AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Episode 02 Rating
Perfect 10 44 36.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 24.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.83%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-15, 02:08   Link #41
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
^ Needless to say, it's prone to get 'dirty' really fast...
When I played with my Korean friends for all night during school camp, I ended up kissing someone's leg, chick, arm and butt regardless of gender, saying dirty jokes, making false scandal and found myself trying to punish others with even dirtier orders.

Yep. Na-dek-ho really chose right game to play.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:12   Link #42
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
OK. Is this seriously Nisio Isin anymore? What the hell happened to the quality of writing and dialogue this story usually supplies? This is quite frankly the worst monogatari episode I ever seen. In fact, it's the worst piece of anything Nisio Isin I've ever seen. This wasn't even passable entertainment.

I realize Bake was never the deepest of stories. I'm not expecting to be blown off my feet with little nuances and extremely deep characters. Still though, Bake always maintained a semblance of a cohesive narrative structure to each arc, and the story overall. In fact, just last episode this was done exceptionally well with how we were starting to frame Araragi's troubles with his sisters because he retains characteristics of a vampire and how he balances being pulled into the world of the supernatural with his own humanity. We also found out how Araragi apparently got trapped in some situation with Hitagi and that apparently he was in some sort of danger, making us interesting in finding out what happens next. The dialogue last episode was also spot on and funny.

But this episode... Dear lord. What happened? I had to keep pausing and rewinding to pay attention to the dialogue because it was so utterly dull.

Am I to believe that this entire episode basically revolved around Nadeko trying to get into Araragi's pants and Kanbaru stripping for him? Is this the witty interactions and fun adventures that was there just LAST episode? Yeah, fanservice has always been present in this story, but fanservice hasn't always overwhelmed the story like this...

I don't know, this was just so utterly forgettable to me.

The only moment this episode I liked was Araragi interacting with his sister... The dialogue a lot better there, and was an overall fun introduction to her character.

Unfortunately I will have to say that Nadeko's appeal as an innocent little shy girl, essentially just a moe blob, was tossed out the window this episode as well. She was really perverted this episode, but also I hate her new look. Where's that damn hat .

Hoping this was a small hiccup. Really, terrible episode.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:24   Link #43
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
OK. Is this seriously Nisio Isin anymore? What the hell happened to the quality of writing and dialogue this story usually supplies? This is quite frankly the worst monogatari episode I ever seen. In fact, it's the worst piece of anything Nisio Isin I've ever seen. This wasn't even passable entertainment.
Ummm eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
But this episode... Dear lord. What happened? I had to keep pausing and rewinding to pay attention to the dialogue because it was so utterly dull.
... and how different it was from usual Araragi vs Kanbaru conversation we had in Bakemonogatari? I fail to notice the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah, fanservice has always been present in this story, but fanservice hasn't always overwhelmed the story like this...
Expected story from Nisemonogatari. Cool, wrong expectation there. What you should expect is infinite dialogues with very little amount of story and action going on, especially in Nisemonogatari. You still have Kizumonogatari if you want story. Beside, subtitle basically killed a lot of wittiness the dialogues had. If you are trying to judge without actually understanding it fully, well duh.

Plus, fanservice is 'FAN' -- 'SERVICE'. It's a 'SERVICE' to the 'FANS'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The only moment this episode I liked was Araragi interacting with his sister... The dialogue a lot better there, and was an overall fun introduction to her character.
I don't understand your 'standard' of defining 'better' dialogues. I mean, it really amuses me.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:40   Link #44
hoshino_crimsonwings
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
I thought it was an excellent episode, just wish there'll be some action with the 2 sisters soon.
__________________
hoshino_crimsonwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:41   Link #45
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
OK. Is this seriously Nisio Isin anymore? What the hell happened to the quality of writing and dialogue this story usually supplies? This is quite frankly the worst monogatari episode I ever seen. In fact, it's the worst piece of anything Nisio Isin I've ever seen. This wasn't even passable entertainment.

