AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-03, 05:53   Link #81
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
The company I work for now, A-dec, is the company handling the webpage and data broadcast, and I confirmed with the tantou about what it was supposed to mean and notified ANN about it.

Apologies to everyone who got confused but this was more a matter of someone misreading the Japanese than anything else.

Uchuu Kyoudai is officially ??? number of episodes .
Thanks for clearing things up. Everyone thought they were shortchanged or something like that.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:02   Link #82
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Man, the potential for this series is off the roof. This very may well end up on my all time favourites list alongside Planetes if I think this is what it's going to be. Can't believe we are gonna get 51 episodes of this. Absolutely brilliant opener. It marked a strong but subtle impression of optimism behind an obvious mask of cynicism. Which is exactly how Planetes started as well. The bigger brother might be cynical now, but mark my words... he's gonna manage to "reach the stars" once the series reaches about the halfway mark, much like Hachimaki from Planetes started of as a cynical space junk collector to later becoming one of the most prominent figures in that story's history. If I think this is what it is, this is gonna be one of those underdog but optimistic, achieving your dreams whilst facing massive hurdles along the way type of series. In others words, completely my type of story.

Perfect 10/10 for this opening episode. Damn... I can't remember the last time I did... (oh nvm Hanasaku Iroha.. but fwak you PA and your episode 3 . But I'm sure Uchuu Kyoudai won't be like this :3. And aside from that I can't remember an opening ep I rated 10/10 lol)

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-04-03 at 08:01.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:40   Link #83
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Thanks for clearing things up. Everyone thought they were shortchanged or something like that.
That also means we are still in the dark regarding the number of episodes. So, the worst, or the best I pray for it, can come out of it.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:04   Link #84
sa547
*Author

Somebody forgot to mention about Zidane's headbutt, among other sports shoutouts.

Just to remind myself the names:
Mutta Namba (elder) - the ex-car designer (but has a degree in mechanical engineering)
Hibito Namba (younger) - the astronaut

Both of them are roughly in their mid-30s.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-04-03 at 08:59.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 08:22   Link #85
com_gwp

Holy, this...is really, really good.

Why doesn't Japan use more middle aged protagonist? Mutta's an amazing compelling protagonist, and that the issues he faces hitting home so closely only serves to make his character all the more engaging. The last protag to really strike a chord with me like that was Kotetsu from T&B.

And the directing for the episode was really, really well done. Bravo to the production team. If this keeps up Space Bros will definitely be one for the books.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 08:29   Link #86
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Did I just hear Tiger saying that he was going to Mars?

I am really impressed with this anime. Just a single episode already brought me from the nice funny moments to relatable sadness and then heartwarming happiness. It's always so refreshing to watch a story about a man in his thirties who is still so funny and likeable among tons of shows having a bunch of teenagers with reused plots and problems. The source material seems to receive many praises as well, which make me feel even more positive. And it's 48+ episodes? Count me in. This will be an awesome ride.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 08:32   Link #87
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I might be wrong on this but I'm really really glad to see A-1 pictures using their hard earnt money in 2011 (seriously this studio earnt the most amount of money in 2011 between 3 blockbuster titles in Anohana, Ao no Exorcist and Idolmaster) and using it to create an mature, adult-orientated, non-otakuish anime. I actually heard that this is airing on NTV or something and that it's on daytime television. If it is, holy shit. That's make me even more pumped.

And yeh, I forgot to mention the sport references. Lol Zidane headbutt. I also forgot to mention one thing. The OP song... flashback to the 1980s/90s fellas. Awesome optimistic song with a oldschool yet still freshly modern taste.

It saddens me that this series has to air in such an unforunate season where Hyouka, Fate Zero and Medaka Box are airing. I mean I'm 99% sure none of these three titles will give me the same level of satisfaction that this anime will give in the long run but without a doubt this series will be left in the dark. Same with Sakamichi no Appollon (which btw is going to really need to step up its game considering I expected THAT to be my favourite of the season). Heck, I enjoyed Space Bros more than the first episode of Game of Thrones S2. How's that for fanboyism :3

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-04-03 at 08:57.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 09:48   Link #88
leokiko

I was one of the few that had this on my top 1 of most anticipated list, so it's nice to see that it turned out to be actually BETTER than the manga.

Another thing: There won't be many people knowing what will happen after episode 4~5 since there is only 1 volume scanlated of the manga.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 10:05   Link #89
sa547
*Author

I'm doing some extra research for this show, especially considering about the cancelled Constellation space program which would've revived interest in exploration.

As Mutta expressed his desire to go one step further, it'll be nice to see what if the Constellation program were to be approved, which would include the use of the powerful Ares V launch vehicle in action, and then they go fly out not just to the Moon but also Mars (which would justify the show's longer length).

Last edited by sa547; 2012-04-03 at 12:05.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 11:27   Link #90
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Somebody forgot to mention about Zidane's headbutt, among other sports shoutouts.

Just to remind myself the names:
Mutta Namba (elder) - the ex-car designer (but has a degree in mechanical engineering)
Hibito Namba (younger) - the astronaut

Both of them are roughly in their mid-30s.
Mutta 35, Hibito 32.

I can't help but LOL at seeing guys in their early 30's called "middle-aged". Need you ask why anime doesn't program more "middle-aged" protagonists when you consider the target demographic?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 14:58   Link #91
com_gwp

^Well, it's definitely past the point where you can call them young adults.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 17:08   Link #92
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Mutta 35, Hibito 32.

I can't help but LOL at seeing guys in their early 30's called "middle-aged".
Seriously. ^^;; It's like in Tiger & Bunny when it turned out that Kotetsu is supposed to be in his middle thirties, at most. And yet the show keeps treating him as if he was in his forties at the very least.

....GUYS, EARLY THIRTIES =/= OLD! (damn you Japan, stop making me feel like I should just get retired already )
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 17:15   Link #93
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I actually heard that this is airing on NTV or something and that it's on daytime television. If it is, holy shit. That's make me even more pumped.
As far as I'm aware, it airs on ytv at 7AM every Sunday. I kinda wonder what kind of child will tune into this when Battle Spirit Heroes airs at the same time.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 22:32   Link #94
KilluaX90

Wait, how can you guys miscalculate their age? Mutta was born in 1993, Hibito was born in 1996, and the story starts in 2025... That means Hibito is still (barely) in his twenties
KilluaX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 05:52   Link #95
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Looks like an underrated anime again.
I really liked the first episode , this show have potentials.
Mutta is an hilarious character. "ZIDAAANE" killed me
I laughed so much when they show the bulldog's cry face ^^
I also liked the little details , like when Mutta went to MADO and ate the last french fry
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 12:43   Link #96
klare

one born with black afro and another with blond hair, are they really brothers? but they do have very close connections in a way as they switch on the lights at the same time

not sure will there be any real aliens, the story with Mutta at the centre feels interesting and this is a very good first eps
Old 2012-04-04, 15:17   Link #97
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

This anime has a good vibe that I haven't felt in a while. It's one of those anime I hope will be success. The lead character kind of reminded me of Onizuka but not as outrageous and perverted as him but has that same very energetic and quick mood swing. The episode was hilarious and heartfelt at the same time.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 17:06   Link #98
Echoes

Everything I think has already been said; this was a unique and excellent first episode!

The music that was played throughout the episode was another important aspect of why this worked so well for me. It felt very cinematic.
Old 2012-04-05, 02:47   Link #99
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
one born with black afro and another with blond hair
Just look at the parents you'll know why. Let's say Mutta = Mom , Hibito = Dad.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 09:17   Link #100
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Although with the disclaimer that they're not endorsing the show, just let the producers use the emblem throughout, NASA should be promoting it instead to keep the awareness about space exploration alive, despite that they've been set back several times by those budget cuts as well as the retirement of the entire shuttle fleet.
First, I'm pretty sure NASA doesn't want to endorse the content of a show that opens with a UFO sighting!

I also don't see much value in them "promoting" the show if you mean promoting it in the US. (I see no value for them promoting the show in foreign countries.) There might be a few hundred people in the US who will watch this show making its promotional value pretty much nil. Also, contemporary politics both within and without NASA makes the entire concept of manned space exploration controversial at best. Watching the scene where they announce the plans to establish the moon base made me think immediately of Newt Gingrich. I don't think NASA is in any position to endorse the notion of human space exploration and colonization at the moment.

I know using robots for space exploration isn't as dramatic or uplifting as sending humans. On the other hand, I'd much rather send sophisticated robots to explore remote planets than run a shuttle service to a platform in low-earth orbit. The Shuttle program was mundane and unromantic. It's not surprising to me that Americans lost interest in space travel when we weren't actually going anywhere.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen