AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 11
10: Amazing... 6 14.63%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 3 7.32%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 7 17.07%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 24.39%
6 out of 10: Average... 7 17.07%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 2.44%
4 out of 10: Poor... 3 7.32%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 2 4.88%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-20, 21:05   Link #121
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
The previous episode even made it a point that Flit is struggling with the point of EU being human or not, and Grodek quite heavily stating that, no matter what they may look like, they are not human. Flit is running on a blissful ignorance of sorts, blinded by the same thirst for vengeance that is gripping our fine captain. He's a toy soldier and Grodek is keeping him on that path.
Yeah, he's still human and just a child. I don't think he's taking this as playtime. But he can only do so much with that much information.

About Grodek, I already see that he'll do whatever it takes to keep his plans going before. He's also hiding something, even to the crew. For them to be effective pieces, he has to keep something away at the same time to keep their motivations strong.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 21:38   Link #122
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Yeah, he's still human and just a child. I don't think he's taking this as playtime. But he can only do so much with that much information.

About Grodek, I already see that he'll do whatever it takes to keep his plans going before. He's also hiding something, even to the crew. For them to be effective pieces, he has to keep something away at the same time to keep their motivations strong.
There's a lot going on with Grodek, and he's really the character that is making this show worth watching for me, if nothing else. He's driving Flit down the road of the perfect toy soldier and enabling him at every turn, he's using the entire DIVA and its crew to pursue a vendetta with little chance of success, and even if they were to succeed they'd have the entire EFF after them.

He's not evil but he's walking a very dark path and he's taking Flit along with him. I won't be the least bit surprised if he dies for his vendetta in the ultimate confrontation for Flit's arc because I honestly cannot see him walking away from this; he'd neither want nor be allowed to. Failure is not an option and, in the off chance they succeed somehow, he's a wanted/dead man to the EFF.
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 00:26   Link #123
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Awwww, I missed so much T_T...I can only imagine what fresh hell was deleted from those previous posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post

1) I don't think this show is necessarily bad, it's generic and nothing I would watch if it didn't claim to be a Gundam show...

2) ...Because when I was 5-9 years old, I watched The Roses of Versailles, Nadine and Sailor Moon and that totally was about war, sacrificing for the greater cause, death of loved ones and all that...
Shame that kids-shows nowadays have to be of the daft kind to qualify, would hate to be a kid today..

3) I've noticed that disliking the art style is often dismissed by the defenders of AGE as a valid argument, but I'm not sure why... it's a visual media, and so of course it plays a role....

4) The thing with Age is that people are trying to give it a chance, despite the way it looks, and that's imo so far solely because it is a Gundam show....

5) I feel loads of people wouldn't have even glanced at this show, or given it more than 3 episodes, if it were a standalone series not affiliated with any franchise... If we're honest, nothing remarkable has happened that would've glued anyone to the screen or that would set this show apart from any other random generic super-robot show churned out by the industry...
Wow what a breath of fresh air you are...It's like wingdarkness without all the baggage^^...I don't think it's humanely possible for me to agree more with everything that fills this quote box...

Quote:
I think the mark of a good kids show is that loads of adults can appreciate it too without finding major faults with it. I don't even think AGE needed these designs or dumbed down storytelling to interest me, if I were a child. I'd much rather feel the show is taking me seriously and trying to tell me something, but I'm not getting any of that from Age.
I was watching Gundam Wing when I was a kid and I might not have understood everything, but I loved it, and it got me into the franchise, so I don't see the need to churn out a show aimed specifically at kids.... why show them something that's 10 times more lame than the rest?
Is the idea: "Come on kids, if you sit through 50 episodes of this and buy the model kits, you can all watch the GOOD shows after..."

The thing with Yugioh is, most of the original series was really good, some marketing strategies here and there for the game, but the plot and all was interesting. Age sort of reminds me of Yugioh GX in the respect that it was a bit of a dumbed down Yugioh. The difference is, GX started out awesome but became unwatchable later on, so my hope is, it will be the opposite with AGE..
Great points,...I was actually talking about this a few weeks ago aswell...For something like Yugioh you can compartmentalize and ignore the friendship, marketing, or kiddy aspects of the show, but when you just focus on the story, the story was damn good...Minus the horror of the Orakalkos arc (which still had some nice duels), the Dark Bakura storyline was awesome...There's not one villain or character in this show that could touch Dark Bakura...But that's not really the point, the point is that some people are watching this show with an expressed desire to ignore the more "kiddy" (for lack of a better word) elements...I CAN ignore that, so if I'm ignoring that and am still seeing so many problems, that is what it is...


