AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-07, 13:26   Link #1241
Aqua Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 22
On topic:

I also want ME 3 to tie ME 1 and ME 2, because they felt too disjointed and that's like playing two different games in terms of plot.
__________________
I can’t sleep tonight…fish girl, sing me a song!
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 14:59   Link #1242
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Should be interesting to see how the decisions made will play out here. Also hoping they weren't bad decisions .
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodude711 View Post
Exactly.

However, I'm not saying that Bioware is entirely blameless on how Dragon Age 2 turned out. I think both EA and Bioware are at fault for what happened.
I'm not saying EA didn't play a part, but Bioware was still partly responsible and thus the doubt that's crept in.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 15:08   Link #1243
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
One disappointing game shouldn't make you suddenly distrust everything Bioware creates.

ME1 is one of the defining games of the generation. DA:O is up there with the best of it's genre. ME2 was epic in scope and execution, not as good as ME1 but certainly the best game of 2010 (or at least tied with RDR).

Then DA:2 comes along and it's clearly rushed. By how long we've had to wait for ME3 and the fact they have been receptive to critiquing from the fans (such as how they ditched too many RPG elements for ME2) should inspire confidence.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 16:03   Link #1244
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That's exactly what people said about CD stores when MP3's started to become popular. Still plenty of CD stores around.

There will always be a demand for physical copies, and as long as that demand exists, there will be stores to supply. Besides, there's still the console market, which itself is growing as well as gaming becomes more and more mainstream.
Gaming stores will still be around as long as consoles are still around, but their selection of PC Titles will diminish. The selection of PC titles at most retail store are already pretty abysmal.

I think within 5 years most retail stores will drop PC titles completely, barring the special edition versions with physical loot.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 19:38   Link #1245
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
rather than being something that may happen in the future, it's something that must happen in the future

brick and mortar gaming retail must be phased out

and we must do our part to make sure it dies
__________________
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 19:39   Link #1246
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That's exactly what people said about CD stores when MP3's started to become popular. Still plenty of CD stores around.
CD Stores are a niche, though I understand what you're saying because technically vinyl records are still being sold as well, even though they haven't been mainstream since 1991. However, it is not easily comparable to games since games cost a whole lot more to make than music.

Quote:
Besides still a ton of people who want their physical copies and having them on their shelves.
The fact that very few companies make actual manuals for their games anymore is reason enough for me to quit get physical copies. Having them on my shelves is pretty dumb because they're pretty much full already. Besides that, most of what's actually good these days are indie titles, which are download only (Super Meat Boy being a notable exception in that it does come in a boxed copy). So I honestly don't care.
__________________
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 20:02   Link #1247
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Given that consoles are becoming more popular due to the ease of use (no installation and compatibility issues and the like) retail shops are far from dieing out, no matter what the doomsayers may claim. The PC retail market will diminish, sure. And I have no doubt that in the future, major chains will stock fewer and fewer PC titles because it'll get less and less profitable. Though you will always keep finding the smaller specialty shops of the type that still sell NES games that will keep selling them.

But retail games will always exist.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 20:12   Link #1248
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Given that consoles are becoming more popular due to the ease of use (no installation and compatibility issues and the like) retail shops are far from dieing out, no matter what the doomsayers may claim. The PC retail market will diminish, sure. And I have no doubt that in the future, major chains will stock fewer and fewer PC titles because it'll get less and less profitable. Though you will always keep finding the smaller specialty shops of the type that still sell NES games that will keep selling them.

But retail games will always exist.
I like how you're ignoring the fact that digital distribution is already on consoles and that this is not just a PC thing.
__________________
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:15   Link #1249
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
The only time I buy physical copies these days is when I want the goodies from a Collector's Edition set. Space is already a constraint in my rooms considering that I also collect model kits, and I don't exactly have the option to "download kits". :P Whereas with PC Gaming, I can centralise everything within my gaming rig.

The way I see it, digital distribution makes sense. It enables them to co-ordinate global launches better, prevents leaks via unsavoury store clerks, and replaces the production cost of packaging with server bandwidth, allowing them to have a higher profit margin and lower initial investment cost.

The only reason why I have not installed Origin yet is because their selection of titles is not compelling enough, BF3 notwithstanding. I will probably install it when ME3 comes out, as I do want to finish my character's saga all the way from ME1.

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:21   Link #1250
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
The fact that very few companies make actual manuals for their games anymore is reason enough for me to quit get physical copies. Having them on my shelves is pretty dumb because they're pretty much full already. Besides that, most of what's actually good these days are indie titles, which are download only (Super Meat Boy being a notable exception in that it does come in a boxed copy). So I honestly don't care.
People buy physical copies for manuals? I never cared about those things anyways.

