AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Aquarion Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-01, 16:47   Link #821
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
I totally agree, I don't mind a dark show or a show with complicated characters, but I don't like shows that start out all "broad strokes! primary colors!" and then turn all grimdark partway through; if it starts going that way I'll be dropping it too.

So even though it's probably mostly wrong, I think I'm at least in the right ballpark up until "shocking developments", but my guesses past "Mikono goes to Altair" are just me inventing "shocking" scenarios for kicks. I really like the idea of Kagura getting killed off -- and anger over this changing "fabulous Mykage, stealer of your women" into "furious Mykage, destroyer of your world" -- but that seems unlikely (unless Kagura's just a clone/android/whatever and there're like 10 more Kaguras in cold storage, but that also seems unlikely).
I think it'll be complicated (I mean it's at least a love triangle, possibly a rectangle with Zessica) but I don't think it'll be that dark or emo. There will be suffering and pain, but I think ultimately it will have a good ending, they had a bittersweet end in Genesis of Aquarion already.
__________________
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 16:50   Link #822
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
I totally agree, I don't mind a dark show or a show with complicated characters, but I don't like shows that start out all "broad strokes! primary colors!" and then turn all grimdark partway through; if it starts going that way I'll be dropping it too.

So even though it's probably mostly wrong, I think I'm at least in the right ballpark up until "shocking developments", but my guesses past "Mikono goes to Altair" are just me inventing "shocking" scenarios for kicks. I really like the idea of Kagura getting killed off -- and anger over this changing "fabulous Mykage, stealer of your women" into "furious Mykage, destroyer of your world" -- but that seems unlikely (unless Kagura's just a clone/android/whatever and there're like 10 more Kaguras in cold storage, but that also seems unlikely).
Yeah, I'm sure that you are. It might not happen exactly like that, but I have a feeling that something along those lines will occur.

Hm, that sure would lead to some interesting developments indeed; but honestly, I can't say that I'd like to see Kagura get killed off. I love his character design, and his beast like approach to battle, which we saw in episode 1 and 2.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 16:57   Link #823
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
That's an interesting take on Okada's statement. However, I think something like this would be a little too dark for the show; killing off popular characters is never a good thing for a show that comes across as a colourful mecha story with some romance.

I usually like dark stories, but I'd prefer to know if the show is one or not from the get-go. Otherwise, I may end dropping the show.
Character death is usually pretty common in mecha anime so you should always anticipate it from the get go. Also if you're wondering why some shows don't establish a darker tone early on than join the club. As far as my experiences go shows that start off all light hearted and then try to go darker later rarely work well. Either they get darker and more full of drama to late in the run to be able to make a proper use of the arc, get dark so early on that you have to wondee why it wasnt just dark from the get go or get dark at the halfway point such that it looks the show is bipolar. All I can say is that I can't help but hope this trend ends soon enough and we start to see more shows that pick a tone and damn well stick with it or at the very least don't start off so damn goofy that it comes across as laughable when they try to get serious.

Also I can't be the only one that thinks having 3 episodes of fluff before a major revelation sounds like really questionable pacing and storytelling. Then again considering the writer and show in question I can't really say I'm surprised.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 17:08   Link #824
mayumi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I am rather pleased that zessica will not be a irrelevant character. As long as she brings in the fun and cheerfulness, it's all good. The final pairing I think,will still be amata x mikono and it will be sad to see zessica sad. But thats the show or it will be a foursome

I will be really pleased to see the real mikono. Not the cutesy one right now.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 17:31   Link #825
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Character death is usually pretty common in mecha anime so you should always anticipate it from the get go. Also if you're wondering why some shows don't establish a darker tone early on than join the club. As far as my experiences go shows that start off all light hearted and then try to go darker later rarely work well. Either they get darker and more full of drama to late in the run to be able to make a proper use of the arc, get dark so early on that you have to wondee why it wasnt just dark from the get go or get dark at the halfway point such that it looks the show is bipolar. All I can say is that I can't help but hope this trend ends soon enough and we start to see more shows that pick a tone and damn well stick with it or at the very least don't start off so damn goofy that it comes across as laughable when they try to get serious.

Also I can't be the only one that thinks having 3 episodes of fluff before a major revelation sounds like really questionable pacing and storytelling. Then again considering the writer and show in question I can't really say I'm surprised.
Ah, is that so? I haven't seen a single 'proper' mecha anime yet so I wouldn't know. And yeah, I've noticed that most shows, or well, stories in general that start off colourful and light hearted and suddenly become darker as the story progresses on fall flat on their face in terms of execution. Sure, it's do-able, but a show would better off to set certain tone and stick with it throughout the story. I'm hoping this show fares well in this aspect.

