AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-11, 18:30   Link #921
Julio C

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
That was a fun episode to watch. A bunch of stuff happened in this episode that didn't need to split into two or three episodes this time.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 18:34   Link #922
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

And yet again, Bodacious Space Pirates keeps my interest. I marvel at seeing those tall buildings all on the water and I wonder if there is an artificial island there or is it built like a futuristic Venice in the middle of a large body of water? Seeing Marika go way high in a glass elevator was interesting although I hate glass elevators so I wouldn't enjoy that part. Interesting design with the escalators and the staircases though.

Liked Chiaki's coming aboard the Bentenmaru to train with Marika and of course, Chiaki's blush on the bridge too. I can only hope Chiaki becomes the Dark Queen of Marika's heart.

Schnitzer is also an interesting character, in how he tells Marika that Ririka is Ririka and that Marika should be her own person. He also seems to admire how Marika is starting to think on her own with being a Captain although it is also very good to see her struggle with some aspects and I liked that little moment of introspection in what was her father's room.

The Princess Apricot looks like an good futuristic cruise-liner and I suppose running into the space privateers is an added bonus on their cruise. Good to see Kane ham it up a little in his "fight" against Marika, who is not above shooting someone when she doesn't have a sword.

The next episode looks like the start of something big. I welcome the action, but I certainly don't mind what the series has shown so far in how little by little, you see how things are around the Tau Ceti system.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 18:38   Link #923
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Yeah there is a lot of water of Marika's home planet. And huge buildings....but it is mostly pretty, if used looking. Reminds me of something you might see in Star Wars.

There was one, I think, obvious Harlock homage in the training sequence. The model building bit. Harlock's First Mate was a model builder...airplanes and ships mostly. If he wasn't on duty, he was building models. Sometimes he'd even wave off on something because he was working on something tricky. Thinks like, boarding parties or landing on the surface of a planet...since they did have other people that could go instead of him..Harlcok was usually just asking if he wanted to go. Or course Harlock's rules were pretty much "do what you want". But his crew aways came together in combat...even if out of combat they sleep in the hallways, raced mice, or did whatever, as long as the ship and crew would survive.

I also noted they retracted stuff on the ship before going fast. And that the liner had made multiple space jumps of some sort.

Makes me wonder what the liners usually do. The old days the liners were hotels of the rich that moved between large ports across the Atlantic. These days it is all about what ports you will be seeing, more than just the cruise ship. So are they moving around seeing the stars? Stopping at interesting planets...or heading someplace to beat speed records (which can't be the case if they are expecting pirates to attack them as this was clearly expected by the ship's crew).

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-11 at 18:51.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 19:01   Link #924
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Yesterday, someone suggested I should take a look at this show. Now I have watched all six episodes, all of them with great enjoyment. The story works, and is told in a smart way. We already saw enough inoffensively comic villains in ep1 to realize that no important characters were going to be harmed in the making of this anime. Just an enjoyable romp with some nice characters, and at least some effort to have it make sense. Well done all round.

Komatsu Mikako (age 23, Joey in Heroman) may not be the world's greatest seiyuu, but she has acted in TV dramas and is creating a likable character here. Hanazawa Kana is giving us some of her breadth as Chiaki. And Itou Shizuka and Matsukaze Masaya are supporting them admirably. KOMATSU Mikako:

Director/writer Satou Tatsuo did Stellvia. This show does remind me of it.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-02-11 at 19:13.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 20:03   Link #925
Kyuu
=^^=

"Well, I've decided to be a pirate. But, let's enjoy the rest of summer."

Spoiler:

Just the first 2 minutes had me chuckling.

Anyways. You have this big ass central government in the middle of the ocean. And yet -- they allow a school to have a used pirate ship. What WERE these people thinking?

Now. The neatest thing about any space series -- you have the entire universe to play with - as far as devising up a story. Among these, creating a watery world. Whether things make sense or not - you have the future as an added excuse to back it up. Personally, I hope some kind of watery world exists, where at least 95% of the surface is ocean.
'
As far as Marika is concerned - despite her having "natural talent". She's still prone to rookie mistakes and the case of the nerves. So - despite the setting, these natural concepts are still grounded in.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 20:35   Link #926
00Coyote

00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 21:23   Link #927
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

Komatsu Mikako (age 23, Joey in Heroman) may not be the world's greatest seiyuu, but she has acted in TV dramas and is creating a likable character here. Hanazawa Kana is giving us some of her breadth as Chiaki. And Itou Shizuka and Matsukaze Masaya are supporting them admirably. KOMATSU Mikako:

Director/writer Satou Tatsuo did Stellvia. This show does remind me of it.
As much as I like her for voicing Marika (mostly because I already liked Marika from reading the novels), I have to say she doesn't have many ranges, yet (may be :P) All her characters can be easily recognized just from hearing (that big guy in Fam, Kuriyo in Symphogear, Aoi from drama CD 「L♡DK」, Saika from Yahari Ore no Seishun audio cd). I prefer her natural voice when hosting the Lady Go radio program, and looking forward to her song and PV

For why did Satou chose her, the question was asked during LOFT Plus One cross promotion event between Rinne and Pirates (Matsuoka Yoshitsugu was the representative for Rinne (he plays Array, and Sandaime in Pirates), and recorded in an interview by 2.5D

Quote:
――主人公の茉莉香に、小松未可子さんを起用された理由をお聞かせ下さい。

声が非常にまっすぐだということ。オーディションで色々と台詞喋ってもらったんですが、決め手はアルバイト をしている設定で「いらっしゃいませ」という一言が凄く良かったんですね。決め台詞は大体皆芝居をつけてく るので、あてにならない。普段の延長線上の戦闘になるので、戦闘の掛け声がうまくても、友達との会話等普通 の会話がそれっぽくないと今回は失敗するな、と。
In short, the decisive line was "Irasshaimase"
There is going to be an event on March 31st: "Anime Contents Expo" with Satou, Komatsu Mikako, Ishihara Kaori, and Seto Asami. Hopefully someone will record it

Regarding Mami, I think she will play more important role than her novel counterpart. In the novel she and Marika knew each other since Elementary school (got lost during entrance ceremony). And Sasamoto also posted these on his twitter some weeks ago after watching Rinne no Lagrange

Quote:
sasamotoU1 笹本祐一 2012/01/31(火) 01:57:29
日常話が楽しいねえ、ラグりん。

sasamotoU1 笹本祐一 2012/01/31(火) 01:58:39
えーと、ミニスカ宇宙海賊で水着話を不自然でなくやろーとするとお、どーすればいいんだ?

sasamotoU1 笹本祐一 2012/01/31(火) 01:59:13
そっか、リゾート惑星で一本でっち上げればいいのか。ダーペアな香りがするが。
He is probably going to write beach chapter, due to Marika's promise to Mami.

Lastly, I see people already worrying about how this anime is going to end, considering it will go original contents. Just enjoy what you can. Satou will probably follow Sasamoto's style of ending books: feel like it can continue much further, but better end it here kind of feelings

Spoiler:

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-02-11 at 23:01. Reason: my head hurts, like my English
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 21:50   Link #928
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Now that was interesting so space pirates is no more then a show
Old 2012-02-11, 21:56   Link #929
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Probably it is more than just a show. They are still considered a military force by the Galactic Empire. Also if the training is any indication (as well as the incident with the yacht club) there is real piracy around and likely things the legal pirates do for the governement to earn their keep aside from show piracy. Otherwise they would have been hunted down by now, and certainly would not be legal with massive paperwork.

Plus next week doesn't look like a show action.
Old 2012-02-11, 22:44   Link #930
Funkatron
King of the Castle

Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Probably it is more than just a show. They are still considered a military force by the Galactic Empire. Also if the training is any indication (as well as the incident with the yacht club) there is real piracy around and likely things the legal pirates do for the governement to earn their keep aside from show piracy. Otherwise they would have been hunted down by now, and certainly would not be legal with massive paperwork.

Plus next week doesn't look like a show action.
exactly. Its obvious that something is going to happen soon that will bring pirates back in true active service; then we'll know what Marika and co are truly made of.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 22:47   Link #931
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
certainly would not be legal with massive paperwork.
All that paper work and trouble... for a licence - that lasts only several weeks...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 23:02   Link #932
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

That lasts for seven weeks, if you do not engage in piracy. One assumes that if one can prove they engaged in piracy they get a renewal, either from the time they confirmed your act of piracy or at the end on your 50 days. That would seem more logical than having to come in to government offices every 50 days.

Though that does being up a question. Her father passed away, and his right to a Letter of Marque passes down to Marika. I wonder how long they had to get her to sign up to keep the Letter viable? And what would happen to the ship and crew if she delined the offer or if at a later date she is killed with no heir?

Also how is she to get out of school every 50 days to go pirating? Weekend pirate? Also if she ship is called for action by the government, how will they justify it to the school (well Marika is out saving the solar system)
Old 2012-02-11, 23:13   Link #933
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Side note observation, as I came into this series LATE and only yesterday.....

Lilica is surprisingly a surprisingly warm, loving and affectionate mother for someone who dosen't even allow her own daughter to call her "Mom."

Most women I know (and met) who do this are single mothers who treat their children as mistakes made by forgotten contraception, and wants to keep a cold-cold distance from them so 18 years later it will be effortlessly-easy to abandon them and start a new life, as there is not any love there to begin with.

Funny That.
Old 2012-02-12, 00:06   Link #934
Funkatron
King of the Castle

Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Side note observation, as I came into this series LATE and only yesterday.....

Lilica is surprisingly a surprisingly warm, loving and affectionate mother for someone who dosen't even allow her own daughter to call her "Mom."

Most women I know (and met) who do this are single mothers who treat their children as mistakes made by forgotten contraception, and wants to keep a cold-cold distance from them so 18 years later it will be effortlessly-easy to abandon them and start a new life, as there is not any love there to begin with.

Funny That.
To me, it seems that she groomed the daughter to think on her feet and be independent. Marika calling her by her given name is a sign that they see each other more like equals and adults rather than mother/child. A unique relationship indeed
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 00:08   Link #935
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
No one said Ririka doesn't allow it. Marika simply doesn't call her it, for some unspecified reason. We don't have any details.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 00:19   Link #936
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Though Markia calling Ririka "mom" did catch Ririka off guard. One assumes Marika doesn't call her "mom" often. I would get only when Marika is being formal.

Their ship looks to have three triple beam cannon turrets as the main guns. I can't confirm any other weapons unless the front part of the outer engine pods are weapons of some sort.

I don't know what the down on the bow is that they retracted before accelerating. The boom would seem to be a solar collector and probably part of the standard navigation rig, as that was what the Lightning 11 was using as their optical sensors when firing on the yacht club. One assumes they retract it to prevent damage, either from debris, or maybe just stress from the acceleration.

The question would be how their ship messures up to a warship...the "lost battleship" Lightning 11 was projecting seemed to be of the same configuration. Though their ship is rather old if it is one of the Original Seven.

At least they have artificial gravity.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-12 at 00:56.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 01:09   Link #937
FateAnomaly

The galactic empire seems to be pretty effective if the are able to eliminate piracy and regulate privateers.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 11:46   Link #938
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...

Woah, Marika sure did have to fill out a lot of paperwork to become a legal pirate....never thought I'd be saying those words together in a sentence...now that I read it, it seems rather strange She was forced away from her day out with her friend because of it though I bet she was ticked off after being left alone with all that swimming equipment.

Keep laughing at the times Marika says "Eh? Ehh? Ehhhhh!?" in this anime, it never gets old

That crew that has been teaching Marika and Chiaki look quite unique, especially that robot guy that teaches them hand to hand combat, he looks awesome

I never thought people would be so excited to be boarded by a pirate ship but as Kane said, there's not many left so it's a rare thing to experiance. None of them had to worry about their items becuase the ships insurance would just cover it

And that was some nice acting by Kane XD This episode has definately been a more eventful one, one of my favourite so far in this anime.
Old 2012-02-12, 13:01   Link #939
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Kane is playing something like a role I remember from the 1980s, He is the "Face" (as in A-Team) The hansome guy the can get into anywhere and con just about anyone. Though in these cases I'm not sure if he's conning the employers at all...just the passangers or students. Also tends to flirt with the ladies, though Kane doesn't seem to actively do this, but the ladies still come to him.
Old 2012-02-12, 13:41   Link #940
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
The galactic empire seems to be pretty effective if the are able to eliminate piracy and regulate privateers.
Well, they haven't eliminated piracy. We just saw some honest to god marqueless pirates last week.

And where did this Empire come from? What I remember of the narration in episode 1, there was a war of secession between Earth and the colonies, so who are these guys? Hitherto unseen aliens?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri