AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-23, 05:35   Link #1201
-Sho-
~Omedetô~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell !
I don't mind "friendship ending" , at first this anime introduced us Karuta & they did a great job for that , i'm really interested everytimes they are playing it. Then the chara development for every characters.
Romance is just a minor factor next to them.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 05:58   Link #1202
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I must say I liked Taichi from the beginning. I dont care about the rich boy part.... I just thought he is cool and cute. So yes, he has flaws, but then who doesnt? The flaws actually make him likeable because you can identify with him better... unlike with Arata, who ist 2D at best. What do we know about Arata? He is silent, obsessive with Karuta and adored his grandpa. Thats it.
I really don't want to get into a shipping war by pointing out all the flaws I disagree with in Taichi. I'll just give a few examples.

For instance, the reason a lot a of people are giving Taichi the benefit of the doubt is because he is good looking. If he looks like Retro guy, a lot of people will not be as kind.

Another point is that although I agree Taichi has grown, he still remains very much the coward inside. For example, he does try to go for Chihiya because he is afraid of rejection. Also, he is still spiteful. When he lost to Nishida, he did not really react very sportsmanlike.

Anyway, Taichi would not be someone I would want as a friend, as it gets tiring for your friend to always want to be better than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
However, what I dont understand is why he cant just give the number to Chihaya. He could just walk over to her and say: "Here you go, I changed my mind. Give me a ring when you feel like it." He doesnt need to ask Taichis permision, even if Chihaya was dating Taichi.... thats what I think.
Arata has always been honorable. Yes, nice guys finish last and all, but that does not mean he is not a great guy. Only a jerk would not respect another person's relationship, in which this case, Arata thought that Taichi was in a relationship with Chihiya. Then again, a lot of girls like jerks, so to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We're not overlooking his flaws, quite the contrary in fact. We like him because of them. He has flaws, he knows it, and he's trying his hardest to overcome them. That's what makes him such an interesting and likable character. He'd be a bit boring if he were perfect.
I admit he has improved. All the characters have flaws. However, Taichi's flaws have been consistent. He is still a coward, although, thankfully, he no longer goes with his urge to use underhanded methods.

I guess one of the biggest issue is that, do you trust him to be there for you when you need it? He has conflicts in his mind, and oftentime, does what his best for him. He puts up an image of what others expect him to do, not what he genuinely wants to do. It is hard to trust someone like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Meanwhile, I think on some level Taichi may have felt it wasn't fair to make his move for Chihaya when Arata wasn't around to fight back. Now that Arata has more or less laid his cards on the table, perhaps Taichi will feel it's time to go to town himself.
I really don't think this was the case. Taichi has tried, but hesitated due to his fear of rejection, not because he respected Arata. While Arata has obviously shown respect, as evidence by this episode. Taichi has shown a lot of jealousy, and at times, wants to block the relationship between Arata and Chihiya if he could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Holy shit dude. Your sense of justice is totally warped and scary. Kids are kids - they shouldn't have to suffer lifelong for a stupid prank that they eventually apologized for. That is totally unfitting punishment for the crime. Arata let him off with a "you're a coward" which was very suitable. Nothing of value was really lost and a lifelong friendship was gained.
Let's not attack another poster for his opinion. Besides, Taichi has been a coward for quite a while. Only his last line this episode made it seem like he will actually improve from that.

Either way, as a character, Taichi has fundamental characteristics that make him unlikeable to me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I am sure there are things about him that make a lot of people like him and forgive his flaws. However, to me, those flaws underly his character, and its not easily acceptable for me.
__________________
<img src=http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=4341&pictureid=57813 border=0 alt= />
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 06:53   Link #1203
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I really don't want to get into a shipping war by pointing out all the flaws I disagree with in Taichi. I'll just give a few examples.

For instance, the reason a lot a of people are giving Taichi the benefit of the doubt is because he is good looking. If he looks like Retro guy, a lot of people will not be as kind.
Because Arata isn't drawn to be good looking? All 3 of the main characters are good looking, I don't think anyone is giving Taichi the benefit of the doubt because he "looks good"



Quote:
Also, he is still spiteful. When he lost to Nishida, he did not really react very sportsmanlike.
No but it was something that happened at the moment after he was disappointed he lost. He later admitted he was wrong.

