AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 33 44.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 29.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-12, 17:15   Link #41
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Oi, oi, what happened to the spoiler policy until we're sure a majority of people have watched the episode?
There has never been such a policy. If one ventures inside an episode thread, he is obviously expected to be exposed to content from said episode. It's quite redundant to spoiler-tag content from episode X, in a thread that is dedicated to episode X
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 17:18   Link #42
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, what you're saying fits perfectly. There are 30 desks and 30 students each year, so when an extra 31 student comes in, they are short one desk (listen to Misaki's explanation in episode 5, there is a desk and even books missing when there is an extra student among them). Unfortunately, that doesn't explain why they started to freak out when Kouichi was added in, since the number should have been right...
I think it's because, as both Mei and Izumi had separately mentioned, they only half-believed in the phenomenon to begin with, especially since nothing happened to their seniors the year before.

Whenever it was that they started using "29 students" as a counter-measure, it had become so effective that the student body now take it for granted. Hence, the addition of Kouichi to the roster of 29 for the Class of 98 was a rude shock. It meant that, for the first time in a number of years, they would have to make someone "non-existent" again, which is understandably not a pleasant prospect for everyone involved.

Actually, scratch that, because come to think of it, there is always someone volunteered to be "non-existent" every year, since they always manage to have exactly 30 students to begin with. The shock for the Class of 98, it seems, would be that they expected to have one empty desk, only to see it suddenly occupied by a late transfer, meaning that they would have to go through the whole rigmarole of pretending someone doesn't exist, only they were one month late, without realising it.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yes! That's exactly what I'm saying. Mami's name is not on the roster anymore and there is no blank spot as far as I can tell, so the number was decreased when she was erased at the end of the year.
Also, I'm under the impression that the phenomenon simply erases all traces of the Other's previous existence while it is in effect, to prevent the extra's identification during the year. Which is to say, unless Mami happens to be the Other this year (she is not), there is no reason for her name to be absent in the roster of the Class of 96. Chibiki's note at the bottom is simply, as I said, meant to be a reminder to him that she was the "extra" student for the year.

In case people are wondering why we are talking about class rosters all over again, it's because it affects how Kanon's theory plays out, that it is Ms Mikami who is the Other, and not one of the students. If the phenomenon was triggered despite the number of students being "just right", it would mean that the teacher is the One, according to Kanon. I say it's not true because, depending on how you interpret the phenomenon to work, it's still one of the students who is an "extra", not the teacher.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-03-12 at 17:45.
TinyRedLeaf is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 17:22   Link #43
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Well Mei knows who it is, if she knew all along why didn't she tell anyone?
She had no reason to tell anyone until now. As far as she knew, it was useless information, and she'd have no way to prove it anyway ("Hai guys, I can see dead people for realz!"). Also, I don't believe we know how long she's known.
__________________
KEION!GEEK - a K-On! fan blog
Goggen is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 17:37   Link #44
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
She had no reason to tell anyone until now. As far as she knew, it was useless information, and she'd have no way to prove it anyway ("Hai guys, I can see dead people for realz!"). Also, I don't believe we know how long she's known.
Agreed. Who, besides Kouichi would believe her? And even if they did, until the tape was played there was no reason to burden anyone else with such creepy, upsetting and potentially dangerous knowledge.

EDIT: I should add that I've enjoyed the way this show makes me suspicious of just about everyone. Art-club boy has been ever-present but out of focus for most of the series, and when he went to take the class picture, I took that as a tell, and thought he might be the extra, since the class photos have done unusual things in the past, and this would keep him out of it... but then they went ahead and took one with him there anyway. Well played, Another.

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-03-12 at 17:53.
ThereminVox is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 17:56   Link #45
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Please note that Kouichi's name is at the very bottom of the list, so he might have been added at a later time. Whoever edited the list simply didn't bother to change the date.
Hadn't thought of that.

So I started considering Mikami sensei again and I've got a question.

Isn't the curse supposed to erase previous traces of the Another so if she was the Another would people remember her being in charge of 3-3 in 1996?
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 18:09   Link #46
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Isn't the curse supposed to erase previous traces of the Another so if she was the Another would people remember her being in charge of 3-3 in 1996?
Well since she is a teacher it might work a bit differently. All it really needs to do is erase all memory of her death.
__________________
KEION!GEEK - a K-On! fan blog
Goggen is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 18:10   Link #47
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I have to admit I would have thought that if you had bad asthma and were going on a trip you'd be damn sure to pack a spare inhaler or inhalers...

