AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-12-09, 00:11   Link #5241
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Google'd. Read up. Installed.

Is now testing with the check torrent IP site.

I'm wondering though, since the check torrent IP site warned that VPNs occasionally drop connection and expose me anyway, would an extra layer of defense with PeerBlock + configuring VPNetMon necessary, not quite necessary but might as well do it, or just a waste of time?
When it comes to torrents, I think it's all a waste of time. A VPN is useless because it just means that the target that will get hit with a subpoena will be the VPN host instead of you. What do you think the VPN host will do with that? They likely have a record of whose "true" IP was receiving the traffic that brought the subpoena about, and I'd be very surprised if the company would not immediately redirect the lawyers to you. The true strength of VPN is in allowing you to secure your connection even when you're using sketchy access points: the router will only see you connecting with one server the entire time (the VPN server), and all traffic will be encrypted. That's both privacy and security from the router's owner and local traffic sniffers. Beyond that, it offers no protection.

How about peer block lists? Your IP is already being passed around once you enter a torrent. The only thing that a block list does is it prevents you from uploading to or downloading from any IP that's on that list. It doesn't prevent them from receiving your IP, which already gives you away as being on the torrent. I don't know exactly how the companies choose who to send legal notices to - there are theories that the companies need to catch you uploading data (to them) in order to send a notice. However, given that they've sent these notices to people who were deceased or didn't even own a computer, I'm a bit doubtful that they're so precise.

If you're after material that is so high-risk that you really need countermeasures, I'll tell you the best countermeasure of all: don't get it through a torrent. There are other things that you can do to protect yourself while still using torrents, but in all of those cases you're simply creating a headache for the owner of the resources you'd be using in the event of a lawsuit.

Last edited by Ledgem; 2011-12-09 at 00:26.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 00:17   Link #5242
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^I'm hardly playing around with CP or lulzsec or something that would make the FBI go after me. All I want is to keep the DMCA automated "you've got mail!" off my back. I imagine many VPNs deal with that shit by the thousands everyday, and many have the advantage of not being in the USA, where the MAFIAA is the rule of law. They can handle my load.

That, and it's pre-emptive defense in case the Let's Fuck The Internet Bill passes Congress after all.

And of course log and monitoring policy, as well as P2P policy, is important. However I'm not willing to pay for it, which means searching around gets harder as many "good" solutions require payment.

So what would be your solution? Usenet?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 00:25   Link #5243
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
^I'm hardly playing around with CP or something that would make the FBI go after me. All I want is to keep the DMCA automated "you've got mail!" off my back. I imagine many VPNs deal with that shit by the thousands everyday, and many have the advantage of not being in the USA, where the MAFIAA is the rule of law. They can handle my load.
Personally, I do not trust any VPN provider to stick up for me if my activity brings lawsuits to them. It's not a risk that I'd be willing to take. Of course, it's your risk to take and your judgment to make.

Quote:
So what would be your solution? Usenet?
Bearing in mind that I have no idea what you're after, don't care to know what you're after, and have been out of the file-sharing circuit for quite some time, my top choice was always IRC. Usenet is a possibility, but it isn't so hot (but certainly worth a go if your ISP gives you free access). Then there are always foreign P2P networks...

But when in doubt, figure if the risk is worth the rewards. If you have to think twice about doing it, then you probably shouldn't be doing it, and all that.
Old 2011-12-14, 06:44   Link #5244
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author

Sometimes when I scroll down, it stutters and scrolls up, what is this?
Old 2011-12-14, 06:56   Link #5245
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Sometimes when I scroll down, it stutters and scrolls up, what is this?
Your browser sucking. That or there's an anchor on the page and your browser is slow to load/process the document.
Old 2011-12-14, 06:58   Link #5246
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author

Damn, should've known.
Old 2011-12-14, 08:13   Link #5247
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
That or there's an anchor on the page and your browser is slow to load/process the document.
For forum browsing an anchor is quite likely the cause especially if you're using to "first new post" button since it will anchor somewhere on the page when used.
Old 2011-12-18, 03:28   Link #5248
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Question:
Watching youtube and playing facebook game causes flash crashs, anyway to solve this?

Best user answer: do not watch youtube while playing facebook game
Old 2011-12-18, 04:01   Link #5249
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Update your flash? Or, as a stopgrap measure, use Chrome and another browser, until a flash update comes.
Old 2011-12-18, 07:36   Link #5250
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Update your flash? Or, as a stopgrap measure, use Chrome and another browser, until a flash update comes.
I do use different browsers for different uses. Unfortunately youtube and facebook are within the same categories =(

Can't be helped i guess
Old 2011-12-18, 14:40   Link #5251
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
Use as few things that require flash as possible? though it seems like every page nowadays has flash somewhere on it.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 12:52   Link #5252
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

More question... Want to start a thread on this, but feels it's a waste

Mate(guy) is going to Japan to teach English. Any recommends on what should i gift as farewell gift? Somewhere around $50 or less should be good. Best ideas at this moment are all computer stuffs (mouse, good keypad or some nice headset)

Thought of getting him some card games so he can play with his students, but it's probably hard to decide which one
Old 2011-12-25, 17:46   Link #5253
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

If I am allergic to almonds eating-wise, do you think I'd be allergic to a body wash with almond oil in it? :l

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 19:01   Link #5254
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
If I am allergic to almonds eating-wise, do you think I'd be allergic to a body wash with almond oil in it? :l
Most likely... yes.

But if you seriously want to test it, prick your skin on the arm with a sterile syringe just barely but not to make it bleed, and dab a wee bit of the cream on the spot and see what happens.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 21:25   Link #5255
brocko

The laughing emoticon at this place <---------

Is it actually flipping someone off whilst laughing or is it suppose to be a sweatdrop or something else rather?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 21:36   Link #5256
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post

Is it actually flipping someone off whilst laughing or is it suppose to be a sweatdrop or something else rather?
It is a nervous laugh.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 23:16   Link #5257
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post

Its a sweatdrop, signifying a nervous or awkward laugh.
Old 2011-12-26, 01:52   Link #5258
kaitok
Inspired Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
Its a sweatdrop, signifying a nervous or awkward laugh.
omg i always thought it was a thumbs-up!!
Old 2011-12-26, 01:56   Link #5259
Masuzu
ヒーロー
*Author

I always thought it was just a hand being held up with no fingers, like the Powerpuff Girls.
Old 2011-12-26, 18:32   Link #5260
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

How can you get that one wrong in an anime forum?
Shame on you guys.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious