AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-24, 22:11   Link #2081
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Well, we've come to a point where -- all this "investment" isn't doing very much to help the economy anyways.
Yeah, most of the issues in the money world today is that investments are no longer invested; they are gambled away on risky bets after leveraging, with money sucked out by hidden fees to make the managers rich, and when things go bad they get government bailouts.

If you want to reward and encourage investments, then do so; but only on real investments that generate GDP. The most profitable investments today generate no GDP at all, so it doesn't help anyone but money managers.

EDIT: This reminded me of a silly children's tale:
A married couple opened up a drinks stand on the road side in hopes of enticing thirsty travellers. Yet for the first few hours, only one man bought something. There was only 5 dollars in the money box.
Then the husband got thirsty, and suggested that he would buy a drink from his wife using the 5 dollars. "Why not? Your five dollars is still five dollars", said the wife.
But then the wife got thirsty too, and proceeded to purchase a drink from her husband for the same 5 dollars.
The cycle repeats as it got hotter and hotter...


You can see where I am going with this. When the sun went down and it was time to pack up, they have completed depicted their stock of drinks; but they still only had the same 5 dollars to show for it.

Investment banking is frightening because it is almost like that these days. Trading in things that don't really exist, that don't make anything or produce anything. With dubious valuations. All the while each trade removes fees so there is less money than they started.
__________________

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2012-01-24 at 22:34.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 22:34   Link #2082
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Reducing the investment tax?..

*Silent Implosion*

Are they even trying to be subtle about this anymore? We're not talking about money being invested in an actual business asset that produces goods or even a service, we're talking about money being invested in an account, in a fund, in a trust and being leveraged to produce more money via interest.

The idea that this is going to do anything but replicate the bad practices of the 08 crisis is absurd. The idea that people like Romney could benefit from this and pay even less effective tax than normal workers (They already pay less currently!) is so infuriating I need to douse my head under cold water. Right now.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 08:58   Link #2083
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah, most of the issues in the money world today is that investments are no longer invested; they are gambled away on risky bets after leveraging, with money sucked out by hidden fees to make the managers rich, and when things go bad they get government bailouts.

If you want to reward and encourage investments, then do so; but only on real investments that generate GDP. The most profitable investments today generate no GDP at all, so it doesn't help anyone but money managers.

EDIT: This reminded me of a silly children's tale:
A married couple opened up a drinks stand on the road side in hopes of enticing thirsty travellers. Yet for the first few hours, only one man bought something. There was only 5 dollars in the money box.
Then the husband got thirsty, and suggested that he would buy a drink from his wife using the 5 dollars. "Why not? Your five dollars is still five dollars", said the wife.
But then the wife got thirsty too, and proceeded to purchase a drink from her husband for the same 5 dollars.
The cycle repeats as it got hotter and hotter...


You can see where I am going with this. When the sun went down and it was time to pack up, they have completed depicted their stock of drinks; but they still only had the same 5 dollars to show for it.

Investment banking is frightening because it is almost like that these days. Trading in things that don't really exist, that don't make anything or produce anything. With dubious valuations. All the while each trade removes fees so there is less money than they started.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with trading, because it is an art that has been around since the start of civilisation before "precious" metals were discovered. It is based on the concept of what you want is worth how much to you.

In modern times with the electronic stock exchange, trading made the market more liquid and excessively difficult for rich assholes to hoard supplies through the usage of commodity (future) contracts and international trade allowed the flow of alternative material/goods to supplant normal goods, driving them down once someone starts hoarding.

The problem is with derivatives (portfolio funds), and to a certain extent, equity contracts. Some idiot lawmaker had to legalise putting together a group of stocks and company shares as a package, then selling parts of the package as "low risk as diversification reduces risk of owning individual stocks".

The f***ing problem is that you, the buyers, are not managing the risk, the portfolio manager is, and you don't even personally know the portfolio manager, so how can "diversified risk" be considered "reduced risk" in this case? Our dorsolateral cortexes have been hijacked by some nut promising "financial freedom" and begging you to put your money with him/her, only to abscond with it and spend on luxuries.

Financial freedom does exist. But like any other freedom, it is anything but free; it is a personal thing which one has to get his/her hands dirty for because it belongs and is defined by oneself.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 10:43   Link #2084
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
what are yall's opinion about Keystone XL being shelved by Obama?

from one side...

IT'S JOBS! WE NEED MORE JOBS!

from the other side...

it's a country-wide disaster waiting to happen and not worth the risk
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 11:23   Link #2085
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
I watched the SOTU address.
Obama didn't really say anything new IMO.

FACT CHECK: Obama pushes plans that flopped before

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120125/D9SFO48G0.html
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 11:50   Link #2086
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
I need to brush up on politics more...damn laziness.

Ran that article by some other people, one of them wasn't too thrilled to read it, mainly from a journalistic perspective.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 12:29   Link #2087
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
I need to brush up on politics more...damn laziness.

Ran that article by some other people, one of them wasn't too thrilled to read it, mainly from a journalistic perspective.
Not surprising, it seems like journalism is more or less dead in the US.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion right now that if Mitt Romney wins the GOP nomination our choices will be:

Obamney verses Mitrack.

Either way we're screwed.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 12:35   Link #2088
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I watched the SOTU address.
Obama didn't really say anything new IMO.

FACT CHECK: Obama pushes plans that flopped before

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120125/D9SFO48G0.html
"Flopped" means failed to pass the Congress before here (e.g. ending oil subsidies). The choice of word is not entirely incorrect but it is deceiving. A few of the fact checks sound more like nitpicking to me.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 12:45   Link #2089
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Not surprising, it seems like journalism is more or less dead in the US.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion right now that if Mitt Romney wins the GOP nomination our choices will be:

Obamney verses Mitrack.