Sorry you have shelving issues, but that's not really a reason for the industry to stop making physical copies. It's like saying my hard drive is getting full so we should stop having things to download. There are some indie games, but I'd disagree that they are what's actually good. Of course a question of "what's good" is a personal opinion thing anyways so no point really arguing in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
I like how you're ignoring the fact that digital distribution is already on consoles and that this is not just a PC thing.
Though isn't that mostly for classic games that you can't easily find anymore? That's fine since the older games aren't too big in terms of file size anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
One disappointing game shouldn't make you suddenly distrust everything Bioware creates.

ME1 is one of the defining games of the generation. DA:O is up there with the best of it's genre. ME2 was epic in scope and execution, not as good as ME1 but certainly the best game of 2010 (or at least tied with RDR).

Then DA:2 comes along and it's clearly rushed. By how long we've had to wait for ME3 and the fact they have been receptive to critiquing from the fans (such as how they ditched too many RPG elements for ME2) should inspire confidence.
One bad result is enough to lay the seeds of doubt. I'm not going to go into DA3 (it's bound to happen) without any suspicions after what happened last time. After all they talked about listening to the fans and yet came out with that product.

I'm still looking forward to and planing to get ME3, but we'll see how they do this time around.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:21   Link #1251
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
I like how you're ignoring the fact that digital distribution is already on consoles and that this is not just a PC thing.
There's a hellalot less full-game downloads on console. DLC, sure, but you still need the disks for that. Old titles from former console incarnations that aren't even sold in mainstream stores anymore, sure. But full current-gen games? Not that much yet.

Varies a lot per console, too. I hear the Wii barely even bothers.

Not surprising either. HDD space is still an issue for consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
One bad result is enough to lay the seeds of doubt. I'm not going to go into DA3 (it's bound to happen) without any suspicions after what happened last time. After all they talked about listening to the fans and yet came out with that product.

I'm still looking forward to and planing to get ME3, but we'll see how they do this time around.
I'm not sure what listening to the fans has to do with DA2 being disappointing to most. Last I checked, most of the major complaints (voiceless character, slow combat system, creepy character design) were dealt with. The only one I can think off they didn't listen to is the request for a modding tool.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 01:15   Link #1252
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 26
As far as DA2 goes, the story was the weakest point IMO. I mean after DAO, I should expect something better. As far as the main story went, it was something I'd expect from an expansion or a bridge between 1-2. Especially with the way Flemeth was handled.
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 04:53   Link #1253
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
One bad result is enough to lay the seeds of doubt. I'm not going to go into DA3 (it's bound to happen) without any suspicions after what happened last time. After all they talked about listening to the fans and yet came out with that product.

I'm still looking forward to and planing to get ME3, but we'll see how they do this time around.
I disagree, there isn't a games company out there who has a completely flawless record without at least one game muddying the waters to some degree. It's how they react to that. Do they continue to press ahead with indignation or do they recognize mistakes were made and do their best to reconcile with the fanbase? All indicators point towards Bioware doing the latter.

As Bioware are still "those guys who have made some of the best games of this generation", I'm more than ready to sideline DA:2 as an exception to the rule. More bad games would make it a trend, but for now, it was only a one-off.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 15:57   Link #1254
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 26
Steam has been offering 'collector's editions' of their own, basically the artwork or what have you is given in a pdf form. Not quite what I would want if I paid the extra dough. I totally understand why one would prefer physical copies. I myself only buy them if indeed I'm wanting the collector's edition which would come with physical goodies.
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 13:58   Link #1255
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
Finally finished ME 1 & 2 ~35hours each . Can't wait for the 3.
I hope that my crew that i saved in ME 2 ending will be all safe in ME 3. Still couldn't save Kelly & the others though...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 14:20   Link #1256
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Finally finished ME 1 & 2 ~35hours each . Can't wait for the 3.
I hope that my crew that i saved in ME 2 ending will be all safe in ME 3. Still couldn't save Kelly & the others though...
Eh? Saving Kelly and the others from being melted into goo is easy, jsut make sure you go straight through the Omega 4 relay right after they get kidnapped (do not do any missions!) and make sure to send a loyal crew member to escort them back.
__________________
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 18:56   Link #1257
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Cross-Promotion with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect 3
Playing the Reckoning demo will grant bonus content for you to use in ME3, and the ME3 demo will also do the same for Reckoning. You get armor for simply playing the demos and weapons for completing the demos.

This cross-promotion makes much more sense than the Dead Space 2/Dragon Age II cross promotion from last year, and it's much simpler since you don't have to buy the game, just have to play the demo.
__________________
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 19:54   Link #1258
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
I had already intended to play the Kingdoms of Amalur demo, but now this 100% assures I will. Chakram Launcher? YES PLZ!
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 01:47   Link #1259
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 26
Welp, it's Origin only and non-Steam as well: http://gamingbolt.com/origin-is-requ...-mass-effect-3
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 04:21   Link #1260
Aqua Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 22
What is Origin?
__________________
I can’t sleep tonight…fish girl, sing me a song!
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
effect, games, mass

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.