AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-11, 10:10   Link #8321
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth...hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I really wish the people that are bashing him would at least remember this. He's not a terrible author, because otherwise we wouldn't be so invested in the story and characters up to this point.
No, I consider him a good author. One of the problems though is that the ending is one of the most important parts of the story and it didn't help that he raised expectations really high due to his likable characters and such. It also didn't help that a lot of off-screen resolutions and unreveals happened.

I knew the ending was going to disappoint somewhat because he couldn't possibly meet the high standards of his fans at this point. But for something planned from the start, I was kind of expecting more.
__________________

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:14   Link #8322
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
i dont understand several build up at the end of MW arc like lifemarker appearance, eve secret and gravemaster.

if KA already knew that he gonna to end this in less than a year. why would he do that
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:23   Link #8323
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
I agree that he could've likely done better, but personally I won't blame him for being too put off to remain staying on Negima any longer.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:24   Link #8324
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Valencia, Venezuela
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
He's not a terrible author, because otherwise we wouldn't be so invested in the story and characters up to this point.
Correction: He wasn't a terrible author, but he became one.

If the Akamatsu who has just written this had started the series back then, odds are he wouldn't have engrossed anyone with the characters and plotting. At that time, he knew how to wrap an ending up beautifully (see Love Hina), but now, his writing has devolved into an inconsistent, uneven bad parody of itself.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:29   Link #8325
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore
Age: 22
Although I've seen many complain about the ending, I just feel ending it off like this would have been the best solution considering it was a rushed end.

Not saying that it couldn't be better but I'd have preferred this ending over a real crappy one. I'm just glad to have followed through all the chapters of this series. Perhaps this is one of those series where you just feel had potential to tie up loose ends it had left and never really did in the end.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:38   Link #8326
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
At that time, he knew how to wrap an ending up beautifully (see Love Hina), but now, his writing has devolved into an inconsistent, uneven bad parody of itself.
Love Hina didn't have exactly an excellent ending either. It got the complete opposite process: LH was way too dragged to the point Akamatsu had to recycle a lot of ideas, and forced cop out methods regarding Naru's feelings (the stark difference between Pararakelse and Kanako's arcs is gigantic).

Both had very good "touch" regarding characters showdown and closure. The difference is that Negima's ending got shortlived and as result left out many points, while LH went way too much.
Finally, comparing Lh and Negima ending is quite dubious, considering the timespan, storytelling and especially the genre are not the same at all. LH had only characters interactions with little backstory to dwelves in, while Negima had as "bonus" the setup (Magic, creatures etc), along with a totally different pace.

Also, becoming a "bad writer" doesn't happen in a timespan of few chapters and the likes. A bad writer would actually be unable to wrap things on the story's own standards, while here, Negima has suffered from obvious -external- reasons.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:01   Link #8327
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
A bad writer would actually be unable to wrap things on the story's own standards
Isn't this exactly what happened in Negima? It had all the potential for greatness, the makings of grand adventures, the massive and continuous build-up that promises a grand finale worthy to conclude its tale...and epically failed to meet up to that standard.

In the end, Negima's massive scale became it's own undoing. Ken went too big, and didn't know how to gracefully end it.

Some say that Ken had actually planned for it to end like this from the very beginning. If anything, that made this entire debacle worse, because it means he had decided from the start to give Negima such an abrupt conclusion.

Some say that Ken was forced to do this due to "external" factors, and that he would made it up with a sequel. But if that was indeed the case, then there was no need for him to close it like this. Better to left it hanging for a while before the sequel resumes the story, rather than finishing up the loose ends off-screen. Especially that whole business with Nagi, bah. No need for the tedious "Who Negi loves?!" sub-arc, nor Asuna's "like he'd really end it sadly" arc. If there was supposed to be a sequel, they would be better put there.

I have to agree with OverMaster here. Akamatsu's writing skill worsen during the last few arcs. Maybe it's just him. Maybe outside influences are involved. But the result is clear - Negima's ending awoken my long-suppressed memories on how Sukuran ended. Negima had the chance to become one of the most enjoyable manga I've ever read. Now it's just mediocre.
__________________
Tiresias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:07   Link #8328
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
Although I've seen many complain about the ending, I just feel ending it off like this would have been the best solution considering it was a rushed end.

Not saying that it couldn't be better but I'd have preferred this ending over a real crappy one. I'm just glad to have followed through all the chapters of this series. Perhaps this is one of those series where you just feel had potential to tie up loose ends it had left and never really did in the end.
I agree. It's good that I've learned well enough from the Nanoha experience...
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:11   Link #8329
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I have to agree with OverMaster here. Akamatsu's writing skill worsen during the last few arcs. Maybe it's just him. Maybe outside influences are involved. But the result is clear - Negima's ending awoken my long-suppressed memories on how Sukuran ended. Negima had the chance to become one of the most enjoyable manga I've ever read. Now it's just mediocre.
Last few arcs? The "last few" arcs were the magic world arc, the school festival, then the ending with the timeskips.

Ending aside, the festival was obvious filler. The Magic World arc was the most recent serious arc, and that was excellent.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:11   Link #8330
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Negima's ending awoken my long-suppressed memories on how Sukuran ended.
I still have no idea how people are comparing Negima to School Rumble. It's just..... like a sort of forced leap of faith in other to downgrade what Negima's ending truly is.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:13   Link #8331
Athena
The Power of One
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Earth
Well, I didn't quite expect a smooth ending, and am OK with it. Negima basically took too much expansion throughout the manga, and unless you take 15 chapters to end up each girl's future, it will turn into an ending of the sort.

In Love Hina's case, the author had the romantc relationship established very early, so the ending was better. However, Negima became much more battle-centered after a hundred of chapters.

The ending itself was more done in order to "stop" the story, and not to "conclude" it, IMO. It was basically made so everyone had their own path and have split themselves.
__________________
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:15   Link #8332
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I still have no idea how people are comparing Negima to School Rumble. It's just..... like a sort of forced leap of faith in other to downgrade what Negima's ending truly is.
Both didn't give a proper resolution that made me go "Well, that's been a fun ride. It's sad that it's over but this is really the end. I can't wait for the author's new work, because it will be as awesome as this one!"

Why Sukuran? Simple, I don't read a lot of manga, and of the ones I read only few have ended, so I can't compare this to the ongoing ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Last few arcs? The "last few" arcs were the magic world arc, the school festival, then the ending with the timeskips.
I meant the smaller arcs, mini-arcs if you wish. I don't know, maybe "arc" isn't the right word - feel free to correct me with a better suggestion. I was talking about things like the Final Battle on the Gravekeeper's Palace, where aside from Negi and Asuna the rest of Ala Alba ended up as pushovers that needs to be saved by Ala Rubra. And I've already made enough comments about the "Who Negi loves?!" mini-arc and Asuna's "like he'd really end it sadly" mini-arc.
__________________
Tiresias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:19   Link #8333
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Valencia, Venezuela
Found in the Net:

OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:22   Link #8334
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Isn't this exactly what happened in Negima? It had all the potential for greatness, the makings of grand adventures, the massive and continuous build-up that promises a grand finale worthy to conclude its tale...and epically failed to meet up to that standard.
If it was really the writer's fault, I doubt the latest arcs would actually manage to keep up with the steam. The abrupt ending and the vast surprise about the ending timing are, in my opinion, a testimony that the whole process was hardly a decision void of restrictions or issues that aren't within the author's reach.

The end of the contract timing can't be a coincidence, and there is no way you can expand the series within such time span unless you extend the contract. The fact it wasn't done says a lot regarding how Akamatsu considers his contract with Kodansha.

Adding the fact he had to follow Kodansha few directives, making him unable to fully create the series he wanted to be is another point that points out problems outside of Akamatsu ability.

Quote:
Some say that Ken had actually planned for it to end like this from the very beginning. If anything, that made this entire debacle worse, because it means he had decided from the start to give Negima such an abrupt conclusion.
It all depends of your definition of "end like this from the beginning": was it the full course of sport festival arc? Asuna's sealing? Or simply the last 2 chapters?
The last 2 chapters are a definite huge mood shift and a direct reference to how LH ended.
Quote:
Some say that Ken was forced to do this due to "external" factors, and that he would made it up with a sequel. But if that was indeed the case, then there was no need for him to close it like this. Better to left it hanging for a while before the sequel resumes the story, rather than finishing up the loose ends off-screen. Especially that whole business with Nagi, bah. No need for the tedious "Who Negi loves?!" sub-arc, nor Asuna's "like he'd really end it sadly" arc. If there was supposed to be a sequel, they would be better put there.
And if the ending had to be compromised with the editor, and resulted into this way, what can he actually do?
The whole issue is basically a lose lose situation anyway: Akamatsu had a certain period of time to wrap up Negima, and still under Kodansha directives regarding content thatshould remain prevalent. Surely enough, you expect Sport festival gimmicks while Negi is saving Nagi? Doubtful.

By any means, Akamatsu didn't want to retcon things, otherwise, the ending might be radically different than merely "off screen / ommited" plot parts.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:28   Link #8335
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Ending aside, the festival was obvious filler. The Magic World arc was the most recent serious arc, and that was excellent.
Well, comparing the Sports Festival arc to the Mahora Festival arc just shows how little Akamatsu cared by that point. The latter was a lot of fun, lots of character development, lots of shipping for the fans, and very exciting with its own internal climaxes. IMO it was the manga's high point. The former was, what, a few chapters of rather stale filler wherein Akamatsu turned Negima back to its "school harem" roots that he supposedly struggled against in the early goings of the manga.

The Magical World arc promised to be even grander, true, but its loose ends were not properly followed up on so I can see why people end up not being pleased with it either.

I don't care enough to complain about the ending very much, but I understand fully how people who liked the manga and followed it more consistently than I do would be very angry. I don't even think the ending is the manga's biggest weakness; that would go to the very premise of having a ridiculous classroom-sized harem's worth of characters going for a ten years old teacher. Although it is perceived among the fans as a pitch he did to trick his publishers, and though he did get to write his fantasy epic in the end, he himself couldn't let go of this either and returned to the premise when he apparently lost interest, or at least energy, to continue. I mean, Asuna still kept losing clothes to magic after the Magical World arc, and harem-ish antics dominated the time between the end of Magical World and the ending itself. That's a long way since everybody's dropped the pretense of this being Love Hina Extreme Edition or something.

It's like building a very grand edifice with flaws in its very foundations. You either have to be very creative in maneuvering around that flaw, sometimes producing very interesting results, or you just give up and things start to go wrong.

If it is something of an impossible task to write an ending that satisfies all the fans of the many characters (Asuna, Yue, Nodoka, Konoka, Kaede, Ku, Chisame, Chao, Evangeline, etc., etc.), who else is to blame but the one who wrote up the premise and wrote the story to its end?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:29   Link #8336
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

OMG this is so fun. Props to Ken for giving me the best entertainment ever.


C'mon people. Give the guy some slack. This is more a result of real life shit hitting the fan than anything else. With any luck they'll be able to salvage it somewhere else
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 12:26   Link #8337
chaosprophet
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brazil
It all comes to personal opinion in the end. For me, I disagree with the claim that Akamatsu's writing was worse around the end. After all I still was enjoying a lot every chapter content till the end. So his writing was still up to par for me.

I'm also disappointed that the end lacked or skipped some important parts to the story, but that's more regarding what that was lacking from the conclusion, but nothing against the content we were shown. I also agree that something is really strange on how it ended rushed. And I think it's likely not something Akamatsu wished for.

Negima have been my favorite series for long time and still is. While the end was weak, it's nowhere near enough to make me disregard so many chapters of awesomeness and fun.
__________________
chaosprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 13:12   Link #8338
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Oh man! that ending was hilarious! So much RAGE!



Spoiler for wait:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 15:03   Link #8339
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Following the clouds North.
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
I see there's a lot of rage. Honestly, I'm not sure why it's pointed completely at KA being a bad writer. Honestly, he could have fallen victim to the "Oh shit, real life" bug. It is also possible that his series became less popular than other series running that the editors had to cancel it to make room for more. Or contract ended. In that case, then he could have managed his time better, which isn't necessarily him being a bad writer, but being a poor time manager.

I enjoyed the ending. True, it was disappointing to have so unresolved plot points and a rushed feeling to the ending, but for what it was worth, it did its best job resolving at least some of the more interesting plot points. In fact, I'm not annoyed by "Holy crap, it's Nagi!" I feel like even if he had more time, finding Nagi would involve far too much BS than its worth. At the every least, the ending wasn't incredibly cluttered, and I believe those are probably the worst types.

Another thing to note is that endings are hard to do and as a series lengthens, it becomes increasingly difficult for a really thorough ending. In fact, for longer series, I feel like open endings tend to have the best feeling because we as readers have stuck with these characters for so long that we want to know (consciously or not) about their futures. The only way to do that (without continuing the series) is to leave the ending open.

I believe that had KA had his way, he would have let the series go on longer to really wrap up the series. He probably made the best ending with the limited resources he had (no time for research really). And probably realizes that there are plot holes that definitely need to be resolved without magic time warp powers. Maybe he'll release side stories or start a spin-off or something. Who knows what the future brings?
__________________

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 15:26   Link #8340
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
There's a lot of (valid) complaints I don't care about.

I don't mind that Chisame became a hikkikomori - she always did most of her work with the internet anyway. She doesn't have to do it from a laptop while being dragged around a jungle by Chachamaru.

I don't mind that Negi rescued his father offscreen. He became pretty broken, and so are his allies. Fine, whatever.

I don't mind that plot threads (like Ako's origin, or what Zazie's deal was, aside from being a demon princess) were abandoned.

But couldn't he have provided even small text explanation for what happened with Negi's mother? Said who Negi liked?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, fantasy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.