AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-26, 23:28   Link #41
leokiko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
You should DEFINITELY check out Clannad, Air and Kanon.

It was already mentioned, but, they are true tear-jerkers. I have teared up in all of them.
leokiko is offline  
Old 2012-01-27, 00:06   Link #42
siGil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth (AU) soon!
Age: 27
read my life story... ;]

wolf's rain and tsubatsa chronicles you can check out as some of them mentioned.

but for grown men you're looking for stories involving sacrifice betrayal dedication and im pretty sure i have just the series for you, but cant remember the name right now. i'll be back... i guess gantz has some emotional moments? but its more about the fanservice and violence...
siGil is offline  
Old 2012-01-27, 03:22   Link #43
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to frubam
You might want to try Kaiba. It's a little confusing at first, but it starts to make a bit of sense after the 2nd episode. Oh, and don't let the art style fool you, like it has so many others. It definitely tugs at your heartstrings. If you can't feel anything, at least remorse for some of the chars by episode 4 or 5, I don't know WHAT to say =02.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline  
Old 2012-01-27, 10:15   Link #44
HarimaHario
i eat glue
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by siGil View Post
read my life story... ;]

wolf's rain and tsubatsa chronicles you can check out as some of them mentioned.

but for grown men you're looking for stories involving sacrifice betrayal dedication and im pretty sure i have just the series for you, but cant remember the name right now. i'll be back... i guess gantz has some emotional moments? but its more about the fanservice and violence...
Wolf's Rain - Easy watch, no tears.
Tsubasa Chronicles - Slow/Easy watch, no tears.
Gantz - WTF watch, good show though

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
You might want to try Kaiba. It's a little confusing at first, but it starts to make a bit of sense after the 2nd episode. Oh, and don't let the art style fool you, like it has so many others. It definitely tugs at your heartstrings. If you can't feel anything, at least remorse for some of the chars by episode 4 or 5, I don't know WHAT to say =02.
Kaiba - I tried a couple episodes when it first came out. I would've drop it after 1st ep but forced myself to watch one or two more b/c of all the praises. It's just not my brand of whiskey. =/
__________________
HarimaHario is offline  
Old 2012-01-27, 10:22   Link #45
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
Try Angel Beats (but Harima already mentionned it). You could also try Yosuga no Sora (beware of incest and extreme ecchi) it features lot of drama and some tearjerker scenes (especially in Akira's and Sora's arcs), it really gives me Key vibes.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline  
Old 2012-01-27, 17:26   Link #46
HarimaHario
i eat glue
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Try Angel Beats (but Harima already mentionned it). You could also try Yosuga no Sora (beware of incest and extreme ecchi) it features lot of drama and some tearjerker scenes (especially in Akira's and Sora's arcs), it really gives me Key vibes.
OP = Harima = me xD

Angel Beats! - Finished recently; see previous posts.

Yosuga no Sora - The feeling of getting turned on overwhelmed all other emotions while watch this (srs)
__________________
HarimaHario is offline  
Old 2012-01-27, 19:46   Link #47
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Yosuga no sora is just too short, imo, to communicate any deep fellings; i felt like the stories were all rushed, and the BL-hentai factor played a bad role in there.

Anyways, by experience i tend to know that if i now suggest you another title, you are less likely going to take a look at it, because you have a longshort list in front of you, and it's going to be forgotten.

When you finish The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, let me know, because by then you shall be able to fully enjoy an anime that stands as my favorite for everything, and that will make every title on your list fall apart. Emotional? You'll be shaken. Just let me know by PM when that happens (i'll still ktake a look at this topic)
Classified Info is offline  
Old 2012-01-29, 03:06   Link #48
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
It looks like you're going through series pretty quickly. I think that alone will prevent you from tearing up, because you're not giving yourself enough time to really get attached to the characters or the world. If you watch a series over the course of even a week, it becomes a part of your routine and you'll be much more impacted by it.

In addition, I notice that most of the series being mentioned here are the sad type. I also don't cry easily, and most of these sad series just leave me feeling sorrow inside - but without tears. On the other hand, when I get really attached to a series, the happy, touching moments tend to bring out tears.

I don't have a particular series recommendation, but just this advice: pace the anime, and don't go into it expecting that there'll be something to get you bawling. Savor it slowly, get absorbed into it, and expect nothing - at that point you'll be most "vulnerable" to being moved to tears.
__________________
Ledgem is offline  
Old 2012-01-29, 09:36   Link #49
HarimaHario
i eat glue
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Yosuga no sora is just too short, imo, to communicate any deep fellings; i felt like the stories were all rushed, and the BL-hentai factor played a bad role in there.

Anyways, by experience i tend to know that if i now suggest you another title, you are less likely going to take a look at it, because you have a longshort list in front of you, and it's going to be forgotten.

When you finish The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, let me know, because by then you shall be able to fully enjoy an anime that stands as my favorite for everything, and that will make every title on your list fall apart. Emotional? You'll be shaken. Just let me know by PM when that happens (i'll still ktake a look at this topic)
Just finished both seasons + movie of Suzumiya.

Sad to say I've only enjoyed half of the series. The Endless Eight arc was brutal and very detrimental to the whole franchise imo.

The movie was very well done. Lots of emotional moments but not enough to tear up though. It's one of the best movies no doubt. I really enjoyed it. <3 Yuki

I also would like to add that it's a shame that I'm not into anime novels/manga (Let's just say I have serious case of ADD with them when there's all these wonderful anime out there to be watched). I'd really love to follow up on this series after watching the movie for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It looks like you're going through series pretty quickly. I think that alone will prevent you from tearing up, because you're not giving yourself enough time to really get attached to the characters or the world. If you watch a series over the course of even a week, it becomes a part of your routine and you'll be much more impacted by it.

In addition, I notice that most of the series being mentioned here are the sad type. I also don't cry easily, and most of these sad series just leave me feeling sorrow inside - but without tears. On the other hand, when I get really attached to a series, the happy, touching moments tend to bring out tears.

I don't have a particular series recommendation, but just this advice: pace the anime, and don't go into it expecting that there'll be something to get you bawling. Savor it slowly, get absorbed into it, and expect nothing - at that point you'll be most "vulnerable" to being moved to tears.
Interesting approach. Did you experiment this yourself? I'll try spreading them out and see if that will help. Thanks for the insight.
__________________

Last edited by HarimaHario; 2012-01-29 at 09:48.
HarimaHario is offline  
Old 2012-01-29, 11:20   Link #50
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarimaHario View Post
Interesting approach. Did you experiment this yourself? I'll try spreading them out and see if that will help. Thanks for the insight.
Yes, that has been my experience. When I go through a series in a very short amount of time, it doesn't tend to really connect with me as deeply as those series that are watched over the course of a few weeks. We're all different, though - perhaps there are some people who can marathon a series in a day and still feel deeply connected to it. A lot of it has to do with how much you like the series, of course, but I think that if you space things out you can appreciate them more for what they are.

Sort of like eating Stick a bunch of things in your mouth, and the flavors all jumble together. Stronger flavors overpower weaker ones. Yet if eaten slowly and savored, even the milder foods will give you sensations that you would have otherwise missed.
__________________
Ledgem is offline  
Old 2012-01-29, 11:22   Link #51
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 29
Clannad well destroy any mans eyes lol
__________________
Om Nerabdator is offline  
Old 2012-01-31, 11:18   Link #52
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Gunbuster - the final episode is well known for making viewers misty eyed.
cerrian is offline  
Old 2012-02-01, 17:18   Link #53
LeaD36
LeaDfactor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hungary, Budapest
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
if you are indeed a real man u watch slamdunk and cry
LeaD36 is offline  
Old 2012-02-01, 17:21   Link #54
LeaD36
LeaDfactor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hungary, Budapest
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
on an offnote, the manga that really got to me (ye it's in manga format only) is actually Watashi no Messiah-sama (ye it's a shoujo)
Most reviews i found after reading it said that the storyline was incomprehensible at some points and illogical to boot, but for some reason, i just tearup everytime i think back about that certain arc
LeaD36 is offline  
Old 2012-02-01, 17:26   Link #55
Elegance
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Katanagatari is a must try. The development of the characters are well done. The talking is pretty heavy though the action is good as well.
Spoiler:
Elegance is offline  
Old 2012-02-01, 18:09   Link #56
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I notice now you edited your post:

I said somewhere that you needed only the first and last episode of endless eight (for reasons you experienced) because ye, it isn't affordable for everyone.

The movie didn't have to make you tear up, but rather give you a tornado of emotions, from confusion, desperation, joy, surprise and joy again.
Spoiler for near the end:
I just thought you would have enjoyed it anyway.

