AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-11, 18:30   Link #61
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Just looking at the bishounen character designs...yeah I am pretty sure this is aimed at a female audience. Actually I would be surprised if it wasn't.

But what does it matter? I am a woman and I have no problem watching series aimed at a male audience so if you are a guy and are enjoying a series aimed at a female audience I don't see any need to justify why you like it.

What's important is the story and characters appeal to you not the target audience. A good story can be aimed at any target audience. In fact in the end I find target audiences meaningless.
Actually I wouldn't actually say that. This show is sufficiently aimed at the male demographic just not the "otaku" demographic. This is a shounen show plain and simple. Something of a lost art in Japanese anime outside of Shoenen jump animes and the obvious merchandising ones. Bishounen are still very popular amongst young males as shown in most Japanese action games, and the female in this is most certainly not the usual female avatar shown in most shoujo's and is clearly supposed to appeal to men. Only until we reach the point of several men on one girl with the girl choosing would we really reach that point.

I wouldn't even say this reached the likes of reborn status yet (you know shounens with very obvious female fanservice) until we get some very obvious yaoi undertones.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:41   Link #62
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Bleach characters are also mostly bishounen, all muscly and stuff yet it is aimed for guys mostly.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:46   Link #63
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Bleach characters are also mostly bishounen, all muscly and stuff yet it is aimed for guys mostly.
Yup look at most Final Fantasy males, heck japanese guys liking Bishounen characters is one of the main reasons westerners tend to rip on japanese games etc
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:46   Link #64
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Yes, but the Bleach females also appeal to guys... Orihime and Captain Masamoto (I think that's her name), and of course Nel's real form

Here... we obviously have a lack of TnA, the guy can kick major ass and doesn't give in to the whims of the female (well, at least not till after repeated attempts), all of which is rather quite refeshing to myself. Also, I kinda thought that Isanami looks a bit like a cross between Tessa and Kaname from Full Metal Panic (and I was seeing some of sousuke in Saizo as well)
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:01   Link #65
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Yes, but the Bleach females also appeal to guys... Orihime and Captain Masamoto (I think that's her name), and of course Nel's real form

Here... we obviously have a lack of TnA, the guy can kick major ass and doesn't give in to the whims of the female (well, at least not till after repeated attempts), all of which is rather quite refeshing to myself. Also, I kinda thought that Isanami looks a bit like a cross between Tessa and Kaname from Full Metal Panic (and I was seeing some of sousuke in Saizo as well)
Wait and the main girl isn't appealing to the guys in this? She's the happy go lucky ditz Japanese guys like so much. Heck you could interchange her with Orihime and there'd be no difference. This will probably be like Sengoku Basara with the major focus being the fighting. This isn't Shoujo or Yaoi at all, at least not yet.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:05   Link #66
Xaturas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Its not shoujo and its aimed at male audience.
Anyone thinking diferenly is strange or bend by current broken anime market.
Main pairing is set in stone the moment they meet, more likely 1-2 of "brave 10" males will try to hook up with the girl but will become a laughing factor or love romance side rival.
As far as it goes I didn't see any gay/shoujo wibes from it.
Males who look like a male and not a lump noodle, girl which looks like a girl not some moeblob from k-onified animes.
Manga story is classified as "Action Adventure Ecchi Historical Seinen" by baka-updates, so I don't see anything gay in there.
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:24   Link #67
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
It's unclear to me who the manga is targeted to. It's in a magazine that

"subvert the preconceptions of shōnen and shōjo magazines"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nch-next-april

However the female manga-ka is known for drawing yaoi manga. And while I am 100% sure Brave 10 is not a yaoi manga, I would be surprised if she isn't drawing her male characters to appeal to female fans. Still perhaps the manga is not meant to be shounen or shoujo (like the magazine description says).

But just looking at the seiyuu cast, the character designs, and the fact that it is a "reverse harem" to me it seems the anime at least is being marketed to a female audience. Also in most reverse harems you can usually tell who the main couple will be right away.

Also I never thought the Bleach characters were Bishounen at all. Although Reborn is a good argument.