Honestly, I think those 3 episodes, while having a lax atmosphere will more than likely set up for the major revelation in a 'the calm before the storm' manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
I am rather pleased that zessica will not be a irrelevant character. As long as she brings in the fun and cheerfulness, it's all good. The final pairing I think,will still be amata x mikono and it will be sad to see zessica sad. But thats the show or it will be a foursome

I will be really pleased to see the real mikono. Not the cutesy one right now.
Amato x Mikono x Kagura x Zessica. Hell yeah!
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 19:01   Link #826
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
uff, and I thought I'd have had a smooth romance here. How naive of me
But really Mikono will not die for sure here, I mean I remember few animes (prob. one) that killed a major character out of the blue. Excluding last episodes.
anyways I hope Mikono would not evolve in some Ranka-like who will go with abductors as miketyson guessed and that she won't end with Kagura.
Am I asking for to much?
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 19:11   Link #827
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
uff, and I thought I'd have had a smooth romance here. How naive of me
But really Mikono will not die for sure here, I mean I remember few animes (prob. one) that killed a major character out of the blue. Excluding last episodes.
anyways I hope Mikono would not evolve in some Ranka-like who will go with abductors as miketyson guessed and that she won't end with Kagura.
Am I asking for to much?
Well, due to Cayenne's visions we know that she has to appear on the abductors' planet in one way or another; she'll either go there out of her own free will, or she may have no choice but to go there in order to protect something or someone. Or alternatively, they may simply abduct her. Like a few people said. she'll more than likely not end up with Kagura.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 19:26   Link #828
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Well, due to Cayenne's visions we know that she has to appear on the abductors' planet in one way or another; she'll either go there out of her own free will, or she may have no choice but to go there in order to protect something or someone. Or alternatively, they may simply abduct her. Like a few people said. she'll more than likely not end up with Kagura.
But do we? Very little of the 'wedding in funeral clothes' event looks like the Abductor's world to me. We've seen it multiple times now and from the way the sky looks I've always assumed it's the MC's world. Which from maps floating in the Neo-Deava HQ looks a lot to me like Earth.

We don't know much about the Abductor's home world... but the sky looks pretty nasty there. Could simply mean Kagura swaps sides and marries Mikono on the MC's world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Mikono will get an offer from Kagura (or perhaps directly from Mykage?) and *voluntarily* decide to go to Altair, sneaking away in the middle of the night. When she arrives @ Altair we'll get some exposition and backstory, and she'll decide to go through with the wedding (even if it means she'll die, or whatever) because by doing so she can save vega from the abductors. She finally gets her chance to be useful, yadda yadda.
The OS had a VASTLY nastier variant on this theme... so nothing says anyone's exit to the other side will go smoothly for anyone.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 19:28   Link #829
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Well, due to Cayenne's visions we know that she has to appear on the abductors' planet in one way or another; she'll either go there out of her own free will, or she may have no choice but to go there in order to protect something or someone. Or alternatively, they may simply abduct her. Like a few people said. she'll more than likely not end up with Kagura.
Thank you for make it simple, I tried to recollect about Apollonius Apollo Cayenne reading this 3d but since I didn't like the first series I don't want to relate this new one to it too much
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 19:48   Link #830
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
But do we? Very little of the 'wedding in funeral clothes' event looks like the Abductor's world to me. We've seen it multiple times now and from the way the sky looks I've always assumed it's the MC's world. Which from maps floating in the Neo-Deava HQ looks a lot to me like Earth.

We don't know much about the Abductor's home world... but the sky looks pretty nasty there. Could simply mean Kagura swaps sides and marries Mikono on the MC's world.

The OS had a VASTLY nastier variant on this theme... so nothing says anyone's exit to the other side will go smoothly for anyone.
Ah, that's a good point. I just assumed the wedding takes place there because I imagine it's the only place where Kagura would be able to 'marry' Mikono without getting pestered by the likes of Cayenne and Amata. I honestly didn't pay all that much attention to the sky and rest of the surrounding environment.

Would you be so kind as to inform what 'OS' means wrt. to the Aquarion universe? It's been brought up a few times already, and I haven't been able to come up with anything that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Thank you for make it simple, I tried to recollect about Apollonius Apollo Cayenne reading this 3d but since I didn't like the first series I don't want to relate this new one to it too much
No problem. Just make sure to take my assumptions with a grain of salt, as they may very well turn out to be false.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 20:11   Link #831
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Would you be so kind as to inform what 'OS' means wrt. to the Aquarion universe? It's been brought up a few times already, and I haven't been able to come up with anything that makes sense.
I may be misusing it myself ^_^

I've always assumed it meant Original Series.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 20:20   Link #832
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
I may be misusing it myself ^_^

I've always assumed it meant Original Series.
Well damn. I assumed it was a specific term wrt the Aquarion series.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 20:35   Link #833
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
There's a meaning to the "cats".
Seriously ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
Why are you blaming Cayenne?Flashbacks and current events shows that he was protective of her. Mikono's feelings of uselessness is her own fault, not her brother's or her family. She felt useless on her own. It's her fault
Because I never forget the first-second episode where he constantly berates her as useless throughout the entire second half. So what if he's intentions were good? Doesn't change that his methods were horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
And I'm not really surprised about Mikono. She seems the kind of girl who seems gentle but in reality has a dark side. And I'm sure this dark side is because of Cayenne.
Isn't her dark side that low self esteem and maybe borderline anti-social behavior?

