AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-12, 04:24   Link #41
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, if you're going to pretend that moving one or two pixels makes a substantial difference... sure. But in practice, many characters look so similar that one could select a frame of sloppy artwork, remove the context, and it would be impossible to tell them apart.

When you simplify in drawing - you reduce information and therefore reduce possible variation. And the thread isn't about *identical* copies but *similar* copies.
In practice, even in my animation studio, you can get the 100 of us each to draw 100 designs and all of them look different for the same character.

Drawing, unlike real life, character proportions are not bound by physics, you can draw them as exaggerated and impossible as you want, making design choices unlimited.

Even in anime context, does this tsundere character have to be a human? She could be a catgirl, elf, vampire etc, giving them different ears, eyes, fangs, clothing, hairstyle, body shape, appendages. Again, there are unlimited factors one can consider when designing characters.

There is no pretense in the eyes of the designer, its more like the lack of sensitivity from audience. In this case anime, an extremely limited type of animation in terms of character design, where characters must have sharp chins and big eyes. But still anime characters can be draw in countless ways, but the final design decision is chosen to look the most appealing to the general anime audience.

My argument with you is against your claim that there is a limited amount of ways to draw characters in all of cartooning. Get Gobelins to draw Kyoani characters, Gainax to draw Pixar characters, Aardman to draw Bones characters, Sunrise to draw Disney characters etc., you'll get completely different designs for everything. If characters can be made to look similar so easily, there won't be complains about adaptations and remakes of anything.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 04:59   Link #42
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, if you're going to pretend that moving one or two pixels makes a substantial difference... sure. But in practice, many characters look so similar that one could select a frame of sloppy artwork, remove the context, and it would be impossible to tell them apart.

When you simplify in drawing - you reduce information and therefore reduce possible variation. And the thread isn't about *identical* copies but *similar* copies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
In practice, even in my animation studio, you can get the 100 of us each to draw 100 designs and all of them look different for the same character.

...My argument with you is against your claim that there is a limited amount of ways to draw characters in all of cartooning. Get Gobelins to draw Kyoani characters, Gainax to draw Pixar characters, Aardman to draw Bones characters, Sunrise to draw Disney characters etc., you'll get completely different designs for everything. If characters can be made to look similar so easily, there won't be complains about adaptations and remakes of anything.
To me, red wine is red wine. I couldn't care less whether it's a merlot or a shiraz, let alone bother with the minute differences between all the various labels within a single type.

Yet, if you ask me about beer, I would wax lyrical about the differences between lager and real ale, and could easily go on and on about whether a pint of Kilkenny is better than a pint of Boddingtons.

My point? I'm with C.A. on this one. There are differences between the various character designs listed as similar in this thread, and the more familiar one is with character design in general — and with the Japanese approach to animation in particular — the more apparent the differences become.

I can empathise with the view that these differences are so minute that they don't matter. But try telling that to aficionados of any kind of gadget you can think of, from video cards to headphones. Any one of the die-hard lovers will tell you that a difference is a difference.

Suddenly, I'm reminded of a local parody of Thai salespeople who say: "Same, same but not the same."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 11:23   Link #43
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Unless we are talking about different characters drawn by the same artist(s) (especially the case with clamp, Toriyama Akira and Takahashi Rumiko) characters will never look exactly the same unless it's a parody, tribute or just a blatant copy or ripoff of an existing character.

But then again this topic is actually about looking similar, not about characters who look exactly the same. Characters looking similar to eachother does not mean that they have all the same traits.
An example would be that some people who see short haired characters with a ribbon hairbands instantly link them with Haruhi, even if these characters don't exactly look the same. Like Yurippe from Angel Beats or Takanashi Sora from Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 13:59   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Heh... just my last point - "same" or "identical" does not equal "similar"

Quote:
sim·i·lar

   [sim-uh-ler] Show IPA
adjective 1. having a likeness or resemblance, especially in a general way: two similar houses.
No one is arguing they are *identical* .... but if you have black hair, brown eyes, and a tanned complexion... and *I* have black hair, brown eyes, and a tanned complexion, we are "similar". Two anime characters who each have long twin tails, cat-like eyes, and tsundere personalities are classed as "similar".

Very few (none?) of these comparisions are *identical*, but "similar" is exactly the right word to use.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 14:25   Link #45
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Well I guess its up to the sensitivity of the audience as I mentioned.

Alot of the comparisons here only have one or two actual similarity, same hair colour, same hair style for example. We can't even factor in face shape, because everyone has 'similar' sharp chins, or big eyes and dot noses. 'Similar' in open inverted commas because actually to me, even the sharp chins are very different, the angle of the chin and height of cheeks can affect a character's maturity and personality.

But even so, just a single difference or change in appearance can affect alot. If Haruhi had thick eyebrows, Kyon has long hair, Mikuru is taller than Kyon, Yuki has pink hair and Itsuki is bald, the dynamics of the entire story would change.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 15:47   Link #46
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
But even so, just a single difference or change in appearance can affect alot. If Haruhi had thick eyebrows, Kyon has long hair, Mikuru is taller than Kyon, Yuki has pink hair and Itsuki is bald, the dynamics of the entire story would change.
Sorry, but can you explain why changing the appearance of some characters would have changed the dynamics of a story? Personally i think changing the personality traits of characters would have a bigger impact on the story rather than the appearance though, unless the change is extreme (like a gender change, but that would probably also effect the personality a little)
An example why i disagree with that statement are live action adaptions of anime or mangas. While some characters don't even look close to their manga/anime counterpart , the story itself was not that effected (of course we have take into account the limitations of live action).
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 21:01   Link #47
Imperial Patricia
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Spoiler for Matsu, from Sekirei:


And

Spoiler for Hong Meiling, From Touhou Project:
Imperial Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 00:07   Link #48
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Smokin that CO bong
Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
I think I'm being Mr. Obvious here, but...
Spoiler for you know it:
__________________

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:50   Link #49
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Sorry, but can you explain why changing the appearance of some characters would have changed the dynamics of a story? Personally i think changing the personality traits of characters would have a bigger impact on the story rather than the appearance though, unless the change is extreme (like a gender change, but that would probably also effect the personality a little)
An example why i disagree with that statement are live action adaptions of anime or mangas. While some characters don't even look close to their manga/anime counterpart , the story itself was not that effected (of course we have take into account the limitations of live action).
I imagine it's a problem of "casting". To take your live-action analogy, who you cast into a role can dramatically change how the character is perceived. The actor's ability to work with other cast members — that is, their screen chemistry — may also be affected, hence affecting the "dynamics" of the story.

Take Batman, for example. When George Clooney dons the cowl and cloak, we get the "campy" version of the caped crusader popular in the 60s and 70s. With Christian Bale in the role, however, the character suddenly becomes, at last, the Dark Knight of the 1990s and beyond.

In anime, this "casting" process begins with character design. From what I understand, it's usually a give-and-take process between the artist and the writer. They have a certain personality in mind, and start the design from a range of common character templates, that is, the stereotypical forms that lead to perceptions of "similarities" that everyone here is pointing out.

It's through iterative reworking that a "unique" character design is born. Like C.A., I feel there are sufficient differences in many of the designs highlighted in this thread for them to be considered different, rather than "similar" or even alike.

Perhaps as a kind of creator myself, I feel it's a bit rude — if not insulting — to suggest that "the designs are the same" when, to me, it seems to be more a case of people not putting in enough effort to see and feel the differences than there being actual similarities in the art.

It's a bit like saying that The Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R. R. Martin are the same as the The Lord of the Rings novels by J.R.R. Tolkien because, you know, they are fantasy novels written on the same epic scale. To say that would be utterly disrespectful to Martin.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 08:10   Link #50
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Take Batman, for example. When George Clooney dons the cowl and cloak, we get the "campy" version of the caped crusader popular in the 60s and 70s. With Christian Bale in the role, however, the character suddenly becomes, at last, the Dark Knight of the 1990s and beyond.
You forgot to take account the writing and the script of "Batman and Robin". No matter who was casted for that role of batman, the writing of that movie turned that batman campy. Eventhough casting George Clooney made it even campier.

edit: i just remembered something that also supports my previous statement. In "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin", Robin was played by the same actor: Chris O'Donnell. Yet in "Batman and Robin", Robin degraded into more of an idiot due to the campier story and script.


Let's take an example of the Saikono live action movie. The actress who plays Chise doesn't look close to her manga counterpart, but that did not change the story in any way. Though the movie did change lots of events, but that was due to the time constraints of being a movie not how the characters looked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
In anime, this "casting" process begins with character design. From what I understand, it's usually a give-and-take process between the artist and the writer. They have a certain personality in mind, and start the design from a range of common character templates, that is, the stereotypical forms that lead to perceptions of "similarities" that everyone here is pointing out.

It's through iterative reworking that a "unique" character design is born. Like C.A., I feel there are sufficient differences in many of the designs highlighted in this thread for them to be considered different, rather than "similar" or even alike.

Perhaps as a kind of creator myself, I feel it's a bit rude — if not insulting — to suggest that "the designs are the same" when, to me, it seems to be more a case of people not putting in enough effort to see and feel the differences than there being actual similarities in the art.

It's a bit like saying that The Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R. R. Martin are the same as the The Lord of the Rings novels by J.R.R. Tolkien because, you know, they are fantasy novels written on the same epic scale. To say that would be utterly disrespectful to Martin.
Characters looking similar and stories looking similar are very different things in my opinion. If you want to compare characters who look similar , you only have to look for a few traits to see the similarities. If you want to compare stories who are similar, you have to look into it with greater detail.
Your comparison with the song of ice and fire and lord of the rings was rather shallow.
That's comparing True Tears, Clannad, EF a tale of memories and Mashiro iro Symphony and claiming that those series are similar. Besides that there is romance and it has school settings, those series have little in common.
However series like Death note and Lost+Brain have much more in common,
- both series have a main character who are highly intelligent with special powers
- both main characters want to revolutionize the world using their powers
- both main characters uses people as mere pawns to achieve their goals
- both are chased down by a similar intelligent person
- both main characters failed at the end

Last edited by hyl; 2012-01-13 at 09:01.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 17:28   Link #51
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Sorry, but can you explain why changing the appearance of some characters would have changed the dynamics of a story? Personally i think changing the personality traits of characters would have a bigger impact on the story rather than the appearance though, unless the change is extreme (like a gender change, but that would probably also effect the personality a little)
An example why i disagree with that statement are live action adaptions of anime or mangas. While some characters don't even look close to their manga/anime counterpart , the story itself was not that effected (of course we have take into account the limitations of live action).
Definitely changing the personality of characters would have a direct impact to how stories would be written, but alot of times, the personalities of characters are decided based on their appearances as well. A good writer must be able to take into account the appearance of characters, why they look like they are and how people interact with such appearance.

Let's use my example of Mikuru being taller than Kyon. This as well as the other examples were thought up quite quickly and randomly, not exactly very well thought design decisions. But lets see what kind of changes would this bring to the character dynamics, interactions and how the story will need to be rewritten.

Mikuru being taller than Kyon is probably the biggest change, if she's taller than Kyon, would Kyon still have the same level of attraction towards her? Kyon would still find her pleasing to his eyes, but will not be as attracted simply because she's taller than him. Mikuru would have super model proportions and would be 'out of his league'. Originally Mikuru's petit frame is also why she is easily bullied by Haruhi, would a larger frame make her more confident and less of a pushover?

By changing Mikuru's vulnerability and attractiveness, it would change the outcomes of various events that happened in the original story. This would mean that it would change the objective of the 'higher ups' that sent Mikuru to the past. Because Kyon would be less attracted to Mikuru and Haruhi not going to push Mikuru around as much, there would be a much lesser chance of Mikuru driving a wedge between Kyon and Haruhi. In order to make Mikuru as significant to the story as she was originally, she would need to sent from the future for another purpose.

If I were to include pink hair Yuki and bald Itsuki, there would be even more changes. Would pink Yuki be as transparent and have as little presence as the original? She would probably attract much more attention and easier to spot, the Data Entities probably sent for a more engaging purpose that surveillance. Especially when all normal people have normal coloured hair, Yuki's pink hair would make her very outstanding, Kyon may find her more interesting and approachable. If Itsuki was bald, he would be less of a bishi and would tick off Kyon less. Kyon would probably find him more of just a brainy guy than obnoxious.

