AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-24, 16:15   Link #1
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Arrow Looking for an anime with physically flawed characters.

Okay this time I'm not just looking for an anime with characters that have personality flaws or personal defects. What I'm looking for goes a little further. I'm looking for an anime where the main characters or some important supporting characters have defining injuries that actually limit them in what they do. So an example of what I'm not looking for: the power to see through the bad guys' disguises (no matter how horrible this me be to the character that does it). A borderline example is FMA's Edward's prosthetic limbs are better than his real limbs in some ways but a lot less versatile (in terms of external conditions they can bare and a lot heavier), if done right it can be what I'm looking for but most similar things are not. What I'm really looking for is something like: Shin Angyo Onshi where the main character has a demon induced case of asthma or something like Welcome to the NHK where all of the main characters have some kind of personality-disorder.

You know maybe someone who misses one eye and repeatedly get's screwed over for not being able to see depth or a severely autistic main character that freaks-out whenever something changes in his life or someone who has to compulsory do A every time he does B.

As long as it causes strife and or is inconvenient it's all okay.

Sorry for being a little vague but does something come to mind?
Old 2011-01-24, 17:00   Link #2
kitten320

As far as I understood it can be any genre?

Hakuouki, one of the characters gets ill and has taberculois which limits him a lot.

Inuyasha, Miroku has a black hole in his hand which keeps growing and eventually wi;ll swallow him.

Kanon 2006, almost each character has something wrong. One of them has cancer.

Rozen Maiden, one of the dolls is missing some parts and is trying to hide it and look perfect with all her might.

Working! one of the girls is extremly scared of guys and keeps banging them all the time.

Not all shows might fit to what you want but maybe something will catch your eye.
Old 2011-01-24, 17:22   Link #3
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Claymore, maybe? The warriors are slowly turning into monsters due to the nature of their power source. What's more, their bodies are damaged in some way (unseen to us), which makes them look disgusting when they are naked.
Old 2011-01-24, 18:41   Link #4
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
As far as I understood it can be any genre?

Kanon 2006, almost each character has something wrong. One of them has cancer.
I'll second Kanon, and similarly Clannad , and Air definitely fits like Kanon does.

I'd highly recommend Canaan, should fit, for the "villains"[and some of the side characters] mostly as they gained their powers at a great physical cost due to a virus that effected them physically in someway.
Spoiler for Spoiler/For Example:

Also Bakemongatari each of the characters has a rather large flaw physically caused by something, though the series is about resolving them, but that doesn't mean all traces of it can cleared up in each case.
Old 2011-01-24, 19:20   Link #5
InitialGT

try cowboy bebop if you haven't seen that.

also try speed grapher for deformities
Old 2011-01-25, 08:23   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In Shion no Ou, a mute young girl of thirteen or so strives to become a professional Shougi ("Japanese chess") player. We do hear her thoughts voiced during the show, but she communicates with paper-and-pencil or gestures.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-01-25 at 12:58. Reason: Added donut image
Old 2011-01-25, 08:32   Link #7
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

Repelsteeltju, I'd recommend Howl's Moving Castle. It's a Ghibli film directed by Miyazaki Hayao. It features a young woman who is transformed by a magic curse into an elderly woman. While you may not view it as a disability, she does have to cope with a frail and senile body.

There's also Paprika. One of the main characters is an terribly obese man who has trouble fitting in elevators and has to eat a lot to concentrate, because he's also a genius inventor.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Space Dandy
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-25 at 11:59. Reason: Removed quote!
Old 2011-01-25, 08:39   Link #8
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

2nding Shion no Ou, I actually going to suggest it coming to this thread, but looks like sensei have already suggested it

At the end of season 1 of Gundam 00, one of the main char was hit and lost one of his eye. But it comes at pretty late stage.. Oh, the other main char have a personality disorder (dual personality) and one of the pilot later on use prosthetic/cybernatic hand

If you wanted manga title, then I suggest Until Death Do Us Part where the main guy is blind.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2011-01-25, 10:30   Link #9
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
The guy in berserk has only one arm. just to be on-topic for awhile...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-25 at 12:01. Reason: Just drop it already.
Old 2011-01-25, 12:02   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I would like to remind everydody that this is a suggestion thread. Please focus on that while posting in this section.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-25 at 12:18.
Old 2011-01-25, 14:31   Link #11
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Shion no Ou, Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika, Speed Grapher look great. The rest I have either seen already or is not what I'm looking for, though I'm not sure about AIR and Kanon (2006).

Keep-up giving good suggestions!
Old 2012-01-10, 15:48   Link #12
FireChick

Oh! I know one!

Momoko: Kaeru no Uta ga Kikoeru yo it's an anime about a boy whose sister is physically and mentally handicapped. Though it's criminally underrated and unsubbed, though PM me if you want to know where it is.
Old 2012-01-10, 16:00   Link #13
Haak
F**k my life...

Dude, the request is almost an entire year old...
Closed Thread