AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should post count be shown along with rep
Yes 3 21.43%
No 10 71.43%
I don't care 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-26, 06:17   Link #21
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
I said before that I don't expect a mod to start displaying the post count, this thread is just to see people opinions.

@Daniel E. you said we can't use popular opinion to decide anything but wasn't there a poll that decided to close post count? and a poll is based on popular opinion.


I don't see anyone posting who wants to see post count which probably means they know their opinion will not make a difference.
He said everything not anything.
Masuzu is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 06:37   Link #22
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
@Daniel E. you said we can't use popular opinion to decide anything but wasn't there a poll that decided to close post count? and a poll is based on popular opinion
No, it was a decision reached by the staff, not something based only on the result of a poll.

The opinions of our members are always taken into account as a factor, but it is only one of many that need to be considered before a decision is made.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 06:38   Link #23
TimeMask
Phantom Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
He said everything not anything.
True but in the sentence he used the meaning of both words are identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
No, it was a decision reached by the staff, not something based only on the result of a poll.

The opinions of our members are always taken into account as a factor, but it is only one of many that need to be considered before a decision is made.
If the poll had ended with most people voting to keep post count would that have allowed post count to stay?

Last edited by TimeMask; 2012-03-26 at 06:48.
TimeMask is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 07:03   Link #24
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
If the poll ended with most people voting to keep post count would that have allowed post count to stay?
Personally speaking? No, I don't think the post counter would have survived, regardless of the results of that poll. There has always been a "no spam" policy on this forum and the post counter was going against that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask
I don't see anyone posting who wants to see post count which probably means they know their opinion will not make a difference.
I am sure that there's a group here that agrees with you, but at the same time, there's also a group that doesn't. We can't be everything for everybody and a decision had to be made. The factors to remove the post counter where (and still are, IMHO) a lot more convincing that those to restore it.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 07:16   Link #25
TimeMask
Phantom Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Personally speaking? No, I don't think the post counter would have survived, regardless of the results of that poll. There has always been a "no spam" policy on this forum and the post counter was going against that.



I am sure that there's a group here that agrees with you, but at the same time, there's also a group that doesn't. We can't be everything for everybody and a decision had to be made.
Thanks for the feedback, On MangaStream (before a mod deleted it) people had a visible post count and could make tons of threads but the forum seemed nearly as neat as this site due to the mods but there was many deleted new threads on a regular basis.

Last edited by TimeMask; 2012-03-26 at 07:31.
TimeMask is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 07:50   Link #26
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
And why should AS care how other sites handle post counts? While my opinion of the mods here isn't the greatest I fully support the decision not to show the amount of posts for reasons Ledgem already mentioned.
__________________
Eisdrache is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 08:04   Link #27
TimeMask
Phantom Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
And why should AS care how other sites handle post counts? While my opinion of the mods here isn't the greatest I fully support the decision not to show the amount of posts for reasons Ledgem already mentioned.
I was only telling of my past experience (when I was on MS), I agree that AS are right to handle this site as they want and even if every member disagrees since its not like we pay to us this site and the mods don't get payed either.

Keep in mind that this thread is just for stating opinions, also whats wrong with AS mods? I think they are just as good as MS mods.
TimeMask is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 11:34   Link #28
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMask View Post
I was wondering if people would like to see their post count next to their rep?
And why your post count can only be viewed in your profile? yet rep is visible when posting under your avatar.


Most other forums show post count, seeing someones post count could be good to see how active they are on AnimeSuki without having to go into their profile.

I don't think most people would mind other people seeing them with a low post next to their rep so is there a particular reason post count is only visible in your profile.
Post count is not a fair measure of user activity. Many users lurk but don't post, some are active only in certain times of the year, others post like crazy but the quality of their posts leaves something to be desired. We offer a membership join date if you want to judge who has been here the longest, although that doesn't offer much indication of activity either.

Reputation is visible because it is an active element. Reputation offers some indication of the users contributions to the forums. It also offers a method of feedback that removes some of the spam of one line posts like "I agree". You can of course choose not to have reputation displayed. Reputation has no indication of activity either, by the way.

Most people probably wouldn't mind if post count was shown, but then again they don't really seem to care either way. Requests like this are incredibly rare, and out of the thousands of viewers we get per day, over the years we've been active, that's saying a lot. We offer a way for those curious to view another users post count, just check their profile. We're not going to add them to the area under your avatar though.

Your feedback is noted, but there's nothing to debate here. I'm closing the thread as it has served its purpose as feedback.

Thanks.
__________________
Solace is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
post count, rep

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.