AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-11, 06:48   Link #1
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Mod Preface:
The purpose of this thread is to house discussion that seek to compare the novels with the way the content was adapted in the anime, and to speculate on how future novels may be adapted.

If you are going to discuss major plot developments from unanimated novels, please use spoiler tags.

The post below was moved from another thread, and discussion picks up from that point.




The adaptation of Nisemonogatari has its good and its bad, but the bad points are more than I expected. Frankly I am a bit worried about the future adaptations. The problem is that whereas Bakemonogatari was more focused, in Nise there is an increasing amount of inner thoughts that not only offer some exposition but also offer the context for the gags. If you cut them all you end up with something that is not so funny and yet you can't cut because it is referenced elsewhere.

And while in Bake the amount of gags was relatively low, so you could cut them here and there and manage to make it appear more serious, this absolutely didn't work in Nise. At the core it's a slice of life comedy. Cutting most of the comedy is cutting the strong point. It is undeniable that Tsukihi Phoenix has a simple story, but that doesn't mean that you can simplify it to this extent in the adaptation. The adaptation feels as weird as if they changed the main character. Things are the same yet they are not.

Some people explained it to themselves thinking Nise is the worst book in the series (something that got stuck from when there was only Bake, Nise and Kizu out). The truth is that if they continue like this Bake will be better than many other stories in the series. Books whose strong point is the inner thoughts of the main character (like NekoShiro and Otori) will be butchered. Kabuki and Oni will receive the same fate of Tsukihi Phoenix probably. Only those books where there are plenty of interactions between characters like Hana and Koi will avoid to be overly compressed, and even then there will be some people who will find them too long like Nise1

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-03-11 at 13:17.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 07:47   Link #2
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
The adaptation of Nisemonogatari has its good and its bad, but the bad points are more than I expected. Frankly I am a bit worried about the future adaptations. The problem is that whereas Bakemonogatari was more focused, in Nise there is an increasing amount of inner thoughts that not only offer some exposition but also offer the context for the gags. If you cut them all you end up with something that is not so funny and yet you can't cut because it is referenced elsewhere.

And while in Bake the amount of gags was relatively low, so you could cut them here and there and manage to make it appear more serious, this absolutely didn't work in Nise. At the core it's a slice of life comedy. Cutting most of the comedy is cutting the strong point. It is undeniable that Tsukihi Phoenix has a simple story, but that doesn't mean that you can simplify it to this extent in the adaptation. The adaptation feels as weird as if they changed the main character. Things are the same yet they are not.

Some people explained it to themselves thinking Nise is the worst book in the series (something that got stuck from when there was only Bake, Nise and Kizu out). The truth is that if they continue like this Bake will be better than many other stories in the series. Books whose strong point is the inner thoughts of the main character (like NekoShiro and Otori) will be butchered. Kabuki and Oni will receive the same fate of Tsukihi Phoenix probably. Only those books where there are plenty of interactions between characters like Hana and Koi will avoid to be overly compressed, and even then there will be some people who will find them too long like Nise1
Let's just hope the Blu-ray version will have added scenes for this episode. It was way too rushed this time.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:07   Link #3
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
The adaptation of Nisemonogatari has its good and its bad, but the bad points are more than I expected. Frankly I am a bit worried about the future adaptations. The problem is that whereas Bakemonogatari was more focused, in Nise there is an increasing amount of inner thoughts that not only offer some exposition but also offer the context for the gags. If you cut them all you end up with something that is not so funny and yet you can't cut because it is referenced elsewhere.

And while in Bake the amount of gags was relatively low, so you could cut them here and there and manage to make it appear more serious, this absolutely didn't work in Nise. At the core it's a slice of life comedy. Cutting most of the comedy is cutting the strong point. It is undeniable that Tsukihi Phoenix has a simple story, but that doesn't mean that you can simplify it to this extent in the adaptation. The adaptation feels as weird as if they changed the main character. Things are the same yet they are not.

Some people explained it to themselves thinking Nise is the worst book in the series (something that got stuck from when there was only Bake, Nise and Kizu out). The truth is that if they continue like this Bake will be better than many other stories in the series. Books whose strong point is the inner thoughts of the main character (like NekoShiro and Otori) will be butchered. Kabuki and Oni will receive the same fate of Tsukihi Phoenix probably. Only those books where there are plenty of interactions between characters like Hana and Koi will avoid to be overly compressed, and even then there will be some people who will find them too long like Nise1
Hmm. I do think in Nise it's been harder to follow the interactions and development of the characters. If I hadn't been spoiling myself, I'd probably be a bit lost with this story. Only last episode, for example, did I realize how this season/these novels have done a huge degree of setup for the future developments with Mayoi and Hanekawa's characters. But I wouldn't have realized it without some spoiler knowledge and your very detailed chapter summaries.

One of the things Shinbo has said is that SHAFT's primary goal with adaptations is to satisfy fans of the original series. Perhaps by focusing too much on that, they've sacrificed a large part of the story's appeal/coherency for mainstream, unfamiliar-with-the-source-material audiences.

I think the basic issue is, like you've pointed out, a more limited access to Araragi's internal monologues. On the one hand, I can appreciate that anime is a visual medium, and that it would probably be extremely difficult to include all of the dialogue which was written in the novels in a more complete manner (because talking is slow, and even Bake had to cut out a lot in order to fit the adaptation into 15 episodes). On the other hand, I do think that this final arc, as well as early episodes such as for example episode 2 with Nadeko, could definitely have used more time, extending the season by maybe one or two extra episodes.

I'm still excited for the next episode though, anyway. We are certainly scheduled to finally see some
Spoiler:
, which has been teased in the promo materials from before even the start of the season.

As for the future of the series, I am fine if SHAFT does it in whatever way which will keep up sales. I don't know if the somewhat compressed method of Nise that they used here will necessarily be the best one for that, but I will be satisfied just so long as SHAFT keeps the series healthy enough to do a complete adaptation. In the end, with the light novels more quickly beginning to be translated and myself planning to learn Japanese, I am prepared to go to the novels themselves in order to get the full story if that is necessary--so, I just hope that all the really amazing scenes which fans are looking forward to will be successfully animated.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:55   Link #4
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I'm still excited for the next episode though, anyway. We are certainly scheduled to finally see some
Spoiler:
, which has been teased in the promo materials from before even the start of the season.
About your comment within the spoiler tag. We are wayyyyyy past that point.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-03-11 at 13:29. Reason: removed content from other thread and simplified quote
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 11:12   Link #5
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
About your comment within the spoiler tag. We are wayyyyyy past that point.
lol, you guys did mention that it was supposed to have been in the previous episode but I am still holding out that next week they will stuff it in. Otherwise, the whole preview thing would turn out to be a complete troll, which I admit could be potentially hilarious. However, I'm still hoping that it will be there.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 12:32   Link #6
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
One of the things Shinbo has said is that SHAFT's primary goal with adaptations is to satisfy fans of the original series. Perhaps by focusing too much on that, they've sacrificed a large part of the story's appeal/coherency for mainstream, unfamiliar-with-the-source-material audiences.
Honestly, I don't know what Shaft wanted to do. It is obvious that it's not entirely their fault, as the novels themselves were not written with adaptation in mind, and there are points that definitely show that. Perhaps the problem is that Shaft tried to use with Nise the same template they used with Bake or something like that. It simply doesn't work. All the novels are different beasts. This or maybe there are misunderstandings between Nisio and either his fans or Shinbo. For example if you read the books you can see Nisio's specialty is the anticlimax, yet Shaft cut most gags of that type.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 13:55   Link #7
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Nise 10:
Spoiler for chapters 6-7-8-9-10:

Last edited by Shikijin; 2012-03-13 at 02:17.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 22:31   Link #8
teja208
Critical fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere with anime and anime discussion is fine
@Shikijin
Quote:
Araragi commented as of now no good impression remained of him. At this point he was like an evil fiend.
That's exactly my impression of him after reading the above novel content.

Just one question. Till this point of Tsukihi arc, Senjougahara hasn't physically appeared yet. Is that right?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 22:34   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Just one question. Till this point of Tsukihi arc, Senjougahara hasn't physically appeared yet. Is that right?
That's correct.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 16:04   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Geez, I see they cut a ton of content from the latest episode. There are so many scenes I would have loved to see animated, particularly the ones focused on Shinobu.

Does anybody know why they alloted seven episodes to Karen Bee and only four to Tsukihi Phoenix? Since both novels are roughly the same size, 6 episodes each would have made more sense, or 6-5 if they really couldn't afford to make a 12th episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
@Shikijin

That's exactly my impression of him after reading the above novel content.
It's good to know that Araragi (and by extension Nisio himself) is aware his image has been completely ruined in Nise
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 08:41   Link #11
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Last one for Nise.
Spoiler for chapter 5 (Senjougahara):

Spoiler for chapter 10 (phoenix):

Spoiler for chapters 11-12-13:

Spoiler for addenda:

Overall Tsukihi Phoenix was actually a deep book, despite being over the top in some parts. I liked how Kaiki was somehow rehabilitated with a piece of neat philosophy in the end despite being still a lying bastard, and I like the reason Araragi kissed Tsukihi, to prove she was indeed his sister because he felt nothing from a kiss with her. It still had its flaws as a book, but I think its merits have been downplayed. The anime in this regard was not able to truly make it shine, although I have to say I liked how they rearranged the plot in the chronological order, making it easy to understand (compared to Karen Bee which had a convoluted plot in the book that didn't work well in the anime). I still wonder how came Tsukihi Phoenix was only 4 episodes. Maybe because it had no Hitagi?

If anything, the anime feels somehow consistent with itself, but the books took their own path, and now the adaptation felt a bit like turning Gintama into Rurouni Kenshin.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 11:12   Link #12
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I don't think watching the anime necessarily means missing the theme of fakes. I picked up the word "nisemono" in the dialogue multiple times.

Also, Mayoi did mention the Rolls Royce legend in the anime.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 11:22   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Thanks a lot once again, Shikijin. Your posts have been highly informative.

A small suggestion: you should add the previous comparisons you posted in the episode threads in the first post. They'll be easier to find this way.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 12:39   Link #14
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I don't think watching the anime necessarily means missing the theme of fakes. I picked up the word "nisemono" in the dialogue multiple times.
I am talking about a different thing, the kanji 偽 (nise). It's used in two kanji words, where it's read "gi". Then again it was not that important (and in some cases maybe it was not even intentional).
Quote:
Also, Mayoi did mention the Rolls Royce legend in the anime.
Did she? I checked episode 9 of Nise, but I can't find it anywhere.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 23:54   Link #15
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Last one for Nise.
Spoiler for chapter 5 (Senjougahara):

Ah so this is how Hitagi called Hanekawa her master...
And the end of fascination...
Nisio Isin really kills Hitagi's character...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 09:36   Link #16
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I am talking about a different thing, the kanji 偽 (nise). It's used in two kanji words, where it's read "gi". Then again it was not that important (and in some cases maybe it was not even intentional).
Did she? I checked episode 9 of Nise, but I can't find it anywhere.

Many thanks for your hard work, Shikijin.


Can you tell us if Senjougahara and the fire sisters' meeting if ever mentioned in the new novels?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 10:18   Link #17
Shikijin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
Can you tell us if Senjougahara and the fire sisters' meeting if ever mentioned in the new novels?
Spoiler for answer:
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 10:30   Link #18
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
Spoiler for answer:
Thanks!

Spoiler:
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 17:24   Link #19
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Whether you'll be buying the Japanese releases or an eventual Western release, prepare to go broke:



i.e. "Entire Monogatari Series: Anime Adaptation Confirmed!"

Apparently, they're thinking along the lines of
  • The second series, Neko-white until Koi, as a 2 cour adapatation
  • Neko-black isn't part of the second series, so they're thinking about how to do that

Also came with bad news, unfortunately: 2012 release for Kizu difficult, so it's being postponed.

source: yaraon
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes



Last edited by karice67; 2012-04-11 at 06:55.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 18:15   Link #20
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Whether you'll be buying the Japanese releases or an eventual Western release, prepare to go broke:



i.e. "Entire Monogatari Series: Anime Adaptation Confirmed!"

Apparently, they're thinking along the lines of
  • The second series, Neko-white until Koi, as a 2 cour adapatation
  • Neko-black isn't part of the second series, so they're thinking about how to do that

Also came with bad news, unfortunately: 2012 release for Kizu difficult, so it's being postponed.

source: yaraon
Good stuff. Glad to hear that this is coming so quickly. If they were gonna do the whole adaptation, I was worried it would take them something like 5 years.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.