AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-28, 22:58   Link #41
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I've learned to expect Game Freak to *not* do that with every new batch of Pokemon games. Sure, it would be nice to be surprised, and I wouldn't eliminate the possibility, but it's best not to count on it.
Only reason they did it with SoulSilver and HeartGold was because Silver and Gold themselves already did go back to previous regions.
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 17:42   Link #42
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Pokemon's dead, stop beating the dead Pocket Monster.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 18:03   Link #43
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Only reason they did it with SoulSilver and HeartGold was because Silver and Gold themselves already did go back to previous regions.
That and gold and silver were seriously dated by that time.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 18:52   Link #44
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Listening to "SENTIMENTAL StepS" on repeat
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Pokemon's dead, stop beating the dead Pocket Monster.
I disagree. The Black and White games have been really fun to play through, and they have the best story so far out of the franchise of games. They may be beating a Pokemon too much, but it's not quite dead yet in my opinion.

Now if you're talking about the anime, that thing has been dead since birth.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Tempester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 19:29   Link #45
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I disagree. The Black and White games have been really fun to play through, and they have the best story so far out of the franchise of games. They may be beating a Pokemon too much, but it's not quite dead yet in my opinion.

Now if you're talking about the anime, that thing has been dead since birth.
Okay, I agree the stories were quite fun, but you have to admit that the Pokemon, the reason for these games, are becoming insanely uncreative. I stopped really caring about Pokemon games after Gold and Silver, because they just didn't leave any impression on me (and trust me, I've played all of them). The more they make, the more it'll be focusing on story, and less of it will be on catching Pokemon you want. I tried building a team I wanted in Black, and I just didn't like most of the new ones, but maybe that's just me.

As for the anime, yeah. Season 1 was fun for childhood nostalgia reasons (maybe even a little of Season 2, sans the idiot Tracey who replaced Brock), but the following stuff and the movies (oh lawd, the movies) were awful.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 19:47   Link #46
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Listening to "SENTIMENTAL StepS" on repeat
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Okay, I agree the stories were quite fun, but you have to admit that the Pokemon, the reason for these games, are becoming insanely uncreative. I stopped really caring about Pokemon games after Gold and Silver, because they just didn't leave any impression on me (and trust me, I've played all of them). The more they make, the more it'll be focusing on story, and less of it will be on catching Pokemon you want. I tried building a team I wanted in Black, and I just didn't like most of the new ones, but maybe that's just me.
Yeah, there are only so many different types of fictional creatures you can make literally hundreds of configurations from before going stale. I personally set my standards for the new Pokemon low so I'm never disappointed. Plus, I get a different type of fun from seeing the more audacious new designs such as Vanillite.

And I agree that there Black and White are relatively poor when it comes to gameplay and replayability, which is why Gen 5 is not my favorite Pokemon generation (that would be either Gen 1 or 4, but it's been some time since I've played them). I know it's different for you, but so far the main Pokemon RPG series, as repetitive as it is, hasn't given me any reason yet to become cynical over it, so I still tend to look at the best parts of each generation.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Tempester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 19:52   Link #47
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Mhm, that's alright. You've got your own personal preferences, after all. For me, my favourite two generations are the first and second respectively. While Gold/Silver added new featurettes to the game, the original had the simplicity that I love. Respectively, Stadiums 1 and 2 were awesome as well, I think.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 20:02   Link #48
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
If you guys wanna go back to the other regions, than I hope the pokémon you have that learned surf can use that move to cross the pacific. Unova is Poké-América remember?
__________________
She's in your internets, watching you masterdebate.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 11:47   Link #49
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Pokemon's dead, stop beating the dead Pocket Monster.
Pokemon outsells everything from Final Fantasy to Street Fighter, I guess all these games are dead to you.

Not sure why people are upset with a sequel instead of grey.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 12:24   Link #50
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I tried building a team I wanted in Black, and I just didn't like most of the new ones, but maybe that's just me.
I couldn't even make it through the 6th gym in Black for the same reason. None of the new Pokemon interest me at all. Similarly, most of Gen 3 and 4 didn't either, but they at least didn't feel "boring", and they let me trade with the older Gens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I personally set my standards for the new Pokemon low
I do too, except for the starters. The starters should be some of the coolest Pokemon around, so that you don't want to get rid of them. Instead, the new crop feels bland and bad. And rehashed Fire/Fighting can burn in hell.

Maybe v2 will introduce a new aspect to the game, since they didn't do it in the first Black and White. And no, rotational battles and 3v3 are not new aspects. I'm talking along the lines of hold items, abilities, and the physical/special split.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 12:47   Link #51
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Listening to "SENTIMENTAL StepS" on repeat
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I do too, except for the starters. The starters should be some of the coolest Pokemon around, so that you don't want to get rid of them. Instead, the new crop feels bland and bad.
I'm personally fond of the Snivy line, but Oshawott gets progressively worse as it evolves and Tepig is freaking awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And rehashed Fire/Fighting can burn in hell.
Agreed. The developers at Game Freak reached a profound level of moronic insanity when making another fire/fighting starter.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Tempester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 20:31   Link #52
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Ugh. I agree too that this set was by far the worst. There were some interesting ones, but I rarely ever tried to get my hands on even them.

Favorite gen is likely the 2nd or 4th
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 02:29   Link #53
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Pokemon's dead, stop beating the dead Pocket Monster.
Whether you consider the current games boring is one thing, but calling it dead is as true as me being female.
In other words, it isn't. And as long as it outsells practically every other game in the industry, it can't be considered dead.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:25   Link #54
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Agreed. The developers at Game Freak reached a profound level of moronic insanity when making another fire/fighting starter.
I so agree with this. Blaziken was my favorite fire/fighting starter. Maybe simply because it was new to have a dual type starter. Didn't really care about Infernape and never tried the fire pig.

@team building in each generation: Fortunately I have always found a team that appealed to me visually while not being overly horrible in combat so far, especially as I cannot trade most of the time. You tend to get bombared with bazillion water types (except for Black/White I think), but I found most flying types in Black/White ugly except for Braviary, who evovolved painfully late as a story-team choice >_<
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 03:59   Link #55
Sagi
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Pokemon's dead, stop beating the dead Pocket Monster.
It may be dead for you, but for me its still going strong.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 04:12   Link #56
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
I'm not looking at it financially. From my standpoint, I just really hate that feeling of when I know whereabouts the industry stopped being innovative and switches to milking dollars from consumers. That's just how I felt, and everyone else can have their own opinions.

Like I said though, Black and White felt insanely bland when it came to the Pokemon themselves, and to hear that they're making a sequel off of it...well, I don't know what they'll do. Something that might be cool is a proper console Pokemon game, maybe? Nothing like that Colosseum stuff, but in the style of the handheld RPGs. As long as the new Pokemon they come up with show a bit of creativity, I might be compelled to come back. As it is right now though, I won't be able to stand the Black/White generation monsters again, so I'll pass on B2/W2.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 09:49   Link #57
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I so agree with this. Blaziken was my favorite fire/fighting starter. Maybe simply because it was new to have a dual type starter.
Venusaur and Charizard say otherwise.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 11:18   Link #58
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I'm not looking at it financially. From my standpoint, I just really hate that feeling of when I know whereabouts the industry stopped being innovative and switches to milking dollars from consumers. That's just how I felt, and everyone else can have their own opinions.

Like I said though, Black and White felt insanely bland when it came to the Pokemon themselves, and to hear that they're making a sequel off of it...well, I don't know what they'll do. Something that might be cool is a proper console Pokemon game, maybe? Nothing like that Colosseum stuff, but in the style of the handheld RPGs. As long as the new Pokemon they come up with show a bit of creativity, I might be compelled to come back. As it is right now though, I won't be able to stand the Black/White generation monsters again, so I'll pass on B2/W2.
Then again I don't really play for the story since it's a bit meh, although it's entertaining. I usually play Pokemon for the battling, where things get technical. This is why I spend a lot of time playing Pokemon since I breed for the right natures, IVs, egg moves and then EV train them. There is even a popular competitive Pokemon Battling community based just on that, which is Smogon. From there, you can use them in an online battle, which I did quite a lot, but not lately... but I should really get back into it since I trained all those Pokemon already.

Aside from that, I look forward to any changes to the metagame such as additional moves added and such in the sequels.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 14:22   Link #59
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Blaziken and Charizard are tied as the best fire starters. Charizard because he was a fucking dragon, and we all love dragons, and Blaziken because he was Pokémon incarnation of Chuck Norris, with Blaze roundhouse kick and everything .
__________________
She's in your internets, watching you masterdebate.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 17:08   Link #60
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Venusaur and Charizard say otherwise.
Just curious here- was Charizard considered to be a Flying type of sorts in the first generation? I recall them adding types to Pokemon as generations went on, like to Magnemite for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Then again I don't really play for the story since it's a bit meh, although it's entertaining. I usually play Pokemon for the battling, where things get technical. This is why I spend a lot of time playing Pokemon since I breed for the right natures, IVs, egg moves and then EV train them. There is even a popular competitive Pokemon Battling community based just on that, which is Smogon. From there, you can use them in an online battle, which I did quite a lot, but not lately... but I should really get back into it since I trained all those Pokemon already.

Aside from that, I look forward to any changes to the metagame such as additional moves added and such in the sequels.
Ah. I generally play for the entire package, but if the Pokemon are interesting, the rest of the game just kind of follows along. The reason I didn't like Black/White is because the entire time, I was lugging around 6 Pokemon I didn't care for (didn't even find any I wanted to catch), and with all of the battles that occur in that game, it got insanely stale. It would be like if you had to take your cousin to the carnival, but none of the attractions looked interesting to you. Sure, you'll still love the atmosphere because it's a carnival, but that's all you get in the end. That's kind of how I felt when I played it, don't know for others.

Oh, and triple battles? REALLY hated that. What's next? Quad battle? 5 on 5s? Why not just throw all your Pokemon out at once, and whoever uses the attacks that completely destroys the other team first wins. One on one battles allowed you to fully strategize, and doubles wasn't bad either, but this felt a little ridiculous.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pokemon black and white

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.