EDIT: About your argument on movie casting.

There's a reason why casting actors is a very big decision when making a film, actors have to fall into a set of criteria. In the case of Batman, all he needs for his appearance is a square jaw, since the rest is covered in costume. And Robin just needs to be shorter than Batman. If Batman has a sharp chin and Robin is taller, we know something is terribly wrong. There are lots of people who can work as Batman, but much more who can't. Like Batman has to be caucasian, this means at least 75% of the world can't be Batman.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2012-01-14 at 17:48.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 20:16   Link #52
wontaek
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Age: 44
When Ayanami Rei of Evangellion made her first appearance in the TV back in 1990s, many said she resembled O-Yuki from Urusei Yatsura in many ways. Of course, Evangellion fanatics burned anyone who said this on the stake during 1996.
__________________
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 10:01   Link #53
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Definitely changing the personality of characters would have a direct impact to how stories would be written, but alot of times, the personalities of characters are decided based on their appearances as well. A good writer must be able to take into account the appearance of characters, why they look like they are and how people interact with such appearance.
Appearances can be deceiving, i think you know that saying. Not every person with a specific look has a fixed personality.
Like in anime, not every twin tailed person is a Tsundere, not every old man has to be either a pervert or some kind of martial arts master or not every childhood friend has to be a bishoujo. You are linking personality and looks too much together. Like i have said before, you looking at things at a way too shallow perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Let's use my example of Mikuru being taller than Kyon. This as well as the other examples were thought up quite quickly and randomly, not exactly very well thought design decisions. But lets see what kind of changes would this bring to the character dynamics, interactions and how the story will need to be rewritten.

Mikuru being taller than Kyon is probably the biggest change, if she's taller than Kyon, would Kyon still have the same level of attraction towards her? Kyon would still find her pleasing to his eyes, but will not be as attracted simply because she's taller than him. Mikuru would have super model proportions and would be 'out of his league'. Originally Mikuru's petit frame is also why she is easily bullied by Haruhi, would a larger frame make her more confident and less of a pushover?

By changing Mikuru's vulnerability and attractiveness, it would change the outcomes of various events that happened in the original story. This would mean that it would change the objective of the 'higher ups' that sent Mikuru to the past. Because Kyon would be less attracted to Mikuru and Haruhi not going to push Mikuru around as much, there would be a much lesser chance of Mikuru driving a wedge between Kyon and Haruhi. In order to make Mikuru as significant to the story as she was originally, she would need to sent from the future for another purpose.
I have no idea in what culture you live that women who are smaller than yourself more attractive than the one who are taller than yourself, but i find a small height not one of an issue when it comes to beauty. In fact most people find taller women more attractive. Also i find it insulting to all the men in the world who have girlfriends or wives that are taller than themselves.
Also finding a women in japan who are taller than Kyon (who probably has a height of around 170cm )is quite slim.
No matter how you look , you will still get pushed around if you still act docile. Haruhi is still the kind of person who still bully her if Mikuru won't stand up to her (which she won't due her personality)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
If I were to include pink hair Yuki and bald Itsuki, there would be even more changes. Would pink Yuki be as transparent and have as little presence as the original? She would probably attract much more attention and easier to spot, the Data Entities probably sent for a more engaging purpose that surveillance. Especially when all normal people have normal coloured hair, Yuki's pink hair would make her very outstanding, Kyon may find her more interesting and approachable. If Itsuki was bald, he would be less of a bishi and would tick off Kyon less. Kyon would probably find him more of just a brainy guy than obnoxious.
I did say if the changes were not all too drastic, if Yuki's hair stands out too much compared to normal people i would call this change too drastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Personally i think changing the personality traits of characters would have a bigger impact on the story rather than the appearance though, unless the change is extreme
Eventhough I think pink hair won't stand out too much seeing that she already has an unsual purple hair colour and there is also a green haired Tsuruya.
edit: almost forgot about the blue haired Asakura or the also green haired Kimidori. Those are also not a common colours.

Also about your statement about bald Itsuki being less of an bishi, are you implying that bald people are less attractive?


Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
EDIT: About your argument on movie casting.

There's a reason why casting actors is a very big decision when making a film, actors have to fall into a set of criteria. In the case of Batman, all he needs for his appearance is a square jaw, since the rest is covered in costume. And Robin just needs to be shorter than Batman. If Batman has a sharp chin and Robin is taller, we know something is terribly wrong. There are lots of people who can work as Batman, but much more who can't. Like Batman has to be caucasian, this means at least 75% of the world can't be Batman.
Batman being taller than robin is a comic fact and if you want to make a movie targetted for the whole world, then you have to keep your actors atleast somewhat faithfull to it's original source or the movie might get some problems with the original creators or the fans.

I doubt you have a broad knowledge about movies, seeing that you probably have never heard of those lower budget foreign moves. Like the "Turkish batman", "Indian Superman", "Turkish Spiderman" or the "Japanese Spiderman" . Eventhough these are not hollywood productions, it still won't change the fact that people who are not caucasian can be casted in American comic book adaptions.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-01-15 at 10:16.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 14:48   Link #54
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Appearances can be deceiving, i think you know that saying. Not every person with a specific look has a fixed personality.
Like in anime, not every twin tailed person is a Tsundere, not every old man has to be either a pervert or some kind of martial arts master or not every childhood friend has to be a bishoujo. You are linking personality and looks too much together. Like i have said before, you looking at things at a way too shallow perspective.

I have no idea in what culture you live that women who are smaller than yourself more attractive than the one who are taller than yourself, but i find a small height not one of an issue when it comes to beauty. In fact most people find taller women more attractive. Also i find it insulting to all the men in the world who have girlfriends or wives that are taller than themselves.
Also finding a women in japan who are taller than Kyon (who probably has a height of around 170cm )is quite slim.
No matter how you look , you will still get pushed around if you still act docile. Haruhi is still the kind of person who still bully her if Mikuru won't stand up to her (which she won't due her personality)

I did say if the changes were not all too drastic, if Yuki's hair stands out too much compared to normal people i would call this change too drastic.

Eventhough I think pink hair won't stand out too much seeing that she already has an unsual purple hair colour and there is also a green haired Tsuruya.
edit: almost forgot about the blue haired Asakura or the also green haired Kimidori. Those are also not a common colours.

Also about your statement about bald Itsuki being less of an bishi, are you implying that bald people are less attractive?

Batman being taller than robin is a comic fact and if you want to make a movie targetted for the whole world, then you have to keep your actors atleast somewhat faithfull to it's original source or the movie might get some problems with the original creators or the fans.

I doubt you have a broad knowledge about movies, seeing that you probably have never heard of those lower budget foreign moves. Like the "Turkish batman", "Indian Superman", "Turkish Spiderman" or the "Japanese Spiderman" . Eventhough these are not hollywood productions, it still won't change the fact that people who are not caucasian can be casted in American comic book adaptions.
You sound like you are making things personal and attacking me instead of the argument. For one, I can gladly boast that I have watched thousands of films, mostly being an international selection of animation as I'm an animator. But I've also watched Enthiran, seen trailers of King Khan's super hero movie, as well as videos of the tokusatsu Spider-Man.

I'm not going to argue with you much, nor do I have the time to do so, which is why I've been keeping my posts as general as I can.

The fact that you think completely different from what I do about the characters proves my point that appearance is a very significant factor.

Viewpoints
Uta Hagen's Nine Questions
12 principles of animation

I'm an animator, we have to learn acting in order to create realistic characters, we need to know how the physical architecture of a character affects the spatial relationship between him and other characters and objects. We need to know what kind of gesture a character of certain physique and personality has. What kind of topology in his walk, whats the differences in the stride of a man, a woman, tall, short, fat, skinny, or when he's angry, sad, happy?

How would a happy fat man walk down a rocky path while carrying a crate of beer and listening to his ipod look like? What's the tempo of his walk? What's the shape he creates and how would he affect other people when he is walking pass them, what kind of kinesthetic response would he have if he bumps into someone else? Replace the character with others and they will all act differently, no 2 people in the world will have the same behaviour, I haven't even touched on the character's personality. Just a character's appearance and physique can determine how he will act and how others will respond to him.

