AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-21, 08:38   Link #41
abc0716

Since I doesn't watch all Anime of this season, I will only state the series that I watch(ing / ed):

Spoiler for On ascending order, from bad to good, and just has TVA on the list:

By the way, I'm still keeping all the series I follow.

Last edited by abc0716; 2011-11-22 at 01:30. Reason: Just watched the latest episode of some series
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 01:19   Link #42
Archon_Wing
Cool Story Bro
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Let's update! And some scores have changed since last time, so I noted the difference.

Name of Series: Chihayafuru
Episodes Watched: 8
Rating: A (+0.3)
Comments:
Chihaya is still going strong. But it's actually Taichi and Arata that have the most intrigue, surprisingly. The new cast member add a new level of interaction to the group, and seeing them all grow up and progress, both in the game, and in life is fascinating to say the least.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Name of Series: Guilty Crown
Episodes Watched: 7
Rating: C- (-1.6)
Comments:
It's been wavering a bit. Although the production values are still strong, the insertion of various sexist elements and possibly remotely racist ones are hardly flattering. I hope this anime will not continue to insult my intelligence. Currently, it's entertaining as laughter, and some of the fanservice is worth staring at due to the great art, but I'm not sure whether to keep it.

Name of Series: Gundam Age
Episodes Watched: 6
Rating: B- (-0.6)
Comments:
We've hit a small bump along the way. The show isn't as exciting as the first 3 episodes, but the inclusion of Wolf should stir things up. It's still in a world building stage, and is still very watchable. Although they may look like kids, they sure act more badass and mature than some other characters around here. At the very least, it's one of the most consistent anime of the season. I'm really just waiting for someone to come back...

Name of Series: Shakugan no Shana III
Rating: C+ (+0.6)
Comments:
The home stretch for Shana shows some of its cards that were hidden up its sleeve. Although the current narrative remains fairly disjointed, it's finding its place. Also a certain event suggests the anime is finally ready to move on. And it did. It seems the only way to go is up. In any case, episode 4 signifies in my mind the resurrection of a franchise that is ready to prove it can still compete today.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Episodes Watched: 9
Rating: B+
Comments:
Likeable characters, and finally some display of incredible badassery expected to be seen from this series were not disappointing at all. There is a lot of censoring going on though.

Name of Series: Mawaru Penguindrum
Episodes Watched: 20
Rating: A
Comments:
Well, that's one hell of a show. I have no idea what's going on, but the comedy is great with the penguins with some issues of emotional bonds with family, friends, and lovers give this anime some greater depth even if it likes to screw around with itself too much. The leads have definitely grown on me.

Name of Series: Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai
Episodes Watched: 4
Rating: C- (-0.6)
Comments:
This anime got lost in the shuffle. The really cheap budget is really getting into it, and I don't really feel like watching this in a weekly base anymore. May come back for Miyako and Yukie.

Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Name of Series: Ben-to
Rating: B-
Comments:
Now that's how to do a fanservice series right! It's also really well animated for whatever reason and shockingly hasn't gotten old. Still funny, though a certain character causes problems.

Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep!

Name of Series: Fate/Zero
Rating: A-
Comments:
Fate/Zero's not going anywhere-- still the juggernaut of the season. It does get rather slow and dialogue heavy in some places, but great fights, and the Rider/Waver, Saber/Irisviel duos are always fun to watch. Caster is a bastard. and the cast is coming alive. Well, I wish the male lead would do more...

Name of Series: Last Exile: Fam
Comments:
Where the hell did this come from? I was doubtful the 2 girls duo would do much, but fortunately they prove themselves quite useful. Fam is quite an enjoyable gung ho kind, willing to charge in, and bite off more than she can chew. Should make for great animation and fights.

Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Comments:
Well, the other good fanservice show is here. Obviously Yozora and Sena's bickering make the show, though the inclusion of Rika, Yukimura and Kobato make for more quirky silliness. The show did hit a rut during the midpoint as some people got quite annoying, and it seemed a few elements were repetitious. But seeing these fools get around is always worth a laugh.

Name of Series: Mirai Nikki
Rating: C+ (+0.3)
Comments:
Rolling nicely along, though the excessive trashiness of some parts is still a turn off. But at least the Yuki/Yuno duo became more interesting, and started to form some kind of chemistry besides their cardboarded selves. This anime revels in being campy, and it succeeds sometimes while falling flat other times. Not too bad, really.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-11-28 at 01:31.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 09:36   Link #43
Brimstone
Banned

I usually wait till the end before taking part in this kind of things, but here's a simplified version of my impression of each series that I've watched at every three episodes interval (give or take).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Persona 4: -> ->

Working: -> ->

C3: -> ->

Fate/Zero: -> ->

Horizon: -> ->

Nurarihyon: -> ->

Mashiro-Iro: -> ->

Shana III: -> ->

Haganai: -> ->

Ben-To: -> ->

Guilty Crown: -> ->
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 12:47   Link #44
KhaL

not seen any yet, still trying to plod along through katanagatari, i will eventually get fate stay thingy and maybe lupin but the rest does not look interesting whatsoever.
KhaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 14:54   Link #45
mecharobot

Bakuman S2: Roughly equal quality as the first season. Has some clumsy scenarios making me wonder what this anime is aiming to do. If it still doesn't manage to put a genuine drive in it, I'll drop it for good after this season. 6/10

Tamayura: Hitotose: I wasn't that impressed by the OVA, but at least I'm liking that this show spents some time on character specific episodes. A minor improvement, but not something I'd consider to be among genre greats. 6/10

Chihayafuru: Not as motivational in overall spirit as I hoped and the josei elements (i.e. drama style) seem to clash with the drive of the show. I still consider this to be the best show of the season. A generous 8/10

Gundam AGE: In terms of production values, this seems like a cheap shot to cash in with the franchise name. It's very slow moving too. The scenario however, does have some potential to evolve. 5/10
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 02:33   Link #46
abc0716

Time to update the rankings .

Spoiler for Descending order, from worse to better, again:

Still keeping all series I watching, anyway...

Last edited by abc0716; 2011-12-07 at 03:26.
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 01:33   Link #47
KanaMinami

What I'm watching this fall: Only listed my top tier and probably treasuring even a disc of this series

Name of Series: Idolmaster
Episodes Watched: 22
Rating: A-
Comments: Really thought I will drop this, but it's quite entertaining to see them grow and improved to stardom, best part of the show is the music. and raising Mikimiki flag..

Name of Series: Penguin Drum
Episodes Watched: 22
Comments: Mix of genre with an unusual taste.. but came out good.. expected to be one of the best this year. Some said it's overhyped.. but I think it deserved it's hyped.

Episodes Watched: 10
Rating: A+
Comments: The most detailed piece when it comes to animation, deserved a high score rank, not just the animation but also the story, slow but does have a thrill or charisma so that you can watch it and wait for it unpatiently..

Name of Series: Last Exile
Rating: A+
Comments: Characters aren't exactly what you called great but the world itself plus the adventure of the characters clearly made this series one of my favorite this particular season. Gonzo style cg is still one of the best in terms of this particular business.

is the fairy this coming season
// Sig by ganbaru
KanaMinami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 22:44   Link #48
webkid94
*Author

#1 - Fate/Zero
Rider is just to GAR for this show. Move aside Archer

#2 - Chihayafuru
I actually like Taichi a bit, wish Arata would show up already.

#3 - Mirai Nikki
Oh hey it's Kaworu Nagisa some cool kid crushing on Yukki. Yuno is already ready for the kill.

#4 - Kimi to Boku (was #5)
The art in this series is great and Chizuru is <3

#5 - UN-GO (was #7)
Inga is pretty cool, Kaishou is so smug...and that Novelist dude sounds like Yuuki Kaji.

#6 - Haganai (was #8)
This show is getting better with more Rika moments and...UNIVERSE! I still prefer Yozora to Sena.

#7 - Gundam AGE (was #6)
Yes the show is finally getting a lot better and darker too. Emily can you go float in space already...preferably without a helmet? Thanks.

#8 - Ben-to (was #4)
Ugh i can't believe we get two back to back episodes of no fighting and one of them is devoted to that bitch Ume. Why must Ai Kayano voice her, right after voicing Menma (Menma -> Ume?????)

#9 - C3 (stayed the same)
The new OP is so addicting, but everything else is kinda bland/generic. I like Yuuki Kaji as Haruaki here than Shu in Guilty Crown, cause he has a personality here

#10 - Persona 4 (same)
Woah Rie Kugimiya voicing a female that isn't a full-on tsundere? Blasphemy! Animation is still QUALITY though...ugh AIC really sucks don't they? At least the music is good.

