AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2012-01-04, 22:15   Link #21
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
My friend, if that TPP pact goes up, even we here in SEA may be screwed....
With the reports saying it's controversial or likely to fail?

I just don't see it happening... I'm not gonna let anyone tell me I cannot watch anime for free. Even if it's the U.S.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 00:31   Link #22
Xenio
Flower

i'm surprised that no one here know a very easy way to get torrent with a very small risk, this site
http://torrific.com/
it download the torrent to it's sever and once it done, you can download it with http protocol

Last edited by Xenio; 2012-01-05 at 00:48.
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 02:03   Link #23
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
i'm surprised that no one here know a very easy way to get torrent with a very small risk, this site
http://torrific.com/
it download the torrent to it's sever and once it done, you can download it with http protocol
Hmm, what's the catch?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 09:38   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You know, the other solution is simply not to torrent mainstream shows like Bleach. What's wrong with Crunchyroll? Surely it can't be the measly $7/month? If you got a DMCA notice, you must be living in the US, so you're not region-blocked.
Old 2012-01-07, 22:46   Link #25
sa547
*Author

Judging that the threadstarter's post is the most recent (and nothing else), I'm afraid that by now his ISP completely locked him down.
Old 2012-01-08, 11:34   Link #26
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You know, the other solution is simply not to torrent mainstream shows like Bleach. What's wrong with Crunchyroll? Surely it can't be the measly $7/month? If you got a DMCA notice, you must be living in the US, so you're not region-blocked.
It could be the frankly, shitty quality of the videos. If you can't see it, download a CR rip from HS and a later release from a sub group that doesn't use CR's source for videos and watch them side by side. The difference is obvious, and it's horrible.

Also I find it funny that some people here think it's *not* okay to download from Nyaa or other torrent sites, but it's okay to watch it online on anime site. What makes that said site any more legal than downloading from torrents? If that anime site isn't CR then the anime you're watching was downloaded from Nyaa or other torrent site and uploaded to that site.

Anyway I would recommend to use proxies, or DDL. Usually DDL is even faster than torrent so I don't really see the problem here.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:17   Link #27
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Also I find it funny that some people here think it's *not* okay to download from Nyaa or other torrent sites, but it's okay to watch it online on anime site. What makes that said site any more legal than downloading from torrents?
I think that's more because you do not upload anything when you watch from those...ugh, horrible sites. The typical DMCA notice takes advantage of bittorrent's egalitarian "share the load" model, wherein everyone who downloads is also uploading. They can argue that the user is then contributing directly to piracy. Those anime sites *are* at risk of legal threats but they're generally shadier than the average anime watcher, site owners harder to track and all that, and also generally, I presume (probably overly so), not stupid enough to host their sites in servers in USA, Inc.

Ironic, isn't it. You're better off being a selfish leecher and leave all the load to the DDL server or streaming site whereas the fairer torrent system puts you at risk.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 13:08   Link #28
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
It could be the frankly, shitty quality of the videos. If you can't see it, download a CR rip from HS and a later release from a sub group that doesn't use CR's source for videos and watch them side by side. The difference is obvious, and it's horrible.
That's just one more iteration of a ridiculous overstatement that I hear all the time here. I just watched three episodes of the 720p version of Usagi Drop last night on a 40" HDTV; it was hardly a "horrible" experience. Whatever improvement to video quality a fansub version might offer would be marginal at best.

There are certainly series where I prefer the fansubbed version to Crunchy's, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin being the most obvious example, but my concerns in that case have to do with the script, not the video quality. Erin was released when Crunchy was just getting started, so I doubt they had access to, or money to pay, the same crew of translators they use now.

I find it amusing that someone living in Finland, which as far as I know is region-blocked by Crunchy, can have such strong opinions about the service.
Old 2012-01-08, 13:47   Link #29
Dist

I find it amusing that you're assuming I'm region blocked my Crunchy. I'll have you know that I'm subscribed to CR and I can watch almost all series from there without issues. Never tried Bleach, however, since I don't like it.

So yes, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to quality. The quality may not be so obvious on certain scenes, but is rather visible on certain colors, such as black. There's just .. unexplainable colors and shapes on dark backgrounds which makes it look really awful. Should I capture you some screenshots and put them side by side so you can do comparison? Like I said, the quality issues are obvious on certain scenes.