Quote:
Anyway, Taichi would not be someone I would want as a friend, as it gets tiring for your friend to always want to be better than you.

I hardly see how Taichi's goal is to want to be better than anyone. He sees Arata as a rival but that is not necessarily a bad thing. You can be rivals and friends. Think of their two teachers, think of Hikaru & Akira in Hikaru no Go.




Quote:
I guess one of the biggest issue is that, do you trust him to be there for you when you need it? He has conflicts in his mind, and oftentime, does what his best for him. He puts up an image of what others expect him to do, not what he genuinely wants to do. It is hard to trust someone like that.
You mean the way Chihaya was there for him after he lost his match instead of running over to see Arata play and not even thinking of how he might feel?

I don't see how he isn't there for his friends.

Quote:
Taichi has shown a lot of jealousy, and at times, wants to block the relationship between Arata and Chihiya if he could.
No just the opposite, Taichi has never tried to block Chihaya's relationship with Arata. He showed her his phone call, he lets her know when Arata is there, he tells Arata to give her his cell phone no and he tells Arata right away they are not in a relationship.



Quote:
Let's not attack another poster for his opinion. Besides, Taichi has been a coward for quite a while. Only his last line this episode made it seem like he will actually improve from that.
No Taichi has been improving & growing throughout the series. All that line did (and his refusal to take Class A like that) was show how far he has come.


Quote:
Yes, nice guys finish last and all, but that does not mean he is not a great guy.
Taichi might be flawed but he is definitely a "nice guy". This is not a compteition between the nice guy and the jerk at all.

edited: since I am no longer rushing out the door to get to work.
__________________

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-02-23 at 10:04.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 10:18   Link #1204
KRegnard
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Someone please make a gif of the zooming in on Sensei's expression of shock at the end of episode 20, that was epic.
KRegnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 10:38   Link #1205
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 31
Quote:
nyway, Taichi would not be someone I would want as a friend, as it gets tiring for your friend to always want to be better than you.
You do realize that we are getting much more from Taichi than his friends are given that we are looking inside his head right? If you could looks inside of every one of your friend's heads you would starting thinking they are all horrible, horrible people. The point is that we all are good to different degrees at putting on social masks, Taichi being no exception.

Furthermore, and this is something I like about Taichi's depiction, he feels human more than an ideal, he feels real rather than an idealized author depiction of the energy of youth. And above all, he strives to be a better person despite being imperfect. That's what people like the most about him.

I guess the underlying message is that it's not that people like Taichi disregarding his flaws. They like him in spite, or even because of them.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 15:29   Link #1206
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
I really do not want to get into a shipping war, so I'll try to be brief in my responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Because Arata isn't drawn to be good looking? All 3 of the main characters are good looking, I don't think anyone is giving Taichi the benefit of the doubt because he "looks good"
The fact that other characters look good still does not detract from the fact that Taichi looks good. The point was, if he was not drawn to look good, the average reaction to him will not gain the same support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No but it was something that happened at the moment after he was disappointed he lost. He later admitted he was wrong.
It was still his initial response. It is his character. However, I do admit that he has improved in his character enough to admit he was wrong. It still does not take away the fact that he originally reacted that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I hardly see how Taichi's goal is to want to be better than anyone. He sees Arata as a rival but that is not necessarily a bad thing. You can be rivals and friends. Think of their two teachers, think of Hikaru & Akira in Hikaru no Go.
He has been grown and bred by his parents to excel above everyone else. That is still very much a part of his heart and who he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
You mean the way Chihaya was there for him after he lost his match instead of running over to see Arata play and not even thinking of how he might feel?

I don't see how he isn't there for his friends.
I'm not talking about Chihaya. She has her own issues. My point was that Taichi seems to put up an image of what he should do, but not exactly what he wants to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No just the opposite, Taichi has never tried to block Chihaya's relationship with Arata. He showed her his phone call, he lets her know when Arata is there, he tells Arata to give her his cell phone no and he tells Arata right away they are not in a relationship.
I guess we view his actions differently. I don't want to list all the moments, but essentially, when Arata is mentioned around Taichi, he goes into I don't want Arata to get close to Chihaya mode. One clear cut example is when they first met Arata after all these years, and Taichi pulls Chihiya almost immediately away instead of trying to talk and help out Arata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No Taichi has been improving & growing throughout the series. All that line did (and his refusal to take Class A like that) was show how far he has come.
As I mentioned before, he has been improving, so I agree with you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Taichi might be flawed but he is definitely a "nice guy". This is not a compteition between the nice guy and the jerk at all.
If Taichi was such a nice guy, he would not have treated his "girlfriend" that way. Then again, we should agree that we disagree in this area. He might not be black and white, but I would not classify him as a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You do realize that we are getting much more from Taichi than his friends are given that we are looking inside his head right?
Although we do get inside his head more than others, we are often left to interpret a lot of his thoughts and actions. That is where the difference in opinion occurs.