Either way we're screwed.
Our only choice: Which one is less batshit insane?
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 12:53   Link #2090
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
Our only choice: Which one is less batshit insane?
Yikes!
That's a tough one to measure.
I'll need my political micrometer to determine that, since this election is quickly becoming a coin-toss of "tails, Wall Street wins, Heads, we lose."
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 14:27   Link #2091
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
what are yall's opinion about Keystone XL being shelved by Obama?

from one side...

IT'S JOBS! WE NEED MORE JOBS!

from the other side...

it's a country-wide disaster waiting to happen and not worth the risk
The so-called "jobs" are short-term and specific, and would mostly be filled by people who already have jobs.
The economic losses to farmland, ecological resources, personal property loss and damage - are enormous.
We *already* get oil/gas from that direction - it goes through other pipes and delivery trucks.

The XL pipeline is pretty much a boondoggle that channels a lot of money into a very few pockets... pockets that show no sign of investing it back in either the corporations or the country.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 14:32   Link #2092
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
I wonder if the potential (not of the pipeline) of this change in the oil industry will profit the country, and get us out from needing OPEC or the Middle East in general.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 15:24   Link #2093
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I have learned that many people will prefer to believe the negative and ignorant opinions they hold of a person or organization because to do otherwise is to INVALIDATE their bias.

Because they do not want to risk being shown to be wrong or stupid or racists or any other form of ignorant incubation, they persist in their negative and unfounded assertions.

I have seen where even tho you explain facts to certain people, and they listen and seem to nod their head in ag4reement, they quickly revert to their ignorance because they simply cannot afford to be wrong.

Sure they will say at that moment and time when talking with you, that you may be right, but until ONE OF THEIR OWN tells them the same thing you say (because your an outsider and cant be trusted or your misguided) they will revert.

Reasonable Jim: The Earth is round here is the proof.

Fearful Bob: OK. Looks like you were right.

Authority Ted: Hey Bob, those round worlder's are at it again. They digitally created pictures of the earth from the so called space shuttle. Don't they know we know the space shuttle can't be real ?

Fearful Bob: Whew... Thank GOD. We are onto their tricks ! *for a minute I was affraid I might be on the wrong side.

AKA

THE LOOSING SIDE.

Fact is. No one wants to be on the loosing/looser/incorrect team.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 16:05   Link #2094
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
As an aside, that is one of my few buttons I think...the Flat Earth Society. More so that the conspiracy theorists about the moon landing...the Flat Earth Society gets me going because I know better and have seen proof from flying in small civilian aircraft. Actually if you go to a high enough lonely mountain you can see the curvature of the Earth.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 16:22   Link #2095
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As an aside, that is one of my few buttons I think...the Flat Earth Society. More so that the conspiracy theorists about the moon landing...the Flat Earth Society gets me going because I know better and have seen proof from flying in small civilian aircraft. Actually if you go to a high enough lonely mountain you can see the curvature of the Earth.
Sometimes people maintain their ignorance deliberately because they know that to prove them wrong would be incredibly expensive... or near impossible.

1. Go back in time to the place and date of Obama's birth.

2. Take a man on a rocket orbit the earth and show him the sphere he denies.


I think if Obama had served in the military, it would have been easier on him to day.

I think a lot of objectors are at him because he is an non-white academic, and they distrust non-white academics (perceived as dangerous intellectuals).

I have heard of gaijin getting cold shoulders in Japan if they speak the language fluently... especially by right wingers.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 16:38   Link #2096
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As an aside, that is one of my few buttons I think...the Flat Earth Society. More so that the conspiracy theorists about the moon landing...the Flat Earth Society gets me going because I know better and have seen proof from flying in small civilian aircraft. Actually if you go to a high enough lonely mountain you can see the curvature of the Earth.
Weren't they some kind of joke? Or did the joke somehow get away from its creators to take on a terrible life of its own?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 16:51   Link #2097
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
No idea. Heard about them in high school over 15 years ago.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 18:20   Link #2098
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
what are yall's opinion about Keystone XL being shelved by Obama?

from one side...

IT'S JOBS! WE NEED MORE JOBS!

from the other side...

it's a country-wide disaster waiting to happen and not worth the risk
I have no qualms about it being set back. I don't think it would generate many long-term jobs (unless an environmental disaster happened - then the government would be paying for people to monitor and clean it up). The pipeline would be run by a Canadian company, so most of the money to be made from the project wouldn't even be going to America. Basically, America would be risking its resources, and a Canadian company stands to benefit. It's not that I have anything against Canada, it just seems like a silly thing to push so heavily for that we're willing to accept it even without waiting for environmental assessments and planning to finish their work.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 18:59   Link #2099
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
The Oil and gas industry doesn't really directly employ many people.

Consider that Exxon Mobil, number 2 on the fortune 500 with revenue of $383 billion, employs 83000 people. By contrast, Walmart, number 1, revenue $420 billion employs 2 million people. GM with revenue of 135 billion employs 200,000.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 21:05   Link #2100
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The Oil and gas industry doesn't really directly employ many people.

Consider that Exxon Mobil, number 2 on the fortune 500 with revenue of $383 billion, employs 83000 people. By contrast, Walmart, number 1, revenue $420 billion employs 2 million people. GM with revenue of 135 billion employs 200,000.
Locally.

I used to work at an oil plant under manpower, and most of the workers are contractors hiring tons of unskilled labour with a few engineers here and there to direct them.

Either that or they refuse to hire people to shine UV light at the pipes.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2012 elections, us elections

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.