AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2011-12-17, 07:48   Link #61
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well since my name's been mentioned I'll add some more info.

One of my favorite Okada Mari shows,mainly because this show is all about character interaction and she nails it (though of course credit also has to be given to the other two women involved in this,the mangaka Hoshino lily and director Kon Chiaki).

It's one of those animes that just gets better with time,I thought of dropping it early but then felt really rewarded when I didn't.

Why did I feel like dropping it?Despite the unnusual setting the plot and characters looked completely blend.
And sure,I guess you could say the plot is nothing special and yes the character types are quite basic,but as 0utf0xZer0 said they're "done right",thanks to the writing and cast.
One the female side you've got tsundere lead done right (Nakahara Mai makes a great tsundere),shy girl done right (that's right up Hanazawa Kana's alley) and Genki girls done right (Toyosaki Aki and Horie Yui,need I say more?) I'll round off by saying Hakura Tomatsu is in there as a supporting character.

On the male side you've got the "wuss lead" done right (Sakurai Takahiro in a role quite different from the ones he had in Cross Game and Ano Hana), a "male loli" done right (Kaji Yuuki was born for this role ) and a "the stoic" done right (Hino Satoshi)
Old 2011-12-18, 09:51   Link #62
miketyson

Kurau Phantom Memory? Didn't see it on your list.

It's a solid B+ series and is extremely well-plotted and well-paced. What it has going for it is largely that it takes a somewhat vanilla premise and thinks through it much more carefully and with far more "heart" than is the norm; the first episode is enough to see what I mean by that.

Overall, I give it a B+ b/c it does exactly what it sets out to do, but isn't perhaps as ambitious as it could've been; given how well it did what it did it feels like it could've been a lot more than it was. It's also one of those things I found I "appreciated" more than I "enjoyed".
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 15:25   Link #63
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

No Giant Robo?

That's like the best and the most ambitious OVA's in 90's.
Old 2011-12-18, 23:14   Link #64
king12354

Definitely need to try Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Might be shoujo but it had very good storytelling and direction.

And Nodame Cantabile. Very funny and sweet and the drama hits all the right notes.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 17:44   Link #65
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've never been crazy about the whole Idol anime thing.
If that's why I don't find White Album on your list, go give it a try. It's one of the best harem shows out there (and appears to be sadly underappreciated - except by a few non-vocal fans).

Since you asked about Lovely Complex and Aishiteru ze Baby and I still don't see it on your list:

I thought Lovely Complex was quite an enjoyable watch, and from reading your posts online I think you might enjoy it more than I do. (But I don't really know you, so take that with a grain of salt.)

Aishiteru ze Baby is wonderful on the whole. Until Usagi Drop came along, this was my favourite unexpected-Child-rearing show.

I second Zakuro.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 04:41   Link #66
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post

Since you asked about Lovely Complex and Aishiteru ze Baby and I still don't see it on your list:

I thought Lovely Complex was quite an enjoyable watch, and from reading your posts online I think you might enjoy it more than I do. (But I don't really know you, so take that with a grain of salt.)

Aishiteru ze Baby is wonderful on the whole. Until Usagi Drop came along, this was my favourite unexpected-Child-rearing show.

I have to second both of these, Aishiteru was one I avoided for awhile myself then watched it and was like...wow...thats one of my favorites!
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 08:30   Link #67
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's at the very top of my possible next options, if Winter 2012 turns out to be a flop.
just finished Princess Tutu...(was halfway when recommend you)

Winter 2012? Watch it as soon as you finish whatever you're watching right now. the story is one of the most engaging, clever and beautiful story i've ever seen and it have amazing plot twist near the end that will blow your mind even more than madoka did, at first i was delayed to watch it because i didn't think i will like it, but now I regret not having watched it sooner.
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 08:36   Link #68
dametsuna

My favourite is Katekyo HItman Reborn which is 203 episodes long.
It got really nice plot and characters. (although the first 10 episodes are quite dissappionted, but it went better afterwards)
I enjoyed it very much. Hope you enjoy it too.
dametsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 18:18   Link #69
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
just finished Princess Tutu...(was halfway when recommend you)

Winter 2012? Watch it as soon as you finish whatever you're watching right now. the story is one of the most engaging, clever and beautiful story i've ever seen and it have amazing plot twist near the end that will blow your mind even more than madoka did, at first i was delayed to watch it because i didn't think i will like it, but now I regret not having watched it sooner.
Yeah, but the problem is I have series reviews to do for every one of those shows I'm watching now, plus all my year-end best of lists, etc., not to mention dealing with the family over the holidays. Ack! There's just no time.

I may try to slide in the Medicine Seller stuff from Ayakashi and Mononoke, as that seems to be getting pushed on me by everyone and their Uncle lately.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 09:16   Link #70
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I really suggest dropping the $9 on the Bakeneko DVD and watching it before Mononoke. Neither series carries a big commitment; the longest story arc is four episodes, so you can watch a complete story in an evening.
Old 2011-12-24, 03:57   Link #71
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I really suggest dropping the $9 on the Bakeneko DVD and watching it before Mononoke. Neither series carries a big commitment; the longest story arc is four episodes, so you can watch a complete story in an evening.
Yeah, that's the medicine seller arc, yes? I was planning on watching that first, because it leads into Mononoke.
Old 2013-06-29, 08:06   Link #72
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Topping the thread as I've just finished the excellent but heartbreaking Princess Tutu (longer review in the series thread). Add to that Hikaru no Go, Gankutsuou, Natsu no Sora, Mononoke and Rahxephon and I've made a bit of headway off this thread.

Still plenty more here - more than I'll ever have time to watch in a lifetime - but if anyone has any new ideas I'm all ears.
Old 2013-06-29, 08:18   Link #73
Haak
F**k my life...

Kara no Kyoukai series.

It's reception is why Fate Zero got adapted.
Old 2013-06-29, 08:44   Link #74
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm going to second Nodame Cantabile, which remains in my top-ten. I'm actually a bit surprised you haven't watched it. The first sequel isn't up to the quality of the original, but Finale brings back the original director and staff and provides a fitting conclusion.

I haven't seen anyone mention Oh! Edo Rocket (including, surprisingly, me), so maybe it is already in your list? It's a strange, often hilarious concoction of science-fiction, historical settings, and general zaniness. It's also the only show I know of that was adapted from a stage play, though the anime format gave the playwright a lot more room for creativity when he wrote the adaptation. Madhouse rolled out the A-team when they animated this show, too.

See if you can dig up the Shinsen subs. The Funimation translation is heavily localized, while Shinsen's translator stayed much closer to the original and provided some useful on-screen notes that provide historical context.

I suspect the Tenpou reforms banning entertainment, which Rocket satirizes, provided the inspiration for Okada Mari's plot in AKB0048 as well.
Old 2013-06-29, 19:02   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I love OER, talked about it on the series thread many times. Another gem from the ridiculously great Spring 2007 season.
Old 2013-09-07, 08:09   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Another one to scratch off the bucket list: LoveCom. I think it's fair to say it delivered almost exactly what I expected - Osaka-ben, very funny comedy, charming but exasperating romance. We're not talking profound here but as a straight-up romcom with the accent on the com, I think it's one of the better examples I've seen in recent years. Amazingly, yet another excellent series from Spring 2007 which, if you haven't heard me say it already, is for my money the best anime season of all-time.

Next from this thread, I think, is Welcome to the NHK. Watamote has put me in mind of it, and it seems like a good fit for my sensibilities.
Old 2013-09-07, 21:56   Link #77
Seiryuu

Question: did you ever take a chance and try finishing Angel Beats? I was surprised by your rating, it changes a good bit in later eps.
Also, you might want to take another look at the Zero no Tsukaima series. Like with many long series, it has its highs and its lows, but the whole is great.
Real hard to come up with something. I keep looking and just about everything I can think of that I've SEEN, regardless of my opinion of it, is on your list. Among the few that I've seen and liked to any degree that I don't see:
Shion no Ou (high recommendation)
So Ra No Wo To (aka Sound of the Sky, also recommend)
Aishiteruze Baby (since you liked Usagi Drop)
High School DxD
Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
Nanoha StrikerS (may need to see A's first to appreciate it fully, but not entirely necessary)
Strike Witches (you seem to enjoy a good dose of fanservice as much as I do, so may work out)
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo Ne
Last, have you seen Koe de Oshigoto? I can't say it was a work of brilliance, but it's pretty good and short enough that you'll be done before you get a chance to drop. It's quite ecchi, but considering you gave a positive rating to a show that nearly broke the bounds of what can be shown on TV, you should have no problem with that.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 00:12   Link #78
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I got far enough into Angel Beats that I'm pretty confident my mind wasn't going to change - it wasn't a three or four episode thing. As for Zero, I cannot begin to tell you how much I loathed the second season. The first had elements that irked me, too, but enough positives to coax me through it. There's pretty much no way I'll ever watch another episode in that franchise.

There are others in your post that are definitely on my list, but it's always a question of time.
Old 2013-09-08, 21:36   Link #79
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
On Familiar of Zero the third season was worse than the second, but the fourth season was as good as the first.

I looked over your list again. Have you really not seen Clannad: After Story?

You're also missing:

Chrono Crusade

Full Metal Panic (First and second season, and Fumuffu)
Some of the Gundam series
Martian Successor Nadesico
Maison Ikkoku I mentioned it before, but I mention it again. It does start out slow, but not only is it a great series, but considering the other anime you like it should be right up your alley.
Otome Yōkai Zakuro
Ranma 1/2 (Stick around at least till the start of the second season since that is when the series hit it's stride)
Read or Die OVAs - they're better then TV
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

I'm surprised you got stalled on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Dropping Kanatagatari at episode 3 is too bad, since episode 4 was when the story became much more interesting.
I can understand why you didn't like To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, but you ought to check out the second season (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S) It's really good. It doesn't have the amount of fanservice in the first season, and much better drama and action sections.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 04:41   Link #80
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
On Familiar of Zero the third season was worse than the second, but the fourth season was as good as the first.

I looked over your list again. Have you really not seen Clannad: After Story?

You're also missing:

Chrono Crusade

Full Metal Panic (First and second season, and Fumuffu)
Some of the Gundam series
Martian Successor Nadesico
Maison Ikkoku I mentioned it before, but I mention it again. It does start out slow, but not only is it a great series, but considering the other anime you like it should be right up your alley.
Otome Yōkai Zakuro
Ranma 1/2 (Stick around at least till the start of the second season since that is when the series hit it's stride)
Read or Die OVAs - they're better then TV
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

I'm surprised you got stalled on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Dropping Kanatagatari at episode 3 is too bad, since episode 4 was when the story became much more interesting.
I can understand why you didn't like To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, but you ought to check out the second season (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S) It's really good. It doesn't have the amount of fanservice in the first season, and much better drama and action sections.
Yeah, sorry about that - points up a few oversights on my list as I've seen several of those, which are now fixed.

I would be hard-pressed to say Railgun 2 is going to work for me considering how thoroughly the first season annoyed me, to be honest. As for Katanagatari, it's just a Nisio Isin thing with me - I absolutely can't stand his writing style. I did dislike Katanagatari a lot less than his other series, though.