#11 - Guilty Crown (same)
One episode Shu is cowardly, literally the next episode he's telling people to do "what's right". Oh Production I.G, we need season 2 of Usagi Drop not this shit. Inori is pathetically boring, Gai is occasionally cool and everyone else i can't be bothered to talk about.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 01:36   Link #49
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

Despite one or two turnovers, this whole year has been solid. I'm following so many series (10+), so I'll limit this to the most notable ones.

First the bad:

Rating: 4/10
Comments: Wow, what a pathetic anime. The lead is fail, the enemies are over the top and deliciously evil for no reason apparently, and there's not enough personality spread over the remaining characters to warrant watching this show any longer. And did I mention the lead was bad? I just can't bear to watch any more. Its stupid on top of fail with a side of wtf. Only second time I am dropping an anime. And for a guy that finished both Okami Kakushi AND Umineko, that's saying a lot.

Now for the Good:

Episodes Watched: 11
Rating: 10/10
Comments: Everything about this anime has been superb. And I do mean everything. The characters, story, pacing, music, all of it. I've only given a perfect 10/10 to two other animes before, so listing this at a 10 is also really saying something for this anime. Obviously how it ends will affect the final score, but at this rate, it is on pace to be the 3rd anime I give a perfect score too. If you are not watching this, you are definitely missing out. Last episode, Rider finally revealed his ultimate noble phantasm, and that is what cemented this current score. Watch it! GOGOGO!

Rating: 7
Comments: This anime started out real slow, but has since picked up. We still don't fully understand what the hell Yuji is thinking, but everything else has finally reached a decent level of watchability. Rebecca Reed is fun to watch, and we get a war. And now, Shana has become even more powerful than ever. More than enough to hold my interest and see where this goes.

Name of Series: Boku Ha Tomodachi Ga Sukunai
Comments: It's the Player Haters Club, in anime. Enough said.

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Name of Series: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Comments: My first major delve into Gundam, and it's an interesting series to boot that hits enough of the right chords: good characters, believable motivations, a menacing enemy, good action, etc. I feel like the Gundam itself is like the Borg from Star Trek. I mean, they just keep adapting it on the fly to beat whatever enemy it comes across. But This is a minor issue with me, so this anime is still very good.

And lastly:

Name of Series: Last Exile ~Fam, The Silver Wing
Rating: 8
Comments: Again, this is my first go into the Last Exile franchise, but this is a very good anime. It great at putting individual faces on a grand scale conflict, and making us invested into them. Also, a 15 year old girl jacking the enemy's warships one by one to help support a subjugated people. Thats just epic. Overall, a very fine anime.
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
weaponX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 07:36   Link #50
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Autumn had some really good shows, a lot interesting to watch, but also some of the worst anime, that I really wonder why anyone would bother to sub them, let alone have fanatical fanbases.

Mawaru Pingu-drum: excellent art, atmosphere, story development, and interesting characters... unfortunately though very touchy posters in the local threads

Fate/Zero (11/24): pretty much everything I expected from Gen + Type-Moon + UFOTable, TV broadcast limits it a little, but better than having to wait half a year for the DVD.

C3: Except from falling in love with Kirika, it had the best animation (both OPs and insane action scenes), blood, gore, and fan-service. Art was also very creative and improved on the more generic drawing from the novel... BUT plot-wise it was mediocre, better than index, shana, and all those crap, but still too juvenile.

Working'!! (12/13): As the first season, interesting to watch, the humour didn't get dry, and it manage to develop a little most of the characters. Extra points at putting away from the spotlight the Mahiru/Souta pairing which was the boring part of the first season.

Ben-Tou (11/12): Despite the stupid-sounding concept, they pulled out a really funny show, with excellent fights and very interesting, as well as controversial cast.

Mirai Nikki (11/24): For the most part improved on the manga, still as its source can be by any definition called good, but nonetheless it is funny to watch for the ridiculous situations.

Haganai: After F/Z and P4, this was the show that I anticipated the most, but it failed in almost everything, art, animation, storytelling... and near the end even Kobato was not enough to save it

Persona 4 (12/24): Having played the game, I can say that the adaption is too loyal, plus the production is bad, a lot of choices were made that just ruin the whole experience.

Shinryaku!? Ika musume (7/12): A lit bit dryer than the first season, but still funny enough to watch.

iM@S: Less interesting than Xenoglossia, I guess if one isn't into the game or throw-away pop, it's hard to appreciate it... anyway, Chihaya/Haruka arc were decent though, and definitely it was better than K-On!

Shana FINAL (2/12): Horrible start, out of the deepest abyss called S2 and nothing like the 2nd OVA arc.

