AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Aquarion Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-10, 13:19   Link #181
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Is Kawamori writing this as well? I don't recall.
Yes he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
This system was obviously going to backfire at them, but they were aware of that. They didn't have a choice. You are forgetting the fact that they were desperate to keep them away no matter what, even if they would have to construct an giant wall.
None of which makes it any less ridiculous. (in fact everything you say here only makes it moreso) Instead of putting all that effort into something that will backfire, they should have been working on making male/female cooperation/combining work. When the commanders are arguing "males are superior to females/females are superior to males" in the middle of combat against a powerful enemy, then they've already completely and utterly failed.

Quote:
That's because in Vandread what they learn about the opposite sex is stupid and all just a bunch of lies. They teach women are monsters that will eat you or something like that. And also, the commander of the ship was from the first generation (she lived on the time guys/girls lived in the Earth) so she didn't have that concept about men on her mind. So she didn't fear that Hibiki would gain more power if together with girls, she was actually HOPING for it.
And none of the characters in Aquarion Evol have some kind of falsified concept or urban legends about the other gender being monsters, barbaric, or whatever. Yet they still failed where Vandread succeeded.
Your points here are only hurting your argument; in Vandread they have all those false conceptions while only one person knows the truth. In Aquarion Evol there are no false conceptions or whatnot, which should make things easier, yet they end up faring worse than in Vandread.

Quote:
Here they are all afraid of it, they prefer to fight off the Abductors with little strength and hope to survive instead of reaching a power that might run out of control.
Which is completely and utterly pointless if they can't fight off the Abductors anyway. And by burying their heaads in the sand, they risk the even greater danger of the power of Aquarion Evol suddenly breaking out like it did here and losing control of it completely because its pilots were unprepared to control it. Far better to learn how to use something then to pretend you can just bury and forget it, then have it come back even more dangerous.
__________________
Shinji103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 13:22   Link #182
leokiko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Well, everything should be explained more later on, since I'm argumenting here with almost no facts to back me up. There must be a higher reason to all of this absurdity.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 13:23   Link #183
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Anybody else think Rena would show up?

Since she is hinted to be a vampire.

It would be a nice contrast to Gen Fudo.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 14:48   Link #184
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Awesome episode!
Loved watching every minute od it.
Romance, mecha, fights & saving the world - amazing.
Will be watching this one!
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 14:57   Link #185
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I think there is too much fixation over the fact males and females are separated. It is very likely a plot point to be explained later. In fact, I got a personal hypothesis that could explain why things came to be that way.
Spoiler for hypothesis:
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 15:13   Link #186
xizro345
King's Justice
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I think there is too much fixation over the fact males and females are separated. It is very likely a plot point to be explained later.
I'd like to say the same, but the original had several plot points never explained, so who really knows...
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 16:25   Link #187
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Age: 25
I don't quite know what to make of this yet, production value is good, VA was pretty good, but something seems off about this show. btw I never got around to finishing the first one, did it eventually get it's s**t together?
__________________
They say you don't grow up
You just grow old,
It's safe to say I haven't done both.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 17:18   Link #188
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I think there is too much fixation over the fact males and females are separated. It is very likely a plot point to be explained later. In fact, I got a personal hypothesis that could explain why things came to be that way.
Spoiler for hypothesis:
Mugen Punch which this attack is emulating reached the moon not shatter it.

Its been 12,000 years we don't know what happened in between.

The only thing we know is that Neo DEAVA is keeping the truth about Aquarion's history a secret.

There was a possibility of misuse of Assault Aquarions by the New UN military. Assault Aquarions were finished after mutilating a Shadow Angel child that was captured. Assault Vectors modified element pilots and artificial pilots were mere puppets.

Indeed those Abductor humanoid mecha seems to work on a similar principle to artificial pilots.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 18:15   Link #189
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Anybody else think Rena would show up?
The character list on the official site has a girl who looks suspiciously like a moe-fied Rena and is described as a "mysterious pretty girl"...

As for the other characters, I think Mikono and Zessica will make up Celiane (Zessica definitely gives me Sylvie vibes), unless Reika is also involved somehow, in which case Mikono = Reika is another possibility. What I wonder about is how Touma is going to be involved...

Re: male/female segregation, I also think some people are taking it too seriously. The entire point is, IMO, that the segregation is stupid, which is why it doesn't work; and once Gen makes his way into the HQ I bet he'll lecture everyone on how Male and Female belong together because their union wields the Ultimate Power of Creation and so on and so forth. Then the girls' boss and the boys' boss go off and have sex, or something.

And seriously, guys. The HQ has pink and blue lighting over female and male parts. The girls' Vectors are mauve, the boys' are blue. There are chastity stones. This is awesome. 8D

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-01-10 at 18:25.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 18:25   Link #190
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I just watched the first two episodes and I'm so damn excited. I was a bit wary about it before, due to the setting and the characters, and even while watching the first ep I was a bit "meh..." and then Amata went "SOUSEI GATTAI" and I've been wearing the stupidest grin on my face ever since.
lol me too In fact I am so gassed I am going to watch the season one at the same time.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I completely get preventing the combining of Aquarion Evol because the Aquarion has the power of the gods and could bring destruction if used improperly, but they don't need to have such ridiculous segregation rules to prevent it. A giant wall to seperate the genders? Arguing and lack of cooperation between the males and females? Even the heads of the two sections were at odds with each other in the middle of combat, in the command center. This has clearly gone far beyond segregation out of necessity and into segregation out of sexist beliefs, and based on the terrible performance against Kagura displayed this episode, they clearly could do without that.
When Hibiki and the others joined the Nirvana crew in Vandread, they were allowed to mingle with the rest of the crew despite the fact the two genders were supposed to be actual enemies and had no idea they used to be the same culture. Here, there's none of that enemy setup, yet there's a giant freaking wall between them. Great. >.>
And nerfing your own weapons and making them far too weak to do what they were intended to do is extremely counter-productive. Heck, they were getting utterly thrashed even when they formed the Aquarion.

Still doesn't excuse the terrible and horrid animation. >.>

Oh trust me, you're not the only one. I may have said that I dont like her damsel in distress act, but otherwise she's still the most attractive female character looks- and personality-wise, and there's no doubt she's going to get over her weakness eventually. It's just a question of when.

It wouldn't be so bad really (I liked Vandread and really didn't have a problem with the personal conflict between the genders at all), but Aquarion takes it quite a bit further into "Oh my god, my brain is bleeding!" territory. (segregation walls, religious nonsense, etc.)

That's actually a good point.
My theory is the gender separation occurred because of the events in the OVA and not the actual series. The love between Apollonius and Celiane was too great and it's powers were could be destructive. So Aquarion was split into three parts, and you needed three vectors. I think there was a separation of genders to prevent something like that from occurring ever again. I just believe that it was decided so long ago, no one actually remembers why gender separation was necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I forgot to say this, but Zessica is HOT =03! I hope to see A LOT more of her, even if Amata's personality is fail(thus the interaction prob won't be as great, since he's lame).


I think that's the easiest conclusion to make. I can agree to that theory, but after some thinking, I felt that maybe that is not the case. In the original series, the reincarnated chars weren't carbon copies of their former selves; rather, it was a separate persona that slowly integrated into their normal selves. It's quite possible that Kagura is a clone, hence why he has similar behavior patterns to Apollo. I'm not saying it's impossible to be exactly like the previous incarnation, but given that Apollo and Sylvia were quite a ways different than Apollonius and Celiane, I feel that this is the case.


This series showcases a nearly all-new cast, but it's possible that some of the main chars are incarnations of the main chars in the original(hence why people say Kagura(EVOL) is very much like Apollo(orig Aquarion). Even so, I think it won't be so much that you'll be lost, as they may utilize flashbacks for any relevant details from the original. I'd say watch EVOL AND the original back to back, one ep at a time, if you don't have the time. The original was quite the enjoyable series, and, as 1st/2nd eps go, I think the original was better.

I don't think that Kagura is a clone. In the original series, Sylvia was an aggressive fighter/warrior woman but Sirus was not. Sure he was proud and a warrior but his personality wasn't like Sylvia's at all.

I think that it's the same for Amata and Kagaura. Amata's personality is like Apollonius (what we've seen of him in OAV) after he fell in love with Celiane and Kagura is like Apollonius before he met and loved Celiane. But I believe BOTH of them are actually one person
Lord of Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 19:43   Link #191
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
My theory is the gender separation occurred because of the events in the OVA and not the actual series. The love between Apollonius and Celiane was too great and it's powers were could be destructive. So Aquarion was split into three parts, and you needed three vectors. I think there was a separation of genders to prevent something like that from occurring ever again. I just believe that it was decided so long ago, no one actually remembers why gender separation was necessary
That actually makes a lot of sense, though I think they're quite aware of the reasons: the boss and Metal Chin Guy kept talking about the forbidden powers of gods and whatnot. (I do hope, though, that this new series is not based on the OVAs... I really never cared for those.)

As for the characters, my theory so far is:
Kagura + Amata = Apollonius
Mikono + Zessica = Celiane
And apparently Mykage aka Touma will awaken in the next episode or so, and then we'll see what he's after this time. (Aquarion Evol, probably... that, or Amata.)

Btw I just realized I really like the ending song, it's so deliciously melodramatic. I wonder when the full version comes out...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 20:42   Link #192
stardrago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I am not sure if anyone has forgotten but when the original Aquarion was last seen, its pilots were Apollo, Sirius, and Toma; all males. I wonder if the current DEAVA doesn't realize that the reincarnated Apollonius was needed to form the Sol Aquarion and with Amata having foreshadowing as his soul may be part of Apollo/Apollonius, if he forms Aquarion Evol with just the males vectors in the upcoming episodes I wonder what DEAVA will do or will that Gen Fudou lookalike will come to his rescue/safety?
stardrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 00:23   Link #193
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
it will be a total fanservice if the original Aquarion suddenly appeared tags along with the Aquarion Evol during the fight ,then i will squeal like a total fanboy, just like the Kotetsu Jeeg series where the old Jeeg tags along with the new one, double Jeegs
__________________
GUNDAM SENTINEL
Ice Queen Sumeragi is our friend!!!
support our empire!!!
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 01:46   Link #194
stardrago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I'm not sure if anyone has heard but it seems that the first volume of Aquarion Evol it will have not only episodes 1 and 2 that was shown during broadcast but as well as unaired cuts and it seems that on amazon they will sell or shipped on April 25 in Japan.
stardrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 09:01   Link #195
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
And none of the characters in Aquarion Evol have some kind of falsified concept or urban legends about the other gender being monsters, barbaric, or whatever. Yet they still failed where Vandread succeeded.
Your points here are only hurting your argument; in Vandread they have all those false conceptions while only one person knows the truth. In Aquarion Evol there are no false conceptions or whatnot, which should make things easier, yet they end up faring worse than in Vandread.
Not to mention that the town they're in is not segregated at all! Hell, when Amata and Mikono are riding the boat, there're couples everywhere ! It really makes no sense! However, upon 2nd inspection, I see it could be possible that only a select few favor the separation of the genders(like when the ponytail girl was clapping in the church, the other girls looked displeased).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
As for the characters, my theory so far is:
Kagura + Amata = Apollonius
Mikono + Zessica = Celiane
And apparently Mykage aka Touma will awaken in the next episode or so, and then we'll see what he's after this time. (Aquarion Evol, probably... that, or Amata.)
Wouldn't Cayenne be more suitable to be part Celiane, given the whole brother/sister split of Celiane from the orig(well, if Cayenne and Mikono are siblings (>.>))? Personally, I get the impression that Zessica is moreso an reincarnation of Sylvia, not Celiane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
I don't think that Kagura is a clone. In the original series, Sylvia was an aggressive fighter/warrior woman but Sirus was not. Sure he was proud and a warrior but his personality wasn't like Sylvia's at all.

I think that it's the same for Amata and Kagaura. Amata's personality is like Apollonius (what we've seen of him in OAV) after he fell in love with Celiane and Kagura is like Apollonius before he met and loved Celiane. But I believe BOTH of them are actually one person
Apollo, Sylvia, and Sirius's normal persona was based on whatever environment they were brought up in. Their original personality had nothing to do with their past incarnations. The original Apollo was like an animal because he mostly had to hunt for his food like an animal to survive, while Sirius was in a kind of royal family(thus his sophisticated behavior). Sylvia prob became a brocon after her brother was the only one she had in the world. However, this Kagura's animal-like behavior seems completely out of place in the world Kagura returned to at the end of ep 2. To me, the only thing passed through reincarnation in Aquarion are memories and feelings. Aside from the times where the reincarnated was completely taken over by the past incarnation, that still did not change their personality or lifestyle. If that's the case, why is it that Kagura exhibits practically the same traits as Apollo, despite being in such an advanced technological environment? That just doesn't add up to me =02.

Neither Apollo, nor Apollonius ever seemed to think of themselves as useless trash like Amata did. Now, I understand the psychological hardship Amata had to go through because of his wing power, which is why he was calling himself useless and being emo, but that makes him far LESS like Apollo and Apollonius.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 10:10   Link #196
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
But there is a parallel with Baron and Alisia being taken. Apollo had the means and will to take Baron back but he failed. Here Alisia, whom I suspect to be Amata's sister, is taken away from him. We don't know yet the circumstances of the later only that Amata blames himself.

Also as demonstrated with Celine a soul can reincarnated into two persons with Sylvie and Sirius. As said with their reaction to Mikino who appears to be the reincarnation of Sylvie it seems to suggest Apollo's soul split into Kagura and Amata.

As for Zessica given her "Burst" feeling during gattai I suspect she's Tsugumi.

Andy for laughs is likely Pierre who has karma from the past life now unable to score chicks.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:38   Link #197
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Not to mention that the town they're in is not segregated at all! Hell, when Amata and Mikono are riding the boat, there're couples everywhere ! It really makes no sense! However, upon 2nd inspection, I see it could be possible that only a select few favor the separation of the genders(like when the ponytail girl was clapping in the church, the other girls looked displeased).
The segregation apparently only applies to Elements - makes sense, as they're the ones with powers that need to be regulated.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:35   Link #198
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
watched the first episode last night and all i can contribute right now is that the jury is still out on this one. I was a big fan of the original Aquarion and enjoyed quite a bit. This one just hasnt jumped at me like the original did from the very first episode. But it was only the first episode so i might being a little harsh. Right now even the music is feeling bland to me unlike the original where the music would set the mood very nicely from the OP to the ED and the OST. Will give myself some time to warm up to it.
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:57   Link #199
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
But there is a parallel with Baron and Alisia being taken. Apollo had the means and will to take Baron back but he failed. Here Alisia, whom I suspect to be Amata's sister, is taken away from him. We don't know yet the circumstances of the later only that Amata blames himself.

Also as demonstrated with Celine a soul can reincarnated into two persons with Sylvie and Sirius. As said with their reaction to Mikino who appears to be the reincarnation of Sylvie it seems to suggest Apollo's soul split into Kagura and Amata.
Key word is "suggest". Again, I did already say such a theory is very likely possible, and it's not like Aquarion makes you think deeply about its story or anything, but that doesn't mean it should be taken at face value. For example, if I were to say
Spoiler for original Aquarion BIG spoilers:
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 21:38   Link #200
mayumi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
not a fan of the main blue haired girl. she seems too soft. while sylvia was annoying she was designed as a stronger character.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.