AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 31 43.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 26.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-14, 07:53   Link #81
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
Well, I don't know according to Mei, the clause that she describes in the last episode
Thanks,I can see where you're getting at, when Mei says she uses the word "altered" figuratively I think she means that it's not someone who comes in and changes the documents manually.
Indeed "change" is a pretty vague term,there's lots of ways to change something.


Quote:
Spoiler for To be honest:
I'd say that if it were indeed just some trip,but the way the father said it seemed to imply he had lived there all his life until 18 months ago.

Quote:
How does it feel to be back after a year and a half away from Yomiyama
It's one thing to make a mistake about when your son last visited a village,it's another to make a mistake about where he lived his first 13 and a half years of his life.
Or the translation is again misleading.

I'll get to the rest of your theory a bit later,maybe in another post.Right now I want to adress some things Skyfall brought up.

@Skyfall

First off I want to add another thing that could be a clue to Reiko beeing the "another":Kouichi's father has a couple times asked him to tell grandpa and grandma he said hello,never does he mention Reiko,who is supposed to be in the same household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
there is the obvious issue of Reiko not being a student of the class 3, but I think this episode actually subtly and cleverly refuted that being a necessary requirement as well
I think sudents know this,Izumi said she had checked to see if Kouichi had any siblings,I think she did that because she would consider a sibling as a suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warita
But if we asume, that the extra dead person can appear outside the cursed classroom, why would they be short on one desk? This part doesnt make sense, because obviously there is one extra student in the classroom. Not an aunt who sits at home all the time and complains about headaches.
Kouichi acts as a proxy?The curse didn't take affect until he transfered in which meant the class was short of one desk.So while Reiko would be the "another" it's Kouichi's transfer that acts as the trigger.
__________________

Last edited by totoum; 2012-02-14 at 08:04.
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 08:05   Link #82
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Skyfall's theory about the dead one being Reiko makes a lot of sense. And yes it having to be a student in the current class could be misleading. I definitely think the Another is associated with Kouichi in some way and well his aunt works (of course I'll be kind of disappointed if we already guessed so I still hope there is more to it)

Also I think I misunderstood what the father said to Kouichi, I thought he meant Kouichi had been there 18 months ago not that he was away from the town for only 18 months. Can someone confirm? If it was he was away for only 18 months that is doubly eerie.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 08:08   Link #83
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Sounds interesting..... but in that case Reikos death was unrelated to the curse, because the family didnt have any family member in the 3rd class at that point.
Indeed, if we assume Reiko in fact died, that death probably would have been unrelated to the curse. But the manner of her would-be death isn't really the important factor here, it's that Koichi had some reason to be in the town 1.5 years ago, which he doesn't recall.

This both highlights the fact Koichi's memories have been tampered with (and thus we can't necessarily trust his perspective), and raises the question: what reason did he have to be in this backwater town 1.5 years ago? (To which the answer would be Reiko's funeral, since I'm working under the suspicion that she is the "another").

Quote:
But if we asume, that the extra dead person can appear outside the cursed classroom, why would they be short on one desk? This part doesnt make sense, because obviously there is one extra student in the classroom. Not an aunt who sits at home all the time and complains about headaches.
They weren't short one desk initially, but they became one desk short after Koichi started to attend school - he transferred in after the school year had already started. This is what the characters said specifically - "We had enough desks at the opening ceremony, but became one short after the transfer student arrived". To which the second student replied "So it can start a month later as well...".

If we go by the theory that Reiko is "Another", the number of seats in the class would have been correct indeed - she isn't a member of said class, and thus doesn't need one. The numbers in the class were in balance. Then came Koichi, and threw said number off balance - becoming an 'extra' desk and addition to the register. Since those seem to be the conditions to trigger the phenomenon (number of expected students+1), the ball started rolling at that point (The "it started a month late" remark).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Also I think I misunderstood what the father said to Kouichi, I thought he meant Kouichi had been there 18 months ago not that he was away from the town for only 18 months. Can someone confirm? If it was he was away for only 18 months that is doubly eerie.
"Been there 18 months ago" and "has been away from the town for 18 months" pretty much mean the same anyway in this context - that the last time Koichi visited Yomiyama was 18 months ago. We know Koichi normally lives in Tokyo and went to school there as well. Hence we have the question: what reason did he have to find himself in Yomiyama 1.5 years ago?
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 08:18   Link #84
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Also I think I misunderstood what the father said to Kouichi, I thought he meant Kouichi had been there 18 months ago not that he was away from the town for only 18 months. Can someone confirm? If it was he was away for only 18 months that is doubly eerie.
Well here's the exact quote:

Quote:
How does it feel to be back after a year and a half away from Yomiyama
I took that quote as meaning he was away from the town for only 18 months,that doesn't sound like something you say to someone who just visited the town 18 months ago,but who lived there until 18 months ago.
Or maybe the akward wording is due to the translation
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 08:35   Link #85
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
I wasnt paying 100% attention yesterday to the libriarians explanation, but if I remember correctly, he said that one of the anothers was a girl name Mami and she was originally a member of a different class, but that particular year she appeared on the roster for the thrid class. After the year was over, she reappeared in her original class.

Now, I didt quite get this? Was she a dead person even before she got "transferred" into the 3rd class..... or did the real Mami disappear for one year and a dead person took her identity?
warita is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 08:56   Link #86
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Age: 25
So when they say the curse doesn't affect your loved if they're outside Yomiyama, does it only mean that they're not in danger, and but can still have their memories altered? Because it sounded like to me that the father had his memory changed as soon as he side it.
__________________
They say you don't grow up
You just grow old,
It's safe to say I haven't done both.
ttdestroy is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:00   Link #87
TheEroKing
On a Break
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
So when they say the curse doesn't affect your loved if they're outside Yomiyama, does it only mean that they're not in danger, and but can still have their memories altered? Because it sounded like to me that the father had his memory changed as soon as he side it.
Or it could be that Kouichi never heard what his father was actually saying after the disturbance in the line and the curse was at work.
__________________
TheEroKing is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:02   Link #88
DesuX2
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I took that quote as meaning he was away from the town for only 18 months,that doesn't sound like something you say to someone who just visited the town 18 months ago,but who lived there until 18 months ago.
Or maybe the akward wording is due to the translation
Actually I took that line to be deliberately confusing, but translated correctly. The author of Another (I have not read it, but if it was adapted as is from a novel, it really is a stunning adaption) appears to be an expert at using metaphors and words to confuse the truth.

We know this metaphor confusion to be true since the idea of a "dead one" is used as an overriding metaphor for social isolation for at least eps 1-4.

It could lean both ways, but I would lean more heavily towards the view that Kouichi lived in Tokyo from birth till Junior High, but for some unknown reason visited Yomiyama one and a half years ago for an unknown reason then forgot about it because it was not important.
__________________
DesuX2 is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:03   Link #89
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Indeed, if we assume Reiko in fact died, that death probably would have been unrelated to the curse.
Wait, why is that? She was in class 9-3 15 years ago. The curse calamity could have taken out both her and her sister that year, much like it took both Yukari and her mom.
__________________
KEION!GEEK - a K-On! fan blog
Goggen is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:20   Link #90
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Because by the time she died she should be out of the class. People isn't supposed to be affected when they leave the class.

My wild theory for now is that the MC is the Another. Everyone in the family including himself is subjected to the memory alteration.

Too bad the dance segment isn't real. That totally rocks.
FateAnomaly is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:24   Link #91
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Wait, why is that? She was in class 9-3 15 years ago. The curse calamity could have taken out both her and her sister that year, much like it took both Yukari and her mom.
Because if she's the "another" and died 15 years ago,why is she showing up in the body of a woman that's older than a highschool girl?
For exemple in the other case the another that was a student in 1993 showed up as a student the same age in 1996.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:26   Link #92
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Wait, why is that? She was in class 9-3 15 years ago. The curse calamity could have taken out both her and her sister that year, much like it took both Yukari and her mom.
That assertion was made under the assumption that Koichi's reason for returning to Yomiyama 1.5 years ago would be to attend Ritsuko's funeral. Assuming that is indeed the case, I find it unlikely the "curse" would have been the cause of her death - it's unlikely she had any relatives attending class 3-3 ~ 1.5 years ago.

Either way, the cause of her death (as in, natural or supernatural) would be fairly inconsequential - what matters is whether Ritsuko did indeed die 18 months ago (and thus her current status as "Another" as result), knowing "how" doesn't really add anything to the equation, and as such wouldn't be really important either way in the grand scheme of things.

Incidentally, that would also go for the theory of her dying 15 years ago - the ultimately important question to answer is "Did Ritsuko die", not "when" or "how". Both times of death could work (15 years ago and 18 months ago), but I prefer the 18 months ago theory, as it adds a reason to Koichi having visited Yomiyama said 18 months ago. Then there is the bird - if Ritsuko had died 15 years ago, it wouldn't have any recollection of her (And thus no constant "Why, Rei-chan, why), as the lifespan of Myna birds is only a couple of years - this specific bird was a few generations away from even becoming an egg at the time

And then there is her appearance - assuming the "Another" retain their appearance as it was at the time of their death, Reiko doesn't look like a highschool student at all, but a grown up.
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:28   Link #93
Kitsu Breaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Misaki and Kouchi dance going to be one of the moment i going to remember in the end of year
__________________
Kitsu Breaker is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:31   Link #94
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
the lifespan of Myna birds is only a couple of years - this specific bird was a few generations away from even becoming an egg at the time .
I'll adress other stuff later but I want to say someone checked the lifespan a few episodes ago (I can find the post if you want) and the lifespan was 15-20 years,not 2.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:32   Link #95
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
The Another has got to be someone in the class. The whole incident started because the class back then add Another to the class roster. If the Another can be outside the class, then it effectively means the whole class is already effectively ignoring it.
FateAnomaly is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:39   Link #96
Unknown Soldier
:D
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Okay, I just realized that it's actually pretty much obvious why Mei was chosen to be the ignored person. Her cousin died on April 26th. She took her place at the beat-up corner desk on May 1st. During those few days, the class asked her to be the ignored person. Why?

Because her cousin died. Therefore, she could not be the Other, because one of her relatives died! She would therefore be the most obvious candidate for this unpleasant job, since they were certain she wasn't the Other. Furthermore she now knows the pain of losing a family member to the calamity and would be willing to sacrifice herself so that no one else in the class would have to endure such pain, or live in constant fear of death themselves.

The story about the class member 2 years ago who couldn't take the isolation anymore and declared he existed, restarting the calamity that year, is also instructive. The class had to be certain, and Mei had to be certain, that she could handle this burden for a whole year or risk disaster for everyone. In many ways Mei is the strongest of them all for willingly accepting this role. And she's unbelievably cute. <3
Unknown Soldier is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:44   Link #97
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
"Been there 18 months ago" and "has been away from the town for 18 months" pretty much mean the same anyway in this context - that the last time Koichi visited Yomiyama was 18 months ago. We know Koichi normally lives in Tokyo and went to school there as well. Hence we have the question: what reason did he have to find himself in Yomiyama 1.5 years ago?
But that's my point it actually means something very different in the context of the story. Yes we now know Kouichi was in that town 18 months ago but it seems the dialog is vague enough to question if he was just visiting for a short time or he had actually been there a long time and was only away for a year and a half.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:45   Link #98
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
That assertion was made under the assumption that Koichi's reason for returning to Yomiyama 1.5 years ago would be to attend Ritsuko's funeral. Assuming that is indeed the case, I find it unlikely the "curse" would have been the cause of her death - it's unlikely she had any relatives attending class 3-3 ~ 1.5 years ago.
That's not necessarily the case. She could have been the assistant homeroom teacher of class 3 a year and a half ago, which was... 1996, a year that was extensively discussed in this episode and we know the curse claimed several victims. If you think about it, we don't know anything about her including what kind of job she has/had, unless I forgot about it, which is possible (can anybody confirm or deny?). If she is another, then she has to have been a victim of the curse, otherwise that means we can discard pretty much everything we learned those past two episodes as total bullshit, and I wouldn't be too happy about that. "Another" has to fit the criteria that were presented to us.

I did a bit more thinking after my lost where I presented Miss Mikami and Reiko as the biggest suspect, and realized


I rewatched the scene at the library in the hope the librarian's explanation would make more sense, but I only noticed one more inconsistency: at some point during the conversation, he said he remembers Mami Asakura was absent from the records of 1993 and present in 1996, and later claims that once the school year ends, "Another" is erased from people's memories and the records go back to normal. Does not compute.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:46   Link #99
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
this specific bird was a few generations away from even becoming an egg at the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'll adress other stuff later but I want to say someone checked the lifespan a few episodes ago (I can find the post if you want) and the lifespan was 15-20 years,not 2.
That was me who did the Googling on myna bird lifespans. I found several sources that said 10 to 15 years was the average life span for a pet bird and that some mynas in zoos had lived for 25 years.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now  
Old 2012-02-14, 09:48   Link #100
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'll adress other stuff later but I want to say someone checked the lifespan a few episodes ago (I can find the post if you want) and the lifespan was 15-20 years,not 2.
I double checked just now (the things anime make us look up ), and it looks like their life span can vary a good deal based on the actual sub-species (of which there are many) of the bird, mostly falling in the 10-20 year range, with some exceptions towards either end.

So I suppose the bird "could" have been alive even 15 years ago, but I find it rather unlikely, though the possibility can't be discounted. Though there are other things that point at it being 1.5 years rather than 15 years, ultimately it sill wouldn't matter much, like I noted above - the important part is whether Ritsuko died, at all, information beyond that would be mostly dressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's not necessarily the case. She could have been the assistant homeroom teacher of class 3 a year and a half ago, which was... 1996, a year that was extensively discussed in this episode and we know the curse claimed several victims. If you think about it, we don't know anything about her including what kind of job she has/had, unless I forgot about it, which is possible (can anybody confirm or deny?). If she is another, then she has to have been a victim of the curse, otherwise that means we can discard pretty much everything we learned those past two episodes as total bullshit, and I wouldn't be too happy about that. "Another" has to fit the criteria that were presented to us.
Indeed, we don't know the first thing about Reiko nor her job, so I suppose she "could" have been (still is?) a teacher back then. The Librarian guy did say teachers and assistant teachers have died as well. Makes me wonder if said information about Reiko is deliberately being withheld from us.

On another note, perhaps I have overlooked it (wouldn't be the first time ), but why would an "Another" necessarily have to be someone who died due to the phenomenon previously ? Chances are I missed it indeed, but I can't seem to recall such being mentioned by either Mei or the librarian. (In case it was Mei who said that, I claim defense by being too distracted with her to pay attention to the words )
__________________

Last edited by Skyfall; 2012-02-14 at 09:58.
Skyfall is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.