I realize Bake was never the deepest of stories. I'm not expecting to be blown off my feet with little nuances and extremely deep characters. Still though, Bake always maintained a semblance of a cohesive narrative structure to each arc, and the story overall. In fact, just last episode this was done exceptionally well with how we were starting to frame Araragi's troubles with his sisters because he retains characteristics of a vampire and how he balances being pulled into the world of the supernatural with his own humanity. We also found out how Araragi apparently got trapped in some situation with Hitagi and that apparently he was in some sort of danger, making us interesting in finding out what happens next. The dialogue last episode was also spot on and funny.

But this episode... Dear lord. What happened? I had to keep pausing and rewinding to pay attention to the dialogue because it was so utterly dull.

Am I to believe that this entire episode basically revolved around Nadeko trying to get into Araragi's pants and Kanbaru stripping for him? Is this the witty interactions and fun adventures that was there just LAST episode? Yeah, fanservice has always been present in this story, but fanservice hasn't always overwhelmed the story like this...

I don't know, this was just so utterly forgettable to me.

The only moment this episode I liked was Araragi interacting with his sister... The dialogue a lot better there, and was an overall fun introduction to her character.

Unfortunately I will have to say that Nadeko's appeal as an innocent little shy girl, essentially just a moe blob, was tossed out the window this episode as well. She was really perverted this episode, but also I hate her new look. Where's that damn hat .

Hoping this was a small hiccup. Really, terrible episode.
Let me explain a little bit about this series as a whole so that you might understand why this episode appeared in the way it did. The Monogatari series as far as I can tell was supposed to be Nisio's "do whatever he wants" series. What I mean by this is that he could write everything that he usually couldn't write in his other series. Everyone have said that Araragi is basically a self-insert of Nisio. This is also the reason why the books alway mentioned on how it's impossible to animate. (Too hardcore for television) The irony is that the one series Nisio was willing to mess around with got animated while the series that put his name on the map (Zaregoto) is still only in book form.

Now let's talk about why this episode had the scenes that you saw. Basically it's Nisio not giving a fuck. When he was writing this particular volume back in 08 he intended to end the series in Nise 2. Of course you see him leaving loose ends untie so he could come back if he wanted to but generally he wanted to finish everything. He probably heard from his editor about the anime at the time but at the same time he probably didn't expect much. This of course continued his series of "not giving a fuck".

Truthfully, if you looked at all twelve books out right now, Nise would be considered the weak ones since Nisio probably is just writing for the lolz. All I can say is be patient. Just know in the end things do get better.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:54   Link #46
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
... and how different it was from usual Araragi vs Kanbaru conversation we had in Bakemonogatari? I fail to notice the difference.
Previous interactions not boiled in such extremity. Kanbaru not fully stripping. That's a start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Expected story from Nisemonogatari. Cool, wrong expectation there. What you should expect is infinite dialogues with very little amount of story and action going on, especially in Nisemonogatari. You still have Kizumonogatari if you want story. Beside, subtitle basically killed a lot of wittiness the dialogues had. If you are trying to judge without actually understanding it fully, well duh.
I don't suppose you actually read my post did you.

Let me do your own reading comprehension for you!!!

"I realize Bake was never the deepest of stories."

Oh so I realize Monogatari is meant to be simply a fun story with fun dialogue and fun interactions! Zomg!!!!

"Still though, Bake always maintained a semblance of a cohesive narrative structure to each arc, and the story overall."

Oh man, I just wanted this arc to have a little bit more of a guiding hand! I just felt this was screwing around with senseless stuff even for Bake standards!

"Am I to believe that this entire episode basically revolved around Nadeko trying to get into Araragi's pants and Kanbaru stripping for him? Is this the witty interactions and fun adventures that was there just LAST episode?"

Maybe, just maybe, I had expectations that Bake usually was a little more crafty, witty, and had just a little more class than what was given this episode.

Oh but I must be too ignorant to understand this episode. I get it, I get it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Plus, fanservice is 'FAN' -- 'SERVICE'. It's a 'SERVICE' to the 'FANS'.
No obviously they call it fan service because they believed it would be anti-service to the fans.

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I don't understand your 'standard' of defining 'better' dialogues. I mean, it really amuses me.
Frames the story arc or furthers character exposition/development. Possibly pulls something amusing with some more interesting word play, this episode kind of failed at it. Doesn't rely on simply trying to outdo itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Let me explain a little bit about this series as a whole so that you might understand why this episode appeared in the way it did. The Monogatari series as far as I can tell was supposed to be Nisio's "do whatever he wants" series. What I mean by this is that he could write everything that he usually couldn't write in his other series. *snip*
This is fine. I always took Monogatari as a more of a basic entertainment level sort of series. It's just normally I always expected Nisio to be a little more structured that what we got here. I also thought he was just a bit heavy handed with the interactions this episode. It was basically no better than something like Maken-Ki, some trashy ecchi show, because I found everything about this episode to just be quite lacking. Hopefully for me this was just a small blip.

I guess I've just seen much better from him that this.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 03:00   Link #47
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Come on, don't act like the girls in this series never stripping for no reason

That is like pattern from previous season.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 03:20   Link #48
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
DAYUM! Kanbaru's fucking hot. That part where she was grabbing on to arararagi; I'm gonna go doujin hunting lol

Sadly as an episode it was worthless, and I feel harsh today so 1/10

Edit: On second thought, Karen has potential...
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-01-15 at 03:47.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 04:42   Link #49
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Are all the little details Shaft animates in the background or character actions mentioned in the novel as well, or is it just added in?

Like Sengoku bolting the door, or in episode one, where Araragi throws the remote(?) and his sister tries to reach for it and falls over.
Tsukihi did throw the remote, and Araragi catched it and put it back on the table. Sengoku did bolt the door. Araragi commented she was reliable enough in crime prevention. This as part of a series of comments where he viewed Sengoku as a child. Mind that Sengoku also locked even the door of her room. By the way, she even hid Araragi's shoes just in case so her parents wouldn't find out.

What was invented was the "cream pie" of the previous episode. Araragi simply recognized he had gone too far and got up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
In fact, just last episode this was done exceptionally well with how we were starting to frame Araragi's troubles with his sisters because he retains characteristics of a vampire and how he balances being pulled into the world of the supernatural with his own humanity. We also found out how Araragi apparently got trapped in some situation with Hitagi and that apparently he was in some sort of danger, making us interesting in finding out what happens next. The dialogue last episode was also spot on and funny.
You didn't notice, but the story actually advanced even in this episode. Nadeko mentioned that the matter the Fire Sisters are involved with is the "charms" Nadeko suffered from, and that they were searching for the one who spread the charms around. Nadeko was objectively the best character Araragi could get this info from. All the rest was something funny to fill the chapter.

Then we saw Karen, and we learned that the matter would be over by evening, implying they had found the person they were searching for. Araragi being slightly worried is an ominous foreshadowing.

It is still early for the viewer to get the importance of visiting Kanbaru, but there is one, I assure you. All the pieces of the puzzle are falling in line.

As you can see the story progressed solidly. There is indeed a lot of fanservice, even more than Bake, but you got rosy memories if you think Bake didn't have any. This was also in line with the characters, as Nadeko for example liked being seen with a swimsuit by Araragi, and Kanbaru as a self-styled pervert had to walk the talk eventually. The part with Nadeko was even more funny in the novel, as Araragi was superdense and there are all his thoughts about how he viewed Nadeko as a child.