Maji de Watashi ni Koi shinasai!! (finished): up until the plot kicked in, it was so bad that made it good; but the main plot was ranging from stupid to infuriating... avoid at all costs!

Guilty Crown (11/22): But there can be something worse than MajiKoi this season. GC managed to filtered everything bad about Code Geass (not that it had many good to begin with), and added an even nicer wrapping, bumped the fan-service, and spent 10 episodes where absolutely nothing happened.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon (12/26): This is pretty much like index Naruto with fan-service, endless, yet pointless exposition, irrelevant action, mixed in with buttshots, groping, etc. And if that's not enough to persuade everyone to check this abomination out, the protagonist is a cross between a jerk and a joke... that his goal in life is to persuade a soulless doll to love him.

dropped
---------
Tamayura~WHATEVER (after 0.1 episodes): Borefest
Un-Go (after 1 episode): Classic NoitaminA boredom
Mashiro-iro Symphony (after 2 episode): Another harmless date-sim
Maken-ki (after 3 episode): Ugly art would be a compliment
Chihayafuru (after 4 episode): Not bad for shoujo/jousei, but still too girlish

Last edited by Malkuth; 2011-12-25 at 02:19.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 15:18   Link #51
Flower
Bibliotecha Rosa Atra....

Okay - since the season is winding up here I thought it would be good to re-visit the thread with an overall evaluation.

Here are my impressions at the beginning of the season:
Spoiler for Early Season Impressions ... Long Post:

Here are my impressions at mid-season:
Spoiler for Mid-Season Impressions ... another Long Post:

And now final impressions.

A List [Those I avidly followed]

Tamayura Hitotose (absolute favorite of the season).
The iDOLM@STER (continued "stupendousness"! - carryover from last season).

B List [Those I am following, but not avidly]

Mashiro-iro Symphony (excellent, solid adaptation that is extremely enjoyable - almost, almost made it to the A List).
Morita-san wa Makuchi S2 (much more interesting now that it has new material - enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would).
Chihayafuru (biggest surprise of the season for me).
Towa no Quon (reminds me of the X-men back in the early 80's for some reason)
Busou Shinku: Moon Angel (wish more eps would show up) - carryover from last season.

C List [Those I am still undecided whether or not to commit to following]

C3 Cube x Cursed x Curious (reminds me of the good and bad of "Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka" - this is prolly my "guilty pleasure" of the season ... not sure why I like it as much as I do, but I do).

D List [Those I have tried and dropped - no order of preference in this section btw]

- Ben-To (that violence on the main male protagonist was too much to stomach).
- Un-Go (lead male character gave a agonizingly pretentious "manifesto" at the end of ep 2 that was SO bad I dropped it).
- Maken-ki (plain awful - nuff said).
- Guilty Crown (kinda clumsily executed with gorgeous visuals and music, but not enough to hold my interest).
- Boku wa Tomodachi (wish that there was less focus on fanservice and stupid jokes and more on character development ... feel bad for Yozora, but she is just plain mean when it comes down to it).
- Copihan (is this even airing anymore? ... still not sure what it is about after 5 eps, so dropped).
- Working 2 (not bad, but not enough to move me to actively follow it).
- Mirai Nikki (dropped not b/c of anything bad - I read the manga and am short on time).
- Ika Musume 2 (was not really a fan of S1, it's ok, but for me only ok).

Overall, the biggest surprise of the season for me still remains Mashiro-Iro Symphony.

To be honest I thought that the season was a disappointment. I dropped a LOT of shows.
Old 2011-12-26, 00:11   Link #52
teja208
Critical fanboy

Seeing that Winter is drawing closer, it's about time to record my impression for this autumn. I'm not fond of number rating system as the rate is subjective. This is the first time doing season review so here goes nothing.

Fall 2011 Series Impression

Fate Zero: Having watched the sequel, this one is straight A for me in terms of the visuals and character depth thanks to Ufo and Gen. Watch 3 episodes at a time for maximum enjoyment.

Boku Tomo Haganai: When I first watch this, I expect some comedy mix with serious drama about being rejected by society and characters with issues, but turns out to be pure comedy show most of the time. In short, it turns out less serious than I thought. Characters were given unique features which enables them standout form most harem series.

Ben-to: This happens to be the opposite of Haganai series where I first expected nothing but full comedy and action show, but seems to have some hint of seriousness when regarding characters trying to uphold the wolf’s honors. In short, it turns out more serious than I thought. Also, rivalry between Pro-Ume and Anti-Ume is probably more intense than people fighting for half-price bento so better note to self not to get in their way.

Working’!!: This one is as good as the first season with some hit or miss depending on characters and situations. But it has a very unique sets of character personalities overall.

Last Exile – Fam: I usually prefer series without school setting which doesn’t involve any macha. This one fits the bill, fortunately. Seems Genzo studio has made its official return for me at least. Last season Cat-pie (joking) doesn’t fit my taste. Good thing this series will continue into the winter.

Tamayura: Very pleasant atmosphere even for a SoL series. A very relaxing series.

Series dropped or under consideration

Phi Brain: After 5 episodes, decide to drop due to villain-of-the-episode format. Never been a fan of this type of plot. Supporting characters are almost insignificant to the story plot and their dynamic with the main character are weak.

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!: Follow this up till episode 4 but latter drop due to hearing many VN fans complaining about not following to sources material, seems getting even worse as the series goes on as I heard that VN plot is far better in developing characters. Is it true?

Shana 3: JC Staff seems to put more effort this time around, but never been a fan of this series. Quite impress hearing this series is adapted till the very end, but still have no plan to follow. Too much effort to catch up from season one.

Guilty Crown: Haven’t pick up yet, due to hearing the lots of criticism in the first few episode, may pick up when thing gets better. From what various blogs and forums said, episode 9 and 10 maybe a sign of a turning point, will wait two more episodes before deciding whether it is worth to follow.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon: This one seems interesting, but people who watched seems to comment about first three episodes being too complicate but gets better after up to the end. Plan to marathon the series in winter along with Guilty Crown.

UN-GO: Another one to marathon while waiting for winter series to pile up.

Final Thoughts:
This season is quite ok with nice balance of action/comedy anime. Still like summer better with only Steins;Gate and Yuru Yuri alone. Next season seems to be more comedy focus than this one, I have no problem with that, but for those who dislike comedic aspects of anime better brace themselves.

Last edited by teja208; 2011-12-26 at 01:08.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 21:24   Link #53
Archon_Wing
Cool Story Bro
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Updated for the end, ugh I forgot about Bento and last exile

Name of Series: Chihayafuru
Episodes Watched: 12
Rating: A (+0.3)
Comments:
Cast is growing, though I wish for more development on Chihaya's part. We're entering Shounen improvement mode, which isn't a bad thing

Rating: D+
Comments:
gg no re

Status (Keep/drop/stall): Drop

Name of Series: Gundam Age
Comments:
Well, Gundam Age has gotten more intresting as the explore more of the UE, and Yurin of course... right? And Emily has found her place finally, so it's looking like quite positive for me.

Episodes Watched: 12
Rating: B- (+0.3)
Comments:
The series is turning into everything it should have been in the first place. Directing and fight choreography is still sloppy in places, but I feel like we are moving into something that will be worth it. We'll also be closing and resolving character arcs, and starting character growth. Very encouraging

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Comments:
Same as usual, though that censorship....

Name of Series: Mawaru Penguindrum
Episodes Watched: 24
Comments:
Comedy turned romance with serious emotional attachment. Plot was too convoluted, but very enjoyable throughout. This is a great cast, and they really put forth a let of effort in the presentation. Ikuhara has my respect
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Done

Name of Series: Ben-to
Comments:
Wow, that bitch Ume killed the series for me. Will continue after I catch up on other stuffs

Episodes Watched: 13
Rating: B+ (-0.3)
Comments:
Strong stuff as usual, but that split cour really left a somewhat awkward part to leave off. Did they really have dialogue heavy episodes and loli Rin to end this on? On the other hand, loli Rin and Rider/waver/caster dialogue is not a bad thing to say the least. Pretty sure this will explode when it comes back

Name of Series: Last Exile: Fam
Comments:
Oops...will need to catchup

Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Episodes Watched: 13
Rating: C+ (-0.3)
Comments:
Meh, started out good but fell apart due to them trying to substitute fanservice for comedy. And the animation quality dropped so the fanservice was subpar. At least, Rika is funny and Sena got a few points. Yozora they sorta just failed on, trying to get us to sympathize with her too late kinda like Kirino in Oreimo. But at least Yozora is cooler...

Status (Keep/drop/stall): Done

Name of Series: Mirai Nikki
Rating: C (-0.3)
Comments:
I really can't remember anything... Yuno's still trying to jump on Yuki's cock, and he's still scared or something. I got enough lulz from this series but I don't really feel like keeping up

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-01-03 at 04:36.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote