AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-02, 03:47   Link #61
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 27
It's a war between publishers and retailers, and no matter what the outcome gamers suffer while it goes on.

I think the retailers brought it on by trying to stifle digital downloads, aggressively marketing used games and demanding control over the prices. They're middlemen who don't really influence the quality of games. So while I feel sorry for the people working game stores, I'd like to see them shut down, and then hopefully that'll revitalize the industry and lower the prices. The silly DRM...is something we'll likely have to live with, though.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 03:58   Link #62
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I think the retailers brought it on by trying to stifle digital downloads
I might only be speaking for myself here, but I greatly prefer physical copies. I feel uncomfortable purchasing nothing but data; there's no guarantee I'll be able to keep it if, say, my hard drive dies, and besides I prefer to display my games on a shelf anyway. Can't do that with digital downloads.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 03:59   Link #63
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
This anti-used policy is probably why the game companies were opposed to SOPA, so this way they can impose their own diabolical plans and further limit the choices of the gaming community. They may as well send armed police to our doors demanding a sweep of our dated videogame lot and arrest us for owning anything older than a Playstation 3/360 Slim.
Some game developers were opposed to SOPA for various reasons, most personal, but companies like EA were absolutely not opposed to SOPA, since it would let them "prevent competition infringement" with impunity...
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 04:06   Link #64
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 33
Is the backwards compatibility connected to the PS3's Cell cpu?

I could imagine with a unique architecture like that for PS3, backwards compatibility would be impossible, if they switched to something else for PS4.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 17:42   Link #65
Nayim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Malaysia
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...developers-say

Apparently the Wii U actually isn't as strong as many fans hope. Yes the system is strong, but power doesn't always mean that it's better. Just like with the N64 and PS1, and the GCN and PS2, the Wii U has its limits eventhough it's stronger than the 360/PS3 in some ways.

So how do you feel about this? Do you think the Wii U's strongpoints beat out it's weak points? Or does its weakpoints actually make it worse than the 360 and PS3?
__________________
Nayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 18:37   Link #66
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
It's just another rumor.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 20:44   Link #67
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Is the backwards compatibility connected to the PS3's Cell cpu?

I could imagine with a unique architecture like that for PS3, backwards compatibility would be impossible, if they switched to something else for PS4.
Interesting point. If it was *really* a physical limitation, I'd accept that. But, of course, SONY would probably say that it is that way even if it isn't really that way.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 10:30   Link #68
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I might only be speaking for myself here, but I greatly prefer physical copies. I feel uncomfortable purchasing nothing but data; there's no guarantee I'll be able to keep it if, say, my hard drive dies, and besides I prefer to display my games on a shelf anyway. Can't do that with digital downloads.
Nothing stops me from saving game data to a medium of choice and jotting down the activation codes...in the end, it's just the nature of the DRM that determines how freely I can reinstall and return to my games, and DRM is generally a digital thing. Even if I have a physical copy of a software it can require internet access, have a limited amount of activations, a limited timeframe of activation, and all that other nonsense.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 10:46   Link #69
Flying Dagger
大巧不工
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I feel that the Wii has established itself in a somewhat niche market of a party/family console.

While we have internet to almost every home these days, not everyone may have a wireless router/has the knowledge to set up wifi.

The # of activation games allow worries me: what if my PS4 breaks down? Does that mean I will have to rebuy all my games? Alternatively, will I be able to attach each game to a different PSN account and resell each game individually? Can I no longer bring a game to a friend's place or borrow games from my friends?
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 10:56   Link #70
Yorae_paladin1
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Puerto Rico
If that happens if off gaming for good.
__________________
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 18:36   Link #71
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This is the latest rumor if you interested
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 18:46   Link #72
Zexas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
oh shit next generation is here...
__________________
Zexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 19:52   Link #73
Vigo
too lazy to post
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 25
I don't want to be disappointed but oh fuck. It begins...

HYPE!!!

Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 22:23   Link #74
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I might only be speaking for myself here, but I greatly prefer physical copies. I feel uncomfortable purchasing nothing but data; there's no guarantee I'll be able to keep it if, say, my hard drive dies, and besides I prefer to display my games on a shelf anyway. Can't do that with digital downloads.
100% my feelings as well. I like the feel of security that having actual games I can hold gives me. ntm downloading modern games takes waaay too long to download for me, especially if my internet gives out or wavers during it.

And also, the frightening trend of asking the same or close price for downloads as for the physical media seems to be rising. All that money meant to pay for discs, plastic covers and paper is just going into the seller's pocket, just extra for them and nothing more for me. That is the price of convenience I guess...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
*snip*
This is very exciting. And it seems so close now!
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 23:32   Link #75
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well definitely looking forward to seeing just what the PS4 will bring.

Not quite hyped up yet, but I'm sure it will get there.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 00:25   Link #76
T-6000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
My brother is going to be *VERY* interested in that trailer when I show him....as soon as he gets off of work.

Like many of you here, I too have been hearing rumors of the next Playstation, as well as the next XBox. In fact, many rumors have hinted out that the next Xbox and Playstation consoles will be released this fall. I have a gut feeling that these rumors will be true and that we will be seeing next generation consoles released this fall (and I imagine some of you feel that way too), especially now that I have seen that trailer.

I myself am not a Console gamer but instead a PC Gamer, but I do like to keep track of tech news which includes the release of the next generation consoles. This is one of the reasons why I held off upgrading my Primary PC Gaming rig until late fall this year. I had planned on upgrading Spring of this year.
__________________
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 00:35   Link #77
demino_hellsin
That one guy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
If a corporation isn't satisfying the consumer then just let it die. There's no point in raging about it really. I think used market sales and such being considered ban is pretty stupid. The problem of sales is mostly that the creators don't know what each audience wants and how to produce for them. The casual crowd wants something they can just pick up and drop without paying a single dime for. The hardcore audience will, I sh*t you not, throw money at the companies just to make games that are timeless and absolutely beautiful to keep on your shelf if not play.

However, this just seems to whiz by their heads. They keep thinking about pandering to a bigger audience, imagining what if Angry Bird players, note to be anywhere from clueless 5 year olds to really bored 50 year olds, as people willing to shell cash for the new CoD which is mostly a peer pressure game anyway. They should realize that 5 year olds don't have money and bored 50 year olds play Angry birds because they are bored, not because they shelled $60 for it. Quality games are dying because works of art, personal view, like the single digit final fantasy series are just turning into shells of their former selves now.

I've already given up hope on some game devs companies and am moving on to newer promising game devs. Consoles are just as easy. If the new PS4 is just as dumb as Kotaku makes it sound, then I would have no second thoughts of moving on to a wii u or just sticking to a PC.

The problem with using a digital copy is indeed the effective "rent" system which would be established. Yes you have a soft copy of the game, yes you are able back it up. But the second you misplace you username and password then you're probably five kinds of screwed. All your gaming investments turn into nothing. You practically have to have that username and password tattooed on you or something especially if you abuse the auto log-in features. Not to mention if hackers decide to play around in PSN again. The only way for your hard copy CD's to break is if you're being stupid with them. The sheer security if knowing you have a dedicated solid copy is very different from just having the installer or something. Compare e-book at a real paperback book. The feel and experience is different.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 04:22   Link #78
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
If a corporation isn't satisfying the consumer then just let it die. There's no point in raging about it really. I think used market sales and such being considered ban is pretty stupid. The problem of sales is mostly that the creators don't know what each audience wants and how to produce for them. The casual crowd wants something they can just pick up and drop without paying a single dime for. The hardcore audience will, I sh*t you not, throw money at the companies just to make games that are timeless and absolutely beautiful to keep on your shelf if not play.

However, this just seems to whiz by their heads. They keep thinking about pandering to a bigger audience, imagining what if Angry Bird players, note to be anywhere from clueless 5 year olds to really bored 50 year olds, as people willing to shell cash for the new CoD which is mostly a peer pressure game anyway. They should realize that 5 year olds don't have money and bored 50 year olds play Angry birds because they are bored, not because they shelled $60 for it. Quality games are dying because works of art, personal view, like the single digit final fantasy series are just turning into shells of their former selves now.

I've already given up hope on some game devs companies and am moving on to newer promising game devs. Consoles are just as easy. If the new PS4 is just as dumb as Kotaku makes it sound, then I would have no second thoughts of moving on to a wii u or just sticking to a PC.

The problem with using a digital copy is indeed the effective "rent" system which would be established. Yes you have a soft copy of the game, yes you are able back it up. But the second you misplace you username and password then you're probably five kinds of screwed. All your gaming investments turn into nothing. You practically have to have that username and password tattooed on you or something especially if you abuse the auto log-in features. Not to mention if hackers decide to play around in PSN again. The only way for your hard copy CD's to break is if you're being stupid with them. The sheer security if knowing you have a dedicated solid copy is very different from just having the installer or something. Compare e-book at a real paperback book. The feel and experience is different.

You're reading a Kotaku article, that's bad enough but it's also from 11 months ago and hence is bullshit.

We would be better off if this thread was split off from RRW's post with the teaser clip + more than likely near accurate (specs can get bumped/downgraded last minute) leaks.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 10:29   Link #79
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
We would be better off if this thread was split off from RRW's post with the teaser clip + more than likely near accurate (specs can get bumped/downgraded last minute) leaks.
Do it, do it, do it.
Edge just published what he know so far: edge-online.com
Short summary, apparently the recent leaks for the ps4 are real and the next dual shock will have a touchpad, which replaces start and select(?). Furthermore it will have a share button that will record your gaming, so you can show off your mad or bad gaming skills to the internet public.
Furthermore it seems like sony is waiting for MS to reveal how much usable memory is available on their machine, before deciding if they need to upgrade theirs. So basically specs are nearly complete except for the amount of ram.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 10:51   Link #80
demino_hellsin
That one guy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I'm sorry if my post came out as a huff of anger over old news. But I've yet to see them deny the statements either. I'm very unsettled about the possibility of the rumors even being true. If anyone can prove the claims to be wrong please tell me.

@_@
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.