AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-26, 03:53   Link #201
Domonkazu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Deutschland
Age: 30
80's heh reminds me back LoGH and Macross SDF, actually as for me it really depends.

what I really liked most from 80's and 90's anime was the music.

like this
Five Star Stories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkcQv3pXnTQ

Brain Powered OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp9TUMJugnw

0083 OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA450yRJ6Cs
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 04:05   Link #202
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Would you chalk up old-school preference to simply nostalgia? Or not? Also, where do you stand and why?
As for the first question, I do suspect most to be driven by nostalgia, for a time when anime was still fresh and shiny for them, as demonstrated by a couple of replies. Someone said that the best litterature you have read is the one you have read when you were 12 years old. That quite apply here. We have also seen not just people prefering 1980s designs over today's designs, but much more people prefering the 1990s, mostly those who have been raised by Adult Swim or Toonami, wheere their tastes were shaped by a healthy dose of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Gundam Wing and Evangelion.

As for the last question, I have said it myself, I don't have a decade I favor over all else, more than that, I have favorite character designers and mangaka. I absolutely do not long for a comeback of glorious vintage designs because I know Japan caters to its own market, and not mine, and I deal with it.
__________________
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=959 target=_blank>Kancolle Social Group</a>
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 04:14   Link #203
mecharobot
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
As for the first question, I do suspect most to be driven by nostalgia, for a time when anime was still fresh and shiny for them, as demonstrated by a couple of replies.
While there are some bags of old bones in this forum, there is also a hefty amount of those who watch old anime side by side with new anime. This "most are driven by nostalgia" is a completely underhanded strawman built to avoid facing the thoughts people put forth effort to express and is quite frankly insulting towards them.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 07:00   Link #204
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
That you feel insulted by my reply, wow.

Did you at least make the effort to read the rest of my post to put things in perspective? And what's so wrong with being driven by nostalgia?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 07:36   Link #205
mecharobot
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Sure, I read your post. The rest of it says nothing otherwise. And are you saying that you really don't get what is insulting in overwriting peoples reasoning for themselves with your own?
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 07:43   Link #206
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I don't have a decade I favor over all else, more than that, I have favorite character designers and mangaka.
The only logical answer

/thread
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 07:44   Link #207
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba
As for the first question, I do suspect most to be driven by nostalgia, for a time when anime was still fresh and shiny for them, as demonstrated by a couple of replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecharobot
Sure, I read your post. The rest of it says nothing otherwise. And are you saying that you really don't get what is insulting in overwriting peoples reasoning for themselves with your own?
No offense, but I do suspect Sheba's quote to be just his opinion. Which I happen to agree with, mind you. A large majority of anime viewers who prefer the 80's and 90's animation/designs grew up in that era where animation of those ages were what was commonplace at the time. It's not wrong to assume a good many (if not the majority) of those who prefer anime from the 80's and 90's to be influenced by nostalgia sake. I mean, how many teens or young adult prefer older anime designs over the newer generation of anime designs? Few, I'd say, as it's what they grew up watching and it feels more natural to them. Of course, I cant place my assumptions as fact, but almost every time I hear or see some one complaining about how the old generation of anime was superior, they're typically in their thirties or older.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 08:08   Link #208
mecharobot
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Isn't that the same as saying that peoples main reason for liking new character designs is because they are very young? All other reasons be damned. Why are we even discussing this if it is that simple. You like only the things that you liked as a kid (which means that I shouldn't like anything as I didn't watch anime when I was a kid), otherwise there are no differences to speak of. It is actually very wrong to assume so, because then you are brushing off everyone elses opinion.

I mean, it certainly is a convenient way of thinking. An argument that answers everything, while indirectly branding people as either hipsters or senile. There couldn't possibly exist aesthetic reasons tied to the context of stories for preferences in character desings. Oh, not it is just what age the person happens to be. Oldtimers are dinosaurs who are not to be taken seriously and newcomers are mindless sheep who like stuff just because it's popular.

Last edited by mecharobot; 2012-03-26 at 08:25.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 08:23   Link #209
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
We're only discussing that it's an influencing factor, not the only factor. And it's a factor that makes or breaks which era certain people prefer. But I don't ever recall saying that was the case for everyone. After all, there are people in their fourties who prefer the newer character designs, just as there are younger viewers who enjoy the old ones. But to think nostalgia doesn't play a role in peoples opinions is kind of silly. Both the new and old generation designs have their advantages, it's just that people who grew up watching anime in the 80's will be more inclined to prefer the advantages of the 80's character designs over the ones of today...And vise/versa. Nothing is absolute, but nostalgia does play a large psychological role in reminding people of the enduring appeal of their own past.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 09:20   Link #210
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
Isn't that the same as saying that peoples main reason for liking new character designs is because they are very young? All other reasons be damned. Why are we even discussing this if it is that simple. You like only the things that you liked as a kid (which means that I shouldn't like anything as I didn't watch anime when I was a kid), otherwise there are no differences to speak of. It is actually very wrong to assume so, because then you are brushing off everyone elses opinion.

I mean, it certainly is a convenient way of thinking. An argument that answers everything, while indirectly branding people as either hipsters or senile. There couldn't possibly exist aesthetic reasons tied to the context of stories for preferences in character desings. Oh, not it is just what age the person happens to be. Oldtimers are dinosaurs who are not to be taken seriously and newcomers are mindless sheep who like stuff just because it's popular.
I think that you are brushing other people's opinion. There are people in fact who like the older style simply due to the nostalgia factor. It's not much different from people saying that they liked the older disney movies more for their style and animation, unlike what Disney produces these days. (i am pretty sure that i am not in the minority when it comes to thinking that most of the Disney classics are better than their modern works, even if those movies came out before I was born)
Or people who prefer practical effects in movies over the abundance of CG these days.
Another example when it comes to videogames, the current generation does not seem to appreciate the 8 and 16 bit games from 2 or 3 decades ago with the exception being the more famous classic ones. I know lot's of people who prefer ps3, xbox360 games , simply because they feel those older games are outdated.
It's just a matter of taste. Also there are also enough people of this current generation who likes the older style. But i am pretty sure most of them don't appreciate the older style because they are not used to see these days from anime.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 12:29   Link #211
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Someone was kind enough to do a picture within picture of this to show (roughly) scene for scene the changes from 1970s character and mecha design to present day.


Space Battleship Yamato
(to the audio of the 2199 Trailer which is in the corner)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 08:50   Link #212
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Speak for yourself! I thought the first six episodes were incredibly creepy. They did a very good job with the environments and sound. I don't think that character design would really contribute. After all, plenty of horror movies have attractive actors and actresses in them, don't they? I've never heard anyone complain that attractive people ruined a scary movie.
Lol I found this and I just wanted to let you know of other people that felt same way I did. I don't believe your argument makes sense with the pretty actresses....

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=109523&page=2

Originally Posted by creb View Post
Another - 3/10
People tell me this is supposed to be a good show, but life has been hectic so I've only seen episode one. I thought I was watching an eroge, but without the ero (and I think eroges are about the second worst thing in anime). Eventually, I'll be watching more episodes, and maybe it'll grow on me. All the 'critics' can't be wrong, right???
Rofl. I would attribute your impressions to the character design and that alone. I can definitely see why you would feel like you were watching an eroge. After all, cute girls after cute girls along with some boys who have that character design that screams "eroge stock" and just so happen to be classmates pop around the MC who just so happens to be sickly and new to the area. I suppose it's a good thing I don't mind eroge feel (although eroge adapted into anime suck hard indeed). But I assure you another isn't anything like an eroge. And if and when you do get around to watching more episodes, I suggest re-watching episode 1 after you watch episode 3. The change in feel of the episode should send shivers down your spine. So to speak.

>> Now that I think about it... the character designs do remind me of eroge lol which totally ruins the show.
__________________
<3
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 15:57   Link #213
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
Lol I found this and I just wanted to let you know of other people that felt same way I did. I don't believe your argument makes sense with the pretty actresses....
I don't particularly care whether one or one thousand other people agree with you, we're talking about opinion. Personally, I would have been more interested to know why you don't believe that my argument about pretty actresses makes any sense. Remember, you wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
Another thing with the making everything pretty is certain anime would be so much better if they actually did a different character design or animation style just because the genre is horror etc. Like for the anime ANOTHER, it doesn't feel scary or creepy at all. The mood is just not there. I'm sure a lot it can be attributed to the character designs. I feel like if they're too obsessed with making anime look pretty...
You criticize the character designs (which could be thought of as the "actors and actresses") as being too pretty and ruining the feel of the show, yet feel that attractive actors and actresses in a horror film is a totally separate thing? There's no right or wrong to this and I'm not criticizing your opinion, but I'd be interested in your reasoning behind such a statement.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 19:23   Link #214
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
I thought Another's moe, eroge-like character designs were a great choice. And not just for the cuteness itself, but because the cuteness gives the deaths more punch then they would have had otherwise. So no, it's not just me liking PA Work's art style in general and thinking Mei resembled Chihiro from EF.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 21:08   Link #215
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
yeah, that was whole point of slaughtering "the cute" - it was definitely horrific.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 21:11   Link #216
Salt
the cynic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Somewhere between life and death.
Age: 32
The 80s designs died with the big-hair of the 80s. The 70s design with the hippy-hair of the 70s.

I living in 2012 prefer the current designs - which hasn't really changed much since the 90s; but then again I'm a product of that era so maybe I didn't notice the changes. Not to mention we have labour saving computers now, which improves efficiency and allows cleaner images.
__________________
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 21:40   Link #217
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I thought Another's moe, eroge-like character designs were a great choice. And not just for the cuteness itself, but because the cuteness gives the deaths more punch then they would have had otherwise. So no, it's not just me liking PA Work's art style in general and thinking Mei resembled Chihiro from EF.
Similarly, I've found that a rugged character design can make someone not realize how much he or she cares about the character until **** hits the fan. The episode 80 mark of Legend of the Galactic Heroes wouldn't have been as significant if I knew I liked a certain character right away rather than being surprised at how attached to this character I became.
__________________
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 11:20   Link #218
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
(although eroge adapted into anime suck hard indeed).
D-don't you DARE bash Visual Key's works!!
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 11:23   Link #219
Eragon
Star Crossed, literally.
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the warm embrace of ice.
Age: 21
xxanimefan4_ever seems to make point to get on people's nerves
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 18:44   Link #220
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
To update my comparison of 1970s character designs to retro modern times to the next level as it is now possible to compare directly the 1974 vs 2012 beginning of Space Battleship Yamato. Bandai has released the first ten minutes of the first episode has as a teaser. (It goes of for a little longer than the section presented from 1974 but the rest of that episode is avalible.)

Space Battleship Yamato - Episode 1 (1/3) - 1974


Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Episode 1 (1/2) - 2012


(I prefer this one as it is less choppy that the other one out there)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.