And by the way, the fanservice has nothing to do with the worth of an anime. This is an immature thought even I had years ago. The fact is that you are not deep, wise and mature because of the things you watch, but because of who you are. The Monogatari series is actually well written, and I say this after reading the novels.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:10   Link #50
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
And by the way, the fanservice has nothing to do with the worth of an anime. This is an immature thought even I had years ago. The fact is that you are not deep, wise and mature because of the things you watch, but because of who you are. The Monogatari series is actually well written, and I say this after reading the novels.
I agree with you! I've resisted all temptation to read the novel, but from watching the TV show I've yet to have problem with following the story. Episode 2, I thought was very clear with its intent. "Fanservice" shouldn't have created any distraction considering the tid-bits of information that are well placed. I understand it may be easy to get distracted with the sideshow (fanservice), but most of us here have already watched Bakemonogatari, so Isin's style of storytelling should be the main part of the discussion rather than the frivolous emphasis on fanservice. By concentrating on the "fanservice" the focus of the story is being shifted and as a result the clues are masking themselves from those fans. Perhaps, that's why some fans may not have been enjoying the series unlike Bakemonogatari. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't fail to recognize that the story is in full motion... that things are happening already, and how this might be connected to why Araragi was being held by Senjougahara in such fashion. Dialogue-wise, this episode was very good.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:43   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
For the people who thought Shaft cut the twister game.....it's not true. Everything shown in the episode was it. The chapter ended on Nadeko inviting him to play and then the next chapter started with her mom coming back home.
Oh, I naturally thought the twister game was what was cut short when I read your comment. What was it they left out then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Unfortunately I will have to say that Nadeko's appeal as an innocent little shy girl, essentially just a moe blob, was tossed out the window this episode as well. She was really perverted this episode, but also I hate her new look. Where's that damn hat
That's nothing new. She's always been a rather perverted girl underneath her pure and innocent facade. I'm not sure perverted is the right word, she's just aware of her sex appeal and is using it to get what she wants (which is Araragi's love, not (only) his dick). That's part of why we love her so much: she isn't a typical moe blob. It's simply becoming more apparent now that she has decided to be more aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Tsukihi did throw the remote, and Araragi catched it and put it back on the table. Sengoku did bolt the door. Araragi commented she was reliable enough in crime prevention. This as part of a series of comments where he viewed Sengoku as a child. Mind that Sengoku also locked even the door of her room. By the way, she even hid Araragi's shoes just in case so her parents wouldn't find out.
Hahaha
I wish they had kept that line in. He was completely oblivious to what she was trying to do, wasn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
You didn't notice, but the story actually advanced even in this episode. Nadeko mentioned that the matter the Fire Sisters are involved with is the "charms" Nadeko suffered from, and that they were searching for the one who spread the charms around. Nadeko was objectively the best character Araragi could get this info from. All the rest was something funny to fill the chapter.
Even I who was completely bewitched by Nadeko didn't fail to notice she provided some important information about the fire sisters' current situation. This episode strongly hinted Karen will get into trouble with whoever was indirectly (?) responsible for Nadeko's predicament in Bake. I'd like to add that Nadeko's feelings for Araragi are also part of the story, so there's nothing with wrong with spending time on her attempts to seduce him, especially when she looks so cute doing so. While it obviously isn't the focus of this arc, I'm sure it's something the story will deal with seriously at some point.

I bet whatever is in Nadeko's closet will be important too. First time I've seen a closet with a digilock
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:49   Link #52
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Tsukihi did throw the remote, and Araragi catched it and put it back on the table. Sengoku did bolt the door. Araragi commented she was reliable enough in crime prevention. This as part of a series of comments where he viewed Sengoku as a child. Mind that Sengoku also locked even the door of her room. By the way, she even hid Araragi's shoes just in case so her parents wouldn't find out.

What was invented was the "cream pie" of the previous episode. Araragi simply recognized he had gone too far and got up.
You didn't notice, but the story actually advanced even in this episode. Nadeko mentioned that the matter the Fire Sisters are involved with is the "charms" Nadeko suffered from, and that they were searching for the one who spread the charms around. Nadeko was objectively the best character Araragi could get this info from. All the rest was something funny to fill the chapter.

Then we saw Karen, and we learned that the matter would be over by evening, implying they had found the person they were searching for. Araragi being slightly worried is an ominous foreshadowing.

It is still early for the viewer to get the importance of visiting Kanbaru, but there is one, I assure you. All the pieces of the puzzle are falling in line.

As you can see the story progressed solidly. There is indeed a lot of fanservice, even more than Bake, but you got rosy memories if you think Bake didn't have any. This was also in line with the characters, as Nadeko for example liked being seen with a swimsuit by Araragi, and Kanbaru as a self-styled pervert had to walk the talk eventually. The part with Nadeko was even more funny in the novel, as Araragi was superdense and there are all his thoughts about how he viewed Nadeko as a child.

