AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Another

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 35 39.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 34.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 20.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-07, 08:24   Link #101
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
What puzzles me (I don't think I've seen the issue addressed here, but sorry if I've missed it), is that the school's staff has to be aware of everything that's happening in class 3. They had to know that there was an effective counter-measure in place, though it could still be easily rendered useless. And yet what did they come up with? Placing the transfer student in that very class, with a number of students that should precisely not be messed with, and which obviously triggered the curse again because it could only confuse the class's students.
This was discussed in episode 4. The school has a new principal who hasn't fully grasped the situation, and the teachers haven't dared try to explain things to him/her. Hence Kouichi was placed in class 9-3 because it was convenient for the system.
Goggen is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 08:24   Link #102
Katapan
俺様祭り
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
I don't think the staff had much of a choice cause IIRC it was mentioned Kouichi was put in that class by the principal who was new and didn't believe in their 'tradition'.
Ahhh, right, thanks. I can't find that part again but I do remember something of the sort being mentioned. Well, it could always put the principal on the list of suspicious people - I hope the teachers opposed his decision at some point, and if he insisted on having Kouichi in class 3, then well... it'd be pretty stupid if the whole curse was just triggered on simple stubbornness on his part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
This was discussed in episode 4. The school has a new principal who hasn't fully grasped the situation, and the teachers haven't dared try to explain things to him/her. Hence Kouichi was placed in class 9-3 because it was convenient for the system.
EDIT: Thanks, now I found the right sequence. Do we have a clear answer as to whether the teachers are exempt from the curse yet? I could 'understand' them brushing the issue aside if they are... but I'm still suspecting they have a major role to play in this.
__________________
Katapan is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 08:43   Link #103
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
The thing I am wondering is..... that if ignoring a student from the class is the counter measure the class came up with...... then couldnt it be, that introducing an extra student in the form of an transfer student is a counter measure from the ghost side?? And Sakakibarakun could be dead all along.

So basically, this time around, there is more than one dead person....
warita is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 08:44   Link #104
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Why're you guys taking Misaki's explanation at face value? Even if I am to trust everything else, how on earth do they know that the extra person that gets added is already dead? That's mere speculation on their part. They don't know that for certainty. In fact, its all rumors that they have been told so they are unreliable narrators.

It could very well be the case that the kids were lied to. Someone is using them or something. Maybe as part of a long, arduous ritual. There's something fishy going on and its not just the apparent supernatural activity. You guys say there are too many coincidences for this to not be supernatural but doesn't the fact that there are too many coincidences also mean that somebody could have planned this out in detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
The thing I am wondering is..... that if ignoring a student from the class is the counter measure the class came up with...... then couldnt it be, that introducing an extra student in the form of an transfer student is a counter measure from the ghost side?? And Sakakibarakun could be dead all along.

So basically, this time around, there is more than one dead person....
If we were to believe in the explanation given by Misaki then the person who is dead doesn't know that they are dead either. I don't think it's that the dead and the alive are at war here. Even if the supernatural is at work etc., the explanation implies that they are visitors who don't know any more than other students rather than perpetrators who kill people. The fact that they are there is only an indication that people are gonna die that year, nothing more.

I don't think Misaki ever implied that the curse would stop even if they figured out who was dead either. The way I see it, the class is marked for death every year there is an extra student and it's not the fault of the dead who came back.

I still think there's something really fishy going on and somebody's abusing this story about the ghosts and crap for something. The supernatural may or not be involved but I'd be surprised if it was just a curse or whatever that's taking people's lives here for no other reason than apparent vengeance.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 08:48   Link #105
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Why're you guys taking Misaki's explanation at face value? Even if I am to trust everything else, how on earth do they know that the extra person that gets added is already dead? That's mere speculation on their part. They don't know that for certainty. In fact, its all rumors that they have been told so they are unreliable narrators.
I said this twice already.... buw how do they make the connection, that one missing desk must mean there is an extra dead person?? Especially if their memories are altered. Wouldnt it be so much easier to assume one desk disappeared?

Here is another interesting thought:

So, Sakakibaras aunt is the younger sister of his late mother. She went to class 3. Kouichis mom died.... what if that happened during the time his aunt was attending class 3? They said they figured out how to trick the curse 10 years ago, if I remember correctly, so.... here it comes:

What if Kouichis aunt caused his moms death by aknowledging Misakis existance? And thats why the damn bird keeps repeating: Why, why??? .... why did you do that...
warita is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 08:56   Link #106
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I said this twice already.... buw how do they make the connection, that one missing desk must mean there is an extra dead person?? Especially if their memories are altered. Wouldnt it be so much easier to assume one desk disappeared?
As far as I can tell, Misaki was just reiterating what she had heard in rumors. We'll need to see if we ever get more information on how the previous classes reached the conclusion that the extra person was already dead.

That aunt of the MC is really suspicious. That face she made when she yelled at the Mynah ... There was already the fact that she was in class 9 - 3 when her sister, who was also in class 9-3, died. But she seemed to be suffering from PTSD or something and is clearly hiding things from the MC and the show's hiding even more info from us because we never got to hear what she was telling the MC regarding her fourth tip to succeed in school and what "upholding class rules" exactly means. Did she come in contact with the dead 15 years ago or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
So, Sakakibaras aunt is the younger sister of his late mother. She went to class 3. Kouichis mom died.... what if that happened during the time his aunt was attending class 3? They said they figured out how to trick the curse 10 years ago, if I remember correctly, so.... here it comes:

What if Kouichis aunt caused his moms death by aknowledging Misakis existance? And thats why the damn bird keeps repeating: Why, why??? .... why did you do that...
Nice theory but this couldn't have been because they started that countermeasure of denying people's existence only 10 years ago while Sakakibara's aunt went to school 15 years ago. So they hadn't started denying people's existence yet. But I like the idea that she was mad at the bird because it reminds her of something that happened then. Well it was kinda obvious I guess.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 09:03   Link #107
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post

Nice theory but this couldn't have been because they started that countermeasure of denying people's existence only 10 years ago while Sakakibara's aunt went to school 15 years ago. So they hadn't started denying people's existence yet.
Exactly... so when she was attending the school back then, they didnt know whats causing the curse, so they didnt take any countermeasures, the curse was triggered and Kouichis mom died as a consequence. Now his aunt feels responsible...
warita is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 09:13   Link #108
rakusukira
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
i'm starting to ship Koichi and Mei.. they just look so adorable together!!!
rakusukira is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 10:34   Link #109
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Ahhh, right, thanks. I can't find that part again but I do remember something of the sort being mentioned. Well, it could always put the principal on the list of suspicious people - I hope the teachers opposed his decision at some point, and if he insisted on having Kouichi in class 3, then well... it'd be pretty stupid if the whole curse was just triggered on simple stubbornness on his part.
Imagine you were the principal. You come to this new school and a teacher tells you about this cursed class where at least one student or close relative of a student dies each month. Your first question is, "Wait, you mean eleven students died here last year?"

"Oh, no," the teacher says, "they have a ritual they perform every year that prevents it."

"So how many students have died since you've been here?"

"Me, none. I started after they began using the ritual. But Old Man Watanabe in the English department says it used to happen all the time."

Is your reaction going to be, (A) "Hmm, I better take this seriously and make sure the class performs the ritual properly," or (B) "Why the hell are you wasting my time with some stupid urban legend?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I said this twice already.... buw how do they make the connection, that one missing desk must mean there is an extra dead person?? Especially if their memories are altered. Wouldnt it be so much easier to assume one desk disappeared?
If it happened once, and if that were all that happened, sure. But when it happens every year and the class starts racking up a bunch of mysterious deaths, people are going to connect it to the story of Misaki and the class photo.
Utsuro no Hako is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 11:49   Link #110
haguruma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I started ruling out people as being dead, so lets continue
  1. As before, they have to choose the person to ignore before the extra person gets added because choosing the person to be ignored after the extra person gets added would require the acknowledgement of existence of the person to be ignored.
    This rules out:
    -Misaki, since she was chosen, she must have existed before the dead person was added, thus she can't be dead
    -Sakakibara, he came in after the dead person was added, thus he can't be dead
    -Akazawa, she chose Misaki, thus must have existed to choose her, thus must have existed before the dead person was added, thus must be alive
  2. Assuming the dead people are immune to the curse, we can rule out
    -Sakuragi
    -Mizuno
    -Heart attack kid (forgot name)
Not necessarily. Remember what Mei said this episode? The dead person is one from among those who died in connection to this phenomenon in the past. This means it was someone who did exist in context of class 3-3 before. So it is likely that we can assume that the altering of their memories is merely forgetting that this person ever died.
The question is, does this rule out relatives? Do the dead change appearence? Or are they merely people who were supposed to finish the 3-3 the year they died or after that year?

According to Mei it is very likely that what the students did to Misaki 26 years ago made the other dead envious, because that Misaki could finish that "year" as if alive.
haguruma is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 12:17   Link #111
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Not necessarily. Remember what Mei said this episode? The dead person is one from among those who died in connection to this phenomenon in the past. This means it was someone who did exist in context of class 3-3 before. So it is likely that we can assume that the altering of their memories is merely forgetting that this person ever died.
The ghost would be someone from a previous year whom the current students don't know or only have a passing knowledge of, so erasing the memory of her death wouldn't explain why she's in the class this year. Akazawa is likely out of the question unless the curse altered memories to make everyone remember her organizing the countermeasures before class started.

There's also the question of what happens to the ghost after school? Does the curse affect his family as well, making them remember him? Or does it create a fake family for him to live with? Are the ghosts relatives immune to the curse -- if so we can eliminate Mizuno's brother as a suspect.

Also, who was the ghost in the first year (i.e., the year after the original Misaki died)? Did Misaki repeat the class, or was it someone related to the class who'd died before the Misaki thing?
Utsuro no Hako is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 13:09   Link #112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think you might be onto something here. We've been told that anybody related to the class to the class can die, and that of course included teacher. That makes it possible for them to be the other. The lack of desk in Class 3 would just be one big troll/red herring from him then...



That's what I thought until episode 3. However, some of the deaths/accidents are impossible to explain away with a human as the culprit.

Fujioka - cause of death unknown
Class rep's mother - car accident. Car accidents happen all the time, so it could have just been a coincidence it happened that year.
Class rep - falling on her umbrella. I suppose it is possible somebody pushed her down, but it's a bit unbelievable he managed to make her land right on her pointy end of her umbrella.
Mizuno - death by elevator. Even if we assume somebody managed to have access to the elevator and tampered with the cable, he had no way to know when exactly the cable would come off loose and that it would be Mizuno inside the elevator.
What's his name - Heart attack. It happened right when he was about to pronounce Mei's name. That's one BIG coincidence.

There is also the glass that was knocked off by the wind in episode three. Nobody would have done that. That means it would be yet another coincidence. That's a quite lot of them, don't you think?

If it's revealed that the murderer really is a normal human, there better be some solid explanation to all this or I'll just call shitty writing.
Remember I said, "There is a supernatural element". Saul isn't about explaining everything away to mundane causes, but while there is an otherworldly factor at play the true horror is committed by the humans. That feels right to me here.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 13:39   Link #113
Robotech Master
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Huh....watched it again.

I think a pretty big, albeit subtle, hint was dropped in episode 5, and I don't quite know where to go with it, but it's something no one else in this thread has pointed out yet, I think.

Very curious...
Robotech Master is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 14:04   Link #114
haguruma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The ghost would be someone from a previous year whom the current students don't know or only have a passing knowledge of, so erasing the memory of her death wouldn't explain why she's in the class this year. Akazawa is likely out of the question unless the curse altered memories to make everyone remember her organizing the countermeasures before class started.

There's also the question of what happens to the ghost after school? Does the curse affect his family as well, making them remember him? Or does it create a fake family for him to live with? Are the ghosts relatives immune to the curse -- if so we can eliminate Mizuno's brother as a suspect.
That's the big question we have to ask for now, how widespread is the influence of that dead person and can it even be proven that there actually is a dead person except there being one place unaccounted for?

So somebody has died in connection to the curse and then he or she reappears in class 3-3 an unaccounted for time later as somebody who does not appear dead in the slightest.
But shouldn't something like that lead to at least some inconsistencies with the sorroundings? If they are one place short in class maybe there are other subtle areas the curse cannot change...something like slight bugs that hint towards the dead one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
Huh....watched it again.

I think a pretty big, albeit subtle, hint was dropped in episode 5, and I don't quite know where to go with it, but it's something no one else in this thread has pointed out yet, I think.

Very curious...
Care elaborating which one that is?
haguruma is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 14:42   Link #115
Robotech Master
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Care elaborating which one that is?
On the day they start ignoring him, Kouichi is walking up the stairs when he sees Mikami-sensei and says to her "Oh, you're here early." Then she ignores him and he's like, huh, ok.

Then later when that one guy mentions "do you think Mikami sensei has some kind of life threatening illness?" he's very quick to go "pfft, I think she's fine."

I'm pretty sure Kouichi knows Mikami-sensei more than we've been allowed to see. Like not necessarily sexually or romantically, but he does have some kind of connection to her that has thusfar been hidden or downplayed by the narrative withholding info/scenes from us.

Like I said, not sure which direction to go with it, but I think it will be important.
Robotech Master is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 15:05   Link #116
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Anime World
Age: 19
I find that librarian guy suspicious. He knew about Kouichi's mother and was fascinated about learning about her death. And plus, I have a feeling he knows something about Mei since in an earlier episode, he requested Kouichi to leave the library whilst looking over Mei, as if he knew she was there but didn't want Kouichi to know, or to speak to her.

Well, another death has happened, but I can honestly say that at least it wasn't as grusome as what the others have been. And who knows, maybe this 'curse' wasn't the thing that killed him, he did have a heart condition, perhaps the recent events and orders he had been giving just put to much stress and pressure on him.

And now it appears that Kouichi is being given the silent treatment just like Mei. These students must be terrified to have to resort to things like that. But now at least we know that Mei really does exist...right? This episode showed that she does seem like a normal school girl.
__________________
Gintaro from Gingitsune
DXMichael is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 15:50   Link #117
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Shibuya Psychic Research
Ok Mei's explanation left me asking one thing, if she was the "ignored" this year because of the class going up by one, why wasnt Kouichi ignored from the beginning? From what I got they ignore someone to set off the dead person in the class. But Kouichi now increased the class by 1 again. How would ignoring 2 people reset the curse?


Sorry this is has been discussed but I didnt look thru 5 pages of posts
__________________
Break - Pandora HeartsManju's Stuff
"I will always remember
when the Doctor was me."
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 15:58   Link #118
Random32
Also a Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Not necessarily. Remember what Mei said this episode? The dead person is one from among those who died in connection to this phenomenon in the past. This means it was someone who did exist in context of class 3-3 before. So it is likely that we can assume that the altering of their memories is merely forgetting that this person ever died.
I still don't see how Misaki and Sakakibara could be dead

So, events happen like this
1. Some time before the kids of class 3-3 actually become class 3-3, Misaki is chosen to be ignored, making to be 3-3 class have 1 less than the required number of students
2. The extra dead person is added bringing the number up to the required number of students
3. Sakakibara joins, shit hits fan

Misaki must be alive since she existed before the dead person was added and Sakakibara must be alive since the dead person was already added before he was added.
Random32 is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 16:08   Link #119
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Wow, take me some time to understand this add-on thing and merging with all the previous info we speculated on and probably I need to re-watch the episode. So, I let that aside for now.
My question is simple, why Kouichi is not affected by the curse?
I mean, since it seems quite the rule now that who speaks about Misaki die. (The dead of the day was funny in the way that everyone, I bet, never had the time to say, ok, he is a dead man walk... that he died. )
So:
1. He is safe because entered the game afterward. Did he?
2. He is safe because he accepted Mei, but now it doesn't make much sense.
3. He is safe because he is already dead.


Plus, in this episode Mei was overcute so I got the feeling of some sad ending, as someone in the prev. pages already wrote, even if it doesn't seem that kind of show. Now Mei looks like a normal girl and Kouichi, well he is as usual impassible and focused, but now he sees her as a human being, a really cute human being so he could go all for her.

On a side note, it seems too that who is elected as the non-existent is safe. Kouichi is an exception cause he is an irregularity. So knowing the curse in advance I would volunteer to be the one for sure
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline  
Old 2012-02-07, 16:13   Link #120
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Ok Mei's explanation left me asking one thing, if she was the "ignored" this year because of the class going up by one, why wasnt Kouichi ignored from the beginning? From what I got they ignore someone to set off the dead person in the class. But Kouichi now increased the class by 1 again. How would ignoring 2 people reset the curse?
I don't get their logic either. It seems to me that Kouichi should be replacing Mei as the ignored person not joining her as an additional Ignoree. Think about it. Things were in balance with Kouichi in the class and Mei as the Ignoree. Things went out of whack when Kouichi chose not to ignore the Ignoree. So to rebalance things, they either need (A) a new Ignoree (singular) to replace Mei or (B) to convince Kouichi to start ignoring Mei ASAP. It's too late for option B to work, so they've gone with option A. Since Mei wasn't in school the day Kouichi became the Ignoree, we don't know yet if Mei will continue to be an Ignoree. My bet is that Mei will continue to be an Ignoree although it makes no sense for her to be so given what we know of the situation.

I think we still don't know all there is to know about how the curse works and how the countermeasures are supposed to circumvent the curse. I also believe that the students themselves don't know all there is to know. If I had to pick someone who is likely to know everything, I pick the librarian.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.