AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: This Is A Positive Development
Yes 5 41.67%
No 0 0%
Bunnies 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-10, 17:23   Link #1
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking Double Fine Adventure's Kickstarter Project By Tim Schafer

If you have played Adventure-Games, chances are, you have played a game made by Tim Schafer. Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, etc... The man has made some of the most memorable Adventure-Games known to gamers.

It is however, a niche market now, and as Tim explains, Game Publishers are kinda reluctant to invest in such games now.

Adventure-Games are amongst my favourite genres, and I have a Hell of a lot of fond memories and fun playing them. So when I caught wind of an article that mentioned what Tim is doing now... to create a funding for people to invest in, in an Adventure-Game made by his company, I was like, "HELL YEAH!"

You basically pre-order the game when you pledge US$15 to the project. Personally I pledged much more than that, but that's because I have loved all of Tim's creations thus far, so the amount of goodwill he has with me is pretty darn high.

Also, the furore caused by this project has apparently caught the interest of Planescape Torment's creator too, and he's musing over doing something similar to make another game set in PST's world.

What do you folks think of this? Gamers are literally "speaking with their wallets" on what are the games that they want to play, and shoving the middlemen (the publishers like EA or Activision) out of the equation.

Cheers.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-02-10 at 19:57. Reason: Sorry but no!
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 17:45   Link #2
Sides

Donated yesterday ^^
Radiohead, Einstuerzende Neubauten and there was a movie that did something similar back in the mid 2000s. Personally I love this idea, problem I see is that some people will confuse donating with investing, because they do not understand the difference, between donating and investing, and due to media miscoverage.
Other issue is that some people will cry that it is unfair and that only big names get backing form people. Here is the thing, those "people" are fans of these artist, developer or genre not just random people, that have too much money.
I do hope, after the successful of this campaign, smaller publisher will use these similar kind of "preorder" methods to fund locations of japanese games/movies/anime/manga, especially really niche titles that have a relative large following outside japan, like VN and such.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 18:24   Link #3
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

Haven't actually played too many of these games, just an interesting happening to me.
Old 2012-02-10, 20:00   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

A quick reminder folks that soliciting is not allowed in this forum. Petitions of any kind cannot be posted here, specially those that ask for donations. Feel free to discuss the project, but please leave the petition out.
Old 2012-02-11, 17:00   Link #5
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, the project itself has become kind of ridiculous in the amount of donations and backers that it has received. It's just bonkers.

So is meta discussion about the petition ok? *derp*
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 18:45   Link #6
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
So is meta discussion about the petition ok? *derp*
Well it is more about crowdsoursing, and how it can benefit projects, if I understand correctly. I mean it is comparable to petition but it is still different, as in petition you are not really committing yourself to anything, and to be honest petitions are useless.
Old 2012-02-11, 20:10   Link #7
Skane
Anime Snark

Well, to me, this is just a dream brought into reality... although not exactly. I have always dreamt of helping to fund a Planetarian movie from KyoAni, and this is literally the meme, "Shut Up & Take My Money" brought to life.

Cheers.
Old 2012-02-11, 22:29   Link #8
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Well, to me, this is just a dream brought into reality... although not exactly. I have always dreamt of helping to fund a Planetarian movie from KyoAni, and this is literally the meme, "Shut Up & Take My Money" brought to life.

Cheers.
lol. but LB! probably what people want

back to topic. this is nice idea but for little game. they system will fall if it a big project
Old 2012-02-12, 07:22   Link #9
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
lol. but LB! probably what people want
How about LB! VN localsation, I reckon a lot of people will be more interested in that than an anime.