And by the way, the fanservice has nothing to do with the worth of an anime. This is an immature thought even I had years ago. The fact is that you are not deep, wise and mature because of the things you watch, but because of who you are. The Monogatari series is actually well written, and I say this after reading the novels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I agree with you! I've resisted all temptation to read the novel, but from watching the TV show I've yet to have problem with following the story. Episode 2, I thought was very clear with its intent. "Fanservice" shouldn't have created any distraction considering the tid-bits of information that are well placed. I understand it may be easy to get distracted with the sideshow (fanservice), but most of us here have already watched Bakemonogatari, so Isin's style of storytelling should be the main part of the discussion rather than the frivolous emphasis on fanservice. By concentrating on the "fanservice" the focus of the story is being shifted and as a result the clues are masking themselves from those fans. Perhaps, that's why some fans may not have been enjoying the series unlike Bakemonogatari. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't fail to recognize that the story is in full motion... that things are happening already, and how this might be connected to why Araragi was being held by Senjougahara in such fashion. Dialogue-wise, this episode was very good.
Well first I must thank you both for not freaking the fuck out like some people seem to like to about criticism.

I'm quite aware of how Nisio Isin operates. I have recently rewatched Bake in the last few months so I don't have a particularly rosy memory about it.

I really am a very very big fan of everything Nisio Isin I've seen up to this point. Honestly, I'm quite shocked to find myself being critical of Nise so early.

Even in this episode I could tell things were moving, with Nadeko explaining something about his sisters and the charm, as well as the introduction scene of Karen. But that wasn't exactly my complaint.

I guess a lot of what missed the mark for me in this episode is that the character interactions were jarringly made more extreme in nature. Kanbaru was already very perverted, but she was like 30x more perverted in this episode. Nadeko was already trying to gain Koyomi's atttention, but in this peisode she practically was throwing her body at him.

So the dialogue just felt like a rehash but this time they just amplified certain things we already know and have seen and expected us to like it all the more. I guess this is not something i necessarily want to see in Monogatari. I don't want things to simply become more extreme in order to catch my attention but to try and keep everything fresher and new. That's why I didn't think the usual wit or quality in the dialogue was present. It almost felt lazy.

I also had problems with how they seem to have discarded Nadeko's original appeal. I thought she was supposed to be the cute, shy girl with a crush who bravely is trying to act on it in a clandestine manner... But in this episode she was practically throwing herself at him, her personality was almost completely different. I also just don't like her new character design haha.

As for the fanservice. Well, yes there has been tons of overt fanservice before. But I guess I felt it was already pushing the border of being fun and now it just feels like they want to completely make this an ecchi show or something. There's a limit to how much fanservice I am willing to tolerate in a series (It really isn't one of the reasons I enjoyed Bake, but I tolerated it), but for me this is pushing my comfort level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's nothing new. She's always been a rather perverted girl underneath her pure and innocent facade. I'm not sure perverted is the right word, she's just aware of her sex appeal and is using it to get what she wants (which is love, not dick). That's part of why we love her so much: she isn't a typical moe blob. It's simply becoming more apparent now that she has decided to be more aggressive.
Perhaps I didn't pay well enough attention then... Maybe I just want the hat back xD.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:56   Link #53
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Hold on guys, concerning Nadeko, I wrote it in the previous episode, she is a inexperienced and naive middle school girl in love with her senpai, she is going to be sloppy in her attempt to seduce him, and the anime has visualized exactly that... and do not forget that both anime and novel could have been way more graphical if their objective was to sell on objectifying the emerging sexuality of a teenager, but didn't.

For Karen I have no freaking clue which pervert can find the sweating abdomen of a girl doing handstands sexy, if nothing else it shows how tomboyish she is! and for the pervs that are tantalized by it, they need a psychologist, not censors

Finally, I am amazed that people are shocked by Kanbaru being nude (if nothing else she made several clever comments about it to Koyomi, but in fact targeted the salivating audience), and after stripping him it was more then clear how the same action can be viewed totally differently depending on the commentator (Mayoi reference from the previous episode).

The episode was excellent, enforced some and developed other characters, and within two episodes reintroduced the cast (unfortunately skipping my two favorites), while setting the stage for the sisters' plot-line.