I've been meaning to cancel my subscription but keep forgetting .. Should do that now actually.
Old 2012-01-09, 01:18   Link #30
sneaker

Does HorribleSubs really use the CrunchyRoll videos? I thought they only steal the script and mux it with their own HDTV capture.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 04:35   Link #31
Dist

Nope. They rip all of their releases from CR/Funi. Says it even on their website.
Old 2012-01-11, 09:13   Link #32
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Hmm, what's the catch?
Lots of limits if you don't pay $10 a month for premium service.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 23:51   Link #33
Niji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
The thing is if you upload, as in p2p, there is always the argument you uploaded to the internet; there are millions of people on the internet, so you have caused a billion $ of damage by sharing a movie for half a day.
Just curious, I most often use IRC, or DDL. But on BT there is share ratio. It is not taken into consideration how much you REALLY uploaded?
Niji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 22:35   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niji View Post
Just curious, I most often use IRC, or DDL. But on BT there is share ratio. It is not taken into consideration how much you REALLY uploaded?
No. One packet is enough - simply joining the cloud makes you evil and piratey and evil. (I said evil twice). They've got these notices automated now ... they just hand a phony torrent client on the cloud of interest and slurp up all the IPs. Then they cross-index to the ISP and send an auto-letter to the ISP (who must then look at the logs and see which user was assigned that IP at that time). The ISP then generates whatever penalty letter they've chosen to implement (please-stop-and-confirm, time-out-for-you, you-will-be-shot-dead, etc).

For various reasons... IRC and DDL are the "safest" (until someone manages to slip in some ISPs must do all the detective work at their own cost law)
Old 2012-01-13, 23:45   Link #35
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Also I find it funny that some people here think it's *not* okay to download from Nyaa or other torrent sites, but it's okay to watch it online on anime site. What makes that said site any more legal than downloading from torrents? If that anime site isn't CR then the anime you're watching was downloaded from Nyaa or other torrent site and uploaded to that site.
We are only discussing the risk involved with different approaches here. We are not doing moral judgement of what is ok and what not.
This being an anime forum that originated from the fansub scene, it should be obvious where most users stand in that aspect.

I tried that torriffic thing on a nyaa torrent. Took it some days, then it actually mailed me a link and said it was ready. But on the site the result was "not a valid torrent file".
Fail.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 01:05   Link #36
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Anyway I would recommend to use proxies, or DDL. Usually DDL is even faster than torrent so I don't really see the problem here.
Depending on seeds. Torrent>IRC>DDL. Usually DDL is capped and finding link is hard because they get removed. Torrent and IRC is easy because you can quickily check Nyaa or the XDCC list from your favorite fansubber. It also depends on how fast your internet service is. If you download at 2+ Mbps then it is even harder to find DDL that gives you that speed as oppose to torrent where it just depends on seeds. tl;dr IRC is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No. One packet is enough - simply joining the cloud makes you evil and piratey and evil. (I said evil twice). They've got these notices automated now ...
This makes me sad. Sometimes I accidentally open torrents and that is enough to qualify me as evil. Oh well, it is not as if I don't IRC animes. I wonder what would happen if SOPA passes....... :<
Old 2012-01-14, 03:18   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Typically, the investigating company won't run the spy connection for the entire duration of the torrent ... they'll pick a few days and run it, turn in the offending addresses, $profit$ (when the content owner pays them for their "work").
Old 2012-01-14, 07:34   Link #38
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
What're links to yesasia doing on that notice? . Both links are for imported manga from Japan; I think someone at Funimation needs to double-check their requests .
That's is full of shit, why don't also list Bestbuy, Target or any other website that sells their DVDs.

Funny thing is that the links they given on YesAsia aren't even Funanimation DVDs. the it was page for getting original Japanese manga and licensed Chinese edition form Hong Kong and Taiwan.

I really doubt they actually went to those web address to double check.
Old 2012-01-15, 19:35   Link #39
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That's just one more iteration of a ridiculous overstatement that I hear all the time here. I just watched three episodes of the 720p version of Usagi Drop last night on a 40" HDTV; it was hardly a "horrible" experience. Whatever improvement to video quality a fansub version might offer would be marginal at best.
I'd dispute that every series CR streams looks horrible. But some do. Steins;Gate in particular comes to mind, some of the dark scenes in that have an awful lot of very noticeable banding and blocking. No idea how it compares to fansub versions since I never checked, but it's far cry from the quality I see from most modern fansubs.

Usagi Drop doesn't strike me as the kind of show that's likely to suffer that kind of problem (not enough dark scenes). CR also appears to have upped its bitrates for 2012 which might help the problem but I can't say for sure - not enough data yet.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:30   Link #40
Hiroi Sekai
Kiss Already, Damn it!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
I recall watching Shugo Chara entirely on Crunchyroll with no problem. What I've found is that when something is released under the idea that CR directly subbed it themselves, oftentimes I'll find broken text (question marks, ampersands and other things) where apostrophes need to be.

Other than that, I have no problem with Crunchyroll.