AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-12-24, 05:28   Link #421
kiak666

Spoiler for Space:

So Flit is 39 at the 2nd arc, meaning he's 22 when Asem was born. And the guy with red suit is dubbed as Mystery Youth. Makes me even more curious who he is.
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 09:53   Link #422
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post
So Flit is 39 at the 2nd arc, meaning he's 22 when Asem was born. And the guy with red suit is dubbed as Mystery Youth. Makes me even more curious who he is.
He's probably not that mysterious... I imagine they just don't want to spoil us on what happens to the Diva crew in the next few eps.
Old 2011-12-24, 11:09   Link #423
kiak666

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
He's probably not that mysterious... I imagine they just don't want to spoil us on what happens to the Diva crew in the next few eps.
Well, I never did say he's going to be mysterious. That's just how the magazine scan dubbed the character so it makes me even more curious.
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 12:29   Link #424
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The AGE-2 actually reminds me more of the Victory Gundam's core fighter mode than the Waverider when transformed. The Zeta Gundam didn't have the head sticking out like that.

That or the Wing Gundam's Bird Mode.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 16:52   Link #425
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The AGE-2 actually reminds me more of the Victory Gundam's core fighter mode than the Waverider when transformed. The Zeta Gundam didn't have the head sticking out like that.

That or the Wing Gundam's Bird Mode.
More like the Flag

Spoiler:
Old 2011-12-25, 15:31   Link #426
DangerMouse

Quote:
More like the Flag

Spoiler:
Yeah it does look a bit like a Flag in that state.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 21:14   Link #427
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Decided to check this thread out now that I can marathon the show since I have some free time ... I have to say, the information about the Second Generation is already making excited than I was before Generation One aired.

For starter, the design of the AGE-2 is already leagues ahead of the AGE-1. One of the problems I had with the AGE was that it was far too bland looking, without much to distinguish it from other titular MS (and while I can understand the principle behind it, that it's the base body of the Titus and the Spallow(lol), that doesn't make it a good looking MS in anyway ...)

The AGE-2, on the other hand, not only has the neutral look of the base of a suit that has two different wears as the AGE-1, but also manages to look distinct enough and not look like a rehashed design (the Zeta homage is there and 00S2-esque design helps with making the simple transformation even more appealing (even though I prefer the Season 1 designs in almost every case, I thought that the transformation (and overall design) of the Arios was better than the Kyrios) Not really sure if I like the change from the leaked colour scheme, but it's not really that different and I think it helps make the suit look better when transformed, so ...

And oh yeah there is one reason why I like the AGE-2 more
Quote:
More like the Flag

Spoiler:

In any case, this is sort of what I had expected to see when I first learned that Ebikawa was going to handle the designs, so that certainly is a plus.

Other things that make more hopeful and excited ... The generational shift is going to start, which is the main aspect of the show I was looking forward to (and one of the few things thus far that make the show unique) and now that the introductions are out of the way, we might be able to move into better areas to be explored. Also, now we can see how the AGE world had evolved over two decades and a half, the different political/cultural in comparison to the AGE-1 world (being in constant war and all) I wouldn't hold my breath for seeing in-depth changes in the technology, but I do wonder if we are going to see changes in how technology in general is being used as well ...

In general, I do think that the AGE-2 chapter of the story looks to be an improvement thus far from the snippets I've seen. Of course it remains to be seen if the story quality improves as well from the rather below-average-to-average episodes that I keep noticing that the Generation One had been stuck at ever since we got past the first few good episodes.
Old 2011-12-25, 22:00   Link #428
brightman
Ancient Member

Not sure about the story improvements, but the battle scenes will probably be much better, since technology probably won't be as one-sided as now, and the suits will be able to move much better on both sides...

And seeing as how they've use just about every Gundam cliche in the first arc already, I guess we can expect a somewhat more original story, hopefully?
Old 2011-12-26, 02:42   Link #429
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
In any case, this is sort of what I had expected to see when I first learned that Ebikawa was going to handle the designs, so that certainly is a plus.
But Ebikawa didn't design the Flag.

