AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Aquarion Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-31, 21:46   Link #781
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
I don't really have a preference for any pairing, except Shrade and Cayenne--but is there no one here (besides me), that wouldn't mind seeing Kagura get with Mikono? In the event that , that happens. I doubt it but you never know...
I'm actually expecting that end and I wouldn't mind it, I feel like that's where all the signs are pointing, at least for now. (I say this especially because I don't think Mikono is as good as she seems on the outside. She's too quick to get jealous, cardinal sin number one of a character having a dark side.)
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 21:58   Link #782
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I'm actually expecting that end and I wouldn't mind it, I feel like that's where all the signs are pointing, at least for now. (I say this especially because I don't think Mikono is as good as she seems on the outside. She's too quick to get jealous, cardinal sin number one of a character having a dark side.)
Lol you say that like Zessica wasn't quick to get jealous/annoyed about their lovey-dovey relationship Envy is a pretty big sin because people would destroy what they can't have.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:07   Link #783
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol you say that like Zessica wasn't quick to get jealous/annoyed about their lovey-dovey relationship
I'm saying it from a point of degrees, everything comes in degrees. Take Mix vs. most every other girl in the Academy, while both are uncomfortable around boys, we're also almost all (us the viewers) gunning for (or are pretty certain of) Mix having some hidden inner soft side. Why? Because of how cold/hard she appears relative to everyone else. Do the same comparison between how Zessica reacted to being the third wheel: got a little annoyed/flirtatious/annoyed and was making the best of the situation by teasing Mikono and Amata, to how Mikono reacted as if Amata were her belonging and someone was stealing him from her. There's utterly no levelheadedness in the girl, twice now she's forced Amata to chase her for events that were either out of his control or entirely coincidental.

I'm with Fudo on this, she has a sweet outer layer but...

(This is also me speculating, so take it with a grain of salt. Mikono may just turn out to be nicest little angel ever who's just really awkward with her feelings, but I'm not seeing it right now. If it turns out to be true, I'll eat a hat. Not mine, I like my hat.)
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:15   Link #784
Ypocaramel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
I hope I don't make any mistake, the grammar mistakes is translated verbatim - nice effort from the studio to make it in English (to fit the Hong Kong setting best, I think) but the grammar is still a bit off.
heh, unfortunately bad English is an ever-increasing part of life in Hong Kong, so in a way it's ironically realistic Of course, Japanese-influenced English is a bit different from Hong Kong-style English...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
There's utterly no levelheadedness in the girl, twice now she's forced Amata to chase her for events that were either out of his control or entirely coincidental.
Do you not think that if Amata is truly interested in Mikono, he should have been a bit more proactive in refusing Zess's advances?
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:16   Link #785
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I'm saying it from a point of degrees, everything comes in degrees. Take Mix vs. most every other girl in the Academy, while both are uncomfortable around boys, we're also almost all (us the viewers) gunning for (or are pretty certain of) Mix having some hidden inner soft side. Why? Because of how cold/hard she appears relative to everyone else. Do the same comparison between how Zessica reacted to being the third wheel: got a little annoyed/flirtatious/annoyed and was making the best of the situation by teasing Mikono and Amata, to how Mikono reacted as if Amata were her belonging and someone was stealing him from her. There's utterly no levelheadedness in the girl, twice now she's forced Amata to chase her for events that were either out of his control or entirely coincidental.

I'm with Fudo on this, she has a sweet outer layer but...

The problem comes when your degree is subjective; Mix being haughty and Zessica being jealous gets played down, while one of Mikono's flaws get blown up out of proportion.

With a little selective choice of words, I can also make Zessica into this manipulative attention seeking girl that is annoyed that for once a guy isn't into her and has to get in the way of an innocent couple having a good time together just to satisfy herself.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:22   Link #786
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
Do you not think that if Amata is truly interested in Mikono, he should have been a bit more proactive in refusing Zess's physical advances?
I'm a little confused... are you arguing that he's not completely interested in Mikono? I don't think Amata is a proactive character to begin with, at least not yet. All of his actions are largely reactionary and apologetic in tone, he's not quite developed a spine or strong self-image just yet but he's getting there. And, its not like he has much of a choice once advanced upon by Zessica, he's floating pretty helplessly in the air until darted in the butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The problem comes when your degree is subjective; Mix being haughty and Zessica being jealous gets played down, while one of Mikono's flaws get blown up out of proportion.

