AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 36 36.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 40.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 10.10%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-15, 09:58   Link #81
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Let's put it in another way, Hitagi is a weak person that can neither rely on nor stand herself and unaware of the facade she maintains is to comfort and lie to herself, while Tsubasa was/is/will be fine by herself, and understands very well how hypocritic she behaves, but does not have any alternative given her circumstances.

Now 99% of people prefer the first as a partner, because by nature they will be needed, while in Tsubasa's case they must be good enough to maintain the relationship. Koyomi, just went with the easy option and develops the relevant mentality, plus being a masochist helps with practical issues of being around Hitagi, since he enjoys the her abuse. On the other hand from what I have seen and read this far Tsubasa is fine with just being his friend until Koyomi grows up and out of comfort to look for a mature relationship...

... kind of sucks that Nise airs before Kizu, where Tsubasa and Koyomi get a lot of background and their way of thinking is exposed; but given how popular Hitagi was, since they focused the TV episodes around her, it is logical to misunderstand Tsubasa and oversimplify Koyomi's personality.

TL;DR: Hitagi is easy to like, while Tsubasa is way too complicated and volatile to even understand.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 10:20   Link #82
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Eh? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that Hitagi was strong. The way she took care of her condition on her own before Araragi, refusing even Kanbaru's longtime friendship; being seemingly unaffected by her poverty, but remaining dignified; acting calmly when Araragi's beaten to near death many times, etc etc.

As for Tsubasa, I don't know. I've read the translated Kizu, but I've never given her personality much thought/find her a little boring. Maybe you can enlighten me.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 10:35   Link #83
Malkuth
Banned

^ The crab took care of her condition

As for Tsubasa... boring? OK, that's strange, how so?
Old 2012-02-15, 11:40   Link #84
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
^ The crab took care of her condition
???

Quote:

As for Tsubasa... boring? OK, that's strange, how so?
Just that I don't see anything beyond the intelligent, witty, straight-laced girl..... with big boobs...
Old 2012-02-15, 12:02   Link #85
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
???
Hitagi's problem was the weight of her thoughts (in a way her inability to deal with the breaking up of her family by herself and how that affected her personality)... the crab took that away, and now Koyomi does by giving her a punching bag.

Quote:
Just that I don't see anything beyond the intelligent, witty, straight-laced girl..... with big boobs...
Add caring about others and having the most complicated circumstances that does not bother others with, and beyond all these I don't know what else can make a character interesting
Old 2012-02-15, 12:27   Link #86
Clarste
Human

Hitagi did the opposite of taking care of herself. She ran away from her problems and pretended she had none (via magical crab god). Which is why she has no friends, a broken family, etc. She could probably have kept going like that indefinitely but it's not like she wanted to.

Tsubasa is... also running away from her problems, in a different way. She rarely says want she wants, and in fact often denies herself what she wants in order to keep up her image. You can't look at her in a straightforward way, she's defined by what she's not saying.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 19:28   Link #87
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Ah, okay I see what u guys are saying. Personally I wouldn't call her weak for wanting the weight of her trauma off her. What high school girl
Can deal with that sort of thing on her own?

Agree about Tsubasa too. Still find her normal though...boring was a bit harsh.
Old 2012-02-15, 20:06   Link #88
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Ah, okay I see what u guys are saying. Personally I wouldn't call her weak for wanting the weight of her trauma off her. What high school girl
Can deal with that sort of thing on her own?
Tsubasa
Old 2012-02-15, 20:09   Link #89
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Tsubasa
if she really could deal it on her won she wouldn't be turning into Black-Tsubasa. She handles it better then Hitagi but it will get to her sooner or later.
Old 2012-02-15, 20:13   Link #90
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
if she really could deal it on her won she wouldn't be turning into Black-Tsubasa. She handles it better then Hitagi but it will get to her sooner or later.
The way I understood it is that the cat was doing her a favour by offering an easy (but unnecessary) way to vend of all that stress. But I am not sure if this is the case, I guess it is detailed in the first Nekomonogatari, which I plan to read soon.
Old 2012-02-15, 23:38   Link #91
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Tsubasa
I would put near rape and insane mother slightly above Tsubasa's situation. Plus, in the end she had to be helped anyway, and didn't manage to deal with it on her own....
Old 2012-02-16, 00:52   Link #92
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
I would put near rape and insane mother slightly above Tsubasa's situation. Plus, in the end she had to be helped anyway, and didn't manage to deal with it on her own....
i wouldn't say what happen to Hitagi is worst then Tsubasa' situation. They both imo equally bad in different ways.
Old 2012-02-16, 03:23   Link #93
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I think it is. We don't see Tsubasa with bruises often, so I like I think that the physical abuse she suffers is rare and avoidable by staying out of her house. At least I hope so.
Old 2012-02-16, 08:15   Link #94
Shikijin

I finally understood the sense of a pun here. Among the games one can play with hanafuda there was an old one called Hachi-Hachi (eight eight). I though it was just the old name for Koi-Koi, but there really was such a game. Hachikuiji in the novel said that she likes Hachi-Hachi because of her name (Hachikuji = 8 9 temple).

This is the reason why later Araragi started calling her Hachihachiji (8 8 temple).
Shikijin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 12:07   Link #95
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I finally understood the sense of a pun here. Among the games one can play with hanafuda there was an old one called Hachi-Hachi (eight eight). I though it was just the old name for Koi-Koi, but there really was such a game. Hachikuiji in the novel said that she likes Hachi-Hachi because of her name (Hachikuji = 8 9 temple).

This is the reason why later Araragi started calling her Hachihachiji (8 8 temple).
Wow, that's good. If these series are ever licensed, they will need a book with explanations.

Come on NISA!!
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 12:37   Link #96
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
I think it is. We don't see Tsubasa with bruises often, so I like I think that the physical abuse she suffers is rare and avoidable by staying out of her house. At least I hope so.
Isn't that in itself a big problem? Just because there are no physical bruise doesn't mean there are no emotional ones. Emotional bruise are harder to heal then physical bruises.
Old 2012-02-16, 13:08   Link #97
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Yes, but I'm looking at the bright side of it, which is that she's able to escape from it.
Old 2012-02-16, 17:36   Link #98
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Wow, that's good. If these series are ever licensed, they will need a book with explanations.

Come on NISA!!
Nise has already been licensed by Aniplex USA.
Old 2012-02-16, 18:05   Link #99
Romanticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Nise has already been licensed by Aniplex USA.
I think he or she meant NIS of America.

Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 18:07   Link #100
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

I know what NISA is; I'm just saying that it already got licensed lol.