be taken seriously, I should at least feel the flame hazes are in danger. They aren't.
I get the feeling that EVERYONE that is not in Yuuji's party raid quest is a cannon fodder. I mean, he could have at least left Sabrac behind. He hasn't been doing anything so far anyway.

Fecor was probably the strongest out of the ones left behind, but he had the terrible misfortune of facing someone with an anti-magic sword. How is a mage supposed to beat someone with magic immunity?
__________________
Key Board is offline  
Old 2011-12-12, 02:10   Link #49
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
The main reason was because their base was impossible to invade/find, in the hundreds or even thousands of years the Flame Hazes had never been able to find them- with that level of confidence there was no reason to leave any real firepower behind.

All the strongest names are either with Yuuji or on the two war fronts- as we can see how much they were pushing back the Flame Haze Army.
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2011-12-12, 15:43   Link #50
Senshigeia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lusitania
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I haven't been posting much on Shana III lately, but I have been enjoying it a lot. I've been waiting for these new (or reintroduced after a long absence) major characters to grow on me a bit before trying to make a full assessment of them. Also, Shana III's overarching war narrative is a bit unlike anything I've seen in the Shana anime before. So much so that it almost feels like I'm watching an entirely different anime, and hence I've been trying to square in my mind how this new identity that the Shana anime has crafted for itself ties into what came before.

I'm still having a hard time squaring that, and this still feels like an almost entirely different anime to me than the previous Shana anime shows, but I know this much: I like this anime, and it's worth talking about.


Rebecca Reed has done a superb job of taking up where Margery Daw left off. She's a great high-energy, high-octane protagonist. That being said, I hope we do see Margery again at some point.

Khamsin's personality makes for a nice contrast with Rebecca's, and his Super Robot-esque big giant weapon of mass destruction is simply loads of fun.

This brings me to one area where Shana III does a good job of tying into what came before: The action scenes.

I truly love how the Shana series/trilogy handles action scenes. Very explosive, typically fast, often unpredictable, and sometimes pretty creative.

I do like how one-on-one standoffs in Shana don't go on endlessly, but rather progress simultaneously with other exciting showcased conflicts and/or end after a quick and impressive fight. This variety of combat helps to ensure that the action scenes always come across as dynamic, engaging, and exciting. Shana's action scenes, and their quality/consistency, has become a real trademark for the series, and a major part of its overall appeal.

Now, going back to the overarching war a bit, I'm relieved to see the Flame Hazes mount an impressive counterattack. A few episodes back, I felt that Bal Masque's domination was becoming a bit excessive, and hence draining a bit of drama and suspense form the conflict. As such, it's great to see the advantage in this war shift back-and-forth, making it more interesting for me.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Sophie Sawallisch and her immediate allies, but their scenes are good ones, starting to match (if not surpass) the Bal Masque scenes in this episode and the last. Bal Masque really was carrying this show for awhile, I felt, so it's good to see the Flame Haze side gain greater prominence and appreciable characterization in recent episodes.

All-told, it certainly makes for a fun-filled and often thrilling viewing experience. I continue to hope, though, that the more human side of the players involved come a bit more to the forefront soon. In particular, I hope that we don't have to wait too much longer for Yuji to reveal his grand plan (whatever it is), and I hope that we see Shana (and other former allies/friends of Yuji) truly reflect deeply on whatever it is, and not make a knee-jerk response to it (one way or the other).


In any event, 9/10 for this episode, which was my rating for Episode 9 as well. For simply providing a pleasing half-hour of entertainment, Shana continues to be one of the very best anime shows for me.
You said it, Triple_R!!

You put in words my very own thoughts. I like this SnS much more than the previous 2 seasons, even though I enjoyed Season 1 very much.
__________________


Sig credit to Bila / Avatar credit to SweetHoney

Check out my anime and manga lists!
Senshigeia is offline  
Old 2011-12-13, 23:38   Link #51
RJ TAYLER
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AUSTRALIA
It just keeps on getting better and better each week. Love the cast, they are truly shining through their roles, the action is just that pure action. Truly it has left a fine impression on me already and is a fine way to go out for the series.

The short New Year interlude might actually be welcome in this season's case as it will give us all a chance to catch our breath and recover for the ride will surely be faster afterwards.
__________________
YOURS
RJ TAYLER

Last edited by RJ TAYLER; 2011-12-14 at 02:42.
RJ TAYLER is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 02:25   Link #52
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
The one thing I have to say about this episode and this season in general is that the overall direction of the show has a very strong sense of confidence -- like they know exactly what they're doing, where they're going, and nothing's going to stand in their way. That's not just reflected in Shana's growing attitude, but just the way everything comes together. A lot of people were concerned in the early days that it was a bit confusing and that the transition from the last season was a bit rough, but I feel like the show is only continuing to build more and more with each week as the pieces are starting to fall together on what's going on and why. It's sort of like my feeling as a viewer has mirrored Shana's attitude a bit -- first a bit lost/confused/tentative, then waiting as things built up, and now increasingly confident in where things are heading. The destination of the show is in sight. This is a sense of confidence that got lost a little bit in the middle of the overall story as themes of adolescence, romance, and major decisions were explored. I still liked those parts of the story, but there's no question that there is something much more powerful propelling this season forward. And yeah, it feels great.

Incidentally, as with all all past seasons, the show will be taking a one week break over the New Year holiday. I'm starting to wonder if the show will end this "cour" with a sense of resolution, or on a cliffhanger note. It seems like we're working towards a resolution to this part of the plot, but I'm sure a twist is coming. Time will tell...
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 06:29   Link #53
elior
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The one thing I have to say about this episode and this season in general is that the overall direction of the show has a very strong sense of confidence -- like they know exactly what they're doing, where they're going, and nothing's going to stand in their way. That's not just reflected in Shana's growing attitude, but just the way everything comes together. A lot of people were concerned in the early days that it was a bit confusing and that the transition from the last season was a bit rough, but I feel like the show is only continuing to build more and more with each week as the pieces are starting to fall together on what's going on and why. It's sort of like my feeling as a viewer has mirrored Shana's attitude a bit -- first a bit lost/confused/tentative, then waiting as things built up, and now increasingly confident in where things are heading. The destination of the show is in sight. This is a sense of confidence that got lost a little bit in the middle of the overall story as themes of adolescence, romance, and major decisions were explored. I still liked those parts of the story, but there's no question that there is something much more powerful propelling this season forward. And yeah, it feels great.

Incidentally, as with all all past seasons, the show will be taking a one week break over the New Year holiday. I'm starting to wonder if the show will end this "cour" with a sense of resolution, or on a cliffhanger note. It seems like we're working towards a resolution to this part of the plot, but I'm sure a twist is coming. Time will tell...
acording to the anime pace until now i can see they will left us with cliffhanger about the snake of the festival
elior is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 15:50   Link #54
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
By my observation, the general reaction to Shana III has been quite harsh. It's interesting to note that both the second and third seasons have managed to polarize viewers, albeit for different reasons. Those who were fine with both S1 and S2 tend to hate S3, whereas S2 detractors seem much happier with S3 so far.

Suffice it to say, novel fans and viewers who are invested in the universe/overarching story seem to be happiest. Casual viewers, however, criticize the slow pace at which the story is unfolding (the flow has completely changed since the writers are presenting a condensed version of the source instead of creating their own narrative and sequence of events) and are particularly displeased with how Shana has been portrayed. I suspect that they also miss the previous focus on the two leads.

I suppose there's no winning approach to adaptation, except in cases where the source has been designed with anime in mind.
TJR is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 20:51   Link #55
blewin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The main reason was because their base was impossible to invade/find, in the hundreds or even thousands of years the Flame Hazes had never been able to find them- with that level of confidence there was no reason to leave any real firepower behind.
and about this point, I find Carmel's "easy" solution into Sereidan Very convenient. Has the author slipped a little? Unless there is a big price to be paid for connecting the 2 palaces (which doesn't seem to have any severe consequences so far other than forming a bridge between the two), shouldn't it have been easy for Carmel to just TELL the Flame Haze about this and use it to invade Bal Masque's HQ?

after all, it has been many years since Shana left the palace. They don't need to use it anymore to nurture a young Flame Haze.
__________________

