AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-12-28, 17:57   Link #321
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The SOTM did allowed to vote for your own but you were also required to vote for others entries as well, but I can't remember a single time than someone would did it.
This is correct, and the rule was implemented because there were some contestants who did actually do this; I recall one who did it repeatedly. The rule was written after I received several concerns about it. Specifically, the rule is thus:

Quote:
4. You can vote for yourself, but we'd rather you didn't. If you are going to vote for yourself, you must vote for at least one other person.
Personally, I don't look upon voting for yourself in a good light. The point of voting is to highlight the entries you like more than the rest, and if you are submitting an entry, to have it judged by your peers in the voting process.

It doesn't matter if you like or hate your entry. If it is entered, those opinions are no longer your own and cease to matter. What matters is what everyone else thinks about it. I think it is only fair that you should grant that same courtesy to others, and look past your own entry when voting. Entries should rise or fall on their own merits, not what the creator thinks it deserves.

This is all my opinion of course, and it has no influence on this contest.
Old 2011-12-28, 18:44   Link #322
PreSage
Up-rope-ree-ate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
What if I honestly do not like more than 1 or 2? It's like the forced additional votes are filler, or pity votes.
Personally, when I vote I compare the entrants to each other and decide the top 3 within the given group based on my own criteria. Whether I like all three isn't a major factor that influences my decision. But, of course, everyone votes differently. This is just how I vote. But surely saying that the additional votes are "pity votes" is rather...how should I say this...it may hurt the feelings of other competitors. These competitions are opened to sig makers of all levels; it is, therefore, expected that some sigs will technically be better than others but at the same time we should be mindful of the feelings of other entrants and/or their skill levels.

Maybe voting via a secret ballot (PM) will put voters mind at ease?
---------------
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 20:30   Link #323
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
But surely saying that the additional votes are "pity votes" is rather...how should I say this...it may hurt the feelings of other competitors. These competitions are opened to sig makers of all levels; it is, therefore, expected that some sigs will technically be better than others but at the same time we should be mindful of the feelings of other entrants and/or their skill levels.
I do realize that it sounds brusque, but that's what I feel like I'm doing when I have to vote for a certain number of works--all of which I may not consider at the level of what I expect for banners. I want people to vote for my works not because they have to choose a set amount, but because they find them beautiful. I don't want to lower my notions of quality just to conform to what others consider mindful. Doing that doesn't push gfx artists to learn and improve.

And Solace or relentlessflame, I'm curious about the reason for why people are required to vote for exactly three entries. I would greatly appreciate a response from any mod involved with the competition.

My Anime List

ISML
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 20:33   Link #324
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
If there's any complaint that I have with the contest, it is that it forces us to pick no more and no less than the standard 3. Why is this rule in place? What if I honestly do not like more than 1 or 2? It's like the forced additional votes are filler, or pity votes.
I did it this way partly because, by allowing people to vote for themselves, it also forces them to vote for someone other than themselves. Also because, to be honest, I didn't have the time to think through if there might be any statistical implications of null-voting. And lastly because I figured that, with 28 entries, surely it wouldn't be that hard to pick three this time.

Anyway, we'll try this method this time, and next time maybe we can do the voting in a different way. I chose this voting method because I wanted it to be able to be accomplished quickly (and it's basically the same as what we did with the staff last time), since I promised we'd try to have the new banners up on the 1st. Next time, if we have as many entries or more, maybe we can do multiple rounds of voting again, which might also make it a bit easier to pick (28 is a lot to choose from, even if picking three).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Maybe voting via a secret ballot (PM) will put voters mind at ease?
I did think of this too, by the way, but going through all the PMs would be a bit more time-consuming (plus to be honest I wasn't sure just how many people would vote). Maybe it's something that could be tried in the future... but I don't know if there's value/merit in being able to see what other people voted for or not. It's worth discussing anyway.
Old 2011-12-28, 20:35   Link #325
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the quick reply, relentlessflame

My Anime List

ISML
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 21:33   Link #326
Reverzer0
Sleeping

how fun someone love me -- ohh i mean someone voted my entry", i owe you thanks guys",
Old 2011-12-28, 22:02   Link #327
kaitok
Inspired Musician

Good to see you guys are revising the voting systems. So I guess the previous contests didn't have up to 28 entries?

