AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-22, 15:44   Link #2561
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Yay fem shep, why wasn't that a suprise to me? and calm down, its obviously a plushie.
Why should it be a surprise?

While the majority of ME players play default male Shepard, they are also largely made up of people who are not hardcore fans of the series. Thus, they do not produce fanart or fanfiction, nor do they post about ME on forums or talk about it excessively with their friends.

A lot of the hardcore fans roll female Shepard, and that's why it seems like she's everywhere. Default male Shepard is the most common choice by a large margin, but it's clear based on fan reaction online that the people choosing to play a default male Shepard are largely the rental type--people playing the game while not being heavily invested in the fandom.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 17:45   Link #2562
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 23
FemSheps are pretty much the 'vocal minority' you see on BSN, or the majority of the minority. Don't mind them, as long as they don't actively try and promote FemShep to be far superior to MShep/Sheploo, which has happened on a frequent basis in the past and still does.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 19:24   Link #2563
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Inside your heart...
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
The more i think about the ending, The worse it gets.
Spoiler for end:
__________________
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/clipboard01vt.jpg
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 19:33   Link #2564
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
The more i think about the ending, The worse it gets.
Spoiler for end:
Maybe the asari and krogan since their lifespans are pretty much about a thousand years, give or take a couple of hundred years (more asari cause krogan die mostly of gunshots). Salarians and drell on the other hand...


On an unrelated note:
Marauder Shields, the comic (1-9, more to come):
http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 19:53   Link #2565
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Inside your heart...
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Maybe the asari and krogan since their lifespans are pretty much about a thousand years, give or take a couple of hundred years (more asari cause krogan die mostly of gunshots). Salarians and drell on the other hand...

http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Spoiler for end:
__________________
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/clipboard01vt.jpg
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 19:54   Link #2566
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
The more i think about the ending, The worse it gets.
Spoiler for end:
They could get home, since Citadel space is not that far from Earth relatively speaking. Sure, it may take them months to do so, and they may have to make some sacrifices and secure alliances and curry some favor (obviously the turians would have to ride with the quarians in order to avoid starving to death).

The quarians are the worst off, but even then not devastatingly so. With most of their resources available on the Migrant Fleet they can survive the years-long journey back to the Perseus Veil.

This is also assuming that the relays cannot be repaired or recreated. Destroying the relays seemed like a really annoying typical Hollywood TECHNOLOGY IS SATAN move, but the more I consider it the more I realize it's not that big a deal. The Protheans were able to create a mass relay (the Conduit, which flung Shepard and company all the way to the Citadel from Ilos) and we have even more knowledge than they did after finishing the Crucible.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 20:34   Link #2567
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Inside your heart...
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
They could get home, since Citadel space is not that far from Earth relatively speaking. Sure, it may take them months to do so, and they may have to make some sacrifices and secure alliances and curry some favor (obviously the turians would have to ride with the quarians in order to avoid starving to death).

The quarians are the worst off, but even then not devastatingly so. With most of their resources available on the Migrant Fleet they can survive the years-long journey back to the Perseus Veil.

This is also assuming that the relays cannot be repaired or recreated. Destroying the relays seemed like a really annoying typical Hollywood TECHNOLOGY IS SATAN move, but the more I consider it the more I realize it's not that big a deal. The Protheans were able to create a mass relay (the Conduit, which flung Shepard and company all the way to the Citadel from Ilos) and we have even more knowledge than they did after finishing the Crucible.
Spoiler for end:
__________________
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/clipboard01vt.jpg
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 20:40   Link #2568
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
The rebuilding of all technology would free the organics from Reapers eventually. It will be slow at first, and bad QoL, but it will be a real triumph for all Spirals.

This is the end of Shepard's story. It could've ended with better plot pacing. But now its time for the New Testament, and the Church of EA will no doubt want more... Donations.
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 20:49   Link #2569
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Spoiler for end:
The on-ship FTL drives can cover entire star clusters in an insignificant (under a day) amount of time.

The Reapers arrived in Batarian space from extragalactic space without the benefit of a mass relay in two years. They were so far away from the galaxy at the end of ME2 that you could see the entire galaxy in the frame! That's millions of light-years we're talking about here. And we already know that the Reapers' FTL drives are roughly twice as fast as that of the Citadel nations.

So it should take the asari, turians and krogan a few months to return home--longer since they'd have to periodically stop and discharge their drive cores in the nearest gas giant.

The quarians would probably take years, possibly decades to return to Rannoch, but they're the second-best fleet equipped for a very long journey, since they have made the fleet their home for the past two centuries.

The geth are artificial intelligences. Time has little meaning to a being who can voluntarily place itself into an extreme low-power state and suspend function as long as power holds out. They don't have to worry about air or food.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 20:56   Link #2570
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Inside your heart...
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The on-ship FTL drives can cover entire star clusters in an insignificant (under a day) amount of time.

The Reapers arrived in Batarian space from extragalactic space without the benefit of a mass relay in two years. They were so far away from the galaxy at the end of ME2 that you could see the entire galaxy in the frame! That's millions of light-years we're talking about here. And we already know that the Reapers' FTL drives are roughly twice as fast as that of the Citadel nations.

So it should take the asari, turians and krogan a few months to return home--longer since they'd have to periodically stop and discharge their drive cores in the nearest gas giant.

The quarians would probably take years, possibly decades to return to Rannoch, but they're the second-best fleet equipped for a very long journey, since they have made the fleet their home for the past two centuries.

The geth are artificial intelligences. Time has little meaning to a being who can voluntarily place itself into an extreme low-power state and suspend function as long as power holds out. They don't have to worry about air or food.
Ok but what about the fuel issue? Where are they going to get that amount of fuel to travel so far?
__________________
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/clipboard01vt.jpg
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 21:19   Link #2571
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The on-ship FTL drives can cover entire star clusters in an insignificant (under a day) amount of time.
The distance that one star cluster covers is... not really comparable to the distance between star clusters. The galaxy is STUPIDLY huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The Reapers arrived in Batarian space from extragalactic space without the benefit of a mass relay in two years. They were so far away from the galaxy at the end of ME2 that you could see the entire galaxy in the frame! That's millions of light-years we're talking about here.
Frankly I find this extremely offensive to physics, not that ME ever cared about that. They simply should not be able to go that fast. It doesn't make any damn sense.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 21:37   Link #2572
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Ok but what about the fuel issue? Where are they going to get that amount of fuel to travel so far?
Especially consider how ME2 portrayed fuel usage... If how fast Normandy burns fuel is canon, and if the fuel storage capacity is typical, it would be damn difficult to travel long distances. Never-mind the fact that no one had seen the need to build anything that can travel that far, because Mass Relays had always been around.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 21:46   Link #2573
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The distance that one star cluster covers is... not really comparable to the distance between star clusters. The galaxy is STUPIDLY huge.



Frankly I find this extremely offensive to physics, not that ME ever cared about that. They simply should not be able to go that fast. It doesn't make any damn sense.
The whole basis of ME's FTL technology is utter nonsense and completely "offensive" to physics. As if running an electric current through Green Rocks could possibly raise and lower the mass of anything near or far away from it.

ME is not hard sci-fi. It's not even soft sci-fi. It's a space opera, "sci-fantasy." It's Star Wars for our generation. It's basically no different from dragons/the Death Star (Reapers) and wizards/Jedi Knights (biotics), just recycledinspace (or in SW's case just plain recycled period). The codex stuff only exists for those nerdy numbers types who loved Star Trek TNG's Treknobabble.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 22:10   Link #2574
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
ME is not hard sci-fi. It's not even soft sci-fi. It's a space opera, "sci-fantasy." It's Star Wars for our generation. It's basically no different from dragons/the Death Star (Reapers) and wizards/Jedi Knights (biotics), just recycledinspace (or in SW's case just plain recycled period). The codex stuff only exists for those nerdy numbers types who loved Star Trek TNG's Treknobabble.
I'm aware of this and wish it would stop pretending to be realistic, heh. Which it does, even if it isn't.

You can't change how big the galaxy is and how long it takes to get places via the rules the setting has established, though. It will take hundreds of years for anyone to get anywhere, unless they hijack the Reapers and use their magical cross-millions-of-light-years-in-two-years technology.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 22:13   Link #2575
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Speaking of which why is it that only the Normandy is the one that crashes? Is it because it's travelling through the relays?