I can go on elaborating more, in fact it will take several months of classes of talking, but I simply have no time nowadays. You can think I'm shallow or anything, but I'd rather put more of my effort into my work.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 15:36   Link #55
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You sound like you are making things personal and attacking me instead of the argument. For one, I can gladly boast that I have watched thousands of films, mostly being an international selection of animation as I'm an animator. But I've also watched Enthiran, seen trailers of King Khan's super hero movie, as well as videos of the tokusatsu Spider-Man.

I'm not going to argue with you much, nor do I have the time to do so, which is why I've been keeping my posts as general as I can.

The fact that you think completely different from what I do about the characters proves my point that appearance is a very significant factor.

Viewpoints
Uta Hagen's Nine Questions
12 principles of animation

I'm an animator, we have to learn acting in order to create realistic characters, we need to know how the physical architecture of a character affects the spatial relationship between him and other characters and objects. We need to know what kind of gesture a character of certain physique and personality has. What kind of topology in his walk, whats the differences in the stride of a man, a woman, tall, short, fat, skinny, or when he's angry, sad, happy?

How would a happy fat man walk down a rocky path while carrying a crate of beer and listening to his ipod look like? What's the tempo of his walk? What's the shape he creates and how would he affect other people when he is walking pass them, what kind of kinesthetic response would he have if he bumps into someone else? Replace the character with others and they will all act differently, no 2 people in the world will have the same behaviour, I haven't even touched on the character's personality. Just a character's appearance and physique can determine how he will act and how others will respond to him.

I can go on elaborating more, in fact it will take several months of classes of talking, but I simply have no time nowadays. You can think I'm shallow or anything, but I'd rather put more of my effort into my work.
Your original point was that even a single difference can effect alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

But even so, just a single difference or change in appearance can affect alot. If Haruhi had thick eyebrows, Kyon has long hair, Mikuru is taller than Kyon, Yuki has pink hair and Itsuki is bald, the dynamics of the entire story would change.
I on the other hand disagreed, unless the change is extreme. Your example of a fat guy or a skinny guy walking is probably very nice animation wise, but would that make characters behave differently for the plot of a story?
Ikari Shinji still wouldn't be less of a whiner if he had blond hair or Asuka would still be cocky, rash etc. if she would had short Hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Sorry, but can you explain why changing the appearance of some characters would have changed the dynamics of a story? Personally i think changing the personality traits of characters would have a bigger impact on the story rather than the appearance though, unless the change is extreme (like a gender change, but that would probably also effect the personality a little)
So far none of your points have persuaded me that a single change would effect the dynamics of a story. I had made some counter arguments against your examples of Mikuru, Itsuki and Yuki.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-01-15 at 15:47.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 16:22   Link #56
Rinnel
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Shanks One Piece:


Gildarts, Fairy Tail:


Same physical appearance, same personality..... !
__________________
Rinnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 07:16   Link #57
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
It's really not all that surprising, since the author of Fairy Tail's style of drawing is almost EXACTLY like that of One Piece (IMO).
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 05:12   Link #58
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Spoiler for Runo Misaki from Bakugan:

and
Spoiler for Miku Hatsune:


I could say they're like Light and Dark.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2012-01-27 at 05:37.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 10:11   Link #59
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Light yagami-
http://images1.fanpop.com/images/pho...53-371-371.jpg
Seto kaiba
http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_im...andthewind.jpg

Soichiro yagami
http://www.usaanime.us/HeroTourney/Pics/Soichiro.jpg
Gozaburo kaiba
http://images-mediawiki-sites.theful...3116064261.jpg

Riko mine from aria the scarlet ammo
http://static.zerochan.net/full/07/06/592807.jpg
Miu takanashi from papa no iukoto wo kikinasai
http://static.zerochan.net/full/13/20/991013.jpg

Medaka kurokami from medaka box
http://sugoi.animeblogs.ru/wp-conten...aka-box-03.jpg
Rias gremory from high school dxd
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aXZUUreFEM...ory%2BRias.jpg
__________________
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 12:54   Link #60
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kitch-Water and T.O., Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
I think I'm being Mr. Obvious here, but...
Spoiler for you know it:
Oh yeah? Well:



/Terribad

Captain Obvious was here. I think I need to cleanse myself in flame.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.