Quote:
edit: Jesus, I'm hoping I won't get flamed at for criticizing this show ^^'' these are just some things that came to mind, no ill intentions...
I will flame you if you stop posting!
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 02:25   Link #124
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Agreed, well said SkullFaerie and nicely articulated points, can't quote the entire post as it'd be too long but I totally agree.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 03:09   Link #125
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Frankly, I'm not sure I understand the fascination with the animation from either side of the argument. How is it either a boon or a detriment? I feel like the discussion is revolving much the same way a discussion about just how wet water is would end up going. Yes, the show has QUALITY issues but that's not an issue limited to this show and its not rampant, but aside from that? Adults look like adults, kids look like kids, and the crazy action figure toys flying through space? They look like crazy action figure toys flying through space.

Water? Its wet.

I understand that its a visual medium but I do not take that to mean that it must also conform to a very specific art style, otherwise why would I have watched: Madoka, FLCL, or any other slightly off the wall show that was quite good despite of its unconventional looks. A visual media, to me, implies that the *power of the delivery* lies predominantly in the visual and, often, built upon and complimented by the other immediate sensory stimulus: the audio. This then amounts to choreography, direction, and fluidity, but not necessarily on style unless your personal taste just turns you off from the product. In the same way as one does not judge a book by merely the font used to type it. (Yes, this is how absurd this argument sounds to me right now.) If the show has good direction, good fluidity, and good choreography, then from the purely critical angle of saying "Its in the visual media then it must be X" it will satisfy all critical X.

If you now want to break down the show and ask is the direction good, is the choreography good, etc, then feel free. I'll even agree that much of AGE has thus far not been well directed or choreographed but I'm not going to lambaste the show merely for its choice of font. The reason I'm giving this show its due chance, though, has nothing to do with Gundam as I could careless about the cover of the book, and everything to do with the glimpses of brilliance I've seen in how it has as a visual media, handled the direction & choreography of certain crucial scenes for certain characters, and because I happen to find some of the characters and their roles interesting. They have shown to me that they can make powerful scenes, they have also shown me that they can fail at it miserably.

I'll wait until the end to actually give a full opinion, otherwise it's just jumping the gun and playing off personal bias.
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 03:28   Link #126
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany, most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
The previous episode even made it a point that Flit is struggling with the point of EU being human or not, and Grodek quite heavily stating that, no matter what they may look like, they are not human. Flit is running on a blissful ignorance of sorts, blinded by the same thirst for vengeance that is gripping our fine captain. He's a toy soldier and Grodek is keeping him on that path.
I thought the first few minutes of EP 11 showed that Flit was not entirely certain whether his choice to fight was right or not. Not exactly a drone, just yet.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 03:43   Link #127
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
I thought the first few minutes of EP 11 showed that Flit was not entirely certain whether his choice to fight was right or not. Not exactly a drone, just yet.
If you take a step back and look at the people encouraging Flit, every single one of them aside from Emily and Bruzar (who's focus was on having Flit save people, not to actually fight) has been driving him down the toy soldier route to some degree. Grodek is the most obvious and most clearly driven in accomplishing this because Flit is his best weapon and he cannot have the kid start *thinking* and possibly undermining his own determination. Woolf isn't purposefully guilty of it, since he's a soldier talking with a soldier. Yurin is an odd ball as her story, sad as it is, is only further driving/enabling Flit's vengeance route.

It will be interesting to see what the show does with this because there's a possibility for something very neat to come out of it (like breaking Flit and rendering him incapable of piloting the gundam for psychological reasons of having been a toy soldier and being traumatized by it), that would be unusual for the genre and would also be a great way (aside from just *time skip lulz*) to put the Gundam in Asem's hands.
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 03:56   Link #128
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena
Frankly, I'm not sure I understand the fascination with the animation from either side of the argument. How is it either a boon or a detriment? I feel like the discussion is revolving much the same way a discussion about just how wet water is would end up going. Yes, the show has QUALITY issues but that's not an issue limited to this show and its not rampant, but aside from that? Adults look like adults, kids look like kids, and the crazy action figure toys flying through space? They look like crazy action figure toys flying through space.

Water? Its wet.