Now for the nonsense context mentioned, I would say both yes and no. Indeed, it feels like the author was really aggressive when writing the series in the sense that he broke some stereotypes that others follow. But I disagree in the sense that he created a very compelling cast of characters with strong chemistry between all of them, not only the protagonist and each girl, but between the girls too... Suruga/Hitagi, Hitagi/Tsubasa, Karen/Tsukihi/Nadeko, Mayoi/Hitagi, Tsubasa/Shinobu.

In addition, the stories themselves are character-centered, there is no greater or overlapping plot, he picks a theme and a main character, explores and develops it loyally, and all things considered deeply. It might be hard to appreciate for people coming from sci-fi or fantasy, I understand that, but it does not make it worthless, just different. That in addition to presenting events from certain perspectives, which makes storytelling even more compelling, at least for me

PS: I have not read Nisemonogatari, still struggling with Kizumonogatari, which is bloody hard to read, yet unbelievably funny when I can put kanji and grammar aids aside
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:56   Link #54
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
As you can see the story progressed solidly. There is indeed a lot of fanservice, even more than Bake, but you got rosy memories if you think Bake didn't have any. This was also in line with the characters, as Nadeko for example liked being seen with a swimsuit by Araragi, and Kanbaru as a self-styled pervert had to walk the talk eventually. The part with Nadeko was even more funny in the novel, as Araragi was superdense and there are all his thoughts about how he viewed Nadeko as a child.

And by the way, the fanservice has nothing to do with the worth of an anime. This is an immature thought even I had years ago. The fact is that you are not deep, wise and mature because of the things you watch, but because of who you are. The Monogatari series is actually well written, and I say this after reading the novels.
I don't think anyone sensible could argue that Bakemongtari had no significant fanservice (first 5 seconds is obvious) So yes, fanservice, in itself shouldn't affect the worth of an anime. But it is the prioritization of various kinds of fanservice over other aspects of the plot that can get to people. The episode has to work as a whole-- and fanservice is just one of many factors when watching something.

Though it's a hilarious irony in here that I actually enjoyed the fanservice for half the episode. In fact if I were to complain about fanservice, I might even been complaining there wasn't enough. (Damn books blocking the view--- though some argue it's better to leave things to the imagination). But as an example itself, that despite the plot relevance of the affairs, that I just find the whole Nadeko scene to extremely boring and completely suck the enjoyment out of my episode. And it was long.

But it's fine. I enjoy this series for reasons that are probably different from many, and will just see this as a small roadblock.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 06:28   Link #55
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oh, I naturally thought the twister game was what was cut short when I read your comment. What was it they left out then?


In terms of Nadeko's aggressiveness:
-She won't turn on the air-con because it'll cause global warming
-What she is a actually doing is using the earth as a hostage to get Araragi to take off his clothes
-She also only brings one cup to her room so that they have to share
-She tries to get him drunk by feeding him highly-carbonate cola and alcohol-filled choclates
-She owns a MSX2
-When she left her room to get "Game of Life" she told Araragi to look at her photo album
-She took a long time to come back and was disappointed when she saw that it didn't move
-She wasn't wearing a bra (but you guys saw that already in the episode)
-Instead of Koyomi-oniichan she wants to call him "anata"
-Araragi thinks she meant it as "you" but she meant "dear" or "honey"
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 08:19   Link #56
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What was it they left out then?
Aside from what omimon mentioned about Nadeko...

-When Araragi gave a "little lariat" to Karen, he thought it seemed as he had a superior sense of balance compared to Karen, as he withstood a low kick to the face while doing a handstand.
-Karen's phone tone was the theme of "Enter the dragon" (which in Japanese is "Burn, dragon").
-During his phone conversation with Kanbaru, Araragi actually asked the gods to punish his junior. Directly after that Kanbaru was seen naked by her grandmother. This is why Araragi felt he had to take responsibility, although he didn't dare mentioning he asked for divine punishment.
-Araragi mentions he goes twice a month helping Kanbaru cleaning her room. He doesn't know why but every time he visits the room was back as before.
-Araragi dug from Kanbaru's heaps of trash a digital camera. He was surprised, as he knew Kanbaru was not good with electronics. Kanbaru replies there are times when you need such a thing like a digital camera, for example when taking pictures of your own nudes. Kanbaru also says there are nude photos of first year's kittens in there, and that Araragi can have a look. By that time Araragi no longer believed Kanbaru, so he refused thinking it was just photos of cats, although Kanbaru insists she prepared for Araragi a surprise whose keywords were "first year" and "breast".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
So the dialogue just felt like a rehash but this time they just amplified certain things we already know and have seen and expected us to like it all the more.
By the time Nisio wrote Nise, he was supposed to end the series there. Accordingly to that:
-Araragi and Senjougahara's relationship progressed pretty fast.
-We managed to see all girls in Nise as a bonus compared to the previous arcs.
-The characters were one-upping themselves.

