AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-02, 02:09   Link #261
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
The problem is the current story arc isn't that interesting. The monthly releases don't help as the story has really slowed to a crawl, especially since the 'main' story was put on hold to develop the current arc. I wonder if Yagi himself is unsure how to continue the Claire/Priscilla story arc, and is just buying time trying to flesh out the next step in the story.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:39   Link #262
su5so
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
The problem is easy to find for me. The battle Histerya vs Miria is lengthening unnecessarily showing a claymore can fight with a abysal in an absurd way.
The fact that Miria can fight her and even overcome Histerya, (it seems that this will happen) nobody likes. That is the big issue of this arc.

The only thing I really like is the history and Roxane Battle and Cassandra. I hope able to continue seeing more of this confrontation without having to interrupt Miria.
su5so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 05:36   Link #263
MalakTawus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
I think that leaving Clare out of this arc was a pretty interesting move. I mean in every other shonen I've seen the main character absolutely has to be the main face in every important event (I call it "Goku save us!" routine). Because of this, I find the fact that it seems Clare will be absent form one of the most important events on the island refreshing.
I agree that leaving out the MC for this arc could be theoretically a good move, but the real problem imo is that without Claire to give focus in the story Yagi wasn't able to pace the story very well,it's like the rhytm is A LOT slower than it was before, this way the story has lost some of the tension.

Imo one of the causes is the fact that Yagi decided to have the story very frammented exactly when the MC was away.
MalakTawus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 10:38   Link #264
Dark Night
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
You know, wanting Clare back doesn't in any [logical] way mean the story is going be magically better or more interesting, though it'd probably make it more bearable (I for instance wouldn't complain that much if Teresa was somehow in the story right now).

It just seems like Yagi's capacity to surprise us has...declined.
Dark Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 10:52   Link #265
Nixl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Well, to be honest I would argue that the majority of surprises (aside from deaths maybe) in this series have resulted from two characters, Claire and Priscilla. Miria, Deneve, and Helen have been rather straight forward as characters, but Claire and Priscilla are rather chaotic.

Anyways, bring the Clairebear and Pristroll back.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 11:23   Link #266
Dj0rel
True Believer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Not really there's several shounens where the main character does nothing for large pieces of time and events, Psyren, HxH, heck even bleach has a large strip where Ichigo does very little until practically the very end.
Well like I said "in every other shonen I've seen". Also this is not just large "piece of time" or "event", claymore rebellion is single most important thing that has ever happened in this manga. It's pretty much like, what if Goku had never went to Namek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su5so View Post
The problem is easy to find for me. The battle Histerya vs Miria is lengthening unnecessarily showing a claymore can fight with a abysal in an absurd way.
The fact that Miria can fight her and even overcome Histerya, (it seems that this will happen) nobody likes. That is the big issue of this arc.
Considering what we saw before in Claymore, the fact that Miria can hold her own against Hysteria is not only not surprising, it's not even odd. Remember, Galatea, no3, was moping the floor with Duff, awakened former no3. Or when Clare, half awakened no47 killed fully awakened Rigardo, fully awakened former no2. In fact there are enough similar examples that it makes me wonder why so many readers insist on some "numbers and statistics" when it's shown many times that they are by no means set in stone.
__________________
Not afraid of having a different opinion.
Dj0rel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 11:34   Link #267
su5so
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
Considering what we saw before in Claymore, the fact that Miria can hold her own against Hysteria is not only not surprising, it's not even odd. Remember, Galatea, no3, was moping the floor with Duff, awakened former no3. Or when Clare, half awakened no47 killed fully awakened Rigardo, fully awakened former no2. In fact there are enough similar examples that it makes me wonder why so many readers insist on some "numbers and statistics" when it's shown many times that they are by no means set in stone.
The problem with your argument is as follows;
Histerya without awakened was equal or better to Miria. Now that she has awakened, ┐how she can not kill easily Miria? As much as you defend it, that makes no sense.
Would have been different if Miria was much better than Histerya claymore, but that was not the case at all.
su5so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 11:51   Link #268
Casshern
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
What Yagi should do with the destroyer's cocoon is have the strongest personality inside the cocoon subdue the rest and be reborn. So that would be Teresa.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 12:01   Link #269
MalakTawus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Night View Post
You know, wanting Clare back doesn't in any [logical] way mean the story is going be magically better or more interesting, though it'd probably make it more bearable (I for instance wouldn't complain that much if Teresa was somehow in the story right now).

It just seems like Yagi's capacity to surprise us has...declined.
Not true, bringing back the MC in a story of course can be a 100% logical way to make the story better and more interesting,especially since in this manga the REAL tension has ALWAYS been strictly bound to Claire.
Like it or not, there are a lot of things going on in Claymore,but at the end of the day Claymore is basically Claire's story,so it's not a big surprise that taken away the focus on her,this arc feels "less personal" and it's difficult for the other characters to create the same tension as before,not because they are bad characters,but because of the way this manga is built.

And honestly,the whole climax for this arc is severely damaged by the fact that in the other situation with Prissy and Claire the climax is 100 times stronger.

Stupid example:

It's like a group of people that love football are watching at the TV an objectively important football match.....but they also know that at the same in another channel there could be the final of the world championship but for some reason they can't watch it.
No wonder the "objectively important" football match that they are watching feels a lot less interesting in that situation.

And YES,being able to change channel and look at the final would be LOGICALLY a lot more interesting,lol.
MalakTawus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 12:04   Link #270
Dj0rel
True Believer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by su5so View Post
The problem with your argument is as follows;
Histerya without awakened was equal or better to Miria. Now that she has awakened, ┐how she can not kill easily Miria? As much as you defend it, that makes no sense.
Would have been different if Miria was much better than Histerya claymore, but that was not the case at all.
First, you give me one explanation (that you find satisfying) to why was Duff unable to easily kill Galatea or even Clare when he can easily one shot another above average awakened being.
__________________
Not afraid of having a different opinion.
Dj0rel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 12:22   Link #271
su5so
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
First, you give me one explanation (that you find satisfying) to why was Duff unable to easily kill Galatea or even Clare when he can easily one shot another above average awakened being.
The example you put in Dauf and Galatea is different (We never saw his claymore level). You really think a claymore Dauf would have the same level as Galatea? I really doubt it. However, Histerya claymore showed was better than Miria.

Clare's example I simply argument the inner potential, (as Priscilla), though it may seem very simple, that is my honest opinion.
su5so is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 12:28   Link #272
Dj0rel
True Believer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by su5so View Post
The example you put in Dauf and Galatea is different (We never saw his claymore level). You really think a claymore Dauf would have the same level as Galatea?
Do you think he was ranked no3 because of his pretty face?
__________________
Not afraid of having a different opinion.
Dj0rel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 14:25   Link #273
Nixl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I would say this arc needs to end quickly as of now. While Yagi is trying to make our characters win with trickery and teamwork rather than powerlevels against, I do not think he has made it all that engaging or at least it is not working.

Well, this is dead. Might as well give up on subforum.

If you still want to actively talk about Claymore and stick with some of regulars there is still a community site on Manga Helpers.

edit: Since this thread has already been heavily edited of posts, I'll repeat, if you are still looking for raw/translation alerts and/or other claymore related discussion, Manga Helpers still has monthly chapter threads on their forum. That means updates on chapters if your interested.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-03-03 at 00:25.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 14:48   Link #274
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
huh? why did the Claymore manga got move all the way out here?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 15:00   Link #275
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
See Kairin's posting...

I just can't wait to see what Roxanne is saying this chapter... I'm assuming Cassandra talks about shit some more though and Deneve explains what the warriors are about to do... I just wish Yagi could have had someone else be his mouth piece, like I don't know Anastasia since it is her hair about to be used.
__________________

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-03-02 at 15:03. Reason: not my place to say anything... on second thought...
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 15:02   Link #276
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
^Long story... which I'm assuming we can't talk beyond the given reason by Kairin. That is if there is any other reason needed beyond the reasons given there...