I understand that its a visual medium but I do not take that to mean that it must also conform to a very specific art style, otherwise why would I have watched: Madoka, FLCL, or any other slightly off the wall show that was quite good despite of its unconventional looks. A visual media, to me, implies that the *power of the delivery* lies predominantly in the visual and, often, built upon and complimented by the other immediate sensory stimulus: the audio. This then amounts to choreography, direction, and fluidity, but not necessarily on style unless your personal taste just turns you off from the product. In the same way as one does not judge a book by merely the font used to type it. (Yes, this is how absurd this argument sounds to me right now.) If the show has good direction, good fluidity, and good choreography, then from the purely critical angle of saying "Its in the visual media then it must be X" it will satisfy all critical X.

If you now want to break down the show and ask is the direction good, is the choreography good, etc, then feel free. I'll even agree that much of AGE has thus far not been well directed or choreographed but I'm not going to lambaste the show merely for its choice of font. The reason I'm giving this show its due chance, though, has nothing to do with Gundam as I could careless about the cover of the book, and everything to do with the glimpses of brilliance I've seen in how it has as a visual media, handled the direction & choreography of certain crucial scenes for certain characters, and because I happen to find some of the characters and their roles interesting. They have shown to me that they can make powerful scenes, they have also shown me that they can fail at it miserably.

I'll wait until the end to actually give a full opinion, otherwise it's just jumping the gun and playing off personal bias.

Let me first start by saying this is the topic at hand...We log on, we talk about stuff...That's what we do...

So if the animation is a topic people are talking about, the more critically intrinsic comment-makers (or people who just want to talk about this) are gonna get deep into that...

I directly don't have much of a problem with it...I've always been the type to accept whatever world the anime chooses to present and from that established context then you can begin to evaluate and strip apart the skittle-colored flavorful layers that belay this visual medium...

Given AGE's obtuse designs that were favorably comparable to more "kiddy" anime shows (rightly or wrongly) it creates a context for discussion...Now had AGE slapped us across the face early on and gave the audience a clash of context on this (which is negligible) I think the responses would be different...

I don't know, off the top of my head I'm thinking of a show like Needless for comparison...Maybe not great but my point is early on you see $hit that betrays the animation style...A clear intent...Subjective I know, but i feel like in certain instances you can clearly make-out what they were trying to do (Appeasing the bandai execs with the designs yet still writing the show as if it has no bearing on the expressed demographic concerns, FOR EXAMPLE)...

AGE doesn't appear to be doing that...Like some have mentioned it can certainly be viewed as generic in tone and story elements...SO when you take that into account, with the fact that you initially viewed the animation as "kiddy", it definitely has the potential to supersede your established view on this (Me not liking AGE's character designs, despite being someone who would accept this in most other instances)...

So in this sense, the choice of font wasn't the problem...It's like, Times New Roman is pretty sweet to look at when you reading enjoyable $hit...Not so much when you're reading boring $hit...

When the Bandai script writers and whoever else came out with the whole spiel about not judging it just based on the designs or kiddiness (How that's laffable and what not), that rented space in my mind...That's something that made me want to really give it a chance...To see (IMO) that those words were suspect at best and hollow at worst, it can't help but enhance the earlier opinion on the font, if you will...

Quote:
The reason I'm giving this show its due chance, though, has nothing to do with Gundam as I could careless about the cover of the book, and everything to do with the glimpses of brilliance I've seen in how it has as a visual media,
And that's a great point because you have created a base for which to discuss things with you moving forward...But I think it's equally important to acknowledge that by passing the buck on that, the otherside would feel the fluttering weight of a feather with that chain of thinking given Gundam's ridiculous amounts of franchise and universe shaping throughout 3 decades of content...

I can't flush 10+ whatever years of Gundam shows shaping my mind on a 2-ply Charmin...Heh, it just doesn't work like that, so I can certainly see the divide in which we indelibly ride...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 04:29   Link #129
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Given AGE's obtuse designs that were favorably comparable to more "kiddy" anime shows (rightly or wrongly) it creates a context for discussion...Now had AGE slapped us across the face early on and gave the audience a clash of context on this (which is negligible) I think the responses would be different...
When I think kiddy, I'll be honest, Gundam AGE does not come to mind. Its more obtuse and of broader strokes than its predecessor 00 but its not what I think of when I think kiddy. That, to me, is exemplified and expressed by deformed proportions ala digimon or pokemon, and kiddy direction, delivery, and thematics (tying this into my definition of a visual media). And while I understand your point with Needless, I cannot say that such an early on *slap in the face* is necessary because the art style of AGE isn't of a deceptive style. I said it before: The kids look like kids, the adults look like adults, and the giant toys flying through space look like giant toys flying through space. Its not extravagantly detailed, its not extra beautiful but there's nothing in this that is making me thing kiddy. Its just plain.