Then Nisio got the OK for more books, so he took a more laid-back approach. Anyway, it all makes sense if you were to think the series was going to end. The characters had to be extreme to leave an impression on the reader, because that would have been the last he'd have seen of them.
Quote:
I also had problems with how they seem to have discarded Nadeko's original appeal. I thought she was supposed to be the cute, shy girl with a crush who bravely is trying to act on it in a clandestine manner... But in this episode she was practically throwing herself at him, her personality was almost completely different.
She was able to kill snakes and chop them to pieces. She is pretty resourceful when she is desperate, and it doesn't happen very often that Araragi visits her house. She was still acting in a clandestine manner though, it's just that Araragi was superdense and all her efforts were in vein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
PS: I have not read Nisemonogatari, still struggling with Kizumonogatari, which is bloody hard to read, yet unbelievably funny when I can put kanji and grammar aids aside
My method is using a txt version so I can check kanji with a dictionary program. It simplifies a lot the process. Also you can try reading Kizu from bakatsuki and comparing it to the Japanese text. There may be errors, but it should give you an idea of the sense.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 08:31   Link #57
teja208
Critical fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere with anime and anime discussion is fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
For the people who thought Shaft cut the twister game.....it's not true. Everything shown in the episode was it. The chapter ended on Nadeko inviting him to play and then the next chapter started with her mom coming back home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
In terms of Nadeko's aggressiveness:
-She won't turn on the air-con because it'll cause global warming
-What she is a actually doing is using the earth as a hostage to get Araragi to take off his clothes
-She also only brings one cup to her room so that they have to share
-She tries to get him drunk by feeding him highly-carbonate cola and alcohol-filled choclates
-She owns a MSX2
-When she left her room to get "Game of Life" she told Araragi to look at her photo album
-She took a long time to come back and was disappointed when she saw that it didn't move
-She wasn't wearing a bra (but you guys saw that already in the episode)
-Instead of Koyomi-oniichan she wants to call him "anata"
-Araragi thinks she meant it as "you" but she meant "dear" or "honey"
If that is all there is regarding what happen in Nadeko's section, then how did Koyomi escapes the wrath of Nadeko's mom?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 08:39   Link #58
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
If that is all there is regarding what happen in Nadeko's section, then how did Koyomi escapes the wrath of Nadeko's mom?
Nadeko's mom didn't even know a boy was there in the first place, and Sengoku even hid Araragi's shoes, so there were no traces left. If it's just one person, you can distract her bringing her away from the entrance while the other sneaks out.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 10:28   Link #59
com_gwp
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Same complains as the first episode, and furthermore, that accursed return of the KURO slides!

Sigh, I get the feeling next week's gonna be the same with Hitagi and Hanekawa in the spotlight. Will we actually have to wait another 2 more weeks for the plot to kick in?

Karen OP was...hella impressive. Wonder how much of the budget was blown on that, it was one heck of a visual treat. Claris's ED on the other hand was a step down from the awesome Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-01-15 at 10:47.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 10:33   Link #60
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
Ah Nadeko~ I pity the fool who you set your sights on after Araragi... He won't last even 3 minutes.

And Kanbaru...

This played out perfectly as an eroge gamescript... Visit the house of a younger girl who has a crush on you and...*bonk* then go to the house of the best friend of your girlfriend to help her clean up and....*bonk*
I mean, one doesn't even have to think to come up with that senario based off this episode...
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.