With a little selective choice of words, I can also make Zessica into this manipulative attention seeking girl that is annoyed that for once a guy isn't into her and has to get in the way of an innocent couple having a good time together just to satisfy herself.
I'm downplaying Mix being haughty? By calling her cold/hard relative to everyone else? Would you have preferred the term: Ice Queen, because that further illustrates my point on just how high a degree she is and why we almost all expect her to have a soft mushy core for someone (*cough*Andy*cough*) to find. With a select choice of words you can do just about anything, but the point of the matter is that Mikono's *flaws* are, at this point, recurring. She herself blows everything well out of proportion and holds the person with no control over what happened (either outside of his control, or coincidental) culpable, so is it wrong for me to suppose that Mikono's attenuated jealousy in this episode is a sign of things to come? I don't see why it should be, especially if I'm allowed to make similar judgments with Mix's character.
__________________
Transcend Eternity

Last edited by Vena; 2012-01-31 at 22:33.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:53   Link #787
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Zessica is basically a lot more level-headed than Mikono or at least a lot more worldly. Although tbh, Mikono's behaviour made me cringe in ep 5. It's like she expected some tripe romantic novel BS from her relationship with Amata (not that Amata doesn't seem to expect the same trip romantic BS as well...)
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 22:56   Link #788
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
@Vena

You downplay Mix haungtiness by asuming she has a soft side before we have hard proof that she does.

Yes, with a selective choice of words i can make anyone anything, but the reason why i dont is because I know when something is to be taken seriously and when something is being played for laughs. Zessica playing the third wheel? Its just for fun, Mikono getting jealous and angry? Part of the romcom as well, why do you need to play it like its something serious? Plus in both cases she still forgive him.

Is she perfect? of course not. But last ive checked, no girl is.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 23:00   Link #789
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Zessica is basically a lot more level-headed than Mikono or at least a lot more worldly. Although tbh, Mikono's behaviour made me cringe in ep 5. It's like she expected some tripe romantic novel BS from her relationship with Amata (not that Amata doesn't seem to expect the same trip romantic BS as well...)
Fair enough, Mikono is naive. But if Zessica is more levelheaded, she wouldnt need to intentionally try to interfere with their relationship, nor would she be visually annoyed by it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 23:04   Link #790
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You downplay Mix haungtiness by asuming she has a soft side before we have hard proof that she does.

Yes, with a selective choice of words i can make anyone anything, but the reason why i dont is because I know when something is to be taken seriously and when something is being played for laughs. Zessica playing the third wheel? Its just for fun, Mikono getting jealous and angry? Part of the romcom as well, why do you need to play it like its something serious? Plus in both cases she still forgive him.

Is she perfect? of course not. But last ive checked, no girl is.
I see where our problem is...

I'm not assuming that Mix has a soft side, I'm saying that because of her haughtiness/Ice Queen Mode, many of the viewers (us) expect her to have a soft side. I'm not actually saying that she MUST have one but that, because of what we've seen and the degree to which we've seen it, we tend to form such expectations (the higher the degree, the higher our expectations tend to fly especially for a trope as cliched as Defrosting Ice Queen). Similarly, I'm using the same logic on Mikono based purely on what we've seen. I'm not actually saying it is a guarantee but simply that, given the same logic applied to Mix, this argument is a valid speculation and basis on which to build expectations. Like I said at couple posts back, Mikono may turn out to be the dearest little angel to ever grace the planet who's just really awkward with her ideas of romance (and that's a perfectly valid expectation), it's just not something I can currently see happening. (Simply put, Mikono is showing all the signs of Clingy Jealous Girl (similar to Mix showing the signs of Ice Queen) which leads me into tasting the possibility of all the tropes that tend to follow the leader (much like Mix's Ice Queen leading to the expectation of Defrosting Ice Queen).)

These are purely expectations and nothing more. Feel free to make your own.
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 23:06   Link #791
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
She's more level-headed than Mikono (but I could say that of almost anyone else in the series) That's different from being totally level-headed. She still feels the need to play; much like a cat...

Although I wish Amata actually had once of those bracelets on him so that we could tell what he's feeling when he keeps flying with Zessica. They seem very handy for analysing what people are feeling >_<.