Yes, he is flawed, but accepting those flaws and recognizing them is up to each individual person. The flaws I see in him could be different from the flaws other people see in him.

Anyway, this is all I want to discuss about Taichi. I most likely will not further discuss this topic for the time being.
__________________
<img src=http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=4341&pictureid=57813 border=0 alt= />
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 16:21   Link #1207
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You do realize that we are getting much more from Taichi than his friends are given that we are looking inside his head right? If you could looks inside of every one of your friend's heads you would starting thinking they are all horrible, horrible people. The point is that we all are good to different degrees at putting on social masks, Taichi being no exception.

Furthermore, and this is something I like about Taichi's depiction, he feels human more than an ideal, he feels real rather than an idealized author depiction of the energy of youth. And above all, he strives to be a better person despite being imperfect. That's what people like the most about him.

I guess the underlying message is that it's not that people like Taichi disregarding his flaws. They like him in spite, or even because of them.
I think the reason we like Taichi is that he's perpetually struggling. Against his fears, against his darker impulses, against pressures that only Tsutomu and maybe Nishida notice... Sometimes, he loses the struggle. But the point is, he got up and started fighting again.

Arata, OTOH, is so "perfect", everything seem to come easily to him, whether it's karuta or his being "nice". Compared to Taichi's daily frustrations, he had one big tragedy (his grandfather's death), and he went to pieces over it. I don't dislike Arata, but I guess I relate to him less.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 16:45   Link #1208
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I really do not want to get into a shipping war, so I'll try to be brief in my responses.
Okay but to be clear my response to you had nothing to do with shipping.

I will say briefly how I feel about shipping: I would prefer a Taichi/Chihaya ending (not for the anime but overall) but I am leaning (not 100%) towards it being Arata/Chihaya. However if it is Arata/Chihaya I am not going to write off the series. I do think there are much more important things to the story than "who ends up with who" and ultimately I just want Taichi to be happy, no matter what ending he gets. I don't want him to have to settle because from a story perspective that would be disappointing.


But my debate with you was more in terms of characterization not shipping or who should end up with who.



Quote:
The fact that other characters look good still does not detract from the fact that Taichi looks good. The point was, if he was not drawn to look good, the average reaction to him will not gain the same support.

Well I think that is bit condescending to Taichi fans. I am sorry but I don't like and defend his character because he "looks good". I like and defend his character because I feel he is an extremely well written and well rounded character, looks have nothing to do with it.

Now while I am a woman, I know quite a few of the Taichi defenders on here are guys so I certainly don't think they are biased by his looks. But I am not either and I think that is a very shallow way to look at a character.

And there are plenty of aesthetically pleasing characters that I would not defend because they are poorly written. I defend Taichi because he is the exact opposite of that to me.



Quote:
It was still his initial response. It is his character. However, I do admit that he has improved in his character enough to admit he was wrong. It still does not take away the fact that he originally reacted that way.
But do you understand that a lot of us love Taichi's character because of negative moments like that. We enjoy his flaws and we enjoy seeing him overcome them. It's okay for us that Taichi makes mistakes like that.

And yes while he is growing and improving that doesn't mean I think he will never make another mistake again. If he didn't that would just be boring.

Quote:
He has been grown and bred by his parents to excel above everyone else. That is still very much a part of his heart and who he is.
And what makes him a great character is he is trying to overcome what was drilled into him since a child.

Quote:
I'm not talking about Chihaya. She has her own issues. My point was that Taichi seems to put up an image of what he should do, but not exactly what he wants to do.
I know you weren't talking about Chihaya. I only brought that moment up to contrast what you are saying about Taichi. I don't see what Taichi did is any worse than what other characters have done at times.

Please note: I am not trying to say Chihaya is a bad character in comparison to Taichi. She's not! But no character is perfect in this series.