This is going to cause a sort of dissonance between us because I simply won't be able to agree with any assertion towards kiddy. Moreover the show has established, in those few moments of very good direction, that it can touch on very non-kiddy tones well and deliver effectively. (That isn't to say that only these few scenes establish this. As the other conversation I'm currently partaking in is about Flit being a toy soldier, which is hardly a kiddy theme even if its execution is thus far... poor?) Bruzar's entire climax undercut every expected cliche for kiddy (and just about all of the anime old guy says "I leave it to you hero" as he dies cliches) and he died in a way you wouldn't have expected while fighting through excruciating pain and bleeding all over. This is not the sort of delivery you'd expect from a kiddy visual media in the vain of Yugioh, Pokemon, Digimon, Bakuman, and the like.

But let's just be clear, I am perfectly fine with criticizing the show for being: boring, poorly thought out, plot holed, etc, as these are all valid complaints (some more than others). It is just this strong focus on the art style and the fight over it, that's really got me baffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
So in this sense, the choice of font wasn't the problem...It's like, Times New Roman is pretty sweet to look at when you reading enjoyable $hit...Not so much when you're reading boring $hit...
Now this, I can understand. Its boring, its boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I can't flush 10+ whatever years of Gundam shows shaping my mind on a 2-ply Charmin...Heh, it just doesn't work like that, so I can certainly see the divide in which we indelibly ride...
I am not flushing my experience with Gundam down any toilets but I am also not carrying over my opinions/expectations from other Gundam shows onto new ones. I face each show with a blankness of sorts in order to attempt to judge a show on its own merits not on its predecessors (such as the case of Gundam (especially one from, say, UC)) or its lack thereof (such as the case of an Anime original show of some sort (or a Gundam time line with no backing, say 00 or Age)).
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 06:07   Link #130
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
When I think kiddy, I'll be honest, Gundam AGE does not come to mind. Its more obtuse and of broader strokes than its predecessor 00 but its not what I think of when I think kiddy. That, to me, is exemplified and expressed by deformed proportions ala digimon or pokemon, and kiddy direction, delivery, and thematics (tying this into my definition of a visual media).
Fully agree, when i hear kiddy i see things like SD, Dora the explorer, Bob the builder and so on, when i heard this show was going to be used to gain a new audience by being a tad bit lighter i was quite surprised really, but when i heard about the 3 generation i was really interested though, the animation part isnt bothering me, it's more the lack of consistency throughout the show, as lots of people have mentioned earlier

Quote:
And while I understand your point with Needless, I cannot say that such an early on *slap in the face* is necessary because the art style of AGE isn't of a deceptive style. I said it before: The kids look like kids, the adults look like adults, and the giant toys flying through space look like giant toys flying through space. Its not extravagantly detailed, its not extra beautiful but there's nothing in this that is making me thing kiddy. Its just plain.
Indeed, and even old Gundam shows tend to mess up the age - look part, with Lt. Burning looking like he was 60+ when in reality he was 39.

Age has different animation, the same as pretty much every AU series.

Quote:

I am not flushing my experience with Gundam down any toilets but I am also not carrying over my opinions/expectations from other Gundam shows onto new ones. I face each show with a blankness of sorts in order to attempt to judge a show on its own merits not on its predecessors (such as the case of Gundam (especially one from, say, UC)) or its lack thereof (such as the case of an Anime original show of some sort (or a Gundam time line with no backing, say 00 or Age)).
Agreed, but would you watch this show if it didnt have Gundam in its name though?
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 06:29   Link #131
Faerie
10% but stupid as toast
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
ok, first of all, I'm on holidays and using a laptop with a really weird keyboard. trying to eliminate all typos, but if I miss something, or type up garbage, sorry -__- I tried....
Also, thanks for the kind words and rep guys, I am touched...


Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
There's not one villain or character in this show that could touch Dark Bakura...But that's not really the point, the point is that some people are watching this show with an expressed desire to ignore the more "kiddy" (for lack of a better word) elements...I CAN ignore that, so if I'm ignoring that and am still seeing so many problems, that is what it is...
Oh true, I loved Bakura, and while I was watching it, most of the time I didn't even remember it's technically a kids show because the plot was thick and the characters well fleshed out, even villains and side characters. Age on the other hand hasn't even managed to add much depth to their main cast, and even if it gets better later, shows have to impress during the first couple of episodes. A lot of people don't have the patience to dedicate months to giving the show a chance, so having a strong first arc even at the risk of having a weak middle arc would've been favorable to establish a fanbase first. The more I think about it, the less I understand the executive decisions that were made with Age..



Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
That, to me, is exemplified and expressed by deformed proportions ala digimon or pokemon, and kiddy direction, delivery, and thematics (tying this into my definition of a visual media). (...) The kids look like kids, the adults look like adults, and the giant toys flying through space look like giant toys flying through space. Its not extravagantly detailed, its not extra beautiful but there's nothing in this that is making me thing kiddy. Its just plain.
I do agree with you Vena, the art style shouldn't be the main reason for criticism.
I think a lot of people are indirectly talking about the sloppy direction etc as well when they complain about the art. And plain is a good word to describe it, hits the nail on the head. Thing is, the kids look too much like kids. I don't know, but they seem to be about 6-8 years old, definitely younger looking than for example the digimon kids and surely not 13 or what. It just feels somehow awkward to see these supposed 6 year olds hanging around on a military ships and giving advice to the adults, far worse than in other Gundam shows. Because really, they look like preschoolers, not teens.

Btw, it's funny you would mention Digimon because when I first saw what Age looked like, I though of the designs in Digimon Savers for some reason.
The thing with Digimon is though that it isn't trying to be about adult topics while being scripted like a kids introduction to war and peace.
Same goes for pokemon, it has a style appropriate for what it is, and it's funny and entertaining within that scope. There's little fault to find with Pokemon at all, in fact it appeals to adults for being funny, and kids for being a quality kids show.
Basically what wingdarkness said, and Madoka is intentionally misleading, FLCL is just Gainax being awesome.
Age can't boast any of that so far, it's just Sunrise being unwise.

You made a good point about Flit being a bit of a puppet as well. Hopefully that was intentionally written this way and will be explored, along with the mutinity having consequences, instead of just being bad writing, because that would be a glimmer of brilliance right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
You know what's funny, usually in modern anime it always seems to be the Male lead that we want to see man up and become a proper hero, but Gundam AGE has sort of turned it around a bit by making the female lead the one that starts off somewhat immature and doesn't quite get the big picture, but honestly I think she's already managed to get there after the talk with Madorna's girl. Honestly can't recall her making a scene ever since that point and she just seems to have accepted that Flit if going to be a part of this fight and to allow him to do what he wants and support him in any way she can rather than trying to intervene on his behalf.
Good point, now that you mention it. It would be quite great if this led to Emily getting some massive development and becoming the Best Girl by the end of this arc, as I don't think people are expecting much from her except getting knocked up and being an annoying motherly type. I mean it would be great if she had some role other than the nothing she's been given and playing second fiddle to Yurin. But maybe I'm being a bit optimistic here, there's not many episodes left. I think Flit is immature too though, he doesn't understand what he's doing, he's a puppet like some said (which is funny too, actually, that relates him to classic female leads, the whole puppet princess thing.. hahaaa) and he hasn't shown much emotional depth or thought so far. He's like 'yey, Gundam. Yey, cute girl.whatever, emily. Yey, Gundam.' Man up, kid
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 12:56   Link #132
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Agreed, but would you watch this show if it didnt have Gundam in its name though?
Why not? Gundam catches my attention, I won't deny that, but I give almost every show that airs per season a few episodes unless its just atrocious or driven by nothing but idiot balls and fanservice. The third episode of AGE was good enough for me to continue watching, the name Gundam (and the Gundam itself) had little to do with why I found that episode good. Conversely, if the third episode hadn't been what it was, I probably would have dropped the show and just looked at screen caps on the RC blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
I do agree with you Vena, the art style shouldn't be the main reason for criticism.
I think a lot of people are indirectly talking about the sloppy direction etc as well when they complain about the art. And plain is a good word to describe it, hits the nail on the head. Thing is, the kids look too much like kids. I don't know, but they seem to be about 6-8 years old, definitely younger looking than for example the digimon kids and surely not 13 or what. It just feels somehow awkward to see these supposed 6 year olds hanging around on a military ships and giving advice to the adults, far worse than in other Gundam shows. Because really, they look like preschoolers, not teens.
The kids do look a tad young if you take them at face value but you can gain a sense of scale if you take note of just how young Flit looks in the flashbacks. Its skewed, certainly, but its not unbelievably skewed and it has a sort of internal consistency. Flashback Flit looks young, Current Flit looks like a fairly logical progression if we say that he aged by several years. The adults all look like genuine adults and have a diversity of their designs, frames, and ages, which is not something you'd find in a kid's show aside from that one Grand Pa/Ma figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Basically what wingdarkness said, and Madoka is intentionally misleading, FLCL is just Gainax being awesome.
Age can't boast any of that so far, it's just Sunrise being unwise.

You made a good point about Flit being a bit of a puppet as well. Hopefully that was intentionally written this way and will be explored, along with the mutinity having consequences, instead of just being bad writing, because that would be a glimmer of brilliance right there.
I can see where the digimon/pokemon likeness might come in but it the delivery, direction, and thematics quickly diverge between the former and AGE. Sunrise isn't doing themselves any favors but I don't think they are purposefully shooting themselves in the foot. A plain art style is safe, that's really its only characteristic. Its not risque nor is it overly simplified.

The story has a lot of promise right now even if its on a rickety bridge.
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 13:05   Link #133
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Why not? Gundam catches my attention, I won't deny that, but I give almost every show that airs per season a few episodes unless its just atrocious or driven by nothing but idiot balls and fanservice. The third episode of AGE was good enough for me to continue watching, the name Gundam (and the Gundam itself) had little to do with why I found that episode good. Conversely, if the third episode hadn't been what it was, I probably would have dropped the show and just looked at screen caps on the RC blog.
i feel exactly the same.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 06:22   Link #134
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Mm, not enough happened, and I guess Yurin's story was kinda typical, "oh nos my family is dead and I am a sad little softspoken girl" But I am a sucker for those things so what can you do? They certainly milked the moe for all it was worth.

But in any case, it really helps Flit and Yurin establish a connection with each other since they both suffered from the UE and now that Flit has found a purpose, maybe she can too.

To say the least, I enjoy these kind of things. 7/10
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 07:10   Link #135
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Agreed, but would you watch this show if it didnt have Gundam in its name though?
I believe that not many people on this board watch it and defend it just because it's a Gundam show. Most of the shows I chose to watch, I'll watch it to the end, because there is still a chance it actually has something interesting even if the show suck, or everything isn't just as what I thought it is. I even endured all of the GSD shit until the last ep (heck, even to the "remake" final episode") just to hope thing will be better.
__________________
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 12:23   Link #136
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Mm, not enough happened, and I guess Yurin's story was kinda typical, "oh nos my family is dead and I am a sad little softspoken girl" But I am a sucker for those things so what can you do? They certainly milked the moe for all it was worth.

But in any case, it really helps Flit and Yurin establish a connection with each other since they both suffered from the UE and now that Flit has found a purpose, maybe she can too.

To say the least, I enjoy these kind of things. 7/10
I equate this as being your basic shore leave arc that you can find in any Gundam show where there's a short break from fighting the enemy and usually only some minor conflict to take care of while the rest of the episode is spent on character development and foreshadowing. Basically remember that episode of Zeta we watched where they go into the Side 6 colony and Kamille takes Fa and the kids on a horse carriage ride and then Rosammy jumps in? Similar idea. I don't think I've ever actually seen a Gundam show without an episode like this one.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 13:47   Link #137
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
According the preview it seems like Yurin is a lying hussy. That little red haired boy pays a visit.

I guess she ran away from the UE because she didn't want to kill people. We know she has newtype-ish powers. She knew the UE's tactics. It's kind of obvious she is hiding something and she's been playing Flit. She wants to see the Gundam again. She wanted a friend and the truth would make them enemies.

She was coaching Flit on mecha piloting when she first appeared... better than Woolf has been doing.

It's pretty obvious she's UE.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 02:37   Link #138
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I equate this as being your basic shore leave arc that you can find in any Gundam show where there's a short break from fighting the enemy and usually only some minor conflict to take care of while the rest of the episode is spent on character development and foreshadowing. Basically remember that episode of Zeta we watched where they go into the Side 6 colony and Kamille takes Fa and the kids on a horse carriage ride and then Rosammy jumps in? Similar idea. I don't think I've ever actually seen a Gundam show without an episode like this one.
Yea, it's pretty hard to fault this episode for anything really. It does its job, and yes we do need breaks from the action to push whatever the next arc is, which will mostly be about Yurin's true nature.

Though having nothing severe to fault with doesn't mean the episode is perfect and couldn't have done better. I'm sure those with reading comprehension problems will say I am mindlessly praising and/or bashing the show (At the same time nonetheless )
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-12-25 at 18:23.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.