And when the guy said he'd drive him to the hospital I went "They're going to die!" Although they're in a Volvo estate so fairly sturdy!

I had suspected that stopping the curse would involve a murder, though.
Dop is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 18:34   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Akazawa scored zero points with me by trying to throw Mei under the bus this week. I don't think the phenomenon is anyone's "fault" per se, but if anyone screwed up she did. I suspect this is the start of the downward spiral - maybe along with Teshi saying too much - that starts the "man's inhumanity to man" part of the story, the anime's way of saying "Remember when Nurse-chan dropped John Saul's name way back at the beginning?"
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 18:57   Link #49
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
door banging made me jump a little. haha. i like the subtle development we got this episode, along with amazing amount of imagery in the bed room while they were talking with each other.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 18:58   Link #50
RikaNipah
Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland.
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to RikaNipah
I wonder if Teshigawara actually hurt/killed someone on purpose or whether it was kind of an accident like what Matsunaga did. [When Matsunaga got into an altercation with that guy but then he slipped onto a branch.]
RikaNipah is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 19:08   Link #51
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
As this winter season comes to an end, this is probably going to be the most tense conclusion I've watched in a long time, especially since anything can happen at this point with the gloves coming off.

Quite frankly, given the situations they find themselves in, I'm surprised the rest of the class hasn't turn on each other till now. But like Kouichi had said, can you really bring yourself to kill one of your classmates/friends?

But the worst thing about this is there it's going to happen all over again next year.
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 19:20   Link #52
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Obviously neither I liked how Izumi pointed out that Mei was at fault there for the whole thing. But it is true that she knew relevant information. The most important was the death of her sister. She said she didn't want to believe it, but at least give this piece of information to Izumi. Again, in the early episodes it was suspicious how carefreely Mei and Kouichi interacted together despite the possible curse. We know that Kouichi is her first fanboy so no questions, but mei could have been more careful. Or it is what anyone would think not knowing what she knew, that the curse was already started.
And Mei knew even who the extra is. At least tell that to Izumi or if you can't () tell it to cibiki.
So even if it was not cute at all I can't see Izumi at fault in thinking that, she is at in pointing it out in that way and in that place.
Anyways, Teshigawara looks suspicious to me. He push himself too far killing the school mate.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is online now  
Old 2012-03-12, 19:27   Link #53
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
Misaki is a weirdo. So she knows who it is and doesnt bother to say a thing??? Especially after listening to the tape?

Whats the big deal with killing the dead student, if he/she actually is dead anyways?
warita is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 19:41   Link #54
PreSage
Eureka!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: some random place out there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Whats the big deal with killing the dead student, if he/she actually is dead anyways?
Since they don't know who is dead, they've all become friends over time. Given the struggle of class 3-3, I'm sure the students have become even closer than a normal class. So, if your friend is already dead, it would still be hard to hold that knife and kill him/her, would it not? I would think so.

I wonder if when they reveal who the extra student is, that that student will volunteer to die? That would be a sentimental ending. If it turns out to be Izumi, I think she would do that - it is in her character to take such a heroic act, I think. (Although I don't think she's the extra).

I feel that solving it so simply as having Mei be able to "see the dead" is a deux ex machina that simplifies things too much for what this series has built up so far. A bit of a let down for all the climatic apprehension that's built up to this point.
__________________
:|Sig Gallery|:
:|
Bishielicious|:
---------------
PreSage is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 19:41   Link #55
RikaNipah
Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland.
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to RikaNipah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
And Mei knew even who the extra is. At least tell that to Izumi or if you can't () tell it to cibiki.
So even if it was not cute at all I can't see Izumi at fault in thinking that, she is at in pointing it out in that way and in that place.
I dunno... I kinda feel for Mei because they all ignored her for so long [I know they decided that they 'had' to] then oh so suddenly stopped ignoring her when they realized what they were doing obviously wan't working. Even if Mei knew this information about her sister, I'd think that she'd be pretty hesitant about spilling the beans and personal things to her, to a bunch of 'classmates' who never really cared about her before. Plus, its not like she could tell them before when they were all ignoring her because noone would listen.
BUT I do agree that because she talked/talks to Chibiki a lot, who talks to Akazawa ,she could of at least told him. -nod-
RikaNipah is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 19:50   Link #56
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Misaki is a weirdo. So she knows who it is and doesnt bother to say a thing??? Especially after listening to the tape?
Before listening to the tape knowing who was dead was pretty much pointless since knowning who it was wasn't going to help you stop the phenomenon.
After listening to the tape she doesn't wait around much,she asks Kouichi to come to her room (he's the only person she trusts,this isn't the kind of info you tell anyone,especialy when you've got no proof apart from "I can see dead people") ask to see a photograph with a dead person in it so she can be certain that she has that power,once that was done she was going to tell him,she just got interupted.

Also we're not even sure when she tried finding out who was dead,for all we know she didn't even try before listening to the tape.

The problem with killing the Another is that even if he/she's dead the person doesn't know it and nobody has a way to tell for sure apart from believing in Mei's power,and right now I doubt many students would believe her.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 19:54   Link #57
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikaNipah View Post
I dunno... I kinda feel for Mei because they all ignored her for so long [I know they decided that they 'had' to] then oh so suddenly stopped ignoring her when they realized what they were doing obviously wan't working. Even if Mei knew this information about her sister, I'd think that she'd be pretty hesitant about spilling the beans and personal things to her, to a bunch of 'classmates' who never really cared about her before. Plus, its not like she could tell them before when they were all ignoring her because noone would listen.
BUT I do agree that because she talked/talks to Chibiki a lot, who talks to Akazawa ,she could of at least told him. -nod-
Everybody feel for her, she is mei, who wouldn't That's because I'm trying to balance all the burden Izumi looks to have on her side.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is online now  
Old 2012-03-12, 20:03   Link #58
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Before listening to the tape knowing who was dead was pretty much pointless since knowning who it was wasn't going to help you stop the phenomenon.
I disagree. Who knows if applying the ignore strategy to the real extra would have work it out? Putting aside that is always better to have more information about your enemy. Once we will know who he/she is, some details (was he/she in the party when dead-mate died?) could have been relevant to a some degree back then.
I know that this depends on when Mei discovered who the extra is, but in theory it would have been a great difference.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is online now  
Old 2012-03-12, 20:12   Link #59
haguruma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Actually, scratch that, because come to think of it, there is always someone volunteered to be "non-existent" every year, since they always manage to have exactly 30 students to begin with. The shock for the Class of 98, it seems, would be that they expected to have one empty desk, only to see it suddenly occupied by a late transfer, meaning that they would have to go through the whole rigmarole of pretending someone doesn't exist, only they were one month late, without realising it.
I'd like to step in on that, but only because the important part, that is Misaki's desk, was only discussed very briefly during the time of episode 5-7 where it actually went into what is happening. I will explain this in spoilers (though it really isn't one) so people can keep guessing about it or find it out on their own, but it doesn't matter whether there are 18 students assigened to a 3-3 or 38. This all comes down to a technicality in timing and how schools are orgaized.
Spoiler for How are they a desk short:


And yeah, I'm very happy they're going with something closer to the novel's finale instead of the route the manga took (which was awful because of magical lightning).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I know that this depends on when Mei discovered who the extra is, but in theory it would have been a great difference.
I agree that it is a little convenient for Mei to react this way (it provides us with a method to learn about the one person more and still gives room to enough tension..but it seems so artificial), BUT I also understand her train of thought if this were a real person's decision. She probably knows how impulsive Akazawa and some of the other students are. Either they wouldn't believe her and declare her responsible or it would have started a riot and she would have been responsible for casualities that might have been unnecessary.
It is an important question...is it alright to victimize a person (and though dead, that one person more is at least temporarily alive and breathing) to potentially save others?
haguruma is offline  
Old 2012-03-12, 20:40   Link #60
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I disagree. Who knows if applying the ignore strategy to the real extra would have work it out? Putting aside that is always better to have more information about your enemy. Once we will know who he/she is, some details (was he/she in the party when dead-mate died?) could have been relevant to a some degree back then.
I know that this depends on when Mei discovered who the extra is, but in theory it would have been a great difference.
That's assuming they believe her,like haguruma said even if she tells them she has no proof,they could have tuned against her,not to mention that if Izumi is the another that would make it even harder to tell.
.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.