Quote:
I guess we view his actions differently. I don't want to list all the moments, but essentially, when Arata is mentioned around Taichi, he goes into I don't want Arata to get close to Chihaya mode. One clear cut example is when they first met Arata after all these years, and Taichi pulls Chihiya almost immediately away instead of trying to talk and help out Arata.
Well besides the fact of that being early in the series I disagree that was clear cut at all. Arata was being rude to Chihaya and Taichi saw that Chihaya was upsetting Arata so he took her out of the situation. If anything I think Taichi read the situation clearer than Chihaya did.

And when Arata was riding his bicycle towards them both Chihaya& Taichi were happy to see him (the way Taichi reacted to Arata in this episode with tears in his eyes should show you how much Taichi cares about Arata).

Even if it hurts a little to see Chihaya go after Arata (which I think is a natural feeling) Taichi has never once purposely kept Chihaya away from Arata.



Quote:
If Taichi was such a nice guy, he would not have treated his "girlfriend" that way. Then again, we should agree that we disagree in this area. He might not be black and white, but I would not classify him as a nice guy.
I think people are too hung up on this girlfriend issue. The girl wasn't even a character. Maybe Taichi did not treat her right or maybe she was the one who treated him badly before he broke up with her. Maybe she was a sweet girl, maybe she was extremely shallow. We know nothing about this girl at all, nor do we know how serious their relationship actually was. The storyline comes off as something the manga-ka wanted to introduce and then dropped and that's all.

And besides the guy is in his first year of High School, if I was to judge all boys & girls on their relationships then I would be condeming a lot of good kids.

And yes I think Taichi is ultimately a good kid. He makes mistakes sometimes but the point is he wants to improve himself and that is what makes him an admirable character & yes definitely a nice guy.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 17:16   Link #1209
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Arata, OTOH, is so "perfect", everything seem to come easily to him, whether it's karuta or his being "nice". Compared to Taichi's daily frustrations, he had one big tragedy (his grandfather's death), and he went to pieces over it. I don't dislike Arata, but I guess I relate to him less.
Arata is anything but far from perfect. He is a social outcast. He has been picked on by the "richer" kids. He struggles to survive due to his class status, and definitely does not get what he wants. However, his character and underlying person of who he is makes him very easy to relate to. He is someone I would trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well I think that is bit condescending to Taichi fans. I am sorry but I don't like and defend his character because he "looks good". I like and defend his character because I feel he is an extremely well written and well rounded character, looks have nothing to do with it.
My apologies. I did not mean to offend anyone. It is just in general, a more attractive character will receive more of the benefit of the doubt than a less attractive one. I agree that Taichi is more fleshed out, so the viewer understands him better. However, I will say that if Taichi looks like Retro-kun, he would not have the same response that people are giving him. Of course you are not defending solely based on his looks. He has to have the character that appeals to you as well. However, I am more inclined to say that both his looks and his character lead to people viewing him the way they do.

It is that way in real life as well. If a person is more attractive, they are more likely to get away with more mistakes than a person that is less attractive. It is just human nature. I'm not saying everyone is that way but just generally.
__________________
<img src=http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=4341&pictureid=57813 border=0 alt= />
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 17:26   Link #1210
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Arata is anything but far from perfect. He is a social outcast. He has been picked on by the "richer" kids. He struggles to survive due to his class status, and definitely does not get what he wants. However, his character and underlying person of who he is makes him very easy to relate to. He is someone I would trust.
The fact that he's a social outcast is not his fault, so it doesn't constitute a flaw to his characterization. He is "perfect", or rather a heavily idealized character. He doesn't have the insecurity problems Taichi has to deal with, nor is he insensitive like Chihaya... he is, well, an idealization.

I'm not criticizing Arata's character. I'm just trying to explain why most people relate more to Taichi than Arata. Even in Japan this manga's major selling point is Taichi's inner struggle. People emphasize with this because everyone has flaws, and we all want to overcome these shortcomings and become better persons, just like him.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-02-23 at 17:44.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 17:32   Link #1211
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Even if it hurts a little to see Chihaya go after Arata (which I think is a natural feeling) Taichi has never once purposely kept Chihaya away from Arata.
He did when they were kids. Though I suppose it's a bit absurd to still hold that against him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 17:40   Link #1212
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He did when they were kids. Though I suppose it's a bit absurd to still hold that against him.
Yes you are right but of course he was a kid and still had a lot of growing up to do.

I'll admit I became a Taichi fan the minute he returned the glasses to Arata. I knew we had something special (in terms of writing) and well Taichi hasn't disappointed me yet.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 18:03   Link #1213
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It took me somewhat longer. At the time, I just thought the little bastard got off easy.

I warmed up to him... about the time he convinced Tsutomu, I guess?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 19:00   Link #1214
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The fact that he's a social outcast is not his fault, so it doesn't constitute a flaw to his characterization. He is "perfect", or rather a heavily idealized character. He doesn't have the insecurity problems Taichi has to deal with, nor is he insensitive like Chihaya... he is, well, an idealization.
I particularly thought that this most recent episode did some work to correct that, though. In the end, we don't get into Arata's head so much, and he isn't even on screen all that often, so as far as empathy or humanity of their characters certainly it's natural that most people would feel closer to Taichi. I don't think that Arata is idealized himself in this series, though; just that he seems idealized from the perspective of Chihaya and Taichi (which, admittedly, we see him from the vast majority of the time).

This episode made a revelation of Arata's hesitations/nervousness in reconnecting with his friends. In particular we get a sense of Arata's awareness of Taichi's romantic interest in Chihaya. That has always been an underlying current in Arata's relationship with Taichi, so now, having spent so many years separated from not only them, but karuta, what do you think Arata was thinking?

Imagine if Chihaya and Taichi had been dating, and Taichi told him to butt out, like Arata was fearing? Such thoughts must certainly have run through Arata's mind. I think that Arata and Taichi's relationship really is complicated in that while there is a part of them which each respects the other, and both acknowledges and finds joy in the tight bond in the past that they shared, both of them also have a heavy awareness of the tension between them on account of Chihaya. Not only in Taichi's struggles against "running away" which we are so familiar with, but also in the way that (I think) Arata's words towards him often come off as genuinely condescending, I think that their relationship does something to bring out the darkest parts of their personalities.

In this episode we see that Arata was hesitating. Contrary to his outward appearance of surety or confidence, I think that what he was ultimately afraid of was that Taichi might not have him back. And contrary to any actual interest Arata might have had romantically towards Chihaya (which is extremely likely, if you ask me), I think Arata subordinated that for the sake of re-establishing their friendship. He did that because, right now, what Arata truly wants back is friendship (the joy and comraderie he felt in playing karuta with Taichi and Chihaya), after that long period of his life he spent being depressed and useless--but, what we've seen from the beginning is that Arata also is a man.

As a child, Arata was willing to brattily squabble with Taichi about who was responsible for upsetting Chihaya; at their first reunion after they entered highschool, Arata straight up told Taichi he was still a coward and hadn't changed. In truth, when from the start their relationship was established with Arata forgiving Taichi for his cowardly actions against him--from the beginning, I feel like Arata was perfectly willing to fight. That is why, this episode's Arata who told Taichi he was willing to hold off on approaching Chihaya out of consideration was a startling contrast to me. I genuinely think that Arata has been cowed (by his own insecurities! By his own needs.) into subordinating himself as a man. And that's something fascinating and complex, I'd say. As characterization.

Anyway, I'm not on any side yet as far as romance in this series goes. Actually, there's a chance that I might get sick of the romance in this show if they seriously go anywhere with it. For my own gratification, I would pair Chihaya up with Shinobu--but artistically for this series that'd probably be pretty bullshit, lol. My point is moreso that, I do think that both Taichi and Arata have been imbued with depth and human conflict in this series as characters.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sora no Method 20/5 :: Shirobako 20/5 :: Yuuki Yuuna 15/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5
Winter:
Yuri Kuma Arashi 24/5 :: Kancolle 24/5 :: Koufuku Graffiti 80/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 19:21   Link #1215
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Let's not attack another poster for his opinion. Besides, Taichi has been a coward for quite a while. Only his last line this episode made it seem like he will actually improve from that.
Wait, what? That post of mine is a personal attack now? And him thinking that a kid's prank should cost a man his love years later is an opinion on the show?

Oh well, just to set things straight. I wasn't making any ad hominem pass whatsoever. It was the first thing that came to mind, a kind of a spur of the moment. But really, if you really think something as simple as "your sense of justice is warped if you think that children should be held responsible for simple pranks even years later." is a personal attack then I apologize to have offended everyone involved.

Taichi being a coward or not has nothing to do with someone hoping that he doesn't get a girl (who is so bland that I don't even support the ship in the first place) for something he did as a kid. But in any case, I disagree that only that manly line made it seem like he will improve - he has been improving all this while. Even admitting to hiding Arata's glasses before him and apologizing for it was already something that requires big guts. He has been growing steadily ever since. And other characters are quick to notice. Dr. Harada had another moment where he lauded Taichi's growth several episodes back, for instance.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 19:44   Link #1216
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Age: 29
Hmm. I can see how saying someone's "sense of justice is warped" because of their view of a fictional character can be considered a personal attack by some. But you said you didn't mean it and it was a spur of the moment, which is sometimes unavoidable when posting on the Internets. Plus, it's nowhere near the flaming that warrants mods intervening. I do agree that he's being too hard on Taichi though.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2012-02-23 at 21:43.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 21:36   Link #1217
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
What bugs me about this story is that they introduced this wonderful character by the name of Arata and then threw him in the corner somewhere collecting dust. I like his humble background. It's kind of hard to follow a story where my favorite character appears a few times in 20 eps. I would follow the story more if he has more screen time, not spot watching like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The fact that he's a social outcast is not his fault, so it doesn't constitute a flaw to his characterization. He is "perfect", or rather a heavily idealized character. He doesn't have the insecurity problems Taichi has to deal with, nor is he insensitive like Chihaya... he is, well, an idealization.

I'm not criticizing Arata's character. I'm just trying to explain why most people relate more to Taichi than Arata. Even in Japan this manga's major selling point is Taichi's inner struggle. People emphasize with this because everyone has flaws, and we all want to overcome these shortcomings and become better persons, just like him.
Make it simple. Taichi and Arata aren't on the same platform, main guy vs. side character. The story covered Taichi inside out while Arata got facade treatment. Nobody knows about Arata's insecurities or flaws because the story doesn't talk about them, not because he doesn't have them. People are more likely to feel for a character that is more developed (and that is Taichi in this case). Main characters are groomed to be loved. There's nothing unusual about it. The fanboys also identify with him more maybe because he doesn't get the girl. People talk about him being the "underdog", feeling the angst and stuff.
__________________
"Huynh ấy đă không c̣n nữa, ta muốn chết chết không được. Muốn sống sống cũng không xong."
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 21:54   Link #1218
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Well of course Taichi has the advantage for being on screen more than Arata. So yeah it is harder to care for Arata in the same way I care about Taichi (that is not the fault of Arata but the writing itself).

However just because a character is a main character does not necessarily mean they get the great character development that Taichi is getting in this series. I won't name any particular series but there are plenty of characters in other shows with the same or more screen time than Taichi that don't get half his character development.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 12:38   Link #1219
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well of course Taichi has the advantage for being on screen more than Arata. So yeah it is harder to care for Arata in the same way I care about Taichi (that is not the fault of Arata but the writing itself).

However just because a character is a main character does not necessarily mean they get the great character development that Taichi is getting in this series. I won't name any particular series but there are plenty of characters in other shows with the same or more screen time than Taichi that don't get half his character development.
You don't have to go that far - there's a main character that happens to also be eponymous with the show that has not only not received character development but in fact, undergone character regression, in this very show. Yes, her name is Chihaya.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 16:14   Link #1220
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
There's so much going on in this episode it simply defies expression. The anime heaps you, to use Melville's expression--overwhelms you with significance, more and more. This is just the most amazing show.

So, one of the key points in the anime, I think we all agree, is Taichi's statement to Harada-sensei, after Harada-sensei offers to promote Taichi to Class A: "Sensei, I'm not so much focused on making Class A / As I'm focused on becoming someone who doesn't run away." The awe on Harada-sensei's face, the statement's position as the climax of the conversation are the animators' way of highlighting the significance of the moment. I think if we can answer even the simplest questions about Taichi's words--such as "what does he mean?" and "why does he say this?"--we will go a long way toward understanding the episode and the anime as a whole.

Spoiler for Length:
__________________
.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter

Last edited by hyperborealis; 2012-03-15 at 13:13.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
josei, madhouse

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.