And well, gotta thank people who voted for my entry too =)
kaitok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 22:42   Link #328
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitok View Post
Good to see you guys are revising the voting systems. So I guess the previous contests didn't have up to 28 entries?
Well, previous contests with user-voting weren't done this way. But also, previous contests didn't have such a tight voting window/self-imposed deadline. Other voting methods are possible for future contests, including a return to previous voting methods if people prefer. But we can try a different way, and then at least have the conversation about alternatives. I'm all for at least trying something once to see how it goes.
Old 2011-12-28, 23:14   Link #329
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I guess I should take some responsibility for opening a can of worms...
I have to say I share similar views with Solace. To be honest, I kind of see voting for your own entry as showing that you aren't confident in what you have created. At least, that's my perception.

"The world is full of obvious things which
nobody by any chance ever observes."
-
Sherlock Holmes

"Make sure you do a good job with your life's
footprint."
- Kanna Makino
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 23:31   Link #330
PreSage
Up-rope-ree-ate!

In reality, voters are allowed to vote whomever they want, even themselves. The only difference is that the voting is anonymously done.

I suppose depending on how many participate in the voting aspect, a good way is to inhibit contestants from voting. In that way, you truly are allowing others to judge your work without any internal bias.
---------------
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-31, 00:24   Link #331
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Just as an update, I've closed the voting now, and I hope that we'll announce the results at some point tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for participating and voting!
Old 2011-12-31, 00:52   Link #332
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Ah, and so it comes to an end. I think I can remember about 3 or 4 banners that definitely made the list.
Old 2011-12-31, 05:30   Link #333
Krytonis
I'm back! :)
*Graphic Designer

May I ask how long the list is?
Old 2011-12-31, 23:28   Link #334
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm pleased to announce the winners of the Winter 2011/2012 Contest!

First Place: Marina

Second Place: Patchy

Third Place: Bila

Fourth Place: Haladflire65

Fifth Place: Ichigo-Sora

Sixth Place: ReinZwei

(I said that I would do five winners by points, and a sixth by vote count. ReinZwei's had slightly less points than Ichigo-Sora's entry, but the same amount of total votes if you discard placement, hence six.)

All these winners will see their banners featured at the top of our Forum during the winter months, prioritized by their rankings/votes!

Honourable Mentions:
Vane

kaitok

ahelo

These three banners will be added to the rotation later in the Winter to add a bit of variety and spruce things up.

Thanks to all the contest participants for your hard work and excellent contributions, and we look forward to the next contest!!!

(Did you guess it might happen as we get close to the Spring...? I am wondering that it might be good for our next two contests to be Spring and Summer respectively (so we have all the seasons covered), and then try new themes. What do you think? Also, we had some conversations about the voting process... what would you like to see changed for next time? Any feedback would be appreciated. Happy New Year to all!)
Old 2012-01-01, 00:39   Link #335
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Yay I at least managed to get an honourable mention
Old 2012-01-01, 00:42   Link #336
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Yay I at least managed to get an honourable mention
I really enjoyed your entry, so I'm glad to see you got an honorable mention.
Old 2012-01-01, 00:49   Link #337
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

*shocked* (just arrived and saw the results...). ^^

Oh I made it this time? ^^

Thanks for those who voted for me >_<.... and for those who participated hope you'll also participate next contest so that it can give again some headaches to the voters

Next stop Spring!!! <3 ^^...
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Last edited by Patchy; 2012-01-01 at 01:06. Reason: ...... ^^
Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 01:28   Link #338
Haladflire65
*Artist

Oh wow! Fourth place! Thanks for the votes everyone! And congrats to everyone as well
Old 2012-01-01, 01:33   Link #339
Rennir
Requiem of Dreams
*Graphic Designer

Congrats to everyone that won! Excellent entries all around
Old 2012-01-01, 03:10   Link #340
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Ooh, congrats to everyone who won! This just means I'll have to step up my game for the following competitions.

Tags
banner contest