Btw, I would also like to point out that as the token genki girl, Zesscia isn't exactly immune to having a dark side Between Ayaka from KamiMemo and Sayaka from Madoka, Animes these days aren't treating their type too well...

You shouldn't get too comfort

And that's why Tsundere characters are still the best


Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
And Okada is a troll that likes to play with the audience's mind,I'm taking anything she says with a grain of sault.
Well that's just brilliant =_=
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 20:43   Link #834
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: bakanki.blogspot.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
I don't get it...
Shinobu, blonde girl on the left from Monogatari series (Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, etc), is a vampire who loves donut. And Crea, that most probably incarnation of Rena whom looks like she is a vampire, loves donut as well


Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I stumbled upon some bits of information from interviews with director Yamamoto Yuusuke and Amata's seiyuu Kaji Yuuki in some magazine (FREECELL):

Spoiler for Vague spoilers for the few upcoming episodes:

Man, that's Okada for you wwwww
Awesome

Mikono's being evil girl doesn't mean Amata will give up on her, it could be one of obstacles Amata has to overcome to finally get Mikono. Besides, "悪い女"(evil/bad girl) here can mean anything. "Bad" as in easily get jealous as Zessica's feelings change, for example XD
__________________
bakAnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 21:32   Link #835
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
can those spoilers be confirmed? seems too big a spoiler to simply be said by them. and honestly seems more like a fake spoiler from a Zessica fan. The page given didn't exactly give scans about the interview.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 22:33   Link #836
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Just dropping by to say that Kirino-Mix is one hot lady.
Kudos to the character designer.

Spoiler for D-don't look at me like that, you pervert!:
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 23:01   Link #837
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Just dropping by to say that Kirino-Mix is one hot lady.
Kudos to the character designer.

Spoiler for D-don't look at me like that, you pervert!:
Just dropping in also to say +1!!!

She's a character that hits alot of sweet spots on the bullseye.
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 00:13   Link #838
Ypocaramel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Also be nice to get someone to confirm the spoiler translation.

I don't think we need to be too worried about "school life" episodes in this show, the writers have so far managed to interweave humor and plot effectively. Episode 3 and most of 5 were arguably school life episodes and they turned out quite well. Of course they could always drop the ball and mess up, but I'm not that worried about it yet.
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 06:49   Link #839
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: bakanki.blogspot.com
Mecha-otaku part of me kinda worry of "school life" episodes because there will be small chance to have proper battle scene on it; but on the other side I'm probably okay if it means we'll get more character and relationship development


More fan arts...
__________________
bakAnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 07:03   Link #840
miketyson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
Also be nice to get someone to confirm the spoiler translation.
I can't confirm the source material being fake or not fake, but the translation with it here is both incomplete and what is translated seems a bit off (unless there's context we're missing). I'm not a real translator -- understanding is easier than translating -- but I'll take a whack at a couple things.

First, as was already mentioned, translating "マリー曰く「ミコノは悪い女」" as "According to Mari, Mikono is an *evil* girl" seems a bit aggressive (the *evil* part). That's a bit too strong and overly-specific for what's literally there, which is a fairly vague "Mikono's a bad woman" (which still comes across too strong in English).

Then there's this part:

Quote:
梶はミコノは男に好かれて女に嫌われるタイプ
頑張り屋さんで応援したくなるとも言ってたような(うろ覚え)
まあ、天然悪女だろうね
...which that approximate translation basically skipped over. In-context, this is someone paraphrasing some more of what Kaji said, but isn't a direct quote from Kaji. I already paraphrased the last two lines earlier, but a fuller paraphrase (so paraphrase-of-a-paraphrase from a blog post summarizing an interview in a magazine, lol), would be:

Quote:
(According to Kaji) Mikono's the type guys like but girls hate.
(There was some talk about how) She tries really, really hard and this makes you want to root for her.
But, still, she's kinda an unintentional villain.
Spoiler for TN Notes:


As always, I'd prefer a proper translation to my paraphrasing, but I hope that makes what I was basing my guesses on a bit clearer for everyone. It jumped out at me b/c it's the kind of thing I could easily believe the writers would say: once it's pointed out it feels obviously correct -- a *very* good characterization of Mikono so far -- but it's hard as a viewer to be that precise this early on.

Moving back to the discussion: as much as I want to see a grief-tricken Mykage go into fully-fabulous berserker mode, I agree it'd be a shame to kill Kagura off anywhere as early as that halfway point, if only because he does have a cool character design. Beyond that though, eh? He's like Zessica insofar as we haven't seen enough of his personality for me to have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.