My interpretation of ep 5 is 'Dammit, Im so bored and nothing is happening at ALL' so Zessica decides to start playing with Amata only to discover to her delight, hey he will 'fly' for her (man the innuendo in this is so frigging thick). I haven't really seen any other fliers in Aquarion and the way Amata talks about his past, this seems to be a rare ability so hey, it might be interesting for her. But otoh, she doesn't like to be cast off to one side either so she gets a bit annoyed when Amata just deserts her and their training to run after Mikono.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 23:32   Link #792
mayumi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I think its alright for people to dislike mikono. Infact I can't stand her. Her being anyway related to silvia annoys me. From the first episode when she started whining about how she is useless and she hoped amata was useless too just so he would fit her criteria so they can be friends. When zessica called her out on her whining she left in a huff. she didn't even try to make friends with when zessica asked let by gones be by gones. When she returned zessica supported her decision to transport into aquaruin. She really isn't a angel or a cutie pie. Characters like her usually have a darker inside. Why they put themselves down just to get pity from the viewers. I am not buying it.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 23:54   Link #793
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
I think its alright for people to dislike mikono. Infact I can't stand her. Her being anyway related to silvia annoys me. From the first episode when she started whining about how she is useless and she hoped amata was useless too just so he would fit her criteria so they can be friends. When zessica called her out on her whining she left in a huff. she didn't even try to make friends with when zessica asked let by gones be by gones. When she returned zessica supported her decision to transport into aquaruin. She really isn't a angel or a cutie pie. Characters like her usually have a darker inside. Why they put themselves down just to get pity from the viewers. I am not buying it.
If you want someone to blame then blame her brother for forcing that impression down on her for her entire life. If all people tell you is that you're useless, just what kind of outlook do you think youll have on life? Its unfair to blame her on the product of her nurture.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 01:02   Link #794
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
1 person <> all people though. Surely she has interacted with other people other than her brother (since it's implied that basically she didn't stay with him)
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 01:07   Link #795
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
1 person <> all people though. Surely she has interacted with other people other than her brother (since it's implied that basically she didn't stay with him)
According to Cayenne, at least at one point in time she hated and was scared of going outside.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 01:48   Link #796
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
1 person <> all people though. Surely she has interacted with other people other than her brother (since it's implied that basically she didn't stay with him)
We dont have any evidence of that but regardless you cant deny that her brother played the major role in her life up to this point.

And yes, the influence of one family member can be more than every other person she met. Up to this point.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 01:50   Link #797
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Actually I think one of the episodes , ep 3, when she was asked what Cayenne's dirty habits was like by Mix she said 'I don't stay with him'.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 07:50   Link #798
Ypocaramel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
As much as I found myself charmed by the earnest naivety of the Amata - Mikono relationship and others in the show, I find that it does drive a plot point home - as Crea said, these kids are young. They're inexperienced and awkward, they're not really in control of their feelings and actions in face of a strong force. It's dangerous. They can easily hurt themselves and loved ones. Their love is a passion that drives them to do great things but makes them irrational, crazy, putting them on the precipice of diaster. Which is precisely the problem when they're Elements in control of a Aquarion that runs on love - they have no control, but their love is also determines the fate of the world.

In this sense I expect Aquarion Evol to be almost a rite of passage story for the kids. They will grow up, strenghten their bonds and channel their passion into something stronger and more refined. But it's not something electric rings and darts will do. The kids will find their way.
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 10:43   Link #799
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: bakanki.blogspot.com
Zessica teased Amata for fun the first time, but on that bungee ticket booth, she seems annoyed because Amata kept looking for Mikono. She'll probably fall for him for real too


Btw, saw this coming, without Madoka though XP
__________________
bakAnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 13:10   Link #800
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yeah, I definitely got that feeling that Romance seem to have more focus in this story than what I had remembered from the original.
I just hope it's not too much. The OS had, what I thought was a very good balance of Romance and Action.

Because I LOVE MECHA. I LOVE ACTION. I LOVE SEEING BATTLES. I don't want to see this EVOL morph into a romantic comedy that has little action--this is a Seinen damn it. (It is a Seinen right?) Seinen and Shounen are my preferred Genre (Yaoi is special) I want to see combining mecha and fancy fighting moves. I want to see a clash of steel--er whatever metal Aquarion is made of

I also want LUNAR AND MARS!!! I liked them just as much as I did Solar Aquarion. Speaking of Aquarion.



I prefer the original one over Aquarion Evol--er why is it called "Evol" instead of "Solar"? Things like that make me doubt Amata is the solar wing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
But the story has made it a conscious effort to say "Love is forbidden!" and gave various reasons for it So that might be abit complicating if you want to see a pairing bloom this early
I think "forbidden love" is a passionate, undying true love because the force of that love leads to destruction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post


If there's another sequel it would probably be another 12000 years.
Or about 7-10 years real time--




um......I think it's a bit too early in the series for a ship war--we don't even know who the main players in the LT will be--but I am still going to comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I'm actually expecting that end and I wouldn't mind it, I feel like that's where all the signs are pointing, at least for now.
Gaaaah you too?! I was scared to hope, because I think that way too--because I believe that Kagura is truly Apollo and because love interest= more airtime for Kagura <--I'm guessing ..My Primary motivation for wanting Kagura to get with Mikono is transparent

I don't think Mikono is "bad" Sylvia wasn't a bad girl. I just wish she'd hurry up and get a spine. She did have courage when it counted in episode 4--but one time isn't enough for me.
I like Amata--I just don't LOVE him yet, that could change but so far it hasn't. I also think that he's part of Silvia and that's why he likes Mikono--because he has an unconscious desire to join with his "other half"
He reminded me of Sirius and Silvia when he said
"you can't just watch as destiny flies off..."


Made me feel as if he was speaking from Sylvie's perspective
They remind of these flashbacks that Silvia and Sirus had of Celiane


I feel like they're intentionally leaving out the "reason" they were separated. I think it's more than just a sacrifice to save the world-since Aquarion goes berserk if the pilots are in love. So it seems as if fate has been cruel to them and separated them. This is just wild speculation on my part--I want to make that clear


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post


Do you not think that if Amata is truly interested in Mikono, he should have been a bit more proactive in refusing Zess's advances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Although I wish Amata actually had once of those bracelets on him so that we could tell what he's feeling when he keeps flying with Zessica. They seem very handy for analysing what people are feeling >_<.
He's inexperienced when it comes to interactions with the opposite sex. It's not really a big deal if he feels a momentary attraction to the opposite sex. It just means that he's a normal heterosexual male... It doesn't say that his feelings for Mikono aren't true because so far they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
My interpretation of ep 5 is 'Dammit, Im so bored and nothing is happening at ALL' so Zessica decides to start playing with Amata only to discover to her delight, hey he will 'fly' for her (man the innuendo in this is so frigging thick).
I know what you mean, it's like they were intentionally saying, that boobies won't fail to get a "rise" out of him

I love Freud


Zessica is interested in the opposite sex--this was established in the first ten minutes or so of the first episode. Amata broke the Chasity barrier and then forced a union between males and females. It's not surprising that she would find him interesting without knowing him..
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
5. It's like she expected some tripe romantic novel BS from her relationship with Amata
That and the cheesy music makes it hard for me to take this pairing seriously
I only felt something for them in the first Episode when he hugged her as they were ascending...other than that my feelings for them as a pairing are lukewarm at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Fair enough, Mikono is naive. But if Zessica is more levelheaded, she wouldnt need to intentionally try to interfere with their relationship, nor would she be visually annoyed by it.
I think that some of her actions were motivated by a bit of jealousy, because she's attracted to Amata... but I also see her behavior like a "shipper on deck"
Only time will tell


Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
I think its alright for people to dislike mikono. Infact I can't stand her. Her being anyway related to silvia annoys me. From the first episode when she started whining about how she is useless and she hoped amata was useless too just so he would fit her criteria so they can be friends. When zessica called her out on her whining she left in a huff. she didn't even try to make friends with when zessica asked let by gones be by gones. When she returned zessica supported her decision to transport into aquaruin. She really isn't a angel or a cutie pie. Characters like her usually have a darker inside. Why they put themselves down just to get pity from the viewers. I am not buying it.
I don't dislike her, I just don't care for her at the moment--it will change to hate if she continues to cry throughout the remainder of the series. But so far I want to give her a chance before I decide to hate her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
If you want someone to blame then blame her brother for forcing that impression down on her for her entire life. If all people tell you is that you're useless, just what kind of outlook do you think youll have on life? Its unfair to blame her on the product of her nurture.
Why are you blaming Cayenne?Flashbacks and current events shows that he was protective of her. Mikono's feelings of uselessness is her own fault, not her brother's or her family. She felt useless on her own. It's her fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
As much as I found myself charmed by the earnest naivety of the Amata - Mikono relationship and others in the show, I find that it does drive a plot point home - as Crea said, these kids are young. They're inexperienced and awkward, they're not really in control of their feelings and actions in face of a strong force. It's dangerous. They can easily hurt themselves and loved ones. Their love is a passion that drives them to do great things but makes them irrational, crazy, putting them on the precipice of diaster. Which is precisely the problem when they're Elements in control of a Aquarion that runs on love - they have no control, but their love is also determines the fate of the world.

In this sense I expect Aquarion Evol to be almost a rite of passage story for the kids. They will grow up, strenghten their bonds and channel their passion into something stronger and more refined. But it's not something electric rings and darts will do. The kids will find their way.
You just summed up the entire OS...great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post


Btw, saw this coming, without Madoka though XP
Spoiler for saving space:
I don't get it...
Lord of Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, science fiction, shipping

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.