AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 32 22.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 29.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 20.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-26, 14:44   Link #21
PKlove
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to PKlove
Ahaha Kazami really got it bad in the anime huh? Many of his parts taken over by others now this, poor guy.

I can't say that it wasn't cool though.
PKlove is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 14:45   Link #22
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
It feels really good when weeks of speculations and theory-crafting turn out to be right. Mostly right. I was mistaken on a few points. Reiko has been my prime suspect since episode 5-6, with Mikami being a close second, but I don't think I would have ever managed to figure out on my own that they were the same person. The first time somebody brought that up in a discussion thread, I found that idea quite far-fetched, if not preposterous. In retrospect, there were hints scattered in the anime, but they were really hard to notice unless you know what you were looking for.

Incidentally I'm not sure that twist was really needed. There were ways to make it work without that. I liked my theory that Kouichi was her "proxy" in the class... However, in the end, it turns out it was pure coincidence his aunt was resurrected the same year he came to Yomiyama. Meh. Furthermore, as I've already said in the Reiko thread, I feel really cheated that not only Kouichi but the whole class was aware of that crucial information. The viewer should have access to the same clues as the "detective" (in this case, Kouichi). But it's not like Another is a pure mystery novel, so I guess I can let that slide...

The big reveal aside, the climax of the story has been quite disappointing, and is what will keep me from giving this series 10/10. The amount of ridiculous deaths eventually killed the tension... they unfortunately crossed the fine line between horror and comedy. It didn't bother me all that much last week since I thought it was "fluke", but they did it again in the final episode. The explanation for the killer grandma was pretty bad too. Didn't it ever cross Chibiki's mind that it might a bad idea to let everybody stay with the emotionally unstable grandparents of a deceased student from class 3-3? It doesn't make sense for her to go on a murder frenzy either, but I guess we can input that to the phenomenon.

I'm also a bit disappointed by the lack of resolution. They stopped the phenomenon for this year, but it will still happen in the future. Nothing was solved. I suppose it will be dealt with in Another 2. An epilogue would have been sweet too... here's hoping Kouichi and Mei will show up in the sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu View Post
I like the parallel between Misaki's relationship with her sister (raised as cousins) and Akazawa's relationship with her cousin (raised as siblings). The two characters were markedly different throughout the series, and that reveal was a clever touch. Was that included in the novel? I remember some novel readers here saying that Akazawa's character wasn't that significant in the novel.
Another reason it was clever is that Mei and Izumi's siblings were major red herrings. Believing Misaki was Mei's cousin led us to think she was not a victim of the calamity, and believing Izumi had a brother in class 3 two years made her a suspect. Speaking of which, I wish they had cleared up whether her brother (err, cousin) was the ignored student who gave up his job or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Had 2 questions at the back of my mind.
- Who was the guy who killed Reiko and why? Just a random crazy guy?

- @17:35: Kouichi says "Goodbye Mother". For what reason?
- He looked young, so it might have been one of her students. Wouldn't it be ironic if she had been originally killed on suspicion of being the Other?

- I assume that's because Reiko was the person closest to a mother to him.
__________________
Mikan & Yami

Last edited by Kanon; 2012-03-26 at 14:57. Reason: Added more
Kanon is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 14:54   Link #23
RikaNipah
Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland.
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to RikaNipah
Mei's little smile at the end made this episode so perfect. Q_Q //crycry
RikaNipah is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 14:57   Link #24
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Why did everyone just go crazy? There sure was a lot of crazy going on.
Only a handful of people made it out in the end.
The librarian was the only one calm.
Akazawa totally lost it & she was the composed one until recently.
Who would have known... Reiko was the one.
I always thought it would be one of the students...
Intense final episode.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:05   Link #25
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It feels really good when weeks of speculations and theory-crafting turn out to be right.
It does, doesn't it ? I recall you being just about the only other person also considering the Reiko = Another theory during the early days of the show, when most just dismissed it. All that hard work paid off! *brofist*
Quote:
The big reveal aside, the climax of the story has been quite disappointing, and is what will keep me from giving this series 10/10. The amount of ridiculous deaths eventually killed the tension... they unfortunately crossed the fine line between horror and comedy.
Aye, I guess this is certainly the reason why the finale felt lacking an emotional punch. Another has always been pretty tens, and at bringing said tension to front. Like a spring being wound up; you know it's going to snap every episode, but never when, on whom, nor how. Calm outwardly, but the inner tension and gloominess one could almost hanging pretty heavily in the air.

The finale was almost a reverse of that though - subtlety got thrown to the wolves, and it turned outwardly chaotic. Instead of being subtly tense, it drowned itself in hysterics and the deaths became both casual and mass-produced, eliminating any sense of tension. It went from psychological horror to slasher flick, so to speak ... a shame

Quote:
I'm also a bit disappointed by the lack of resolution. They stopped the phenomenon for this year, but it will still happen in the future. Nothing was solved. I suppose it will be dealt with in Another 2.
Hm, this one didn't really bother me personally. I guess I never really expected them to solve the mystery to start with - the phenomenon seemed kinda out of reach for the students, who were merely focused on finding the Another, and even that only during the final few eps. I'm not sure where they would even find clues on how to end it for good - that's information that doesn't really exist anywhere. I guess Chibiki can always opt to burn down the school though - considering that is the trigger place, I wouldn't be surprised if that's (or shutting the school down) the only way.

I guess it never really felt like the intangible phenomenon itself was on the chopping block, only the proxy through which it functions - the Another.
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:09   Link #26
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
A decent ending for such a anime. Wow, we got some real nice shots of Misaki's face in this episode, her eyes are so mesmerizing.

What bugs me still is how this whole curse started as we still haven't heard the origin of it. They could only temporary stop it, but it continues on. Evil lingers...
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:14   Link #27
AC-Phoenix
Detective
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
It's basically the same ending only with even more (melo)dramatic events thrown in.

I'll have to let this sink in before I say anything. But for that time, here's the list with everything that was different in the source material.
They actually took a lot of drama out in comparison to the manga though.
For example most of the scenes shwoing how close Reiko and Kouichi really were.
(Example: His grandmother telling him how Reiko told his father to give him to her if hee can't treat him properly. -> don't know wheeher this was from the original work though)
__________________
Those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat it - Santayana

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:14   Link #28
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Ah~, the first 9 minutes of the episode is so entertaining...
*refreshes video and plays again*

I knew the chandelier was gonna be one of the death traps! That is so typical!
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:30   Link #29
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
They actually took a lot of drama out in comparison to the manga though.
For example most of the scenes shwoing how close Reiko and Kouichi really were.
(Example: His grandmother telling him how Reiko told his father to give him to her if hee can't treat him properly. -> don't know wheeher this was from the original work though)
My biggest disappointment was the way they toned down the confrontation between Misaki and Akazawa compared to the manga. I kept expecting Twintails to take out Misaki's eye, but it never happened. But on the other hand, the destruction of the inn in the manga was pretty lame, so it all balances out.

One thing that is bugging me -- if the students are all losing their memories of Mikami, who do they think has been teaching them since Kubodera's death?

I think this series merits a marathon rewatch soon, just to pick out all the clues. I'll be particularly interested in the beach episode since I don't recall Sakakibara treating Reiko like a teacher during the excursion.
Utsuro no Hako is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:31   Link #30
ScudFace
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Ah~, the first 9 minutes of the episode is so entertaining...
*refreshes video and plays again*

I knew the chandelier was gonna be one of the death traps! That is so typical!
The best part was someone surviving the chandelier of death and crawled out to make a break for the door only to get hit by a pillar. That burning mansion has some good teamwork going on. (am I a horrible person for LoLing at that scene?)
ScudFace is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:37   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
There's one thing that bothered me and forgot to mention. Mei said Mikami was the only assistant homeroom teacher in the whole school, and yet nobody ever found that weird, apparently. That and the fact she was the homeroom teacher two years ago should have made her incredibly suspicious. I mean, really, it was just a matter of putting two and two together there. Is Mei incredibly smart or is it Izumi -who supposedly investigated a lot- who is not as bright as I thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
It does, doesn't it ? I recall you being just about the only other person also considering the Reiko = Another theory during the early days of the show, when most just dismissed it. All that hard work paid off! *brofist*
*brofist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hm, this one didn't really bother me personally. I guess I never really expected them to solve the mystery to start with - the phenomenon seemed kinda out of reach for the students, who were merely focused on finding the Another, and even that only during the final few eps. I'm not sure where they would even find clues on how to end it for good - that's information that doesn't really exist anywhere. I guess Chibiki can always opt to burn down the school though - considering that is the trigger place, I wouldn't be surprised if that's (or shutting the school down) the only way.

I guess it never really felt like the intangible phenomenon itself was on the chopping block, only the proxy through which it functions - the Another.
I personally thought they would attempt to put an end to the phenomenon up until the time they found out somebody else had managed to stop the calamity once. It's only then that I realized they were going to use the same method as him and save their butts and their alone.

When you think about it, there is an easy way to prevent more people from dying, at least for as long she lives: Mei. She's got a ghost radar so she can easily find the extra person and kill him. I kinda thought she would become a teacher in order to be able to fulfill that mission more easily, and that the series would end on a hot adult Mei -in a suit- entering class 3. She's got a great gift and has a responsibility to use it, in my opinion. She could save countless lives.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:41   Link #32
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Well - that was surprisingly satisfying. Only thing I didn't care for was the Reiko = Mikami thing, that was a HUGE cheat. I know some people - including myself - suspected Reiko at some point, though for me I discarded that idea when Mei revealed that "the dead person is here". Which leads me back to how not telling us that Reiko was indeed there was a HUGE FREAKING CHEAT. But other than that, I liked the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
I don't really mind the main characters going berserk but all those random accidents in the beginning of the episode = lol. Kouchi simply going back in the building without anyone trying to stop him = lol. All those explosions, lightings, etc = lol. OH WAIT THE CALAMITY DID IT... ok.
...yeah, it's not like the calamity causing seemingly random accidents is the premise of the show or anything.
__________________
KEION!GEEK - a K-On! fan blog
Goggen is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:44   Link #33
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Come to think (see) of it, that Zoner-boy is alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudFace View Post
The best part was someone surviving the chandelier of death and crawled out to make a break for the door only to get hit by a pillar. That burning mansion has some good teamwork going on.

(am I a horrible person for LoLing at that scene?)
The god of death is an intelligent one. I'm surprised the group was able to make it out of the chandelier though.

It was an intentionally comedic death scene, so it's okay.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:46   Link #34
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
There's one thing that bothered me and forgot to mention. Mei said Mikami was the only assistant homeroom teacher in the whole school, and yet nobody ever found that weird, apparently. That and the fact she was the homeroom teacher two years ago should have made her incredibly suspicious. I mean, really, it was just a matter of putting two and two together there. Is Mei incredibly smart or is it Izumi -who supposedly investigated a lot- who is not as bright as I thought?
Everyone thought it had to be a student from the class, that's why. It feels like a cop out but at the same time it feels like a genius move, lol.

And I guess all of those dolls and puppets were just meant to creep us out, be a red herring or something in beginning, haha.
DragoZERO is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:50   Link #35
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Man, that was an awesome series. For the first time, Misaki looked frail and I thought it was pretty damn cute. She had that evil smirk when Akazawa pins her down though, and that was so damned epic.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is online now  
Old 2012-03-26, 15:55   Link #36
HKsekai
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Wait so the person who killed Reiko a year and a half ago was a random guy? But then why does Koichi not remember being in Yomiyama a year and a half ago? Or is that his cousin that no one remembers as well.........
HKsekai is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 16:08   Link #37
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Everyone thought it had to be a student from the class, that's why. It feels like a cop out but at the same time it feels like a genius move, lol.
They just needed to think outside the box. Mei did, why not the others? Chibiki of all people should have considered that possibility...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKsekai View Post
Wait so the person who killed Reiko a year and a half ago was a random guy? But then why does Koichi not remember being in Yomiyama a year and a half ago? Or is that his cousin that no one remembers as well.........
He does not remember because he came to Yomiyama to attend Reiko's funeral. Erasing Reiko's death (the reason he was in Yomiyama) from his memory means erasing the whole trip.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 16:20   Link #38
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon
There's one thing that bothered me and forgot to mention. Mei said Mikami was the only assistant homeroom teacher in the whole school, and yet nobody ever found that weird, apparently. That and the fact she was the homeroom teacher two years ago should have made her incredibly suspicious. I mean, really, it was just a matter of putting two and two together there. Is Mei incredibly smart or is it Izumi -who supposedly investigated a lot- who is not as bright as I thought?
Actually, I don't think Izumi was ever portrayed as particularly perceptive. Opinionated and stern - yes (that doesn't necessarily mean smart though), but not intelligent to a degree worth special notice. On that note, I always found it somewhat amusing how it was Koichi and co doing all the digging around, uncovering new information and putting in extra effort, while Izumi, to the best of our knowledge, only kept biting her lips when something bad happened

As for the sole assistant homeroom teacher issue, I would actually chalk this up to most everyone, even Chibiki, making the assumption that Another has to be a classmate specifically, so he probably never paid much attention to anyone outside the students of 3-3 (something which will change now, presumably).

It's something I remember pointing out back in episode 6, when Chibiki mentions that ignoring someone works only half the time, and he has no idea why it fails the other half time. Which is how I remember concluding that it's possible for Another to exist outside the student body of 3-3 (Obviously during these times ignoring a student would fail), but still connected within 2 degrees of separation that the curse affects, which tied Reiko to the class nicely.

So ... I guess that the simple answer is, people (Chibiki) were so focused on the class 3-3 itself, probably because the original case featured a student, that they failed to even consider an option beyond the boundaries of the 3-3 student body. A dangerous and untrue assumption, as it turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I personally thought they would attempt to put an end to the phenomenon up until the time they found out somebody else had managed to stop the calamity once. It's only then that I realized they were going to use the same method as him and save their butts and their alone.

When you think about it, there is an easy way to prevent more people from dying, at least for as long she lives: Mei. She's got a ghost radar so she can easily find the extra person and kill him. I kinda thought she would become a teacher in order to be able to fulfill that mission more easily, and that the series would end on a hot adult Mei -in a suit- entering class 3. She's got a great gift and has a responsibility to use it, in my opinion. She could save countless lives.
The issue with stopping the calamity, the way I see it, is that they wouldn't have the first clue where to start. With Another it's (relatively) simple - it's a tangible existence that can be killed. So they know both what to look for, and what to do once they find it.

With the overriding phenomenon itself though ... I honestly wouldn't know where to start. They already mentioned that exorcisms and the like failed, so as far as that goes, I'm quite stomped what can be done about it or where to start looking. The only thing that comes to mind is destroying the school itself (beyond repair), or forcing it to shut down some other way. I feel at a loss myself on this issue, (aside from going destruction derby on the school ... I wonder if Chibiki has considered it ), so I'm not surprised the kids didn't try to stop the phenomenon - seems like something way beyond their reach, as there isn't any workable angle.

As for Mei being a teacher, that's an interesting thought, though I certainly wouldn't begrudge her if she didn't (as appealing as the thought about a hot adult Mei is ) - as we know the teacher of class 3-3 is susceptible to the curse as well, so that's a pretty dangerous spot to be in. Luck going sideways, she might even be the first to bite it, before getting a chance to do anything (assuming she even has it in her to keep doing such a job. They are just kids who went through a bloody mess right now, wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to steer as clear as possible). If it were me, I'd look to get as far away from that town as possible, just in case, as soon as I could ... never know when you are going to be hit by a curse-inducted runaway car that was aiming at a class 3-3 student walking two steps in front of you
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 16:21   Link #39
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
I've been avoiding speculation on Another for the past week, particularly those on Reiko Mikami, as I didn't want to believe that would be the twist. It still feels... lame. Not quite the Sixth Sense or The Others revelation that astounded me long ago. It's more like, hmm, the ending of [REC], which made sense but was, at the same time, strangely unsatisfying.

Still, well-deserved congratulations to Kanon and everyone else who got it right!

As for all the loose ends, such as Reiko's unknown assailant, the dolls and the mystery surrounding Kirika — they're the reasons that there'll be a novel sequel, so it's hardly surprising that they exist. After all, no self-respecting horror-franchise wannabe would kill the golden goose by giving its audience anything resembling "closure".
TinyRedLeaf is offline  
Old 2012-03-26, 16:53   Link #40
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
To be honest, it is all Mei's fault, since she knew who should have died in the first place, but by not telling, caused Akazawa-san and Sugiura-san to die. And some other people.
"It's not like it would make any difference..."
No nononono, when peoples' life is at stake (especially Akazawa-san and Sugiura-san), that is what you say after you try everything. Of course, the god of death is in love with her and she knows she won't die, so I'm sure it doesn't matter to her.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.