That would mean the entire armada is grounded on Earth. Forgot about travelling to Mars you need to rebuild the fleet
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 22:51   Link #2576
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm aware of this and wish it would stop pretending to be realistic, heh. Which it does, even if it isn't.

You can't change how big the galaxy is and how long it takes to get places via the rules the setting has established, though. It will take hundreds of years for anyone to get anywhere, unless they hijack the Reapers and use their magical cross-millions-of-light-years-in-two-years technology.
Established by ME, the Reapers' FTL drives are only twice as fast as the Citadel races' ships. So the whole thing is BS, but galactic travel is not dead, just slowed from "near instantaneous" to "takes months or years."

These are acceptable breaks from reality for this kind of story. ME would not be served by being "harder" on the sci-fi scale. The technobabble about how all their technology "works" is completely irrelevant to the plot and largely relegated to the Codex entries, which are not needed to play the game at all. ME's technobabble is no better than Star Wars' technobabble, or the technobabble I use to handwave faster-than-light travel and artificial intelligences in my own works of fiction.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 22:53   Link #2577
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
if you read the codex it also states that Reaper are different because they don't need to dump static buildup and no need to refuel

"Reaper power sources seem to violate known physical laws. Reapers usually destroy fuel infrastructure rather than attempting to capture it intact, indicating that Reapers do not require organic species' energy supplies. Consequently, the Reapers attack without regard for maintaining supply lines behind them, except to move husks from one planet to another. Unlike Citadel ships, Reapers do not appear to discharge static buildup from their drive cores, although they sometimes appear wreathed in static discharge when they land on planets."

They don't need to refuel
They don't need to dump static build up
They don't need an infrastructure or supply line
They can make a beeline to one place non stop

Citadel races don't yet have a ship that can do that
__________________

-- Mushoku Tensei. on the dangers of osananajimi attachment
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 23:00   Link #2578
SRanger
Remember, no moe.
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois, California
I don't see how people are even defending this game despite how bad the ending is - the whole entire game just felt really cheap.

First of all, on the cover of the game, over half of the characters aren't even companions. Thane, Miranda...I'm just pissed they skimped out on ME2 great characters for new people that are either gimmicks (EDI) or are just flatout boring (Vega).

The dialogue between missions seems really "streamlined" as well, what happened to like in ME1 where everytime we talked to someone it would be a full dialogue tree, rather than cycle through some generic one liners?

There's hardly any innovation from ME2 to ME3. At least try guys! ME2 made the horrendous gameplay mechanics of ME1 actually enjoyable, and reduced the whole stupid inventory system to something more useful (seriously, over 70% of the guns and armor in ME1 were useless). However, Bioware got the "CoD sickness", by not improving squat! Cool...we got a nice omni blade now for combat instead of punching, and we can roll around. That's..that's pretty much it guys.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 23:02   Link #2579
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
if you read the codex it also states that Reaper are different because they don't need to dump static buildup and no need to refuel

They can make a beeline to one place non stop

Citadel races don't yet have a ship that can do that
That is factored into the "twice as fast" claim.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that destroying the mass relays was a silly way to break your entire universe, especially for future games (single- or multiplayer). I think Bioware really picked a ham-fisted way of making the Reaper war more of a Pyrrhic victory.

I mean, really Bioware, if you hadn't added the MacGuffin Crucible you'd never have to take such a heavy-handed out...
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 23:06   Link #2580
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
well space travel is still possible, but a long galactic spanning civilization is pretty much dead. (unless you chose the a low EMS red ending, in which most technology is also destroyed)

mass relays don't only handle transportation. They are also responsible for long range communication.

With the mass relays gone, everyone is isolated into their own star cluster and it will take very long time to rebuild all that infrastructure and refueling stations.

The Krogans and Asari will probably live long enough to eventually make it home, but the everyone else is out of luck.

Especially the Quarians whose home planet is near the outer galactic rim
__________________

-- Mushoku Tensei. on the dangers of osananajimi attachment
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
effect, games, mass

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.