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 21:44   Link #56
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Those who were fine with both S1 and S2 tend to hate S3, whereas S2 detractors seem much happier with S3 so far.
I personally was fine with all three seasons, but I'm pretty tolerant for changes of themes between seasons as long as it fits the characters and the story. I think this is a story that straddles a lot of different genres, so people who like one aspect more than other are bound to have preferences between the seasons, but I think if you take the show on a whole (all three seasons + OVAs) the various parts come into a pretty good balance and it has a fairly logical flow.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 21:45   Link #57
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argentina
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
and about this point, I find Carmel's "easy" solution into Sereidan Very convenient. Has the author slipped a little? Unless there is a big price to be paid for connecting the 2 palaces (which doesn't seem to have any severe consequences so far other than forming a bridge between the two), shouldn't it have been easy for Carmel to just TELL the Flame Haze about this and use it to invade Bal Masque's HQ?

after all, it has been many years since Shana left the palace. They don't need to use it anymore to nurture a young Flame Haze.
I'm supposing that the price to pay was a big ammount of Power of Existence, as we can see the Shiro/Merihim's image, who we know that hid his last portion of Power of Existence to test Shana after her ascesion as Flame Haze. Maybe Wilhelmina used the very rest of it to rise the castle from the sea.

And actually Wilhelmina did commented the Flame Hazes around the world (as Hildergard) that she was planning an incursion to destroy the Seireiden and rescue the Flame-haired-blazed-eyed Hunter. But everyone were afraid that her plan may not work as it was to lead their forces directly to the enemy lines, Bal Masque could have been told of the passage and put a set up for the unfortunate Flame Hazes. Nevertheless, the Commander (Sophie) did sent her a lot of help, Khamsin 'The Destructor' who is one of the oldest and strongest soldiers. As it was a complete sucess, she launched the Operation Calm over the Denizen's weakened army.

~

Reviewing this episode and the whole season that we have been enjoying so far, I had the certain fear that after the Yuji and Shana fight at the very beginning of the serie, it may start decreasing it strenght and emotion. Guess I was wrong since even with Shana remaining powerless for half a dozen of episodes, the directors still managed ot keep the energy up and at the same time introduce many characters that have become memorable, as if they have been there since season one. They have done a wonderfull job addaptating the novel and fixing up the mistakes of season 2.

So far I think that there have been more deaths at the Denizen's side than at Flame Haze's. I hope the author end this up and let the bad guys have their moment of shine. At the same time, I can't wait to see Yuji meeting Shana again, after realizing her feelings and finding herself, I want to see which kind of argument she will use to try to get him back and 'save him'. As well as the Shinku, Hien, Shinban, Danzai in action.

10/10

This episode can only be matched in energy by Ep. 4.
__________________
SkyFlames is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 21:54   Link #58
Dahak86
Occasional Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Those who were fine with both S1 and S2 tend to hate S3, whereas S2 detractors seem much happier with S3 so far.
I guess the former is my case, then. Although it's not exactly hate or anything of that sort, but more like a general dislike/lack of enjoyment thus far.

Quote:
Suffice it to say, novel fans and viewers who are invested in the universe/overarching story seem to be happiest. Casual viewers, however, criticize the slow pace at which the story is unfolding (the flow has completely changed since the writers are presenting a condensed version of the source instead of creating their own narrative and sequence of events) and are particularly displeased with how Shana has been portrayed.
Again, since I'm not into LNs and I am mostly an anime-only viewer myself (few manga exceptions aside), I can't help but sympathize with those "casual viewers" though I'm more or less fine with how Shana has been portrayed up to now.
Dahak86 is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 21:57   Link #59
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
I like all S1, S2 and S3, despite not knowing jack about the light novels. Derp.
Proto is offline  
Old 2011-12-14, 22:04   Link #60
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
I can care less about the novels at all. The anime has proven that it rocks with a carefully planned pacing and awestruck action scenes.

The conclusion to this episode is an example of that. Shana little by little was recovering her HAXX-strength, as she was questioning herself about what is strength to her.

Her damsel in distress predicament was a need in the plot to prevent uneventful development being thrown out of the blue, but now that she's climbed her way up from the bottom the Red-Eyes, Flaming-Hair, Hunter is back in the neighborhood doing what she does best: slashing Tomogara butt.

And, the best pic for the conclusion to this episode is Shana in Phoenix Mode gathering her surrounding allies towards the last confrontation against Yuuji and Bal Masqué, which made her so GAR to me.
Guido is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.