Ok, here i go with a suggestion that only depends on what you like. The title i'm going to suggest now is Steins;Gate. If you liked Haruhi Suzumiya for the time travelling and general mindfucking, then you will most likely love this one. This title is seriously near to reality, it doesn't have stupid stuff like memes, or chibi faces all around or weird face expressions: it's a serious kind of animation and a serious title overall. It's about some just acquainted friends who manage to make a sort of time machine(a microwave with a telephone) that is able to send text messages to the past. Even tho we are thrown in such a dark atmosphere, the protagonist in there will make you laugh like it was a comedy show. It got a very deep and satisfying romance(just trust me). I cannot say any more of the plot, because to enjoy it to full you just have to know nothing. The show starts at a bit slow pace, but don't worry, because our protagonist is surely some particular individual, and will entertain you until the plot evolves.
Here the picture of the cast, so you get a clue of what kind of animation it is.
Spoiler for pics:


At the beginning i wasn't interested in this anime, since i thought it was some sci-fi freak show, focused on nerd things and with an emotionless cast, but i would judge my past self a fool if i ever skipped this title. The first episode was 120% enough to catch my attention. This anime will provide you a lot of emotions, just like the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, but more intense and more satisfying. Ah, the characters's ages are all around 18, even tho the protagonist looks 20 or more. You might shed some tear here, since you are actually given a reason to.

If you are currently watching nothing, i suggest you watch the first episode of this anime. Ah ye, forgot to mention: the first episode might cause some confusion in you, but don't worry, don't worry. It's okay for you to not understand, at that time of the story, haha. If you are already on some series, just finish it off, because you have to be concentrated on this one to enjoy it 100%, and you won't regret it. This anime is just satisfying. (Oh ye, and for your information, this title is actually being voted amongst the best animes of 2011 and is topping many classifics)

Just all this textwall should be enough to convince even God to watch S;G, so well, watch the first episode(it will make you watch the 2nd just because this anime it's that way)
Classified Info is offline  
Old 2012-02-01, 23:06   Link #57
HarimaHario
i eat glue
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
Clannad well destroy any mans eyes lol
It sure did.. 2nd season only though :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Gunbuster - the final episode is well known for making viewers misty eyed.
Will check it out. THanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
if you are indeed a real man u watch slamdunk and cry
I remember watching it vaguely when I was a little boy. The things I'd give to go back to those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
on an offnote, the manga that really got to me (ye it's in manga format only) is actually Watashi no Messiah-sama (ye it's a shoujo)
Most reviews i found after reading it said that the storyline was incomprehensible at some points and illogical to boot, but for some reason, i just tearup everytime i think back about that certain arc
Will definitely check it out if I'm ever addicted to manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance View Post
Katanagatari is a must try. The development of the characters are well done. The talking is pretty heavy though the action is good as well.
Spoiler:
I really did try to force myself to watch this, but I just can't get over them hollow eyes.

---

@Classified - Stein;Gate is one of my favorite anime for sure. Though I did drop it after watching 2 episodes when it first came out. I wasn't in the mood for serious anime at the time I guess.
__________________
HarimaHario is offline  
Old 2012-02-02, 00:11   Link #58
HarimaHario
i eat glue
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 29
updated list in 1st post
__________________
HarimaHario is offline  
Old 2012-02-02, 04:42   Link #59
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Type-00
I can understand that you didn't tear up in Ef: a tale of memories, but have you tried the second season at least? If you haven't, you're in for a surprise in Ef: a tale of melodies.

Also, you might want to consider watching Iriya no Sora, Ufo no Natsu, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, and Shinigami no Ballad. They're about 6 episodes long so if you have the time, just check it out. Even if you don't cry, I think these would leave a long lasting impression at least.
Silvance is offline  
Old 2012-02-02, 08:23   Link #60
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Oh sorry, i didn't pay attention to your "watched animes" list. I now took a look, and found the following titles missing:
Kannagi (About a boy who crafts a girl out of a piece of wood, and then that girl becomes human. She's actually some sort of deity and will stay at the boy's home, with all the consequences. At the beginning is slow, with some comedy, but nearing the end you get the melancholic part)
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na (Already suggested it, and this is the one which got the most chances of making you tear up. Relationship between a boy and the moon's princess)
Canvas 2 (It's taken from an eroge, tho the adaption wasn't as good as the anime. It's 24 episodes long, a school-life romance/comedy with some drama)
Kamisama Kazoku (The plot plays around a young god who is adapting to the human life to better comprehend how it works. One day he falls in love with a girl and wants to conquer her without his god powers. There is a love triangle, since this god is always accompained by his childhood friend who would be an angel. Some episodes are really emotional, melancholic, but there is some comedy in it. The first 5 episodes already will give you some feelings, and that's good. I hope you can get over the graphic that is simple)
11 eyes (This title is more on the shocking side, but does contain emotional episodes. It's more a fantasy anime: there are some guys who happen to know they have some hidden powers, and have to fight in a parallel dimension against some dudes who have a girl captivated. It contains action but also much romance. The first 2 episodes will be enough to get an idea of the plot. Episode 11 will do the job)

This is all i can think of, considering you already watched the ones i considered the most emotional. There are some other titles that could be named, but they surely aren't going to make you tear up; only move some little feelings.
Classified Info is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.