AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-19, 13:48   Link #981
Goty
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via ICQ to Goty Send a message via MSN to Goty
Before meeting Kite, Gon had no idea his father was a Hunter and he had no interest into becoming one either. Sorry, but their meeting was way more important than you're implying.

Removing all the Kite references, the anime is, in fact, hurt already. It will feel incredibly forced when/if they finally remember he exists. "Oh, by the way, Gon met this guy in the past before, although we've been ignoring the fact so far!!". I can't call this a good adaptation from the source when it's playing around so much with Gon's motivation.

Btw,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
Wasn't really that impressed with this episode. The changes from the manga were jarring and had some subtle impacts on the plot at large.
That was a great post. Gotta demistify the insinuation that this adaptation is being "faithful" to the manga, when that's far from the truth.

Last edited by Goty; 2012-03-19 at 14:02.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 14:43   Link #982
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
Before meeting Kite, Gon had no idea his father was a Hunter and he had no interest into becoming one either. Sorry, but their meeting was way more important than you're implying.

Removing all the Kite references, the anime is, in fact, hurt already. It will feel incredibly forced when/if they finally remember he exists. "Oh, by the way, Gon met this guy in the past before, although we've been ignoring the fact so far!!". I can't call this a good adaptation from the source when it's playing around so much with Gon's motivation.
How Gon learned of his father and his job isn't that important. Kite is important... later. Recounting their meeting will keep until... I guess, the arc before they meet again. If they just do, and we're only told after that who Kite is, it'll be weird. But aside from that, there's really no rush.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 15:23   Link #983
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
Before meeting Kite, Gon had no idea his father was a Hunter and he had no interest into becoming one either. Sorry, but their meeting was way more important than you're implying.

Removing all the Kite references, the anime is, in fact, hurt already. It will feel incredibly forced when/if they finally remember he exists. "Oh, by the way, Gon met this guy in the past before, although we've been ignoring the fact so far!!". I can't call this a good adaptation from the source when it's playing around so much with Gon's motivation.

Btw,



That was a great post. Gotta demistify the insinuation that this adaptation is being "faithful" to the manga, when that's far from the truth.
To put it another way, all Gon got from Kite was that his father was a Hunter. Which makes Kite the easiest person to replace ever. Heck, he could probably ask some random villager in his hometown. And personally I think his "I want to know what the job my father loved enough to abandon me is like" is a more compelling motivation than some stranger just telling him how cool it is.

Although I didn't like the changes made in the latest episode much.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 18:30   Link #984
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Ummm... I'm going to try and make this my last comment on the Kite matter due to accidental spoilers and whatnot.

He isn't very important now. They can always add him in a flashback later. There is nothing weird about somebody who's never been onscreen before to become an important character.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 19:19   Link #985
Exophase
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Ummm... I'm going to try and make this my last comment on the Kite matter due to accidental spoilers and whatnot.

He isn't very important now. They can always add him in a flashback later. There is nothing weird about somebody who's never been onscreen before to become an important character.
Both sides of this are just going to have to accept that they have different (subjective) viewpoints on exactly what impact removing Kaito has. There's no real point saying that the preference is motivated by bias for or against the new anime either, since that could just as well apply to both sides.

I'm not asking anyone else to agree, but it would be nice if people understood a little better why we think that episode 1's progression changes how the story will feel for us later on. For what it's worth, Togashi is constantly shuffling characters out of the story for long periods of time, leaving us to wonder what they're up to. That's one of the (many) things I really like about the manga. I could list a huge number of people whom this applies to; I won't, since it'd spoil, but suffice it to say that in a later arc Togashi inserts a story smack in the middle to reveal the backstory of a character that seems to have nothing to do with anything that's happening. It becomes more and more clear how much potential this character has for the story, which makes the initial foreshadowing that much more powerful.

And based on how Kaito was introduced and referenced, however sparsely, it was dead obvious he'd become important in the story later. The same way the reader would expect Ging to become important in the story later. Not referencing him when they did feels almost as bad to me as if they showed Gon, completely unambiguously, wanting to become a hunter only because someone told him about it and not because he learned a thing about Ging. So I think that Togashi knew very well what he was doing introducing him when he did (and the big impact he had - saving Gon's life, teaching him an important lesson, teaching him about his father and hunters, and giving him a model of what a hunter is) and I hardly think he was making it up as he went along. That is, I don't think he intended for Kaito to be a one-time character when he started the manga.

And that's kind of the problem with revealing Kaito in a flashback later, like in the time between the next two arcs. With the first episode presented like it was it's a natural conclusion for the viewer that Gon knows about the hunter exam and about Ging because Mito told him about it. There's no reason to think that Mito hid the truth from Gon, because that's not the more obvious thing that an adoptive parent would do. And because of this, Kaito's whole story feels superfluous to me when told well after the fact. I would actually prefer that they dropped the connection entirely, introducing Kaito (if they really do, and I'm sorry, I don't think an intro silhouette in a hunter splash is proof that they will) as a complete stranger to Gon, merely an acquaintance of Ging's. Mind you, I think this has a worse impact on how the plot progresses from here, but a reference to his manga appearance now (which would have to be altered at least, since he clearly didn't give Gon Ging's hunter card) would feel very unnatural to me.
Exophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 03:30   Link #986
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
I finally saw the episode. I liked it. Did they slightly redesign Kalluto? It's a lot easier to accept the fact that he's a boy now.

So uh, how about that Kalluto huh? Anyone else think he looks slightly more boyish than in the manga or the previous anime?

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-21 at 22:47.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 08:45   Link #987
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So uh, how about that Kalluto huh? Anyone else think he looks slightly more boyish than in the manga or the previous anime?
Yeah. The character designer seems to have based the new Kalluto design on his second appearance. It's the sharp hair.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-21 at 22:41.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 11:14   Link #988
rinichan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Toto y Moi pls continue your comparissons... pls dont stop... its educational... for those who dont read the manga .... and besides I like your post it has images, scripts that other commentors dont even care to put... in short they have references....
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 15:03   Link #989
Exophase
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So uh, how about that Kalluto huh? Anyone else think he looks slightly more boyish than in the manga or the previous anime?
Doesn't look any less like a girl to me now.

Note that he's supposed to look like a girl in-universe too. A character much later on mistakes him as one.
Exophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 20:27   Link #990
Dagger
Nitro+ fan
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hyogo
Toto y Moi, I appreciate your attempt to keep this thread from continuing to derail, and I want to reiterate how much I love your recaps. Very interesting stuff!

I'm looking forward to the next episode, but perhaps even more so than that, I'm really looking forward to the new OP and ED in mid-April. Can't wait to see what they come up with animation-wise.
__________________
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 00:17   Link #991
Exophase
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Yeah. The character designer seems to have based the new Kalluto design on his second appearance. It's the sharp hair.
Okay, I went back through the manga and see more what you and Dengar are talking about. In his first three appearances his hair looks the same, as does his overall feminity (large eyes, soft features, dark lips, flower patterns on kimono, physique, etc in addition to the soft voluminous hair). In his fourth (and most major) appearance his hair does look more angular, although not as short as in the new anime. However, the art quality for these chapters is all around much worse than it was for the previous appearances. So I'm more inclined to believe that Kalluto looks like that because his drawings were more rushed and sketchy, and not because of a deliberate change in design.

And if it was deliberate I definitely don't think it was in an attempt to make him look more masculine.
Exophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 03:08   Link #992
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari-san View Post
guys, will this new version of Hunter x Hunter catching with the manga? or stopped at the same previously version of anime, [snip]
Careful about what you post about.

Anyway, the anime continued a fair bit past that point actually.

Regardless of that, I currently have no reason to not believe that the anime will continue at least to the point where the manga is at now. Because the manga just concluded an entire saga. Which seems like a fair point to end the series if it finally manages to catch up to the manga (which will still take a fair while).
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 10:02   Link #993
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
Okay, I went back through the manga and see more what you and Dengar are talking about. In his first three appearances his hair looks the same, as does his overall feminity (large eyes, soft features, dark lips, flower patterns on kimono, physique, etc in addition to the soft voluminous hair). In his fourth (and most major) appearance his hair does look more angular, although not as short as in the new anime. However, the art quality for these chapters is all around much worse than it was for the previous appearances. So I'm more inclined to believe that Kalluto looks like that because his drawings were more rushed and sketchy, and not because of a deliberate change in design.

And if it was deliberate I definitely don't think it was in an attempt to make him look more masculine.
You're totally right--it is a later appearance's design (though instead of his second or fourth, it's actually his fifth). But in terms of the art...are you talking about the weekly releases? Did you know that those were the drafts? Togashi redrew almost every panel for volumes 18-24. The art quality in volume 22 is extremely up-to-par. It's moreso that Togashi's style changed.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 12:17   Link #994
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post

Regardless of that, I currently have no reason to not believe that the anime will continue at least to the point where the manga is at now. Because the manga just concluded an entire saga. Which seems like a fair point to end the series if it finally manages to catch up to the manga (which will still take a fair while).
Just to add to that, the following is last week's TV ratings that highlights ten most-viewed anime:

Spoiler for screentshot:


As can be seen from the above, Hunter x Hunter is occupying the ninth spot. This show won't be going away anywhere for a little bit.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited by monir; 2012-03-22 at 14:27.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 16:37   Link #995
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
What is the series that's occupying the top spot with that insane rating?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 17:01   Link #996
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Sazae-san.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 23:27   Link #997
leokiko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Awesome, this new episode. So much better than the 1999 version, seriously. MUCH more enjoyable.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 23:49   Link #998
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep24:
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 00:23   Link #999
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Spoiler:
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 01:34   Link #1000
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
One of the things you have to love is that this series gives us a chance to hear legends like Yamadera Kouichi, who plays Silva here. His historically significant roles are far too numerous to list, but he's definitely one of the all-time greats, and he nails it here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.