But really I don't care if it aimed at a male or female audience. But it seems some people on here care that it might be aimed at a female audience. Does that really make a difference in your enjoyment of the series?
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:26   Link #68
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
The story and characters are kinda old-school, that's why something feels out of place. I don't dislike it though.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:29   Link #69
Xaturas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Dunno Didn't read manga, but if this anime turns into shoujo I will burn it and forget about it. I cannot survive any of that mumbo jumbo that shoujo mangas spew into girls brains, no wonder men cannot understand women ...
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:30   Link #70
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Anime World
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

But really I don't care if it aimed at a male or female audience. But it seems some people on here care that it might be aimed at a female audience. Does that really make a difference in your enjoyment of the series?
I do agree that it shouldn't effect whether the anime is good or not. Brave10 has some good action, an interesting story and likable characters. That is what should be focused on.
__________________
Gintaro from Gingitsune
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:34   Link #71
Crimrui
Hollow
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River of solitude
Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
I really don't see what is the problem here now? Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas was drawn by Shiori Teshirogi, who made all her characters bishie and it was aimed primary for males. And I certainly welcome good looking males in my anime. So let's leave this ''bishie is for females only'' stuff and just enjoy?
__________________
Crimrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:43   Link #72
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It's unclear to me who the manga is targeted to. It's in a magazine that

"subvert the preconceptions of shōnen and shōjo magazines"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nch-next-april

However the female manga-ka is known for drawing yaoi manga. And while I am 100% sure Brave 10 is not a yaoi manga, I would be surprised if she isn't drawing her male characters to appeal to female fans. Still perhaps the manga is not meant to be shounen or shoujo (like the magazine description says).

But just looking at the seiyuu cast, the character designs, and the fact that it is a "reverse harem" to me it seems the anime at least is being marketed to a female audience. Also in most reverse harems you can usually tell who the main couple will be right away.

Also I never thought the Bleach characters were Bishounen at all. Although Reborn is a good argument.

But really I don't care if it aimed at a male or female audience. But it seems some people on here care that it might be aimed at a female audience. Does that really make a difference in your enjoyment of the series?
Yeah but the first episode is the exact opposite. It's clearly shouen, did you actually watch it? Also your quote doesn't exactly provide evidence for your arguement, the magazine is aimed at both meanings there's probably simply both shouenen and Shoujo manga in there. Plus most accounts of the manga state seinen, (though the anime most likely shounen). The plot and everything about it says it's aimed at males. The only reason people are even making this coclusion is because of the bishouen designs that aren't any more bishounen than the average Shouen and the fact there' only one female currently shouen from the small amount of cast members currently seen. There's probably some more tht will be added later.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:53   Link #73
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
I really don't see what is the problem here now? Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas was drawn by Shiori Teshirogi, who made all her characters bishie and it was aimed primary for males. And I certainly welcome good looking males in my anime. So let's leave this ''bishie is for females only'' stuff and just enjoy?
Lost Canvas was great but the yaoi undertones at the end were very annoying. Sorta the same with Reborn, though Reborn has a lot more problems than yaoi undertones.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:59   Link #74
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
So let's leave this ''bishie is for females only'' stuff and just enjoy?

I never said that. I don't care about target audience and I am not the one saying guys shouldn't watch this if it is indeed shoujo (nor am I saying girls won't enjoy it if it is aimed at guys).

But some posters on here seemed offended at the very idea that this series might be aimed at a female audience and that is what I can't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take
Yeah but the first episode is the exact opposite. It's clearly shouen, did you actually watch it?
Yes I did and it doesn't make me think "clearly shounen" at all. At the very least I will say it is unclear. It might have elements of shounen but it also has elements that appeal very much to a female audience.

Quote:
Also your quote doesn't exactly provide evidence for your arguement, the magazine is aimed at both meanings there's probably simply both shouenen and Shoujo manga in there.
No that's not what the magazine says. It says it's changing the perception of what shounen & shoujo is. Hence the series could be neither but trying to target both audiences.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 20:05   Link #75
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I never said that. I don't care about target audience and I am not the one saying guys shouldn't watch this if it is indeed shoujo (nor am I saying girls won't enjoy it if it is aimed at guys).

But some posters on here seemed offended at the very idea that this series might be aimed at a female audience and that is what I can't understand.



Yes I did and it doesn't make me think "clearly shounen" at all. At the very least I will say it is unclear. It might have elements of shounen but it also has elements that appeal very much to a female audience.