I reckon he was still inspired a bit by them though and you can see a bit of Yanase's Arios connections too, though more on the concept version than the final.
Old 2011-12-26, 06:05   Link #430
casval cehack

Within the 25-year timeskip, what's stopping the UE from developing anti-DODS armor or coating? Assuming AGE-2 is yet another UE counter of the AGE System, the UE of Asem's chapter could very well force a repeat of the first chapter's one-sided battles until AGE-2's debut.
Old 2011-12-26, 06:29   Link #431
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Within the 25-year timeskip, what's stopping the UE from developing anti-DODS armor or coating? Assuming AGE-2 is yet another UE counter of the AGE System, the UE of Asem's chapter could very well force a repeat of the first chapter's one-sided battles until AGE-2's debut.
Unless there's a brief cold war situation during the time skip, I don't expect to see much more one-sided battles unless they want the audience to not take the UE seriously anymore as an enemy. Either that, or the UE is quickly revealed to not be the true enemy or have a different motive that does not necessarily include the destruction of the Federation. And if they take either of these two routes, I hope they tell the story well, otherwise there will probably be people complaining about it.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 07:53   Link #432
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

What if the Diva defects entirely from the federation after episode 15, and tags along with the UE? after they find out it's " goal "
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 07:58   Link #433
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
What if the Diva defects entirely from the federation after episode 15, and tags along with the UE? after they find out it's " goal "
Well, they already did defect in episode 11.
Old 2011-12-26, 08:36   Link #434
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

hence the " entirely "

as completely defecting from the Federation, fighting against them, as it is now they've just went rogue when it comes to the UE, their principlies are still the same as the federations

Last edited by Znozzy; 2011-12-26 at 11:42.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 16:45   Link #435
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Not sure about the story improvements, but the battle scenes will probably be much better, since technology probably won't be as one-sided as now, and the suits will be able to move much better on both sides...
Now that I got caught up with the show ... I don't expect the battles to improve that much ... the staff might be better at handling the individual conflicts better since everyone will be fighting at around the same level (the technology gap like you said wont be huge, even though that's not really a reason for why the battles need to be so one sided) but with large scale battles ... if the battle with the Euba/Zelam was any indication, I don't think that there is going to be much change honestly :/
Quote:
And seeing as how they've use just about every Gundam cliche in the first arc already, I guess we can expect a somewhat more original story, hopefully?
Well, IMO the issue I had wasn't so much that they kept bringing Gundam cliches into the story as much as I felt that the story in general just wasn't impressive (a lot of the time I was pretty apathetic to what was going on, (see the Zalem/Euba ''conflict'', Don's sacrifice, the condition of Colonies slums etc.) because there wasn't much detail placed into them/the rather lackluster way the situations were presented, or that the show was going below it's own standard (the first 3 episodes weren't perfect by any means (having some plot contrivances), but they had more tension and energy than the later episodes ... the battle against the UE in the first 3 episodes had more tension than the ones in 8, 9 and 10 by a mile, Bruzar's sacrifice impacted me far more than Don's did etc.).

I don't know ... my general impression of the Generation One so far is ''Could be better, could be worse'' which to me translates to pure average in terms of story telling, with nothing notable to give it any kind of personality, and just accomplishes it's goal without any glamor (kind of any Level-5 story now that I think about it) ... what I want from AGE-2 is for it to go back to the more tighter approach the first few episodes had, and even if they continue to use clichés, I want to see them use them well in an manner that makes the story exciting ... that's the one area I'm most optimistic about since I know that long runners as a general rule take a bit of time in order to get going (even though I've seen shows that take less time to do so with the generational time skips) so I'm giving the show some leeway right now and just hoping that it gets into shape by the next season ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
But Ebikawa didn't design the Flag.

I reckon he was still inspired a bit by them though and you can see a bit of Yanase's Arios connections too, though more on the concept version than the final.
Ah, sorry, I just realised that I worded it vaguely. What I meant was that the AGE-2 resemblance to the Flag is one of the additional reasons that I liked the design. The point about ''what I expected from Ebikawa'' had to do with the general design of the AGE-2 looking much better than the AGE-1, in line with what I came to expect from him. The points got muddled up while I was writing them tho ...