I just can't wait to see what Roxanne is saying this chapter... I'm assuming Cassandra talks about shit some more though and Deneve explains what the warriors are about to do... I just wish Yagi could have had someone else be his mouth piece, like I don't know Anastasia since it is her hair about to be used.
oh, some idiot posted Sausages and ruin it for everybody.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 15:41   Link #277
Elandyll
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: AZ - USA
Age: 42
It just also goes to confirm my theory that a large number of poeple are losing interest in the current Claymore Arc.

Between the uuuultra slow arc (started in chapter 106 - so 18 chapters so far, and with what I'm reading it 'll take another 2 or 3 chapters to wrap it up. For reference the entire Pieta arc was 12 chapters), and the absence of both Clare and Priscilla, not only are the rankings down in Japan but the forums slow here.

The tankobons might still sell, but the growing disinterest in the monthly story tells me one thing: People are entering "collection" mode. They are more interested to finish their collection than actually following the manga.

Wake up Yagi!
I just hope that it won't get so bad that the publisher will say: "Well, it's been fun. You now have 6 chapters to wrap it up." (ending at volume 23).


P.S for Djorel: We must not have been reading the same manga, because I do not remember Galatera "wiping the floor " with Dauf. Quite the contrary in fact, once her little trick was found out.
Elandyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 15:48   Link #278
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
Well, for the record I have no intention of quitting this thread. I do already have another account on two other threads that talk about Claymore and might end up redistributing where I talk a bit based on who moves where, but I like it here and there is always a billion to one shot we might get a season 2 so the thread can return (tries to fool himself it can still happen ).

I don't blame the mods, nor anyone else. Even in light of recent events... I've been fearing this for sometime after the thread post counted started dying once this most recent arc started (around ch 108/9). I just didn't say much since about it since I didn't want it to happen. Other threads where hit too... but I'm not going to argue well why didn't this one get hit vs mine or why that one too... it's too late whats done is done. I still post on narutoforums's Claymore thread (not even subforum) all the time and am fine with it... I'm just glad we've got a separate image thread and one continuous thread for posting anything manga related... the other still open threads are just bonuses. Hopefully people will accept this in time...

Anyways, Xellos-_^ your comment made me think of the expression "It just takes one bad apple ruins it for everyone" and this just popped in my head. So now I had to post it.

Spoiler for pics:
__________________

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-03-02 at 16:01.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 23:56   Link #279
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Bunch of posts are removed for being off-topic. Post here only when you want to talk about the manga.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 01:16   Link #280
Valky
ともだち
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
First, you give me one explanation (that you find satisfying) to why was Duff unable to easily kill Galatea or even Clare when he can easily one shot another above average awakened being.
Duff was stupid and only has strength. Although he was power-wise stronger than Galatea & Claire combined together, he was played for sucker easily by Galatea. But despite Galatea was weaker than Duff it doesn't mean that she could be defeated easily since we know Galatea's sense and ability to manipulate youki is better than anyone else. (Plus her improvement when she releases her youki was said to be the highest in her ranks, although she was defeated at the end but still useful to buy some time for Claire to get Jean.)

About why Duff wasn't unable to kill Claire easily, one of the reason is because Claire's ability to read youki so she could predict Duff's attack, and the other one is because Duff was stuck in the tunnel thus gave Claire the advantage. Well, not for long but she was saved by Galatea later.

And he one-shot said above average awakened being when the said above average was off guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su5so View Post
The example you put in Dauf and Galatea is different (We never saw his claymore level). You really think a claymore Dauf would have the same level as Galatea? I really doubt it. However, Histerya claymore showed was better than Miria.

Clare's example I simply argument the inner potential, (as Priscilla), though it may seem very simple, that is my honest opinion.
He was number 3, we already see his level. But if he was stronger as a claymore than Galatea then it's debatable since Duff is power & attacking type and Galatea is sensor & defensive type.

Btw, Histerya sure was number one at her time, but Miria's no 6 was before the time skip so I think her rank should be higher up now.

And Claire, yeah I kinda agree with you. Perhaps because of her potential and because she has Theresa inside of her, since from what the organization said we know that Theresa was extraordinary.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.