AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-08, 09:38   Link #1
Ryhzuo
Ryhzuo

An anime that uses extensive cinematic techniques.

Hi. I'm looking for an anime that extensively uses cinematography techniques as an integral part of it's animation. Any type will do, but anime that has some grounding in realism is preferable, so anything with a SHAFT-esque style is a no-go. Aired after 2008 would also be nice.

Ideally I'd like it to be a film, but an anime series is fine too. If possible, please point out prominent episodes in which the techniques are featured.

Specifically I'm looking for panning, transitions, rack focusing and extreme distances (longshots and closeups). It's for a film study I'm working on.

Many thanks.

Edit:
-Panning basically means either a horizontal camera movement covering a scene (following walking characters doesn't count), or rotational movement of the camera.
-Rack focus means the transition of lens focus from objects of different distances.
-Extreme closeups and longshots are self explanatory.
Old 2012-01-08, 09:42   Link #2
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto : Natsu no Sora is one anime that i watched that used photo realistic backgrounds but i didn't like the anime much though.
Old 2012-01-08, 10:41   Link #3
Haak
F**k my life...

I'd have to recommend Fate/Zero. You'd be amazed at how many different angle shots they can do of people standing around talking. Here are some pictures:
Spoiler for space:
Old 2012-01-08, 12:09   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Rack focus tends to be more rare in anime, for obvious reasons.

Haruhi Suzumiya might be of interest to you, as I recall it had all three of those things.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is an older one that used a lot of film techniques, I would expect these to show up there.

Madoka Magica I know used a lot of extreme distances, and some panning too.

If I remember right I think Ano Hana used some rack focus.

I seem to recall Hayate the Combat Butler using a lot of panning.

And I think Mirai Nikki has a lot of extreme close ups.

Sorry I can't be more help, I usually don't think about those things when watching a show.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-01-08, 12:19   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryhzuo View Post
Specifically I'm looking for panning, transitions, rack focusing and extreme distances (longshots and closeups). It's for a film study I'm working on.
I think you'll find some of what you're looking for in Seirei no Moribito. There are distinctive long shots in some episodes, particularly 20 and, to a lesser degree, 13. In addition, the scenes with water, like streams and pools, are much more realistically rendered than in most anime, which reflects the importance water plays in the story line.

Twelve Kingdoms relies on close-ups of faces to compensate for the absence of motion photography in many sections. Youko's face and eyes are often illustrated in close up to portray her emotions in key scenes. Also panning is often used to add motion to scenes that are otherwise static.
Old 2012-01-08, 13:38   Link #6
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
A bit old I know but Noir (2001) I think would interest you

It has all of what you listed and has much more rack focuses than the avereage anime,it also likes to play with exposure as well,the whole anime feels like it was filmed with a camera rather than animated

A scene that comes to mind is towards the end of episode 10 where chloé introduces herself to the other girls.It has I think everything you're looking for in o,ne scene

The same director did phantom:reqiem for the phantom,it still has what you're looking for and is more recent (2009) however I feel it has less than noir.

There's also Madoka Magica ,I know you said no shaft but ouside of the witch barriers it's pretty "normal", there's some exemples of what you're looking for (except rack focuses)

Notably the first scene of episode 5 has long shots and very extreme close ups (including a "wide angle" close up that gives a really distorted view of a character) as well as pans.

I'll second fate zero

Last edited by totoum; 2012-01-08 at 14:09.
Old 2012-01-08, 14:05   Link #7
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Eve no Jikan has a fair bit of rack focus and a few scenes with panning. Not sure about extreme long shots and close ups and I don't get what you want with transitions. The animation feels very movie like though.
Old 2012-01-10, 19:10   Link #8
kitten320

I was just flipping through Ghost Hunt series for my own Uni project and noticed that it has a lot of elements going on. It has variety of angle shots, panning, some mechanical techniques, variety of zooms and so on. Worth a check.
Old 2012-01-10, 19:59   Link #9
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm going to second The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Episode 0 imitates real life camera effects intentionally to create the sense that the audience is watching an actual amateurish student movie.

While it is obviously parody, its overt intention and the many techniques used to the effect may prove useful to your study.

There are also other examples within the anime of various cinematographic effects as well. Some more "native" to the medium (i.e. widely used elsewhere, at least in well budgeted anime), and some, such as the concert scene of [chronological] episode 12, are utilized more directly to create a sense that one is watching an actual rock concert documentary.
Closed Thread