No that's not what the magazine says. It says it's changing the perception of what shounen & shoujo is. Hence the series could be neither but trying to target both audiences.
Yeah it's talking about the magazine it's published in it never talks about the manga. Just the magazine it's published in.

And also precisely what in the episode was clearly aimed at females, obviously there's plenty of females out their that enjoy shounens but that doesn't make them aimed at them. I mean the girl was the oblivious fanservice girl so common in shounens, and the guy was the typical cool calm and collected "badass" lead there's was some fights, shounen romances and dark forshadowing, that's it. Is he attractive to females yeah, like Sasuke in Naruto and plenty of others characters that share that design. Does that make Naruto Shoujo or aimed at girls? No.

Also the magazine it came from "Comic Flapper" before it joined that magazine is seinen. So yeah It's blatantly obviously aimed at a male demographic, this arguement was kinda pointless.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2012-01-11 at 20:27.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 20:27   Link #76
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
And also precisely what in the episode was clearly aimed at females, obviously there's plenty of females out their that enjoy shounens but that doesn't make them aimed at them. I mean the girl was the oblivious fanservice girl, and the guy was the typical cool calm and collected "badass" lead there's was some fights, shounen romances and dark forshadowing, that's it. Is he attractive to females yeah, like Sasuke in Naruto and plenty of others characters that share that design. Does that make Naruto Shoujo or aimed at girls? No.
Let's see it's a "reverse harem" with characters that scream "pretty boy" and several popular male seiyuu in the industry. The only thing that makes me think male audience is the action scenes. But it certainly doesn't remind me of Naruto.

And shounen romance? The male character is most likely going to be tsundere for the female lead. If anything I got vibes of Tamahome & Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi. Miaka even liked to eat a lot like this female character.

I won't say the female character isn't going to appeal to male fans of the series but so far there seems to be a whole lot more "service" for girls, I don't see any of that in Naruto.


Quote:
Yeah it's talking about the magazine it's published in it never talks about the manga. Just the magazine it's published in.
And it certainly doesn't say the series is "shounen either". I mentioned the magazine because that usually tells you what demographic the series is in. This magazine doesn't explicitly say either way.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 20:29   Link #77
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Let's see it's a "reverse harem" with characters that scream "pretty boy" and several popular male seiyuu in the industry. The only thing that makes me think male audience is the action scenes. But it certainly doesn't remind me of Naruto.

And shounen romance? The male character is most likely going to be tsundere for the female lead. If anything I got vibes of Tamahome & Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi. Miaka even liked to eat a lot like this female character.

I won't say the female character isn't going to appeal to male fans of the series but so far there seems to be a whole lot more "service" for girls, I don't see any of that in Naruto.




And it certainly doesn't say the series is "shounen either". I mentioned the magazine because that usually tells you what demographic the series is in. This magazine doesn't explicitly say either way.
I'll repost this if you missed it.
The magazine it came from "Comic Flapper" before it joined that magazine is seinen. So yeah It's blatantly obviously aimed at a male demographic, this arguement was kinda pointless.

So yup I was right, unless your going to argue it demographic changed with the switch. Tsundere male is typically what you get if you have a serious show with a flaky lead like that and lol at reverse harem we'll see how that turns out.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 20:32   Link #78
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
And Kateyko Hitman Reborn is seralized in JUMP which is aimed at guys and it clearly has a huge female base so arguing demographics doesn't mean anything.
__________________
Break - Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 20:35   Link #79
Tenchi Hou Take
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
And Kateyko Hitman Reborn is seralized in JUMP which is aimed at guys and it clearly has a huge female base so arguing demographics doesn't mean anything.
Yeah that's precisely what I'm saying that's the most you can get from this show. It is SHOUNEN, perhaps with some yaoi and shoujo undertones added later, perhaps but at it's core it's still targetted primarily at males. And One piece has a very large female fan base, as do many shouens like Bleach and Naruto. The issue her was that Kirarakim was thinking it was equally or at least roughly equally aimed at both with a reverse harem etc, when it's obviously heavily aimed at males, and only perhaps maybe to some degree aimed at females.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 20:37   Link #80
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
It can be aimed at whoever they want too in the end it appeals to both guys and girls. I like it based on a the character design, the seiyuu and the storyline. I like period anime and amazingly I like shounen more then shoujo and Im female. I don't think it matters really as long as everyone enjoys it but to say it totally isn't for girls isn't right.
__________________
Break - Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.