I do think you are right that he might have been inspired by those designs, which is a pretty good guess since the 00 mecha influence in the AGE mecha design is pretty strong in general. (I'm not sure if that is good or bad as of now ... on one hand I loved the 00 designs and was happy to learn that we could still get some form of new MS, even in a different series ... on the other, maybe it would've been best to not give them this much flavor, since it sort of takes away from the uniqueness each AU Gundam show is meant to have in regard to it's design philosophy (tribute designs notwithstanding, of course))
Old 2011-12-26, 17:47   Link #436
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
hence the " entirely "

as completely defecting from the Federation, fighting against them, as it is now they've just went rogue when it comes to the UE, their principlies are still the same as the federations
I'm not sure if that distinction really matters. Whether they intended it or not, the Diva is now an enemy of the Federation, so they will have to fight against them.

And we can't say their principles are the same as the Federation because we don't really know much about the Federation. The only thing we do know is that the Federation doesn't seem to treat the threat of the UE as seriously as the Diva. In fact, the Federation appears to be more concerned about Grodek than about the UE. So, in this case, their principles are different.
Old 2011-12-26, 18:46   Link #437
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I don't know ... my general impression of the Generation One so far is ''Could be better, could be worse'' which to me translates to pure average in terms of story telling, with nothing notable to give it any kind of personality, and just accomplishes it's goal without any glamor (kind of any Level-5 story now that I think about it) ... what I want from AGE-2 is for it to go back to the more tighter approach the first few episodes had, and even if they continue to use clichés, I want to see them use them well in an manner that makes the story exciting ... that's the one area I'm most optimistic about since I know that long runners as a general rule take a bit of time in order to get going (even though I've seen shows that take less time to do so with the generational time skips) so I'm giving the show some leeway right now and just hoping that it gets into shape by the next season ...
I agree 100%... Right now the story is typical Akihiro Hino/Level 5 shallow blandness, and as long as he remains the main script writer of the series I think its not going to get that much better. Going into the series I had hoped that the other Sunrise writers would balance him out, but his influence just seems to be too much right now.

So at the very least, I am hoping that the introduction of a bit of unpredictability and less of a "typical Gundam storyline" kind of feel would make the plot at least a bit more interesting.
Old 2011-12-29, 19:24   Link #438
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
It's only eleven episodes and I'm not being wowed with the story yet and a lot of the luster I felt in the early episodes seems to have fizzled out by now.

Having said that, Generation concept should kick in soon and Generation 2 does have a strange optimistic feel to it and I'm super excited to see what gets revealed. I'm iching for more politics and maybe more of the past. Plenty of time to turn to turn it around develope the story yet.

I certainly hope the AGE System/armor would be represented more properly next gen. I'm disliking the portrayal so far, where Titus and Spallow have very limited screen time and improperly distributed too (compressed quickly in a few episode rather than spread more out). The real piece of art so far seems to be DODS Rifle considering how widespread it's design adoption will be in Gen 2. Titus and Spallow has had limited uses so far with Normal taking the rest.
Old 2011-12-30, 07:06   Link #439
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

New AGE second generation suits

Spoiler:

Very cool. AGE-2 Double Bullet is not what I was expecting, I might be expecting a heavy long range weapon type wear (Virtue style), but not a light weight long range weapon type. It seems that the Double Bullet wear adds a pair of rifles and shields, and fatter legs (for more boosters?)

G-Bouncer? I'm not really sure if this will be used as the official english translation, but it is hilarious. It seems will be piloted by Wolfe Ver.2, it is similar in design

Zeidora and Kronos seems to be new generation version of Zedas and Baqto respectively.

Last edited by LightningZERO; 2011-12-30 at 07:19.
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 07:25   Link #440
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Sweet, sweet designs!

Hopefully the awesomeness of the design correlates with quality of story-telling.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote