AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-02-21, 12:31   Link #21
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

I actually forgot about this thread
Since I saw that admins/mods are planing to update Vbulletin soon, I thought it would be good idea for this. There is not much to say that I didn't said in my posts in this thread before. All I can say it's useful, and it can't be abused in any way

The way to instal this should be fairly simple.

Here are the links to the plug-in/s...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...rsonal+notepad
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=181811

Thank you in advance

~ MK
Old 2012-02-21, 18:46   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't think it's worth the time or effort to implement this. Message forums are all about spreading information and communicating with others - it's not an Office Suite.

"Notepad"-like services, checklists, and other forms of life organization and memory aids are very useful things. Heck, I make use of them very heavily in my day to day activities. I think everyone should have a forum-independent service and method, though. I think people will get more use out of a forum-independent service, program, or method. It seems more practical for overall life usage.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:51   Link #23
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

^What I get from your post is that this feature shouldn't be implanted because there are other "Notepad"-like services that can be found on the net. Maybe you are satisfied with using other services like that, but I am not.
Why should I (and others) seek 'help' from outside services, when this feature is very simple and useful. Yes there are other ways to keep the info you want, but that excuse can be used for anything. (why do we upload images here on site, when we can do that via other site/s. Why did we need new BB codes for videos, when we can simple link them?).
This feature is very helpful for any member to store all kinds of info, links etc etc. It's not practical to post notes, info etc related for this forum on another site/s.

To put it simple, this feature doesn't have to be used by everyone. If you don't like it or don't want to use it, then don't. Simple ignore it like some people do here with reputation feature.

The only negative thing about this is that requires a plug-in so it can be installed. A plug-in/s I provided in my post above. Of course I am not asking for this feature to be implanted right now, but when admins/mods upgrade forum to a new version.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:51   Link #24
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
^What I get from your post is that this feature shouldn't be implanted because there are other "Notepad"-like services that can be found on the net. Maybe you are satisfied with using other services like that, but I am not.
That was partly it, but it goes beyond that. You want to use the notepad to jot down certain ideas and other things to serve as reminders or mental organization, right? I am all for those types of things, but to have one at AnimeSuki? If people use AnimeSuki all day long, and if it's the first site that they access each day, then I could see the value of it. I don't think that most users are doing that, though. If implemented, I'd imagine that people who discovered the notepad feature might initially think it neat, write something down, but then they would forget that they had written anything there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you hope to use the feature for. If you don't mind my asking, what sorts of things would you envision writing in there? And, as someone who occasionally goes for periods of days or even weeks without logging in, do you truly think that you will remember that you wrote information in there, and that the information will still be useful to you at that time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
(why do we upload images here on site, when we can do that via other site/s. Why did we need new BB codes for videos, when we can simple link them?).
Because all of those features are helpful in the spread of information or sharing of ideas. Note how none of these features are about posting to yourself - it's about making it available to others. A private notepad that isn't shared with others doesn't fit with that.

If a staff member claims that this is a cinch to implement and goes ahead and does it, I won't complain. I won't use it, but I don't think that it would detract from the forum. I just don't see the point.