AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2012-01-02, 06:47   Link #1
Hero-san

Nyaa no longer safe?

I only download my anime from nyaa but as of yesterday my ISP turned me off. I called them and they said I was suspended for downloading bleach. Is nyaa torrents no longer safe? I feel I need to go back to streaming/upload sites like rapidshare for anime now. I know I can get a VPN but I don't have the extra cash as the economy is not being nice to me. Has anyone else received some kind of notice for downloading anime yet? My ISP is new wave communications and thats the only option unless I want dsl. I rather not have dsl.
Old 2012-01-02, 17:11   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Public trackers are never safe. And I would not trust private ones either for that matter.
Nyaa is just as exposed, as any of the major trackers.
The only thing "safe" about nyaa is/was the rather obscure type of content.

But the fact, that your ISP was logging the discrete content of your downloads and not just the fact, that you were using P2P (like many do) is rather disturbing. I would not want to stay at such an ISP.
If they can see that you are downloading Bleach, they can and do also peak into any other of your unencrypted data and may be logging your http sessions too...
Another possibility is, that they got a DMCA notice against your ip, because it was sharing Bleach. If you are in the US, they would be required to tell you this, I think? It depends on where you live.
Dhomochevsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 17:28   Link #3
Key Board
Donut

torrent sites are CRAWLING with web spiders nowadays

which is why I rarely bother with torrents

learn to use IRC, Share or Perfect Dark

better yet, learn Japanese and watch from streaming sites

-- Mushoku Tensei. on the dangers of osananajimi attachment
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 22:45   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
torrent sites are CRAWLING with web spiders nowadays

which is why I rarely bother with torrents

learn to use IRC, Share or Perfect Dark

better yet, learn Japanese and watch from streaming sites
i haven't been around irc in a long time. what net and channel is good place to go?
Old 2012-01-03, 01:10   Link #5
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero-san View Post
My ISP is new wave communications and thats the only option unless I want dsl. I rather not have dsl.
I'm afraid this ISP is working with an IP-enforcing firm. One example of a DMCA notice:
http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca5...oticeID=142985

The only hope you have is to peruse Chilling Effects to find a way to resolve your problem.
Old 2012-01-03, 01:18   Link #6
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Pfft. Whose bright idea was DMCA again? Good thing I live in the pirate capital of the world :3
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 02:27   Link #7
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Pfft. Whose bright idea was DMCA again? Good thing I live in the pirate capital of the world :3
Don't jinx it.
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 03:03   Link #8
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
What're links to yesasia doing on that notice? . Both links are for imported manga from Japan; I think someone at Funimation needs to double-check their requests .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 03:39   Link #9
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Most likely they aren't even single-checked. Often it's some kind of bot sending them out.
Old 2012-01-03, 04:54   Link #10
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i haven't been around irc in a long time. what net and channel is good place to go?
server irc.rizon.net and channel #news is a good place to go to
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 10:24   Link #11
Athena
The Power of One

Is using a proxy safe, BTW?
Old 2012-01-03, 11:42   Link #12
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It depends on your proxy.
Obviously using a proxy will make that proxy the target of the DMCA. Then how does your proxy handle that?
Maybe it is in a place, where US legislation (or equivalent copyright legislation) can't touch it, then it does not care.
If it is not safe, then did it log your ip and session data? If it did, it might offer them when hit by a legal threat, so as to go free. At that point your proxy retroactively stops being one and you are in trouble again.
But I believe this is more likely to happen when commiting real crime online (ie you're one of those anonymous DDOS guys), not for simple copyright infractions. The people sending out these mass DMCAs will most likely not try to resolve proxys.

Note btw. that he was most likely not blocked for downloading Bleach, but for sharing it, because that is the legal base of the DMCA: you are distributing material, that you don't have the copyright to.
That is why I myself would prefere IRC too. It is still not legal to download, but if I don't upload at the same time, those legal tools forged to fight illegal distribution can't hit me.
Old 2012-01-03, 12:45   Link #13
Moemura
Natsuzora

You could try using Peer Block. I have only recently started using it. I never have had any problems with anime torrents without Peer Block though. I started using because it because of the site linked to in this article. http://lifehacker.com/5867161/this-w...en-downloading

You can get Peer Block here.
http://www.peerblock.com/
Old 2012-01-03, 15:35   Link #14
Athena
The Power of One

Wait, then direct download is safe...is it?
Old 2012-01-03, 17:09   Link #15
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Pretty much.
At least it is one of the safest options.

The thing is if you upload, as in p2p, there is always the argument you uploaded to the internet; there are millions of people on the internet, so you have caused a billion $ of damage by sharing a movie for half a day.
Old 2012-01-03, 18:50   Link #16
Athena
The Power of One

Sigh...I think I prefer watching anime on streaming websites. Safest way, I think.
Old 2012-01-04, 02:30   Link #17
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemura View Post
You could try using Peer Block.
Sounds useful. Might check it out. The two times I visited that site in the Lifehacker article you linked (one visit I did was last year), they had nothing on me though. Even though I almost exclusively used only torrents for my anime.
Old 2012-01-04, 03:51   Link #18
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

It's already been said... but public torrents aren't safe if you don't want to get caught downloading anything.

If PeerBlock works like similar software, it'll just block suspect IPs from connecting to your BT client. The tracker (nyaa.eu in this case) will still broadcast your IP to the world and there is nothing you can do to stop that.

If I may make another suggestion... use Newsgroups/Usenet. This works similar to a direct download (but it's a little bit more involved), so the only party knows what you're downloading is the one that operates the server you are downloading from (the newsgroup provider) and most providers don't keep download logs.

As for a newsgroup client, I recommend SABnzbd . It works through your browser (use YouTube or other site if you need a tutorial for setting it up). To find downloads, see www.fanzub.com

The only real downside is that a good quality newsgroup provider is obviously not free. But there are that accept PayPal (in case you don't have a creditcard) and where subscriptions are optional like www.news.astraweb.com (try a 25GB for $10 account for starters, if you don't like it not much money is lost).

One major advantage of newsgroups over normal direct downloads is that while there are many providers, they all provide the same content. So one account gives access to all, unlike Rapidshare/Hotfile/Megaupload where you'd need a paid account with a bunch of them if you want to download fast and without delays.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 07:05   Link #19
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
My friend, if that TPP pact goes up, even we here in SEA may be screwed....
Old 2012-01-04, 10:48   Link #20
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Alternatively, if you're tech-savvy, you can consider buying tunnel endpoints in countries which don't care (e.g. Sweden).

http://www.prq.se/?p=tunnel&intl=1

It essentially means that your public IP will look like a swedish one. It's like a proxy, but for everything. The upside is that you're REALLY pretty safe this way, since the ISP providing this service won't follow up on any notices and will not keep logs.

Last edited by Mentar; 2012-01-04 at 11:13.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote